What's new

Moral Dilemmas (What would you do?)

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.” -Mark Twain

• “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • "We stopped checking for monsters under our bed when we realized they were inside us" -The Joker

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
1. 4 innocent kids. If you dont turn the train then you technically did not kill anyone and have no blood on your hands. Plus we as humans have a deep connection with our family, and very few would have the conscience(or lack thereof) to kill their own kin.
1a. This one is stupid because the man would not stop the train, but just to go along with it I would again do nothing. There is no blood on my hands and we as a species always try to separate ourselves from the situation than get involved somehow.

2. Poison the terrorists. Chances are even if they do use you for hostage they will kill you anyway because governments tend not to negotiate with terrorists. Plus if they were just looking for hostages they would have kidnapped someone important, not hijacked a plane. Hijacking a plane would definitely be used to cause some sort of destruction which would kill everyone on the plane anyway.

3. Same as #1. You would want to not torture your daughter because it is your family and you would have blood on your hands. If you dont do it then everyone dies and it really doesnt matter what you chose, but if you tortured your daughter you would have to live with that for the rest of your life.

Also before anyone actually believes this psychoanalysis bull**** keep in mind these scenarios are all but worthless because A. They are illogical/would never happen and B. You would never actually know how you would react unless put in that situation, because your adrenaline levels would be raised and you would not be thinking with a clear head.

The Great One

"I Always d1 Lif-" SHUT UP
1. 4 innocent kids. If you dont turn the train then you technically did not kill anyone and have no blood on your hands. Plus we as humans have a deep connection with our family, and very few would have the conscience(or lack thereof) to kill their own kin.
1a. This one is stupid because the man would not stop the train, but just to go along with it I would again do nothing. There is no blood on my hands and we as a species always try to separate ourselves from the situation than get involved somehow.

2. Poison the terrorists. Chances are even if they do use you for hostage they will kill you anyway because governments tend not to negotiate with terrorists. Plus if they were just looking for hostages they would have kidnapped someone important, not hijacked a plane. Hijacking a plane would definitely be used to cause some sort of destruction which would kill everyone on the plane anyway.

3. Same as #1. You would want to not torture your daughter because it is your family and you would have blood on your hands. If you dont do it then everyone dies and it really doesnt matter what you chose, but if you tortured your daughter you would have to live with that for the rest of your life.

Also before anyone actually believes this psychoanalysis bull**** keep in mind these scenarios are all but worthless because A. They are illogical/would never happen and B. You would never actually know how you would react unless put in that situation, because your adrenaline levels would be raised and you would not be thinking with a clear head.
Also not everybody dies if you don't torture the daughter. they just leave

Zoidberg747

Also not everybody dies if you don't torture the daughter. they just leave
That makes it 100 times easier. You would do nothing as even if they did do all those things, humanity will always cause war and famine through their own greed. So tortuting your daughter wouldnt lead to any real change in the long run.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

My thing is they deal in absolutes. You can ONLY do A or ONLY do B. Says who? I wouldn't push a guy to save people, I'd throw myself down. Why can't I work out another deal with the aliens? We are creatures of imagination, we do not need to handle complex situations by simplistic means

Zoidberg747

My thing is they deal in absolutes. You can ONLY do A or ONLY do B. Says who? I wouldn't push a guy to save people, I'd throw myself down. Why can't I work out another deal with the aliens? We are creatures of imagination, we do not need to handle complex situations by simplistic means
That is a good point.

The Great One

"I Always d1 Lif-" SHUT UP
In real life we would probably do that but the point of this thread is to sorta see what people would do if they had limited choices. The point of this is to make it hard and make you question yourself as a person not to see if you can find ways around it. But that's a good point

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
1. I WILL HIT THE 4 KIDS
1.A. I WILL KILL THE MAN IN COLD BLOOD
2. I WILL POISON THE BITCHEZ AND KILL THE 300 PEOPLE ALTOGETHER
3. LOL ALIENS WILL TAKE ME AND THEY STILL WON'T HAVE ANY EMOTION BECAUSE I HAVE NONE

AND I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL

@Eldriken

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
1. Don't fucking "innocent" me :DOGE they're still kids, they're on a fucking train track and I'm still going to run them over to save my hypothetical brother. Bros before kiddos

2. Noone's going to notice my inaction if every witness to it is dead from the plane crash...so I'd just sit there and wait for my early (although eventual anyway) death.

3. This isn't a hypothetical would you rather, this is basically just saying "Aliens are here and say they'll make earth a utopia as long as you torture your daughter first."

Also how would you have to torture her? Rape? Stabbing? Electrocution? I am so turned on right now

I'd like to see you profile me now.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
So many of us have read comics/books/watched movies/heard stories of that amazing hero who always does the right thing no matter what and is willing to make the right decision at the right time. Some of them won't kill some won't do anything outrageous but at the end of the day they still end up leaving the good guys.

The question is...what if I told you that not everything you read/watch is actually true? I'm sure you've guys have played games like the Walking Dead and the Wolf Among us where if a guy was sticking a gun at your face you would choose the "calm him down" option instead of the "fuck him up" option. Of course not everybody would do that.......

Anyways a few years ago I took a psychology class and one of the units was on moral dilemmas and what it showed about someone's personality and psychological mindset so if you guys are willing I'd like to post some moral dilemmas.

If people like this I'll post more. I have loads of these and some are way harder than the simple one's I'll post here. I always find these so fun because it turns out that at the end of the day, some of us might still be bad people.You might have heard of them before but still, tell us what you would do and why? I'm not going to give you a psychoanalysis. yes I am.

NO YOU CANNOT ADAPT OR CHANGE THE STORY IN THESE DILENMAS. NO, "WHY CAN'T I JUST SAVE EVERYONE?" / "I'LL JUST PULL OUT MY BATMAN AND SAVE THEM"

Think of this as a complex would you rather.
(It requires imagination. Some of these are ridiculously situational ie I don't have a brother/daughter/wife. why would I be in a cave? etc. Instead of thinking about ways to break the story you should be thinking about why you're such a bad person.

You're driving a train. You realize that it's gone out of control and that you can't stop it. Down the road there are 4 innocent kids are crossing the tracks and you realize that you can't stop and are going to crush them. You do realize that you can turn to the tracks on your right which for some odd reason your brother is on. Do you head straight forward to protect your family or turn and kill your brother at the benefit of the others?

1.a
This is for those that chose the "righteous" path and chose not to kill the kids but instead kill your brother at the benefit of their lives. I'm guessing that you have the mentality of "Saving more lives is better'. Ok good for you. What if this time you were just a mere onlooker ontop of a cliff looking down? You see that the car is going down this one path and about to hit the 4 kids but this time you have a very large man standing next to you watching it happen. You realize that you're too small to stop the trolley but if you were to push the man off the cliff he WILL be able to stop the train (Guaranteed) and save the life of the 4 kids, but this will immediately kill him. Do you push him off to save the lives of many? Or does your righteousness only kick in when your hands aren't going to be stained?

You are aboard a plane. As it takes off and over international waters you realize that it has been hijacked by terrorist. They have locked themselves into the pilots cabin and there is no way you can get in (Guns fists ect). You do however see that there is a vent somehow leading inside and that you can somehow pour some gaseous poison in that will kill them. Here is where the dilemma kicks in. If you kill them, the plane will go down and you have just doomed everybody on the plane. You were basically the reason that those 300 innocent people died. If you do not kill them there is a possibility that they will land and use you as hostages for money or other reasons. But of course they are terrorist and you do run the risk of them causing another 9/11 and killing more lives than just those on the plane but in face other bystanders because of your inaction. What do you do?

Aliens. Yes Aliens have come to earth and they have chose you as a special specimen to examine because they lack emotion. They are willing to cure all disease/poverty/hunger on earth essentially making it a living utopia. There is a catch though, you have to torture your 12 year old daughter and they have to watch you do it. You cannot kill her but have to torture her with her awake and aware that you are the one doing it the whole time. After torturing her she will die but not before experiencing her own parent torture her for days. Our biological reaction would be to protect our own flesh and blood but what about the lives of the other 4 children? Woops did I say 4 children? I meant 7 billion other people.

Well those are the simple basic ones.

Idk it's the summer i'm bored. Do you feel like a worse person after answering those questions? Tell me what the fighting community Is like :p
1. Run over the Kids and save my family
2. Gas them
3. Save my daughter.

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai

Situation:
Someone post a dumb new thread with little actual substance. What do you do?
A. Play along and post an on-topic post.
B. Troll
You know which one I chose.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
1. I just do nothing b/c I dont believe in having a family of your own, but I will save my Imediate family or someone related to me. Im not gonna save those kids, I aint not superhero.

2. Find a parachute, jump out, and let everyone else die.

3. I wouldn't torture my own child or any kid, but that question is similar to John Travolta's character in the movie "Swordfish" which he asked Stanley (Portrayed by Hugh Jackman) he said "If you had the ability to cure cancer but you had to kill a child, would you kill that child?"

E

Eldriken

1. I WILL HIT THE 4 KIDS
3. LOL ALIENS WILL TAKE ME AND THEY STILL WON'T HAVE ANY EMOTION BECAUSE I HAVE NONE

@Eldriken
Sounds about right, my friend.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
1. I WILL HIT THE 4 KIDS

@Eldriken
AND I WILL PERFORM MY OWN PSYCHOANALYSIS:

CONGRATULATIONS! I AM DOOMSDAY!

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
In real life we would probably do that but the point of this thread is to sorta see what people would do if they had limited choices. The point of this is to make it hard and make you question yourself as a person not to see if you can find ways around it. But that's a good point
Word, and not anything on you, I did that fat guy problem in my philosophy class and I spent more time trying to convince everyone of my point, rather than the merits of both options

Side note, was listening to a radio show, and they were discussing people in terms of imaginative\creativity versus other species. As far as we know, we are the only creatures who can take two totally abstract ideas and create something. One example they gave is you can teach an ape to recognize birds and humans as concept. But only people could take parts of the two to think of something else, in this case, the wings of the bird and the body of the person to make an angel

How about more relateable moral dilemma's?

You see a man drop his wallet. Do you keep it or run after him?
You see a woman drop her wallet Do you keep it or run after her?

You're tempted to have sex with the person you like, they are super hot and everything you want, but they're in a relation ship? Do you get with them?
Same situation, but married. Do you get with them?

You see these really tough, gangster looking thugs racially attack a waitress at a bar. Do you intervene risking they beat you up or pull a weapon on you, or do you put your head down and do nothing?

You're asked to look over someone's laptop at a cafe while they quickly use the restroom. You see a random stranger try and take it. Do you stop him, or turn a blind eye
Give him or her their wallet back.
Have sex with that person because their man aint doing his job of keeping his wife satisfied (In the sexual way n marriage way obviously.
I would intervene because if I didnt I'd have guilt.
Stop the guy stealing the laptop.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Since this thread is very weird and unrealistic i'll give you guys a reeeaaaaaallly fucked up one.

It is the post-apocalypse and you are traveling with your family, to a source of guaranteed food and protection from the harsh elements. Unfortunately you're people are starving and need food to make it to their stop, they are very close but many are dropping from starvation and another day of travel without any kind of food would surely kill most if not all of them. You are the leader and there is absolutely no food sources around as wildlife is dead and the earth is barren and covered with ash and death. The only option is seemingly cannibalism.

Your group consists of:
You
Your lover
Your children(2 teenagers)
A pregnant cousin
An aunt who is a doctor
Your brother who may know of more safe places to survive
Your sister and her young child
And your parents

What do you do? If you do nothing they'll all die of starvation or ripping each other out of desperation for food.

Last edited: