What's new

My Experience with MKX

Macdaddy

STEAM: Bloodychaos2 XBOX: Macdaddy256969
I had the opportunity of playing MKX this weekend at FanExpo in Toronto. Just wanted to comment as it sure hasn't been in the public at all. This build had 8 characters: Scorp, Sub, Raiden, Kano, D'Vorah, Ferra/Tor, Kotal Kahn and Cassie Cage. I was only able to play 6 matches so take everything with a grain of salt I did not have that much time - hard to absorb it all.

I played as Kano (cybernetics), Kotal Kahn (warmaster), Raiden (teleport), Sub (clone version), and Scorp (hellfire)

The First thing I noticed was that there is absolutely no dash cacelling, dashing is a committment. And I found myself accidently running across the screen at times. Movement seems extremely fast with all characters and manueving with the interactables adds to that. It feels as though mobility and 'getting in' will not be an issue, just based on dash speed. A lot of the buttons were remapped on familiar abilities which was weird for me as well (scorp spear is always gonna be bb1 to me but its bf1 like in IGAU.) also Sub's iceball is df2. One logical remap was kanos roll which was bf1 instead of the 4 directional inputs which were cumbersome imo.

Never saw Raiden's or Cassie Cages Xrays before. They were AMAZING. Raidens sends the opponent into the sky like Shazam and then comes down with a bane knightfall knee and severs the spine. Cassie Cage's x ray has her nutpunch HARD so hard that it actually shows the tesitcles bursting! WTF moment for all viewers. After writing this I realized that I did see Raiden Xray in his gameplay vid ---- it is not at all the same as what I saw clearly. Either they changed it or there are multiple Xrays.

Again it was hard to tell - but most normals seemed fairly slow and seemed to often put both players in long negatives on block- hard to tell though. Kano seemed extremely strong with zoning and faster than most normals. The graphics are beautiful - most notably Jungle which is just a feast on the eyes.

I also noticed that every character has 2 different jump punches and 2 different jump kicks. Also you can uppercut crouching opponents.

Every person I saw who played the game was totally taken with it - so impressed and hype was strong. This is all I got for now.

If ya got any questions lemme know.

Last edited:

Yinze

"Tell me, do you bleed?...You will."
I thought we've already seen Raiden's x-ray in his reveal video against Kotal Kahn? Is there 2?

Macdaddy

How was Kotal Kahn? I will cringe everytime I see Cassie's X-Ray...
he was the first i played i am most interested in him at this point. I had a bad go with him he was like the only one i lost with (lol maybe im salty) - but i didnt like him. every normal i used seemed sooo slow. and i chose the big sword variation and you can throw it for like 50 frames start up. he felt horrible to me but again take it with a grain of salt he was my 1st. cool as hell though

Last edited:

Macdaddy

I thought we've already seen Raiden's x-ray in his reveal video against Kotal Kahn? Is there 2?
dude.... you're right I KNEW I SAW HIM DO AN XRAY ON THE GAMEPLAY VID. BUT YES HE DID DO THE ONE I EXPLAINED. Multiple xrays confirmed (maybe not confirmed i suppose its possible they changed it) you just blew my mind i just realized. I know what i saw though. his xray was what i explained.

Macdaddy

I only have one question did you have the oppurtunity to figure out what button does what?Like are the buttons the same as MK9 or Injustice?

Actually another question, what button is switch stance ?:DOGE
It was the same as MK9 FP BP FK BK (or so it seemed). didnt ever try to switch stance lol but itd have to be lt cause i used every other button (rb interactable lb grab rt block)

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
The First thing I noticed was that there is absolutely no dash cacelling, dashing is a committment.
And I found myself accidently running across the screen at times.
Movement seems extremely fast with all characters and manueving with the interactables adds to that.
It feels as though mobility and 'getting in' will not be an issue, just based on dash speed.
A lot of the buttons were remapped on familiar abilities which was weird for me as well (scorp spear is always gonna be bb1 to me but its bf1 like in IGAU.) also Sub's iceball is df2.
One logical remap was kanos roll which was bf1 instead of the 4 directional inputs which were cumbersome imo.
Again it was hard to tell - but most normals seemed fairly slow and seemed to often put both players in long negatives on block- hard to tell though.
The graphics are beautiful - most notably Jungle which is just a feast on the eyes.
:(
:(
:)
:mad:
:eek:

They need to change the run feature so it wouldn't come when you don't want it. I like the inputs change, but will miss some though, it could be great if they implement something like SSF2T HDR where you can do the specials with 2 different inputs (classic and remixed). Those slow normals, *sigh*, c'mon NRS!! I like the overall new pace it seems to have though.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Again it was hard to tell - but most normals seemed fairly slow and seemed to often put both players in long negatives on block- hard to tell though.
Hehe, that's crazy -- that's literally the opposite of what @Casselman said today. But what you describe is what it looks like from the videos.

Macdaddy

Hehe, that's crazy -- that's literally the opposite of what @Casselman said today. But what you describe is what it looks like from the videos.
i was afraid of even posting that cause its so hard to tell. i could have just been inputting too slow or just being bad; i also only picked 1-2 strings with characters and could easily have just chosen the worst ones.

Macdaddy

How was raiden?
raiden seemed really good to me. he was by far the most familiar of them all. i tried 334 superman just hoping itd return and it did something similar (i think just 34 superman) all his buttons were the same for specials. extremely familiar raiden, whereas the rest of the returning cast seemed completely alien to me

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
So they either changed Raiden's Xray or he has two? I liked the one we saw, pretty badass. All well. One thing I can totally see happening are players doing commands for wrong variations after a while lol

First I was like "boo!" to NJP returning but he said they're slower frames(thank god) I hated doing cross ups and randomly getting nailed by that(lame) to me it made cross ups moot in MK 9 at times.(when uppercuts, blocking and pokes dealt with it already)

NJK's can't lead to combos? Hmmm well I rarely did that as I'm sure most did, still I wished they make those like UMK3, MK2 etc. They seem almost useless now. :(

Oh yes, Raiden's electric ball can be cancelled? Sweet! I did that all the time in MK vs. DCU, SOOOO useful for mind games let me tell ya.

I intend on maining Raiden and Scorpion for sure, but not before Fujin and Ermac(if they make it)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm terrified that you not only have to commit to a dash but now also have to fear going into a full-blown spring towards your enemies fist if you try to block coming off that dash. Wtf.
There's probably a frame in the dash after which you can no longer run and just go into the block animation. So if you aren't mashing, you will probably get used to the timing and be ok.

At least, that's what I'd guess.

Macdaddy

I'm terrified that you not only have to commit to a dash but now also have to fear going into a full-blown spring towards your enemy's fist if you try to block coming off that dash. Wtf.
ya i got caught doing that a lot. the dash thing hit me the hardest changed everything lol