What's new

Multi-tier stages in MKX?

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
And appearance in IGAU somehow alienates any MK elements used there? Quick, MKX should drop normals, specials, supers, throws, blocking *list goes on* because that's IGAU.

Traits aren't even a thing. Some special gets bound to a single button at a price of overloading normals with directional inputs even when sometimes said special isn't even needed in the MU or even at all, and suddenly it not only deserves separate name, but is IGAU-specific on top of that? Please. Neither cooldowns nor stances are "injustice things" in the first place. They were all over the place in both FGs and non-FGs since like forever.

I wonder how comes people consider IGAU to be some kind of taint you can't wash off and anything that got touched by it should remain under strict quarantine called "IGAU franchise". Geez.
Lol you can't be serious, you obviously don't know what I mean, you really are a genius

Something being an "injustice thing" doesn't mean that the game was the first to do it, the IP didn't exist until 2013 and fighting games existed for over 20 years before so did you really think I meant the feature originated in that game? Please don't insult my intelligence that much lol it just means among the 2 IPs NRS is currently producing that feature is one that distinguishes the 2 franchises from eachother, for example back to block is an injustice thing but nobody is saying it invented back to block and super moves as well

If you're gonna attempt to argue with me at least come at me with something competent ^_^ have a nice day

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
The stage transitions mentioned in the original post were specifically not like the ones in Injustice. Transitions in MK3 or MKD for example don't take much time and don't do significant damage. Why compare those to Injustice's?

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
So MKX seems to be taking a couple of aspects of older MK games and revamping them - running, interactibles etc. However, there's one other thing that, IMO, would be really cool if it was revitalised - multi-tier stages.

Remember how in MK3 you could uppercut your opponent on certain stages, and they would end up crashing onto a higher story? Well, I've thought of a way that it could potentially mesh well with MKX's system.

Basically, uppercuts would become sort of similar to b3s in Injustice, in that if you uppercut your opponent while they're in mid-air, this would force them through the ceiling and onto the higher level. When this happens, your opponent takes 6% unscaled damage on top of the uppercut damage. This could make it a useful combo ender, or a universal means of gaining decent unbreakerable damage. Furthermore, you could choose where your character lands in relation to your opponent. Holding right means you land right next to them, holding left means you land far away, and not holding anything means you land at around jump distance.

What might also be interesting is if you could knock your opponent down onto a lower story as well. In this case, landing NJP in mid-air would achieve the effect and, like the above mentioned uppercut, would deal 6% unscaled damage to the opponent, and you could choose where you landed in relation to your opponent.

Do you reckon it could work?
While I admire your enthusiasm I believe Ed Boon has already confirmed that the answer is no.

I was really disappointed...also interactables are blockable if I'm not mistaken.

Regardless MK X will an outstanding game...BET IT!!!

Skellington

Banned
visit my other posts in this thread pls
I just did. I still didn't read anything convincing. Stage transitions have been around since the old MKs and aren't unique to Injustice and it seems I am with the majority on this opinion. Only difference is amount of detail/damage in the transition.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
I just did. I still didn't read anything convincing. Stage transitions have been around since the old MKs and aren't unique to Injustice and it seems I am with the majority on this opinion. Only difference is amount of detail/damage in the transition.
im just gonna facepalm and walk away
hopefully youre only 15 and itll make sense when you get older lol

I think it's a little too late for this. This is the kind of thing you need to have already planned out in pre-production.

If they didn't plan on doing this it's not going to happen. They already planned the level design and are not going to implement new mechanics because yes it's a mechanic that will directly impact balance not just a quick stage transition.

It would also make stages require 3x the amount of work which they probably don't want to do. Unlike MK9/Injustice they are making next gen stages with a lot more action and detail going on in the back. So multiple tier stages would be hard to optimize I think and just increase the chances it would lag.

Not to mention it would look goofy and wouldn't fit with the overall direction of MKX. This kind of stuff fits in UMK3 because everything is over the top silly and has some humor to it.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
im just gonna facepalm and walk away
hopefully youre only 15 and itll make sense when you get older lol
The only thing you've posted on the matter was the following:
...it just means among the 2 IPs NRS is currently producing that feature is one that distinguishes the 2 franchises from eachother...
Which is nothing but random statement with no backup. How MK feature adopted by IGAU can be something that distinguishes IGAU from MK? Make some sense please instead of throwing around unfounded and illogical assertions and ad hominem attacks.

SZSR

Noob
I'm with Barrogh here, interactables is really what sets apart Injustice from the past MKs. Stage transition isn't really new, the only real difference here is that there's a certain command and condition to do it in INJ.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
I'd rather have an opportunity to do an interactive, fun, uppercut or neutral jump punch combo conversion, if I successfully anti-air somebody. Continuing to reward myself after landing a hit is fun-- its the basic hook with combos in fighting games.
There would need to be an option select better than using a useful normal.

Dirtylova

YOLO FLYING GRAYSON BICH
I'd rather have an opportunity to do an interactive, fun, uppercut or neutral jump punch combo conversion, if I successfully anti-air somebody. Continuing to reward myself after landing a hit is fun-- its the basic hook with combos in fighting games.
There would need to be an option select better than using a useful normal.

I wish you could control ed baffoons mind

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I'm with Barrogh here, interactables is really what sets apart Injustice from the past MKs. Stage transition isn't really new, the only real difference here is that there's a certain command and condition to do it in INJ.
I actually agree that interactables and even transitions are strongly associated with IGAU these days (courtesy of that game being most recent, and only Boon's game that features both of those while having fanbase that takes the game seriously as competitive game), but let's look at big picture we're getting.

Interactables were actually present in earlier MK games, I definitely remember throwable stuff in some 3D games, plus there were some other kind of them apparently (deathtraps?). Now they are back in MKX, and even though some people don't quite like the idea due to their impressions on how it was implemented in IGAU, it's not quite "an IGAU thing". Maybe IGAU is the only modern and alive game (definitely holds true if we narrow it down to "NRS game") that has them, but it's going to change. Similarly, transitions were implemented in early 2D games, were featured in IGAU, and if NRS decides to implement something vaguely similar into MKX, there will hardly be a valid reason to call it "IGAU thing" as well.

Tbh whether it is associated with another game or not is largely irrelevant. A *feature* is either going to work because *development factors, implementation quality, general gameplay interaction and other reasons*, or not.