What's new

Mortal Kombat II Revision 1.1 Released

I love Baraka threw you at the end and then WALKED OVER AND THREW YOU AGAIN LOL

Oh my gosh this AI is so messed up. I actually double-take'd lol ;D

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
That shit Baraka did is seen even in 3.1 and snes version, so it's not this revision-specific

nice stuff, Scheisse!

X820

Noob
Well, you have to keep in mind that the early revisions where pretty much in testing state and released due to the fact that Capcom launched Street fighter II at the time, maybe they gave priority to P2 to test everything.

Jason Shearer

Kombatologist
I've had these for a while. I can't remember where I originally got them, but they're more or less the same as what arcade-history.com has in their history.dat for MAME. There seems to be some inaccuracies for 1.1, such as Baraka's BoF having no sound, but that could be due to Patrick's theory regarding the sound ROMs. Revision 1.4's version history also confirms that a couple moves are in fact missing from 1.1. Sadly, if this really is the first version released to the public, we may never see a version with Baraka's Blade Spin. Not sure where I got the release date of November, 1993, but I'm still looking to confirm this. I'd also like to confirm if 1.1 really does contain approximately 9 Fatalities, along with a list of what they are.

Revision 1.1
Released November, 1993 (Unconfirmed)

• First version released to the public even though unfinished.
(Midway was pressured due to the release of Capcom's Super
Street Fighter II.)
• Contained almost all moves and approximately 9 Fatalities.
• Kintaro and Shao Kahn nearly impossible to defeat without cheating
(Kintaro could be beat by repeatedly pressing a punch button
throughout the fight, Shao Kahn only by throwing missile weapons.)
• No character epilogues.
• Baraka's Blades of Fury has no sound.
• Shang Tsung could walk on the ceiling.

Revision 1.4
Released ?

• Mileena's Ground Roll added.
• Kung Lao's Diving Kick added.
• Sub-Zero could do the first part of his Deep Freeze Fatality during match.
• Danger indicator added.
• This version contained many but not all aspects of revision
2.1. Since Revision 1.4 was not widely circulated, those
changes will be listed under Revision 2.1.

I know we don't really care much about the SNES version, but I can confirm that Liu Kang's high bike-kick ceiling crash glitch happens there as well.

Just to add a bit of MK arcade history:

If you did the same projectiles over and over again simultaneously on a mirror match in MK1, you'd get a draw that would allow you to keep fighting until the next round started. If you mashed enough buttons after the draw but before the next round, there's a good chance the board would "forget" where certain sprite data was located; characters and background layers would go missing, causing the machine to reset.

I just found out that they half fixed this bug in MKII before revamping the draw mechanics completely. Nifty!

In revision 1.1, doing this projectile trick will get you a draw but once it's announced your attacks are disabled - you can still jump around and move everywhere but your punches and kicks are gone, thus removing whatever overflow they caused which resulted in the board rebooting. By the time the game hit 3.1, this type of draw was replaced in favor of priorities which leads me to believe someone found an exploit in the game even with the attacks disabled that caused them to change it, or they exploited something else that called for the theoretical overhaul. I want to say it was done to prevent people from reaching the round 5 killscreen, but it could also be the result of a more serious gameplay issue.

This whole thing is just technical jibberish. But I always find it interesting to learn about MK's development cycle :)

Edit- typos.