What's new

Multi-tier stages in MKX?

So MKX seems to be taking a couple of aspects of older MK games and revamping them - running, interactibles etc. However, there's one other thing that, IMO, would be really cool if it was revitalised - multi-tier stages.

Remember how in MK3 you could uppercut your opponent on certain stages, and they would end up crashing onto a higher story? Well, I've thought of a way that it could potentially mesh well with MKX's system.

Basically, uppercuts would become sort of similar to b3s in Injustice, in that if you uppercut your opponent while they're in mid-air, this would force them through the ceiling and onto the higher level. When this happens, your opponent takes 6% unscaled damage on top of the uppercut damage. This could make it a useful combo ender, or a universal means of gaining decent unbreakerable damage. Furthermore, you could choose where your character lands in relation to your opponent. Holding right means you land right next to them, holding left means you land far away, and not holding anything means you land at around jump distance.

What might also be interesting is if you could knock your opponent down onto a lower story as well. In this case, landing NJP in mid-air would achieve the effect and, like the above mentioned uppercut, would deal 6% unscaled damage to the opponent, and you could choose where you landed in relation to your opponent.

Do you reckon it could work?

ScorpionRules!!!92

I no longer main characters on any fighting games.
Yes I love Multi Tiered Stages in not only Injustice Gods Among Us, Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate, Dead or Alive 3, Dead or Alive 4, Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Mortal Kombat Deception and Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe along with great characters and great Story Modes in each of the listed games of course.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Multi tiered stages like in DOA might work. But I think Boon stressed that this game isn't going for the super hero scale that Injustice satisfied. Stage transitions (ala Injustice)are all but hinted at being cut from the game, but it might be possible to have part of a stage opened up, or an uppercut taking you to the ceiling. Remember the lagoon section of Batcave when the game was first announced? The barrels to the right had a small cutscene initially. Who's to say yet until we hear more details.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I don't really want it.

It's kinda neat, but it also causes the stages to feel less unique, because two stages tend to have to share a theme with each other.

I would prefer just having 30 completely separate and unique stages.

Decay

King of the Bill
I think it would be too gimmicky and so far what we have seen from mkx, they are trying to take away the gimmicks and make it more straight up fighting and blocking

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Multi tiered stages like in DOA might work. But I think Boon stressed that this game isn't going for the super hero scale that Injustice satisfied. Stage transitions (ala Injustice)are all but hinted at being cut from the game, but it might be possible to have part of a stage opened up, or an uppercut taking you to the ceiling. Remember the lagoon section of Batcave when the game was first announced? The barrels to the right had a small cutscene initially. Who's to say yet until we hear more details.

I like this idea. Like in Museum or Batcave where doing a wallbounce to the right side of the stage makes the stage bigger.

Maybe for MKX just doing a corner juggle should open up a stage a bit. Or hell, any collision like in SF4 (though in SF4 it's just aesthetics).

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Yeah I just want the fundamentals that MK is known for. And the characters much more balanced with relation to each other. No more top tier Kabal and bottom tier Sheeva. I think variations will help a lot.

So MKX seems to be taking a couple of aspects of older MK games and revamping them - running, interactibles etc. However, there's one other thing that, IMO, would be really cool if it was revitalised - multi-tier stages.

Remember how in MK3 you could uppercut your opponent on certain stages, and they would end up crashing onto a higher story? Well, I've thought of a way that it could potentially mesh well with MKX's system.

Basically, uppercuts would become sort of similar to b3s in Injustice, in that if you uppercut your opponent while they're in mid-air, this would force them through the ceiling and onto the higher level. When this happens, your opponent takes 6% unscaled damage on top of the uppercut damage. This could make it a useful combo ender, or a universal means of gaining decent unbreakerable damage. Furthermore, you could choose where your character lands in relation to your opponent. Holding right means you land right next to them, holding left means you land far away, and not holding anything means you land at around jump distance.

What might also be interesting is if you could knock your opponent down onto a lower story as well. In this case, landing NJP in mid-air would achieve the effect and, like the above mentioned uppercut, would deal 6% unscaled damage to the opponent, and you could choose where you landed in relation to your opponent.

Do you reckon it could work?
I have been wondering if multi-tier'ed stages would make it into this game as well. I like both of your ideas for juggling them with an uppercut to an upper-tier and NJP them down into the stage below.

I also hope they bring the Pit III stage into this game.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
*Facepalm*
i know that genius, all the elements from injustice came from MK
And appearance in IGAU somehow alienates any MK elements used there? Quick, MKX should drop normals, specials, supers, throws, blocking *list goes on* because that's IGAU.

are you gonna say character traits arent an injustice thing...
Traits aren't even a thing. Some special gets bound to a single button at a price of overloading normals with directional inputs even when sometimes said special isn't even needed in the MU or even at all, and suddenly it not only deserves separate name, but is IGAU-specific on top of that? Please. Neither cooldowns nor stances are "injustice things" in the first place. They were all over the place in both FGs and non-FGs since like forever.

I wonder how comes people consider IGAU to be some kind of taint you can't wash off and anything that got touched by it should remain under strict quarantine called "IGAU franchise". Geez.

Last edited:

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
I honestly prefer that stage-transitions do not make a return appearance in MKX. As the stages must share a similar theme, we objectively have less variety overall. It could be the gimmick of a few stages, but I do not really want them to saturate the stage list resulting in less stages (like Injustice).