What's new

Mortal Kombat II Revision 1.1 Released

Disclaimer: By downloading this software you agree that you are legally entitled to do so, by either owning an original copy of the works or the original platforms they were copied to. You also agree that the poster of these works (myself) holds no responsibility nor consequences be it legally or otherwise of any damages or else that may occur.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4WOGHHQZ - Mortal Kombat II Revision 1.1 Download

How to verify them:

Backup your mk2 romset (mk2.zip). Extract the contents of the zip file to an empty folder called, "mk2". Then extract the contents of version 1.1 to another folder, say "mk2r11". Open the mk2r11 folder, and rename the two roms inside as such:

uj12.l11 -> uj12.l31
ug12.l11 -> ug12.l31

Copy the newly renamed files to the mk2 folder, and overwrite the originals. Select them all, and send them to a compressed zip folder (Windows method). Click on the new zip file, and rename it, "mk2.zip". Place the new mk2.zip in your rom directory, and you're done.

Certain emulators require specific command line functions in order to operate properly, such as MAME for instance. Create a new shortcut to MAME, then edit the shortcut and add "mk2" to the end of mame.exe (or your variation). Newer versions will not allow you to start the game from the game selection menu.

MK2 Revision 1.1 Differences*:

-Earliest known version of the game
-Free Play on by default
-Demo has changed - text is centered, title comes before fight demonstration, bios missing:
3.1: "By seizing control of the Shaolin Tournament he tried to tip the
scales of order towards chaos. Only seven warriors survived the battles
and Shang Tsung's scheme would come to a violent end at the hands of Liu
Kang." now reads, "By seizing control of the Shaolin Tournament he tried to
tip the scales of order towards chaos. But seven warriors would not allow
it."

3.1: "Shang Tsung's new plan is to lure his enemies to compete in the outworld
where they will meet certain death by Shao Kahn himself." now reads, "Shang
Tsung's plan is to lure his enemies to compete in the outworld where they will
meet death by Shao Kahn himself."

-High score missing (Longest Winning Streaks)
-Certain characters use alternate colors by default
-No ending, goes straight to Game Over.
-Several sounds missing (Sub-Zero's freeze, All of Shao Kahn)
-Kung Lao is extremely buggy, walls can "block" hat toss
-Many Fatalities missing (certain characters have none, Babalities/Friendships/Stage Fatalities missing completely)
-You cannot throw the CPU
-Fight ladder is static
-Baraka's/Kitana's Swipe plays neither an effect nor damage sound (no sound at all)
-Player 2 always has 2nd palette
-AI is even more difficult (though glitchy)
-P2 Button 6 crashes the game (not used)
-Briefly locks up/No announcement if character(s) remain unchosen
-Reptile's slide missing
-Reptile's forceball startup is slower/shows up during fatality time
-Floor doesn't raise/move during Reptile's Tongue Fatality
-Can hold block through win announcement
-Jax's Backbreaker missing/broken
-Mileena has only one special move, Sai Throw EDIT: Teleport Kick commands were changed, is F-B-LK (ScheissNussen)
-Baraka's Blade Lift Fatality lifts the camera/shakes the ground against certain characters, always has male sounds

*Differences taken via MAME which may not be accurate versus original hardware

CRC: 1.1
uj12 05F70C1A
ug12 05A12BFE

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/TerryxMasters

Pics:

Johnny Cage/Raiden Default Alternates on Character Select

Frozen CPU Kung Lao throwing Sub-Zero

Enjoy :)

Np guys. If it weren't for Disciple pointing out the auction these things might've slipped under the radar. If you find anything else different about the game vs 3.1/3.2 or 1.4, let me know and I'll be more than happy to add it to the list. I'm gonna spread the word so everyone can start looking for differences.

Yes! AWESOME list Scheiss, that Mileena command change confirms that the other moves might be under something different, or that there may be never before seen moves altogether. Thanks for that dude.

Is it me or does it feel like 1992 all over again? :D

I remember talk way back in the day about baraka having a spinning blade move that was taken out of later revisions, so it may be in this one. I think it was added back in mk trilogy.

Score! Thanks again Scheiss :D

I added some pics to the OP. I thought I showed the select screen in the video but somewhere in the confusion I must've forgot.

bulldawg said:
I remember talk way back in the day about baraka having a spinning blade move that was taken out of later revisions, so it may be in this one. I think it was added back in mk trilogy.
I remember this too, but I haven't gotten around to searching for it yet. It's funny how we both thought of that, I also looked for the statues in the tower, Raiden's staff, and a missing Yin/Yang sign in the Kombat Tomb. Unfortunately, the 3.2's as well as the other roms have all already been dumped, it would seem (they were Euros).

TerryMasters said:
Np guys. If it weren't for Disciple pointing out the auction these things might've slipped under the radar. If you find anything else different about the game vs 3.1/3.2 or 1.4, let me know and I'll be more than happy to add it to the list. I'm gonna spread the word so everyone can start looking for differences.
Right on Terry glad to see this guy wasn't blowing smoke with his auction and thanks for the props :) Glad one of us here was able to snag them and thanks to you for bidding on them and getting these dumped!

And I WILL get the Proto 4.0 ones dumped shortly, to be honest I only played that twice when I got the board and when I made the video, I just got my kick harnesses for my 6 in 1 switcher in from mk3fan last week so now I'm finally able to use LP and LK on MK lol, now I will get it out this week to test it more and dump the roms now that I'm not on any film/video shoots for a bit.

Can't wait to test these 1.1 roms out bud!

McCarron

Noob
ScheissNussen said:
Finding a new move or finishing move in this game would help me cope with the last decade of garbage games they have released. Frontpaged btw.
Baraka did have a spin move in the early MK2 revisions. It's possible it's in MK2 1.1 but I think it only existed in the pre-1.0 revisions (or 1.0 itself) that were in test around Chicago. But it's worth trying to find, I think it used the block button somehow. I seem to remember it being just tapping Block to make it happen, but that doesn't work on this 1.1 revision.

Also great work to TerryMasters for getting these dumped. Very well done indeed!

iammud

Noob
I just noticed some stuff about this version, not sure if any of them have been covered.

Round 5 kill screens half way through match.

Toasty sound occurs, but Dan doesn't pop out. I doubt smoke is in the game, but has anyone tested this on the portal?

Reptile's switch back from invisible is different.

I think this frame works better.

Jason Shearer

Kombatologist
McCarron said:
Baraka did have a spin move in the early MK2 revisions. It's possible it's in MK2 1.1 but I think it only existed in the pre-1.0 revisions (or 1.0 itself) that were in test around Chicago. But it's worth trying to find, I think it used the block button somehow. I seem to remember it being just tapping Block to make it happen, but that doesn't work on this 1.1 revision.
You're correct, Patrick, but you guys might want to try QCB,HK+LK, as stated by EGM in their January, 1994 issue. Not sure what build they previewed, but it's worth a shot.

Edit: QCB,HK+LK doesn't work either.

McCarron

Noob
One thing to note about missing sounds and graphics is that all you are changing in MAME is the 1.1 program ROMS, it is very possible that the official 1.1 had different art and sound ROMs from the later official 3.1, so when the 1.1 game is looking for other art or sounds it may not always be there since you are using the newer art and sound ROMs with an earlier version of the game programming.

It's also possible that since 1.0 the art and sound never changed, but I'd have to look closer at the official board chips again. Especially these chips changed a lot during the early Proto and 1.0/1.1 days.

I still await a 1.0 or PROTO version to get found and dumped, as those would likely have Baraka's old blade spin move put back in.

If we want a "complete dump" of a 1.1 board we should get in contact with FuelUpTheCarlton he put a video up of his original MKII 1.1 board on youtube after he saw the revision was released, he didn't know it hadn't been dumped yet:

I'm sure he'd be able to dump them for us if we asked him - he has an programmer.

McCarron

Noob
I'd have to see what my 3.1 board looks like, if all the chips are L1 like in his video then there will be no differences in the other ROMs.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
You can punish jk's if you block them standing? That's some early version KI1 right there lol

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Sorry, but I couldn't get this rom to work. I did what it says in the first post about renaming and replacing the files but the game is not on the "available" list. Maybe you guys know emulation stuff second nature but I'm just a noob in this shit. Please if there's anything left that needs to be explained I'd appreciate it. I really want to take a look at this revision. Maybe I need a certaing mame version?
Thanks

It is not going to be on the list, you need to replace an existing MK2 revision such as 2.1, just take out the UG12 and UJ12 files from that and replace with the 1.1 revision ones and load the 2.1 revision in MAME and it should run for you.

Hope that helps.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
The same version as you are. I just did it again just in case with no results. The game isn't showed in the available list, nor in the "all games" list

Is there a step in the process that needs to be explained in detail for a noob? :p maybe it's the language barrier, I don't know

I have a zip file called "mk2" in the rom folder
I unzipped it, unzip the 1.1 zip file, rename the files like it's told, place the files in the mk2 folder and overwrite the originals, I made another zip file, renamed it "mk2" and put the file in the rom folder again. I moved the original mk2 zip file so there's only 1 file now. I open mame and... no 1.1 rom available

edit: ok I opened 3.1 just for the sake of doing it and it turned into 1.1 LOL

And then I read what xdisciplex said. thanks a lot :) gotta give this a try. I don't know, it's that nostalgic feeling, to know that youy're playing such an early revision, strange feeling indeed LOL