What's new

"Mortal Kombat X" will surely have much more than just one "New Feature", says Boon

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@MKF30
Two has an air of mystery and it's certainly well done but it's hardly dark. It's plot is pedestrian, most of the characters are one dimensional, and the arenas are pretty tame too.

Deception has fights in spike covered blood pits, demonic prisons and crumbly towers over fields of death. It's cast includes a guy who breaks his own bones for pleasure, and a serial killing martial artist. For the hat trick, it's premise is that all the previous good guys died and an ancient evil is running roughshod over the realms.
Totally disagree with the MK 2 not being dark. MK 2 was dark because of the mood, the music as well as our first real look at Outworld stages. Also the stage fatalities like the Deadpool left a very unsettling vibe punching a guy into green, nasty looking acid pool with his skeleton popping up floating away was the first big stage fatality in MK to really turn heads. I mean sure the Pit in MK 1 was like wow, that's different lol but I think seeing their body show up again dead floating away really set the mood for the game. Not to mention the fatalities were darker then the first game like take Baraka's for instance, that's actually quite brutal when you think about it, getting impaled then just holding the body there sliding down his blades? lol

Also, if you remember MKT the Pit bottom actually had bloody spikes, people hanging on them, body parts everywhere etc. Deception was dark but not every stage was dark. The living Forest in deception while having that same MK 2 music wasn't as dark as when MK 2 did it with people dying by trees in the background or like MK 9 did it. If you're talking about the prison stage, it wasn't really demonic per-se, they had introduced demons in MK from the NR or races such as the Oni. It had regular characters in there with a deathtrap.

Even the music in MK 2 was far darker then a lot of of the MK games. Though MK 4 was pretty dark too but most forget that game because they hated it, but the fan stage is a pretty damn dark stage. Stages with skulls on the ground you can throw, one stage raining, dark and lightning in the background on a roof etc.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
@MKF30, your opinion is your opinion. I can't take it from you or take off the rose tinted glasses. It seems to me that you're letting the fact that you like MK2 more color your thinking. But everything MK2 has that's dark, MKDe has and more. All the stages, all the fatals, and all the characters. It has no friendships, no greased up muscle men and no guys in pastel ninja costumes. The series hero is a mindless corpse bent on revenge. The story is darker, the characters are darker, the killing is darker (getting eaten to death by pirahnas? No contest).

It does however have a fat guy farting and vomiting on people and Bootsy Collins with wolverine claws. Also, "oh my balls". That is some very silly shit. But MK2 has Shang Tsung making rainbows and Reptile shilling dolls. I call it even.

MKF30

@MKF30, your opinion is your opinion. I can't take it from you or take off the rose tinted glasses. It seems to me that you're letting the fact that you like MK2 more color your thinking. But everything MK2 has that's dark, MKDe has and more. All the stages, all the fatals, and all the characters. It has no friendships, no greased up muscle men and no guys in pastel ninja costumes. The series hero is a mindless corpse bent on revenge. The story is darker, the characters are darker, the killing is darker (getting eaten to death by pirahnas? No contest).

It does however have a fat guy farting and vomiting on people and Bootsy Collins with wolverine claws. Also, "oh my balls". That is some very silly shit. But MK2 has Shang Tsung making rainbows and Reptile shilling dolls. I call it even.
That's fine, so is your opinion. I don't recall me saying I prefer MK 2 more then others(not sure why you'd think that) I'm just saying as not only a huge MK fan but someone who's actually followed the series since MK 1 literally through now, this is my opinion on which MK's are darker. It's obvious that they're all dark games, however some just darker than others. Like you, I have my own opinions on which are darker. I think MK D honestly was the first game since MK 4 honestly after MK 2 came out that is on par if not slightly darker, this I agree or for me MK 2 and MK D are very close. Both games had very dark music, stages etc. You know MK 2 they did that with friendships on purpose right? It was a subliminal statement to all those liberal politicians who bitched over MK "corrupting kids minds, being too gory etc and the soccer moms" etc as more or less a big "Fuck you, you want to bitch over it? Ok we'll bring back double the fatalities and FRIENDSHIPS this time around so you can't complain!"

As far as preference I prefer them all really but that's hard.

Deception had no friendships because they wanted it dark and i'm all for that but also like MK 2, older MK's etc had two fatalities back again, stage transitions etc as I said the friendships were only in MK 2 to send a message to certain groups(if you'd like I can post you the link to MK history confirming this), people etc who bitched over the first game being deemed "too violent omg" I didn't really see LK as the hero in Deception, he was a resurrected corpse by Raiden being corrupted by Quan and Shang's darker energies and being tired of holding back while trying to defend Earthrealm. The main hero in Deception while stupid at times i admit, was Shujinko...

The Oh My balls part was sneaky I admit, though MK as dark as it is does try to add some humor in there once in a while(depending on the game) I felt MK 9 with exception to Cage's scenes were quite serious.

Though in terms of seriousness, darkness I can see MK 2 and MK D being close I'd also add MK 4 and MK 9 to that as well personally. I'm also talking in terms of plot too, MK 2 friendships aside the story was portrayed in a very dark way I felt and added more to the mythos than MK 1 did.

MKF30

True, though I also liked NW, Shang and the robots(though the masks always struck me as mechanical looking the suits looked like BMX guys lol) I liked the fact that unlike other games like SF with Dee Jay or with T. Hawk, Nightwolf had a good, developed backstory which grew over time(but then MK has always had developed or more developed than other fighters easily)

Thought the art perspective that totally is preference, I noticed over time some fans loved the MK 2 style, others MK 3 then the guys who loved MK DA and Deception. MK 9's art. This seems to vary by era of fans getting involved I've noticed and artistic preference(as someone who's an artist myself)

Pretty much the reason why there's demons, other races etc now in MK is cause of the expanded universe of MK introduced within the 3D games ie oni, vampire race, chaosrealm etc, etc all that shit. It's like MK was dark, but turned to a little more "twisted horror" theme for a while there.

Hahahahaha, Jar Jar binks? Man I know so many Star War fans on comicvine and one of my best friends is a huge SW fan who hate the prequels because of Jar Jar alone....it makes Cage seem tolerable lol(for those who hate Johnny Cage)

aj1701

Noob
The darkness of MK2 comes from the fact that they're in the twisted reality of Outworld, and the game starts off with the badass Shang Tsung being totally dominated by his crazy fucking Emperor that no one saw coming. The humor in the game is entertaining. It's like the freaks in the Cantina bar in Star wars or the Sand people or the wackiness of Yoda in Empire. You need levity sometimes in a brooding story. You just don't need Jar Jar Binks, but I don't think Friendships are the Jar Jar Binks's of MK.

Dude, you can't make the 3d stuff good. A dude who breaks his own bones?, Demonic prisons? MK is supposed to be a campy kung fu movie not a horror movie. I'm of the mind that Tobias actually pushed his style right to the edge of bad design with Shinnok and Quan Chi, but because it was him they still worked. But, that's the beginning of more fantasy and less Kung fu in MK.

The 3d stuff went even further by going more horrorcore, and turned the entire tone of the series for the worse. MK2 and the friendships were ingenious, at least that's what I thought as a kid, but even now I still like them. There were, however, a lot of MK1 fans who bitterly despised the bright colors, and silly secrets in MK2, so I can see where you're coming from, but MK2 is the one great masterpiece of MK, despite the terrible balance. MK2 is the Terminator 2 of MK. Everything else in MK is the T3 and on of the MK series, namely, not good at all, thematically, conceptually or artistically.

A lot of people hated the bmx ninja robots and the generic Native American, and "the crow" Shang Tsung, but I didn't mind them. I don't think they're as good as part 1 and part 2 though.
I think you hit it, I always felt mk3 was the start of Mk jumping the shark, and the robots were a part of that, but so were things like kabals scream fatality, or cyraxs blow up the world one. And then mk4 was just meh and the last Mk I played for a while. I got mka on Wii and that game just felt empty.

Mk9 was like going back to the beginning and I even felt like the robots fit now. I really hope mkx keeps that going.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I honestly prefer the "secret martial arts tournament" part more than any of the "realms converging and fighting to take over each other" stuff. When they take the focus off of the actual tournament and it's importance, it doesn't work for me.
Bigger isn't always better.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
I'm really trusting NRS on making this one great, after how amazing they did with Injustice and MK9. They were not only great games, but Injustice was an awesome evolution of MK9. I can't wait to see them take everything they've learned from it to the next level in MKX.

Liu is going to break some bones. Nunchuck. Your face.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I really want test your luck online(not ranked obviously).

That would add a lot of variety to casual online matches.