What's new

Mortal Kombat / Blood Storm (Mugen)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
It's aesthetically pleasing, but to the trained eye, one can tell the person who made it doesn't know how to make a fighting game. They just know how to throw in every fan fic concept and in a lot of cases completely imaginary and pointless moves to add fluff. I can't wait to get my hands on all the sprites!

The forward and backward dash works to fuck when the enemy jumps at you for instance, it works to avoid magic attacks, to pass through the enemy and do a throw move catching them by surprise... you're kinda... ehhh I wont say :lol:

Those roll moves are excellent for developing new attack systems and to refresh the gameplay. Though the game might not be really good those systems I like.

Dammm.... Im really late sry, I didnt see the already made thread for this.
Does anyone know if that MK game is going to be for the public to ply???
:p

dreemernj

Ambassador
Considering it's MUGEN, chances are once playing it, it'll feel even worse :-/

MUGEN is built from the ground up to be a different kind of fighting game engine than any MK game has. And, as far as I know, there's never been something that could be classified as a good fighting game made in MUGEN. I've tried a million of them, and they are all extreme combofests with no attempt at creating balance and depth.

The graphics look pretty cool in this, but so much was done as far as creating moves, backgrounds, characters, and fatalities before they even started working on proper hitboxes. Hopefully they've gone back and redone a lot of that to make it work better.

For something that's been in the making for a while, I hope there are at least some promises made...other than it being a broken down combo fest.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I would love to sit down with some people who make these MK mugen games, with a translator, and make something real.

dreemernj

Ambassador
marv said:
Shock said:
I would love to sit down with some people who make these MK mugen games, with a translator, and make something real.
What do you mean by "with a translator"?
English is not the primary language of the people making this MUGEN MK game.

marv

Noob
dreemernj said:
marv said:
Shock said:
What do you mean by "with a translator"?
English is not the primary language of the people making this MUGEN MK game.
Yeah I'm aware of that, just wasn't sure if that was what Shock was referring to. I was also imagining something that translates the game in some nonlanguage sense, like to a different engine or to mk like game play.

I took 4 years of Spanish back in highschool. I still suck, but I like to think I'm not completely useless, especially online where I can take my time and look up words I don't know.

dreemernj

Ambassador
The language barrier was the problem. A MUGEN translator would be awesome though. Something that translated MUGEN code out of 'retarded' and into something more functional.

RoGE

Noob
some guys are working in a new mugen engine. that engine will support mugen chars and online play

http://www.sakirsoft.com/

I like the fact that you can view your character on the character selection screen instead of having a pic.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Illegal Eagle said:
If this game ever hits XBL Im buying it. It makes UMK look like a kids game...
lol, I guess Midway could take all the artwork and put it into their own 2D engine and sell it if they wanted. But that's about as likely as me making it to the moon.

The MUGEN engine is actually illegal to use because no version was ever released with an EULA that allowed it to be used for anything more than beta testing and the beta testing period expired. Not sure how legal something that directly copies a piece of copyrighted software works.

And Midway probably could just walk up and take all the character graphics. I always get a chuckle from the little symbols they stick next to the name. It's not like they can actually claim ownership of this or ever hope to sell it. Even if they just distribute it freely they could still end up with a cease and desist for copyright infringement.

marv

Noob
I believe openmugen, or whatever Sakir is calling it now, is completely legal. It's no different than pidgin talking to aim, or openoffice opening ms word docs.

Now the character graphics ripped from MK are a different story.

However, a lot of times companies will turn a blind eye to technically infringing fan works. If nothing else, it's bad publicity to sue your biggest fans.

Edit: Random insane idea: We should petition Midway for a license agreement, in writing, granting us permission to create a fan made game, not for profit.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
marv said:
I believe openmugen, or whatever Sakir is calling it now, is completely legal. It's no different than pidgin talking to aim, or openoffice opening ms word docs.

However, a lot of times companies will turn a blind eye to technically infringing fan works. If nothing else, it's bad publicity to sue your biggest fans.

Edit: Random insane idea: We should petition Midway for a license agreement, in writing, granting us permission to create a fan made game, not for profit.
I <3 the dream

ZAQ

Noob
marv said:

I considered making a petition for a 2D MK game.
We could get a lot of signatures from all of the MK forums.
Not to mention all of the retards on youtube that would sign it.

I just don't think it would help.
Ed Boon seems like someone who has his own agendas and wouldn't listen to a petition unless it would make more money than a 3D game or make some money but be easier to make than a Tetris Kombat game :roll: