What's new

General/Other New Sub Zero player.

I mained Ermac since the game came out. Now, I'm beginning to feel he is limited. Badly. So I wanted a more versatile character and picked up Sub Zero.

This is what I know so far and can easily execute in the game. Here is my combo arsenal:

1) Jump in punch, B + 1, 2, freeze, back dash, jump in punch, 2, 1, 4, slide = 36% combo

2) Jump in punch, B + 1, 2, freeze, back dash, jump in punch, 2, 1, 4, XRAY = 53% combo

From someone jumping in on my clone:

3) NJP, B + 1, 2, 2, 1, 2, slide = 29%

(I don't do an XRAY alternative for above combo as it scales horribly)

Corner Combos:

4) Jump in punch, B + 1, 2, freeze, NJP, NJP, 2, 1, 4, Slide = 41%

5) Jump in punch, B + 1, 2, freeze, NJP, NJP, 2, 1, 4, XRAY = 53%

Here is my strategy for jump ins:

B+1, 2

If not blocked I go to freeze and go for combo 1) or 2)

If blocked, I go to either 1 or 4 to add in a mix up game. 1 is an overhead and 4 is a low.

Technically, you can jump away after the B+1, 2 before the 1 and 4 hit. However, If I see them do this I go for a freeze as they jump back and go for combo #3 as I can NJP them as they're frozen trying to jump away. The overhead does a stun and grants me a free jump in.

If they catch on to that and make it risky for me, I go for B+1, 2 and go into clone.

However, I still suck. I think it's mostly that I don't know how to react to people zoning me because I don't have experience with the character yet.

Also, I have trouble doing a jump in B+1, 2. Sometimes it doesn't come out. wtf?

Anyways, can some Sub players give me some of their experiences in situations? Constant teleporters, low fireball Kangs and Sindels, etc.

Eight

I am the salt
Welcome to the club, krebs.

You shouldn't be using b12 outside of combos. It's slow and has glacial recovery. jip22 ~ freeze if not blocked, jip224 ~ clone if blocked is much, much safer.

Against teleporters, pop a clone and dash in front of it. Bait a tele by a throwing an ice ball, then punish away.

Sindel gives me ulcers. Dash block is your only friend in this match-up. Same dealio with turtle-kangs.

Imo, playing Sub is like paddling a sinking canoe through a lake of fire. It's a brutal fucking slog most of the time, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Now see, I these match up are so tough for my Sub I just say screw it and Ermac my way into victory.

So despite that B+1, 2 does my damage and I can hit confirm into a freeze, clone, low, or overhead it's a poor choice for jump in punch ins? Also, B+1, 2 does 3% more damage to his combos and 5% (I think) extra to X-RAY combos. (#1 and #2 for reference)

Eight

I am the salt
Now see, I these match up are so tough for my Sub I just say screw it and Ermac my way into victory.

So despite that B+1, 2 does my damage and I can hit confirm into a freeze, clone, low, or overhead it's a poor choice for jump in punch ins? Also, B+1, 2 does 3% more damage to his combos and 5% (I think) extra to X-RAY combos. (#1 and #2 for reference)
Damage is not SZ's strongest area and not what you should be concentrating on as him.

What you should be going for is set-ups and traps. Constant screen control. Sub owns the screen like nobody else.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
playing Sub is like paddling a sinking canoe through a lake of fire. It's a brutal fucking slog most of the time.
Sub Zero - the only character you'll actually see the timer hit 0 with! I play an aggressive sub, ocassionally, it works most of the time. Throws people off lol

Damage is not SZ's strongest area and not what you should be concentrating on as him.

What you should be going for is set-ups and traps. Constant screen control. Sub owns the screen like nobody else.
Seems like the inner Ermac in me trying to optimize damage.

Eight

I am the salt
Seems like the inner Ermac in me trying to optimize damage.
Gotta break that habit, bro. Like in the corner, for example, it's best to sacrifice the slide at the end of a combo (unless the combo would kill your opponent) in order to give yourself time to set another blocking clone up.

lol :)

I think b+1,2 is great after JIPs. Stick with it. There's no reason to use 2,2 after a JIP, because you already know you'll be hitting them, so the speed doesn't matter. But stop doing the follow-ups, it's not worth the risk. As you said, you can Clone on block (which remains nice and close to the opp), but you're at at least +0 on block anyway, so you can continue your pressure.

Your combos are fine, but end corner-combos with 2,2,2 as it gives you plenty of time to set up a Clone nice and close, and to then start blocking a wake-up attack, or mounting your offence.

For teleporters I like to use b+2 to fake an Ice Blast, then dash into a low attack. You should be able to do b+2, dash, d+1 xx Freeze, (b+1),2, 2,1,2 xx Slide.

And you can outzone most zoners just by having your ice on screen before they put something on screen. However, Sindel can low-fireball under your ice, so be wary of that. Kang is an easy match-up: Trade projectiles if he wants to zone, and keep him out with Clones if he wants to rush you down.

EDIT: Oh, and if you really wanna optimize dmg: JIP b+1,2 xx Freeze, NJP, dash, 1, b+1,2, 2,1,2 xx Slide - 38%

Having said all that about b+1,2, though... It's not necessarily more dmg than 2,2, really, because 2,2,4 is 1% more chip on block. Just depends on how often the opp is getting hit or blocking...

However, I'd say use b+1,2 when you KNOW your JIP will land, like for whiff-punishing and such, and use 2,2 the rest of the time. But it's up to you, these are the things that create unique players and play-styles.