What's new

Moral Dilemmas (What would you do?)

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.” -Mark Twain

• “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • "We stopped checking for monsters under our bed when we realized they were inside us" -The Joker

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters

The Great One

"I Always d1 Lif-" SHUT UP
So many of us have read comics/books/watched movies/heard stories of that amazing hero who always does the right thing no matter what and is willing to make the right decision at the right time. Some of them won't kill some won't do anything outrageous but at the end of the day they still end up leaving the good guys.

The question is...what if I told you that not everything you read/watch is actually true? I'm sure you've guys have played games like the Walking Dead and the Wolf Among us where if a guy was sticking a gun at your face you would choose the "calm him down" option instead of the "fuck him up" option. Of course not everybody would do that.......

Anyways a few years ago I took a psychology class and one of the units was on moral dilemmas and what it showed about someone's personality and psychological mindset so if you guys are willing I'd like to post some moral dilemmas.

If people like this I'll post more. I have loads of these and some are way harder than the simple one's I'll post here. I always find these so fun because it turns out that at the end of the day, some of us might still be bad people.You might have heard of them before but still, tell us what you would do and why? I'm not going to give you a psychoanalysis. yes I am.

NO YOU CANNOT ADAPT OR CHANGE THE STORY IN THESE DILENMAS. NO, "WHY CAN'T I JUST SAVE EVERYONE?" / "I'LL JUST PULL OUT MY BATMAN AND SAVE THEM"

Think of this as a complex would you rather.
(It requires imagination. Some of these are ridiculously situational ie I don't have a brother/daughter/wife. why would I be in a cave? etc. Instead of thinking about ways to break the story you should be thinking about why you're such a bad person.

You're driving a train. You realize that it's gone out of control and that you can't stop it. Down the road there are 4 innocent kids are crossing the tracks and you realize that you can't stop and are going to crush them. You do realize that you can turn to the tracks on your right which for some odd reason your brother is on. Do you head straight forward to protect your family or turn and kill your brother at the benefit of the others?

1.a
This is for those that chose the "righteous" path and chose not to kill the kids but instead kill your brother at the benefit of their lives. I'm guessing that you have the mentality of "Saving more lives is better'. Ok good for you. What if this time you were just a mere onlooker ontop of a cliff looking down? You see that the car is going down this one path and about to hit the 4 kids but this time you have a very large man standing next to you watching it happen. You realize that you're too small to stop the trolley but if you were to push the man off the cliff he WILL be able to stop the train (Guaranteed) and save the life of the 4 kids, but this will immediately kill him. Do you push him off to save the lives of many? Or does your righteousness only kick in when your hands aren't going to be stained?

You are aboard a plane. As it takes off and over international waters you realize that it has been hijacked by terrorist. They have locked themselves into the pilots cabin and there is no way you can get in (Guns fists ect). You do however see that there is a vent somehow leading inside and that you can somehow pour some gaseous poison in that will kill them. Here is where the dilemma kicks in. If you kill them, the plane will go down and you have just doomed everybody on the plane. You were basically the reason that those 300 innocent people died. If you do not kill them there is a possibility that they will land and use you as hostages for money or other reasons. But of course they are terrorist and you do run the risk of them causing another 9/11 and killing more lives than just those on the plane but in face other bystanders because of your inaction. What do you do?

Aliens. Yes Aliens have come to earth and they have chose you as a special specimen to examine because they lack emotion. They are willing to cure all disease/poverty/hunger on earth essentially making it a living utopia. There is a catch though, you have to torture your 12 year old daughter and they have to watch you do it. You cannot kill her but have to torture her with her awake and aware that you are the one doing it the whole time. After torturing her she will die but not before experiencing her own parent torture her for days. Our biological reaction would be to protect our own flesh and blood but what about the lives of the other 4 children? Woops did I say 4 children? I meant 7 billion other people.

Well those are the simple basic ones.

Idk it's the summer i'm bored. Do you feel like a worse person after answering those questions? Tell me what the fighting community Is like :p

TATAKAE

Punishment by knee of justice
Stop making me thinkkkkkkkk. I'll get back to you after I smoke some weed and meditate. Damnnnnnnnnnnn

The Great One

It won't let me edit my poll anymore D:

The first quote is by Mark Twain. I didn't come up with that. If I did do you think I would be playing video games? I would be meditating on mountains and shaving my head

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
It's because they make you think.
Yeah, but most of these situations are so incredibly stupid nobody can really relate.

Like why the hell would aliens give a shit about my daughter? Or why the fuck can't those kids see a train coming at them?

All I'm saying is there are much harder, more difficult questions in the real world to ask than this silly stuff.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
In both situations save the 4 kids(not the network) because I have always believed in sacrificing one to save the majority.
Poison the cabin
I don't think I can bring myself to torture my daughter if I had one

How about more relateable moral dilemma's?

You see a man drop his wallet. Do you keep it or run after him?
You see a woman drop her wallet Do you keep it or run after her?

You're tempted to have sex with the person you like, they are super hot and everything you want, but they're in a relation ship? Do you get with them?
Same situation, but married. Do you get with them?

You see these really tough, gangster looking thugs racially attack a waitress at a bar. Do you intervene risking they beat you up or pull a weapon on you, or do you put your head down and do nothing?

You're asked to look over someone's laptop at a cafe while they quickly use the restroom. You see a random stranger try and take it. Do you stop him, or turn a blind eye?

idk i thought of these maybe more relatable

The Great One

How about more relateable moral dilemma's?

You see a man drop his wallet. Do you keep it or run after him?
You see a woman drop her wallet Do you keep it or run after her?

You're tempted to have sex with the person you like, they are super hot and everything you want, but they're in a relation ship? Do you get with them?
Same situation, but married. Do you get with them?

You see these really tough, gangster looking thugs racially attack a waitress at a bar. Do you intervene risking they beat you up or pull a weapon on you, or do you put your head down and do nothing?

You're asked to look over someone's laptop at a cafe while they quickly use the restroom. You see a random stranger try and take it. Do you stop him, or turn a blind eye?

idk i thought of these maybe more relatable
Thoes are good types of questions but neither outcomes consequences are to damning to our souls. People do these everyday and most people wouldn't feel bad. But having to save 4 people by being the one to kill another one? Or having to torture your own daughter for the benefit of others requires someone that really has their morals spelled out to themselves

coolwhip

Noob
2 and 3 are pretty easy for me.

2- I sure as hell am not going to gas them and kill myself and 300 others. Yes, they might be attempting to recreate 9/11 but there's a more probable chance they have some demands. I'll go with the option that doesn't guarantee the death of myself and 300 others.

3- Uh... no. I'm not going to torture my daughter. Plus, what's the catch? If I don't torture her life will persist exactly the way it is right now? Cool. I mean, I know the world is a fucked up place but still.

As far as 1 goes, I'll save my brother. Though I'd feel like shit for the rest of my life having witnessed 4 innocent kids dying.

The Great One

1. 4 innocent kids. If you dont turn the train then you technically did not kill anyone and have no blood on your hands. Plus we as humans have a deep connection with our family, and very few would have the conscience(or lack thereof) to kill their own kin.
1a. This one is stupid because the man would not stop the train, but just to go along with it I would again do nothing. There is no blood on my hands and we as a species always try to separate ourselves from the situation than get involved somehow.

2. Poison the terrorists. Chances are even if they do use you for hostage they will kill you anyway because governments tend not to negotiate with terrorists. Plus if they were just looking for hostages they would have kidnapped someone important, not hijacked a plane. Hijacking a plane would definitely be used to cause some sort of destruction which would kill everyone on the plane anyway.

3. Same as #1. You would want to not torture your daughter because it is your family and you would have blood on your hands. If you dont do it then everyone dies and it really doesnt matter what you chose, but if you tortured your daughter you would have to live with that for the rest of your life.

Also before anyone actually believes this psychoanalysis bull**** keep in mind these scenarios are all but worthless because A. They are illogical/would never happen and B. You would never actually know how you would react unless put in that situation, because your adrenaline levels would be raised and you would not be thinking with a clear head.

zomg. if you read it. I said it would for sure stop the train. The point of that question was to further push peoples lines of "I am willing to sacrifice one life for the greater." By having them have to physically kill this person it might make them reconsider if they really would help those four. If killing him did nothing what kind of dilemma would this be?

The Great One

These questions are kind of worthless if you are actually trying to analyze someone because they are illogical and would never happen.

You can replace these
oh yes of course sir. lolllll I was joking about that. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to analyze these 12 word answers

Fuck it...I'll answer...no one judge me.

1. If I can shove the bigger dude and it saves the 4 children and the brother(assuming he is still in play) I shove the guy.

2. Let myself become a hostage..its a 50/50.

3. I know what the right thing is, but I don't have it in me to torture my own daughter, but I do understand the greater good of everyone and the future is pretty significant, but I would not torture my own.

brother is not in play. But I think I see your mindset so I doubt it'll change