What's new

Mortal Kombat Karnage - The latest demo

TimsMK

Noob
Shock said:
My first questions are

1. How far can you take this?
2. How far are you willing to take this?
3. How much technical input are you willing to accept?
1 - No idea. This is the most advanced thing I've attempted in Flash to date. I'd imagine most of it is programming. As for loading limits; shouldn't be too much of an issue as everything is preloaded from the start in this game.
2 - No idea. This all started as a follow up to this, and now it's kind of evolved. I'm not really sure how far i'm going to take it yet. I think the most likely situation will be that once a final version is released, there will be infrequent updates/revisions perhaps adding more characters and stages as time goes by. But, no promises. For now though, I want a good, solid, playable, entertaining fighter with a good range of characters, stages and content. There isn't really a good example of a playable MK in flash so I want to fill the gap.
3 - Hate to say it again, but no idea. But, I'm open to most ideas and suggestions. Noting glitches/infinites/move properties is always helpful.

Tim Static said:
The aa in any aaHP, aaLP, aaHK or aaLK stands for anti-air.
And good choice coming to this site. There isnt a better MK message board on the web, thanks to the MK masterminds here.
Cheers for clarifying that.
Seems like a good move so far :-P.[/url]

Glad you could make it over this way Tim (in this case TimMK and not Static :p). Thanks for noting Noob's Shadow Dash I hadn't figured it out yet! Definately get a hold of Shock on AIM as his knowledge of MK physics and combos will definately help create something very good with your programming skills.

I deff gotta say, this is turning out to be REALLY good, keep at it and may i ask a question. Why are there no walls? Did that to keep infinites etc out of the game?

I LOVE The fact your keeping it nice and oldschool with 2d and the way you made your own custom kombos

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Well at least the answers weren't " " like I've gotten from other people who develope homebrew MK games. Most of the time they have all their ideas jumbled up and keep adding things that seem neat but with no scientific reasoning behind it. Rolling is a good idea, but there are certain properties to rolling that people might not understand. For instance in Capcom games, generally rolling is invincible until a certain point and sets up a throw counter throw scenario when both characters are neutral. Rolling in an MK game could be neat but it would need some tweaks to make it feel like it should be in an MK game. Perhaps you could explain some more of the mechanical properties so far like how collision works, my combos chain when hitting air like 3D games, etc. Is it just because there's only 2 attack buttons so far to add contact variety or is this something you intend on keeping?

Its hardest to do against Kitana.

I expanded on it this morning. This morning I got...

PPKKK, Fanlift, JK, JK, JK, aaP, WavePunchX3

This morning I was able to connect 3 JK's before the aaP, and when I landed the WavePunch Subzero kind of juggled on it, Taking more damage from the wavepunch. :)

ahaha I DID IT!!! Now just to get it on video

PPKKK, Fanlift, JK, JK, aaP, WavePunch(juggled), Uppercut!!!!!!!

hell yea that felt good.

TimsMK

Noob
Shock said:
Perhaps you could explain some more of the mechanical properties so far like how collision works, my combos chain when hitting air like 3D games, etc. Is it just because there's only 2 attack buttons so far to add contact variety or is this something you intend on keeping?
Collision works here as it does with most games, it uses hit boxes. Each character has a hit box that is their "hit square", if an attacking hit box collides with the square then the attack connects.

As for the combos/strings continuing when you don't hit the opponent, that is something that is going to stay. I don't like it when you can't continue a combo because you haven't chained the first hit, it's a little restrictive.

LI Maverick said:
I deff gotta say, this is turning out to be REALLY good, keep at it and may i ask a question. Why are there no walls? Did that to keep infinites etc out of the game?

I LOVE The fact your keeping it nice and oldschool with 2d and the way you made your own custom kombos
Thanks :). Haven't completely ruled walls out just yet. We'll see :-P.

ÐarkMoon said:
ahaha I DID IT!!! Now just to get it on video

PPKKK, Fanlift, JK, JK, aaP, WavePunch(juggled), Uppercut!!!!!!!

hell yea that felt good.
Jesus, lol. That must be near on 50%?
Well done, though I may remove it :-P

RoGE

Noob
TimsMK said:
Jesus, lol. That must be near on 50%?
Well done, though I may remove it :-P
Depends how hard it is to pull off, the way I see it is, if a combo takes alot of effort and you pull it off, then you are skilled.

Well in this case, Being able to Jump kick the opponent from underneath, and have their body hover and being able to jump kick them again is weird. But it is something say, if she had sub-zero's properties, it wouldn't work. Though sub-zero's punch has the property of kitana's jk. Its alright but if running was to be incorporated in a later release it would make the combo and other combo possibilities easier. That was a lot of work for only 50% though. :p

Now you have the question, should you be able to do the fan lift after the pop up anyway? If yes, then what kind of damage protection should be put on it. In this case so far the damage from any move is very small compared to any other MK game. I like this game, its fun to mess around with and gives you something to do trying combos unavailable in any official MK.

TimsMK

Noob
Iori9 said:
Depends how hard it is to pull off, the way I see it is, if a combo takes alot of effort and you pull it off, then you are skilled.
I agree, though I'm trying to decide if 50% is fair or not. Half a lifebar means two of those and the opponent is done.
Not to mention she can juggle of a variety of other things as well which could give her too much of an advantage.

ÐarkMoon said:
Well in this case, Being able to Jump kick the opponent from underneath, and have their body hover and being able to jump kick them again is weird. But it is something say, if she had sub-zero's properties, it wouldn't work. Though sub-zero's punch has the property of kitana's jk. Its alright but if running was to be incorporated in a later release it would make the combo and other combo possibilities easier. That was a lot of work for only 50% though. :p
For only 50%? Yikes (and I haven't said that in a few years).

ÐarkMoon said:
Now you have the question, should you be able to do the fan lift after the pop up anyway? If yes, then what kind of damage protection should be put on it. In this case so far the damage from any move is very small compared to any other MK game. I like this game, its fun to mess around with and gives you something to do trying combos unavailable in any official MK.
Fan lift will stay as is, it'll probably be the properties that are adjusted.
As for running - I haven't decided yet. It wouldn't be too hard to incorporate (and it would be done with a F,F input) but I don't know if it's really necessary. I find you can get around the screen pretty easily, but perhaps that's because every character at the moment has an attack that allows them to travel (tele kick, wave punch and slide). We'll see how later characters fare.

Thanks once again for all input :). I'm currently working on the next version which is coming along quite nicely.

TimsMK said:
Hey everyone, I'm the guy makin this.

Just wanna say thanks to everyone for their comments so far, they've been really useful!
Holy Crap, You're the one who made that awesomely cool KAF game with Noob!!! You are a genius man!! And your work on this game is pure gold as well!

TheRagingStorm said:
TimsMK said:

Just wanna say thanks to everyone for their comments so far, they've been really useful!
Holy Crap, You're the one who made that awesomely cool KAF game with Noob!!! You are a genius man!! And your work on this game is pure gold as well!
Have you seen his MK2 Revisited Project?? MK2 Fatalities redone!

ÐarkMoon said:
TheRagingStorm said:
TimsMK said:

Yes, I did! That was ownage!
http://mk.trukmedia.co.uk/mk2r.htm

If others didn't see it, they need to watch this!!!!!

Sektor

Noob
TheRagingStorm said:
ÐarkMoon said:
TheRagingStorm said:
TimsMK said:

Woah.... Ed Boon really needs to make TimsMK in charge of making fatalities!

TimsMK

Noob
Yup that was all me.
Glad you guys got to see all that!

Hopefully all of that stuff is going to be amalgamated into the fatality system in MKK as well.

MKK actually started out as the sequel to Noob's KAF only it's got a lot bigger :-P.
Haven't started work on the fatality system in full yet, but it should be similar to that in Noob's fatality game.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Sektor said:
TheRagingStorm said:
ÐarkMoon said:
TheRagingStorm said:
TimsMK said:

Woah.... Ed Boon really needs to make TimsMK in charge of making fatalities!
Um, no.

No offense, but those are all corny, minus Raiden and MAYBE Kitana.

Again, not trying to bash TimsMK, but keep orking on the FAT's. The Johnny Cage, Scorpion & Tsung are kinda dumb. :idea:

um, That scorpion one rules. It is way better then having the same fatality in every fucking game.

The only thing I don't like is how scorpion magically appears and shit after hanging up his victim.

Oh and how can you call the Cage fatality stupid, both of his in MK2 were already stupid.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I like how he did the fatalities, it is very well put together and structured, but I don't like the actual things that happen in some of them. I was never a fan of mutli action fatalities or ones that are glorified combos etc, I can see the influence from the 3D games. The Raiden one is my favorite.

Tim Static

Adminerator
ÐarkMoon said:
um, That scorpion one rules. It is way better then having the same fatality in every fucking game.

The only thing I don't like is how scorpion magically appears and shit after hanging up his victim.

Oh and how can you call the Cage fatality stupid, both of his in MK2 were already stupid.
The Scorpion one was sweet until he did the fire again. If they just were left hanging, a la Baraka's impale FAT., like slowly breaking their neck.

The Cage torso rip was alright.The stupid uppercut was ok in MK1, stupid in MKII.

I would have liked to see Shang Tsung rip and pull out an intestine. That would be cool. Or have Jax shove his hands into your chest, and rip you open kinda like Lao's hat split.