What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 (2023) Official Gameplay Trailer

The very first gameplay footage of NetherRealm's new Mortal Kombat 1 was showcased at Summer Game Fest 2023 (hosted by Geoff Keighley). The trailer features Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Raiden, Johnny Cage, a sighted Kenshi, Kitana, and Mileena, as well as cameos from Goro, Sonya, Kano, Stryker and Jax.

Main gameplay:
  1. Kung Lao vs. Sub Zero
  2. Johnny Cage vs. Kenshi
  3. Scorpion vs. Liu Kang
  4. Raiden vs. Kenshi
Shorter gameplay clips:
  • Sub Zero vs. Raiden
  • Mileena vs. Liu Kang
  • Kung Lao vs. Johnny Cage
Kameo characters (may also be main cast):
  • Goro
  • Sonya
  • Kano
  • Stryker
  • Jax

Comments

Anyone notice there is no blodd during kombat staining the floor and eveything? Is that a streamer option they turned of...or is it gone?

Anyone notice there is no blodd during kombat staining the floor and eveything? Is that a streamer option they turned of...or is it gone?
I remember seeing blood on the floor in the Johnny vs Kenshi fight. I have to watch the trailer again!

I didn't notice watching the trailers 340343 times on the TV, but Johnny's fatality has the opponent name's on a plate

View attachment 19208
This is a joke about "stars" in hollywood where they press them into the concreet and suff?

I remember seeing blood on the floor in the Johnny vs Kenshi fight. I have to watch the trailer again!
Yeah.... I think it may be something you can switch off, which is something a lot of loser youtubers asked for.

Yeah.... I think it may be something you can switch off, which is something a lot of loser youtubers asked for.
Yeah.. in the trailer the Jonny vs Kenshi fight has blood, but most of the trailer dosn't (talking about full screen kombat not fatels and stuff.....

so I am thinking the gore is a option people can turn off.. which is sure to make a lot of tubers happy.

Another huge MK11 complaint was that Fatal Blows get super boring, seeing the same thing again and again... but it looks like every main has a unique fatal blow for every kemeo... so... that will really add variety and reduce one of the fatals most complained about things for viewers. They may even have different properties as well.

Last edited:
Yeah.. in the trailer the Jonny vs Kenshi fight has blood, but most of the trailer dosn't (talking about full screen kombat not fatels and stuff.....

so I am thinking the gore is a option people can turn off.. which is sure to make a lot of tubers happy.
There is definitely blood in kung lao vs sub-zero fight, it is just somewhat way subtler than in MKX and MK11

My main thoughts:

Loving the stages
Sound is impressive
Character models look fantastic
Overall the game play looks great, I am just hoping that the aerial combat is not too much like MKA - it does look a little clunky like MKA was (Kitana in particular), but that will probably be ironed out in the final build
Loved the throwbacks in the kameo character's skins
Still not convinced with kameos in general. Still concerned that it will create a tier list of kameos - hopefully it is something you can turn off if it ends up shit.
Loved that it looked like you can be a little creative with combos again

Overall, I am impressed.

Still not convinced with kameos in general. Still concerned that it will create a tier list of kameos - hopefully it is something you can turn off if it ends up shit.
you won't be able to turn it off, it is a core gameplay.. even the logo has two dragons this time. (I think)

As for Tier Lists.... all FGC games have a tier list. Just as there is a tier list for mains, or in older games some variations or moves were better then others, there will be a tier list for Kemeos... not sure why anyone would expect anything different. To me, this is like saying "I hope the mains can not be sorted into a tier list"... it just makes no sense.

Yeah but it's literally the Ij2 clash animation, straight up copied and pasted
You don't know what the word, "literally" means.

Also, you don't seem understand how "copy/paste" works.

It isn't a clash. We saw a totally different animation when Ed Boon was talking with Kenshi and Sub.

Pretty sure each character is getting some kind of unique interaction pre-fight.

you won't be able to turn it off, it is a core gameplay.. even the logo has two dragons this time. (I think)

As for Tier Lists.... all FGC games have a tier list. Just as there is a tier list for mains, or in older games some variations or moves were better then others, there will be a tier list for Kemeos... not sure why anyone would expect anything different. To me, this is like saying "I hope the mains can not be sorted into a tier list"... it just makes no sense.
I am well aware of what a tier list is and how they work, so no need to mansplain...

What I am getting at is if everyone just plays their main with Kano kameo because he is by far the best, in my opinion, it is a boring mechanic. This is a personal opinion which may not align with yours. You may think seeing everyone playing with Kano is awesome and that is totally fine that you have that view.

It isn't a clash. We saw a totally different animation when Ed Boon was talking with Kenshi and Sub. Pretty sure each character is getting some kind of unique interaction pre-fight.
yes... you see it in the ed boon chat section in the background of the character select for Kenshi and Sub. This is the new "chat before the game" thing.. but pre-game during load I guess so maybe not skipable which I think is cool.. they get selected walk forward "clash" say some shit then push each other back and do a cool effect stance with their kameo and then strait into FIGHT....

It is awesome and nothing to do with IJ.

Also it doesn't look like "aerial kombat." It just looks like air juggle extensions of grounded combos.

I am well aware of what a tier list is and how they work, so no need to mansplain...

What I am getting at is if everyone just plays their main with Kano kameo because he is by far the best, in my opinion, it is a boring mechanic. This is a personal opinion which may not align with yours. You may think seeing everyone playing with Kano is awesome and that is totally fine that you have that view.
Apposed to what? Everyone playing Sub in MK11 or everyone playing Honda in SF6? If there is selectable things that have different "values" some will be better than other and will be seen more often. Just like roster slot picks in a torny. What you are describing sounds to me exactly like everyone playing Alien in MKX or Sub in MK11.. what is the difference..

What i think you are really talking about is balance. It would be nice if everything was viable, but decades of fighting games from every company ever... shows that tier lists will happen and it is unavoidable.. even in super balanced games.

What I am saying is.. I do not think it is a negative.. it is something all fighters have to deal with... so the question is how bad it will be, not if it is there at all... and considering MKx and MK11 had very diverse character representation until very late in MK11's life, I suspect this is not going to be an issue.

I'm totally gonna get grilled for this. But my initial thoughts when the fight game play started was "this looks like a cartoon"... There's something about the special effects that look cheap to me. Almost to a fortnite or mobile game level, especially on something like when Kung Lao's kameo character does the spin, that effect around him looks so cheap. Or even the pink glow around Mileena when she rolls.

Anyways will need to re-watch a few times to see if my thoughts change.
it does look cartoony and a little off to me vs mk11 but its a totally different game so im just gonna have to deal with it. gameplay does look fun especially adding air combos. reminds me of shao monks with a hint of mk9

Also I'm not a fan of them CONSTANTLY removing Sub Zero And Scorpion's masks and hoods and giving them giant pony tails/man buns. I'm a ninja fanboy tho so what do i know lol. Bummed thats the look they'll have in story mode.

As a kid the ninja esque characters were cool because they had a touch of mystery to them (palette swapped for storage i know). Now they retain that mystery for all of 20 seconds tops before everything comes off.
I agree but they probably have alts with hoods just not the primary costume

Gotta be honest, as a 40+ year old who cut his teeth on MK1 and MK2, and in being the only fighting game franchise I've ever cared about, I genuinely cannot understand the hate towards MK11? It felt like a love letter to classic Mortal Kombat. It was hard, heavy, hit like a ton of bricks, played like the 90s fine-tuned for the modern era. You could win with professionally trained combos, or good old fashioned sweeps and chin-breaking uppercuts. To each their own, but I honestly cannot see how anyone who ever loved MK2 especially, could not enjoy MK11? :oops:
from mk9 to mk11 ive spent more time playing mk11. i grew up playing the very first mk on genesis so i can relate to everything you saying. im just glad that mortal kombat is still here and upgrading itself. ive already pre ordered my copy and cant wait to play it in september