What's new

Mortal Kombat X Sound & Special FX

Mr_Swizzer

OUTCAST
I know this might not be a big deal for some people but for headphone users Sound & Special FX play a big role in those moments where everything binds together to create those immersive hype moments where you get goosebumps.

My question for the people who pay close attention to FX & mechanics is to use this thread as a kind of brainstorm for something NRS may not have down that we can suggest, I understand where not part of the development team & don't know whats coming to comment on but we could still make comments based on the footage we have which I will post below.

The best thing you can do for a unreleased game that is still in development is to study the gameplay we have & take mechanics, FX & knowledge from previous NRS titles to secure the future of a potential world class fighting game.

Gameplay

I will try to keep the gameplay spoiler updated as much as possible through the development of Mortal Kombat X

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I can adjust my ear to listen a singularity in middle of noisy stuff, my favorite song from MKX is the Snow forest and the select screen, dan forden has been busy, the 4 music presented by far are all ethnic, gritty and energetic at same time, hope we can get the sound a bit higher, i don't mind if it will overlap some effects in the process.

I do hope the whole trio ( Rich Carle, Vince Portanelli, Dan Forden) is back together.

I want that feel i'm playing mortal kombat.

David Bergaud ( Ratchet & Clank) could be a huge asset for NRS as well, i think he can match Dan's style with some incredible stuff.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Swizzer go home your drunk =)

But in seriousness I like the idea, I just dont think a dev team would look to a forum for their score

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Mortal Kombat
  • Temple Gate
  • Courtyard
  • Warrior Shrine
  • Kontinue (should have been a fighting theme)
  • Shang Tsung
  • The Bridge (The Pit)
Mortal Kombat II
  • Deadpool (extremely gritty)
  • Living Forest
  • Armory
  • Wastelands (The Pit II)
  • Cloud Room (Air Kombat)
  • The Tomb
  • Goro's Lair (Secret Soundtrack for Jade)
Mortal Kombat 3 UMK3
  • Main Theme (Soul Chamber)
  • Kombat Temple (The Church)
  • The Pit 3
  • Select Your Fighter
  • Subway
  • River Kombat
  • Noob Saibot's Dorfen
  • The Graveyard
Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub-Zero
  • Earthrealm God
  • Fire God (Kajin)
  • Kia & Jataaka
  • Bridge of Immortality
  • Soul Prision I
  • Earth Temple (Part II)
  • Quan Chi
  • The Lin Kuei Temple (cut scenes) n64
  • Wins God (Fujin)
  • Earth Temple (Part I)
  • Shinnok Battle
  • Shinnok's Fortress
  • Soul Prision (Part II)
  • Fight Against Scorpion in Netherrealm
  • Fire Temple
  • Shaolin Temple.
Mortal Kombat 4
  • Snake (Reptile's Theme)
  • Snow Forest
  • Eldest Gods (unused Soundtrack)
  • Kontinue
  • Goro Lair (better than mk1 version)
  • Rain
  • Elder Gods
MK (Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armaggedon)
  • Konquest training (Kontent Gallery Theme)
  • Konquest Training 2
  • Konquest Training 3
  • Quan Chi Fortress
  • Shang Tsung palace
  • Drum Arena
  • Acid bath
  • Lost Tomb
  • Moloch
  • Sarna Ruins
  • Kredits
Deception
  • Character Select (Puzzle Kombat)
  • Dark Prision
  • Dojo
  • Dragon Mountain
  • Sky Temple
  • Liu Kang's Tomb
  • Red Dragon
  • Slaughter House Jive
  • Ying Yang Island (Yang Part of the song)
  • Puzzled
  • Snake food
  • Konquest training wih ermac
  • Konquest training with scorpion
  • Konquest training with mileena
  • Komquest training with kira
  • Konquest training ashrah
Songs that standout from forden original compositions

• Deadpool (genesis)
  • Wastelands (genesis)
  • Living Forest (genesis)
  • Armory (genesis)
  • Armory (n64) Graveyard song
The guy that ported the songs to sega added very stunnings "finish him" sketch to each song making them very unique.

I'm probably Dan's n1 fan lol

Mr_Swizzer

OUTCAST

Listen to the sound FX after the announcer says fight it sounds like a scorpion raw echoing.

That would get me so hype when my heads in the game :p

I need some awesome music in this game. There have been many great themes in the past, but I was pretty unimpressed with the soundtracks of MK9 and Injustice.

As far as Im concerned, Killer Instinct is the new standard for fighting game music. Not only was the music fantastic, the team also pushed the approaches to music implementation. Fully dynamic, varied themes that even included character/stage specific Ultra Combo themes. Mother of God.

Yeah, Dan Forden needs to step it up and think outside the bun. Stage specific fatality themes would be a good start.

Also, the music could be mixed and mastered better than NRS' recent games.

Also also, if anyone has seen a video with the new Character Select theme more audible, Id love to see it. :)

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
It's been so long since I've heard the music on Injustice/MK. Other than the damn theme song on the menu.

I always have my computer on blasting metal when I practice/train. I'll probably appreciate MKX more sound-wise though judging by the effort they are putting into it.

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
i think their sound team is amazing; NRS is great at making sound fx. Music needs to be worked on more tho imo.

Mr_Swizzer

OUTCAST
I always pay attention to sound FX it's just something I do, It's just something that completes those moments in games :)

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Accessibility consultant for Mortal Kombat 1.
Cool thred! My BnB when it comes to fighting games. It's cool reading how others appreciate the sound design as well. From what I heard so far, the overall design is the same as MK9 and Injustice where you can hear whether you're on the left or right of the screen based on sound.
When it comes to reference for good MK music, @Eddy Wang listed pretty much the best the series offered throughout the games. My favorite though is definitely the music from Mythologies. Bridge of Immortality and Scorpion Netherrealm fight come to my mind right away. MK4 had the prison theme as well, so it would be cool for that to come back even if somewhat remixed. Looks like pretty much a lot of people agree that Injustice music was lame. @Mikemetroid I agree the Injustice main theme was cool though.
Also, yes, music needs to be brought up in the final mix unlike MK9 where you could barely hear it unless you turned it up all the way and brought down every other sound effect to balance it out. That's what I did lol.

*edit*
Forgot to mention, I hope the sound cues that were added in Injustice to identify interactibles come back and make them optional , so that people who find them annoying can just toggle it off and move on. I really appreciated this feature in Injustice.
@tylerlansdown

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
All the Sound Design composition looks perfectly fine for me, is something i've been tracking down since the 1st gameplay trailer was announced, so far i like what i hear, no counter arguments at all.

My only suggestion is that, maybe we could choose some characters to be the announcers instead of one standard, imagine Kotal Kahn saying "Fight" and all this stuff, it will look epic.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I just want a great soundtrack, IGAU had nothing memorable besides the main menu theme (which is badass)
Compared to MK9 where music could barely be heard, IGAU at least had some arenas with distinguishable and somewhat cool (YMMV) soundtrack, like Metropolis street area and Gotham.
That said, MK9 soundtrack wasn't annoying, there just wasn't enough... emphasis on it?

As far as Im concerned, Killer Instinct is the new standard for fighting game music. Not only was the music fantastic, the team also pushed the approaches to music implementation. Fully dynamic, varied themes that even included character/stage specific Ultra Combo themes. Mother of God.
I agree with this. While I can't say I like every soundtrack there, it's a matter of taste.

My only suggestion is that, maybe we could choose some characters to be the announcers instead of one standard, imagine Kotal Kahn saying "Fight" and all this stuff, it will look epic.
Considering that Shao Kahn is out, there may be something in the works.

Last edited: