What's new

MKX - PS3 Arcade Sticks Compatible with PS4

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Question for those in the know.

I haven't used a stick in years, but thinking of going back to one for MKX. What's a good PS3 stick I can use for PS4? And what button setup do most people use for MK9?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Question for those in the know.

I haven't used a stick in years, but thinking of going back to one for MKX. What's a good PS3 stick I can use for PS4? And what button setup do most people use for MK9?
Any Madcatz TE is a pretty safe bet. Are you fussed about whether they're brand new or not?

When I used stick (only dropped it for pad because my local scene used 360s for MK9), my layout went like this

Tag 1 2 Throw

Block 3 4 Flip Stance

Granted, a big part of that was because of how pivotal dash blocking was for MK9's movement and so I could have the rest of my fingers freed up for immediate counterpoking scenarios, mapping to the left probably won't be all that necessary for MKX.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Any Madcatz TE is a pretty safe bet. Are you fussed about whether they're brand new or not?

When I used stick (only dropped it for pad because my local scene used 360s for MK9), my layout went like this

Tag 1 2 Throw

Block 3 4 Flip Stance

Granted, a big part of that was because of how pivotal dash blocking was for MK9's movement and so I could have the rest of my fingers freed up for immediate counterpoking scenarios, mapping to the left probably won't be all that necessary for MKX.
Ah ok. Thanks man! Yea I heard those are the safest bet also. I prefer new sticks because I'd rather not take any chances. I wouldn't want to spend all that money getting one that breaks because it was already beat up.

I was hoping to find good ones at $200 or under if possible that can last. I'm gonna look those up now and see what's going on.

STRYKIE

Ah ok. Thanks man! Yea I heard those are the safest bet also. I prefer new sticks because I'd rather not take any chances. I wouldn't want to spend all that money getting one that breaks because it was already beat up.

I was hoping to find good ones at $200 or under if possible that can last. I'm gonna look those up now and see what's going on.
No worries. Yeah you'll definitely be able to find one brand new under $200 easy, it's only really the ones that are natively built for PS4 that exceed that.

n9195v

Noob

Tag 1 2 Throw

Block 3 4 Flip Stance

Those are some wack buttons I used

1 2 Block

Worked fine for me.

Also I'd go with a cheap wwe all stars fight stick. Just buy sanwa buttons and a sanwa JLF for it. You'd save some coin.

STRYKIE

Those are some wack buttons I used

1 2 Block

Worked fine for me.

Also I'd go with a cheap wwe all stars fight stick. Just buy sanwa buttons and a sanwa JLF for it. You'd save some coin.
So the same as mine, you just had the block button on the other side? :DOGE

n9195v

Noob
So the same as mine, you just had the block button on the other side? :DOGE
Well the other side and down one. Which makes it so your main buttons are between other buttons. I wouldn't want to sandwich my kick and punch buttons between others. So it's not just on the other side, all your P's and K's are shifted over one. It changes the button dynamic. I for one do not think I could get use to that.

So technically it's the same as yours with all the main buttons moved over one to the right then placing two buttons from one side the the other and shifting them up and down.:DOGE

STRYKIE

Well the other side and down one. Which makes it so your main buttons are between other buttons. I wouldn't want to sandwich my kick and punch buttons between others. So it's not just on the other side, all your P's and K's are shifted over one. It changes the button dynamic. I for one do not think I could get use to that.

So technically it's the same as yours with all the main buttons moved over one to the right then placing two buttons from one side the the other and shifting them up and down.:DOGE
Well for the record, I do leave it on default for SF, it's just the block button (being a button for a dedicated non-attacking command) in MK games that makes the ergonomics subjective.

The buttons on the far right are negligible since throw/flip stance (if and when at all necessary) have manual commands anyway.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@Anyone that can help.

Looking at PS3 sticks and I see some Mad Catz and Hori sticks that I'm trying to narrow down to 1. Is there any reason why a stick would be banned for tournament or something that I need to know before purchase? And would they all be able to be used on PS4 for MKX?

@Anyone that can help.

Looking at PS3 sticks and I see some Mad Catz and Hori sticks that I'm trying to narrow down to 1. Is there any reason why a stick would be banned for tournament or something that I need to know before purchase? And would they all be able to be used on PS4 for MKX?
Mad Catz stick are probably the safest bet, but it probably comes down to preference more than anything.

Mad Catz sticks use square gate if that matters to you, i'm really not that familiar with Hori sticks so that could vary.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Mad Catz stick are probably the safest bet, but it probably comes down to preference more than anything.

Mad Catz sticks use square gate if that matters to you, i'm really not that familiar with Hori sticks so that could vary.
Damn. All the ones I'm looking for online right now are either sold out or higher priced. Do you know where I can get one for $200 or under?

Damn. All the ones I'm looking for online right now are either sold out or higher priced. Do you know where I can get one for $200 or under?
I'm not sure when this would ship, but the new PS3/PS4 Mad Catz stick (compatible with both systems from what the site suggests) seems available for pre-order.

The site suggests that there are currently (9) left as of this posting. It is $200.00, if you're looking to buy one new or used and don't have one already and willing to spend the money, this is probably what I would buy depending on when it is shipped/received.

http://store.madcatz.com/platforms/playstation3/Mad-Catz-Ultra-Street-Fighter-IV-Arcade-FightStick-Tournament-Edition-2-for-PS4-PS3.html

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I'm not sure when this would ship, but the new PS3/PS4 Mad Catz stick (compatible with both systems from what the site suggests) seems available for pre-order.

The site suggests that there are currently (9) left as of this posting. It is $200.00, if you're looking to buy one new or used and don't have one already and willing to spend the money, this is probably what I would buy depending on when it is shipped/received.

http://store.madcatz.com/platforms/playstation3/Mad-Catz-Ultra-Street-Fighter-IV-Arcade-FightStick-Tournament-Edition-2-for-PS4-PS3.html
Something like this is exactly what i'm looking for. Thanks. About to see about it right now.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Yep I'm in business. Filling it out now. Delivery will be before MKX so I'll have a little time to readjust to the stick once again.

Thanks man. This was a massive help!!!

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I'm unsure if I should jump on the fight stick bandwagon. I prefer a d-pad but my hands get so tired from a controller. it has to be less exhausting using a fight stick. But I just don't know how well I'd adapt.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I'm unsure if I should jump on the fight stick bandwagon. I prefer a d-pad but my hands get so tired from a controller. it has to be less exhausting using a fight stick. But I just don't know how well I'd adapt.
It isn't for everyone, but you have to play it consistently to get used to it. It was alien to me at first but I had a few guys help me learn and played Tekken for years on the arcade cabinets after. When I left the scene it was the controller that felt weird lol.

To me it's one of those things that you have to know you'll suck with it for a while, but stay with it until you eventually master it. That's the only way really.

STRYKIE

Special shout out to @MortySeinfeld and @STRYKIE for the fight stick info.

It is a thing of beauty and handles better than I was expecting. Without a doubt better than my previous one and going back felt like riding a back again.

Thanks again. Both my future Top 8's in May will be in your honor. :D
Glad to be of help man, and good to hear you're happy with the investment. :)

SGX

Noob
I believe the Skullgirls driver was eventually updated to work with PS360+ boards. (Or the newer firmware updates for PS360+ allow it to work with the Skullgirls driver, one or the other)

also the layout I always used was:

1 Blk 2
3 Tag 4

Sami

Noob
Dumb question - does the "generic USB controller" thing mean that it will work with PC USB controllers? Obviously not the 360/XB1 controllers but some of the older pads or things that don't try to pretend to be 360 pads?