What's new

My Experience with MKX

I wouldn't worry about it.

Think of it as the command for running is ForwardForward(block). Its almost like a special move. If a special move was ff(attack) or backback(attack) its not as if its a huge issue that youll come out with that certain special if you want to normal dash into someone's face and press that (attack) button.

It's not Mk9 style but in the end this game will have more mobility. I think everyone will love out once were accustomed.
Yeah, I think they'll make it like this:

If a dash has 20 frames, only the first 1-5 frames will result in running if you press/hold block. But if you start holding block on the 6-20th frame then it won't trigger the run command.

Last edited:

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Incorporating run into the block button and getting rid of dash cancelling points towards NRS trying to get players to just walk more. Character walk speeds will be a huge factor in this game.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Can't they just use the stance switch button as the run button? Would cause less problems and they wouldn't even have to remove stance switch. Just make it switch your stance if you press it normally and run if you hold it during a dash..
This would possibly be the best solution, someone send this message to NRS, and by someone I mean someone who keeps in touch with them. :).

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
This would possibly be the best solution, someone send this message to NRS, and by someone I mean someone who keeps in touch with them. :).
"Solution" kind of implies there is a problem. This isn't even an issue yet. The game isn't even close to out.

Just because a few people who had to wait in line to play MkX for a few minutes couldn't master the mechanic as soon as they picked it up doesn't mean its an issue. It just means its new.

They also couldn't fully grasp Kotal Kahn in the very short time they had but it doesn't mean he's ass and should be buffed already. I wouldn't worry that much about it at this point.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
"Solution" kind of implies there is a problem. This isn't even an issue yet. The game isn't even close to out.

Just because a few people who had to wait in line to play MkX for a few minutes couldn't master the mechanic as soon as they picked it up doesn't mean its an issue. It just means its new.

They also couldn't fully grasp Kotal Kahn in the very short time they had but it doesn't mean he's ass and should be buffed already. I wouldn't worry that much about it at this point.
I think it is a problem because is counterintuitive, you know, trying to block an attack and start running instead, well... I mean if sometimes you press the block button to actually block and sometimes you press it to run and go straight to get punished, then it is at least an unnecesary complexity that could be avoided by implementing the idea our fellow TYM user, Dark, suggested.

did we experiment with anti-airs??? this is necessary for footsies... i am wondering if specials might play a bigger role in anti-airing but nrs likes to create anti-air specials that aren't that effective always.

this walk speed shit sounds right down my alley hopefully it forces some players i know to attempt to adapt and learn spacing... but anti-airs are necessary for controlling space.

stance switch makes sense htough... he has a point... that button could prove to actually have utility.

trufenix

bye felicia
its been said more than a hundred times that paolo hates dash blocking. Behold, the fruits of that harvest. Besides, 16bit (you know, one of the best mk9 players) has and probably will continue to play the game throughout its development. If the new run system was some unadaptable train wreck, they'd know.

Yeah, I think they'll make it like this:

If a dash has 20 frames, only the first 1-5 frames will result in running if you press/hold block. But if you start holding block on the 6th frame then it won't trigger the run command.
From what I saw in Casselman's post, I don't think this is the case. He said you can hit forward twice, and don't need to still be holding forward in order to press block and cancel into a run. I guess you can say it's possible to input the forwards, let go, and then press block within the 5 frame window- but that's such a tight window it might as well be the same as an Injustice bounce cancel command. Saying "you no longer need to be holding forward when you press the block button to dash" infers enough time has passed between inputting the dash and blocking that it's probably not limited to just the very-early startup.

I definitely hope there is a limit, because otherwise it will end in alot of accidental runs- but really, I'd rather them just let use choose to use the stance-switch button instead.

The Kombat Tether's info about Scorpion makes me want to play him.

I'll still give Cassie and Kano a try.

I can't wait to experience Cassie's full X-ray.

Last edited:
Incorporating run into the block button and getting rid of dash cancelling points towards NRS trying to get players to just walk more. Character walk speeds will be a huge factor in this game.
If they want us to walk more, that's fine.

But we should be walking for gameplay/strategy reason. I don't think it's a good idea to use possible-controller-errors as a way to get use to avoid something.

Kinda reminds me of Ivy from Soul Calibur 2. It's like Namco was saying "We're going to give this character ridiculously dumb OP moves, but we don't want you to do them too much so we are going to make you get Carpel Tunnel and Tendonitis on your wrists to discourage you from doing them too much"

Though for the record- I don't think that's what NRS is doing. I think they'd put the run button where the stance switch button was- but they're worried it will conflict with x-ray attacks.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
MK players will definitely have to adapt. :p

I for one welcome this change because I always like the idea of having to commit to unsafe reads. Plus there will also be the stamina to manage so you'll have to think a lot more about your mobility options.

Being able to cancel dashes is an anomaly in fighting games. Play SF for a bit you'll get used to it. It's not a big deal. It's just going to be funny to see MK9 players running head first into random X-rays LOL.
There's a huge difference between having to commit to a dash, which I also welcome, and having the same button utilized for the polar opposite actions of blocking after that dash to bait something or running headfirst into whatever it is you were trying to bait. Block is a defensive mechanic and running leaves you free as a bird. There's no way dashing into both should be accomplished with the same button, especially taking latency and lag into account with online play.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Some people still pushing for hopes of a "dash cancel" lol I actually don't mind NRS's newer philosophy on the no dash cancelling. People that want that run button just want a tool to cancel into block(a la UMK3) I think if anything this game while it may be easier than MK 9 to get in via the running, better dashing etc will also favor or at least be fitted for more zoning and defensive players, because they confirmed if you dash run you can't cancel it into block it's a commitment lol.:cool:

trufenix

bye felicia
Some people still pushing for hopes of a "dash cancel" lol I actually don't mind NRS's newer philosophy on the no dash cancelling. People that want that run button just want a tool to cancel into block(a la UMK3) I think if anything this game while it may be easier than MK 9 to get in via the running, better dashing etc will also favor or at least be fitted for more zoning and defensive players, because they confirmed if you dash run you can't cancel it into block it's a commitment lol.:cool:
Not that I've played it, but I think the concept is if you're getting a run, your dash wasn't over, and you wouldn't be able to block anyway. People might think they're being cheated out of their blocks by accidental runs at first, but I think the learning curve is going to be understanding (like Injustice) that without dash cancelling, an NRS style full distance dash is a pretty unsafe thing.

SF4 has little baby dashes and marvel, tekken, guilty, etc have big dramatic dashes that you're generally free to do whatever out of so it seems unnatural, but way back when there was a HUGE blow up about Morrigan's dash not being block cancellable when UMVC3 came out and everybody thought well, that's the end of morrigan, she'll never dash again, yet Chris G continues to show that she is one of the most mobile characters in the game.

sf3 has a very similar situation because its dashes (while definitely briefer than mks) are completely unsafe and uncancellable. As a result, you really only see dashes for spacing on knockdown or from exceptionally ballsy players who aren't fighting chun li.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Not that I've played it, but I think the concept is if you're getting a run, your dash wasn't over, and you wouldn't be able to block anyway. People might think they're being cheated out of their blocks by accidental runs at first, but I think the learning curve is going to be understanding (like Injustice) that without dash cancelling, an NRS style full distance dash is a pretty unsafe thing.

SF4 has little baby dashes and marvel, tekken, guilty, etc have big dramatic dashes that you're generally free to do whatever out of so it seems unnatural, but way back when there was a HUGE blow up about Morrigan's dash not being block cancellable when UMVC3 came out and everybody thought well, that's the end of morrigan, she'll never dash again, yet Chris G continues to show that she is one of the most mobile characters in the game.

sf3 has a very similar situation because its dashes (while definitely briefer than mks) are completely unsafe and uncancellable. As a result, you really only see dashes for spacing on knockdown or from exceptionally ballsy players who aren't fighting chun li.
They can probably tweak the mechanic so that people don't dash instead or block or accidentally run I mean in MK X, however the change at first I wasn't sure how I felt but I support it because honestly MK 9 at times turned WAY too defensive and I didn't like how you could cancel certain moves that were already pretty damn safe (ie Reptile's dash, KL's spin etc) I know they fixed it but it took a ton of updates to do so. Personally, I'd like it if they made more general cancelling moves like Raiden's electric ball I heard from Casselman that they made it so you can cancel it(like MK vs. DCU he had that option) as someone who mained him in that game, it was VERY useful. Same for say Rain's super kick(I know geyser but I call it super lol) Sektor's doggy leg, Ermac's back2, Sub's back2 etc, etc it makes for tons of mind games.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
hell stance switch could be used to alter-specials in trajectory and power without meter burning ... could make a more interesting game experience.
They actually could use any button for that, although I haven't played NRS games for a while and I can't think of any examples besides something like f2/f2d for Bane. Also something with KL's horizontal hat.

I can't wait to experience Cassie's full X-ray.
That sounded wrong.

They actually could use any button for that, although I haven't played NRS games for a while and I can't think of any examples besides something like f2/f2d for Bane. Also something with KL's horizontal hat.

That sounded wrong.

they use rb for grab, rt for mb and block, lb for interactables (or vice versa with grab), 1234 for hits/traits, that last button is being underutilized and could spicen up the game mechanics... but you are right they could use grab for it just as much.