What's new

mkx online beta a small complete review the good and the bad

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
wait you are right..lol my bad like i said i woul,d admit it..

but MK9 was 30fps, it fluctuated between 60FPS and 30 at different times, which is generally the 30FPS standard

i had my shit wrote out ass backwards lol....
\

ill edit above, see i learened something like i said it would educate us some how :)
MK9 was 60fps. Most fighting games are. The only time MK9 dipped below 60fps was during unintended slowdown on PS3 and perhaps non gameplay related cutscenes that were 30fps (like story mode or x-ray cinematics).

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
MK9 was 60fps. Most fighting games are. The only time MK9 dipped below 60fps was during unintended slowdown on PS3 and perhaps non gameplay related cutscenes that were 30fps (like story mode or x-ray cinematics).
yep you right....;)

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
the mkx online beta is great, is something we been waiting for a long time. there is hardly any input delay or no input delay at all. but does it play just like offline?

the answer is no as simple as a yes or no. the easiest way to explain this is by talking about the "ping " between the connections. the smaller the pin number is the closer to an offline experience you will get but only connection with a 60 or lower ping will give you a true like offline experience. lets point out that any conection with a ping under 200 will give you a no input delay or very small input delay experience. so if this is the case what change to make a connection with a ping greater than 100 no as close to offline as a connection with a ping lower than 60?

i notice that as the ping increases the game start to skip frames in a very smart way which still allow you to have a smooth and no delay experience. this is great but as we know playing under a bad connection always come with something bad attached to it. in this case you will find that some moves are now safer online or moves that are -3 on block may be 0 now. you will elso find that moves like kano knive are harder to block on reaction at mid range even when you are not having any input delay.

now this is a beta and improvements are still been made however if this was the final product which nrs will give us i can say that i would be very pleased with it. the experience of no delay it is great even if under a bad connection moves become safer.
What's your first name

This is the one true mystery

MadeOfMetal

All good, I was just going to say the display database had the best at 17, so when I saw 13 I was curious.

I'm planning to get a sony for my next TV as I get more into fighting games. My current TV is a samsung f6300 series, which is apparently at 40ms.

Do you notice a big difference when playing on your TV versus one with a higher level of lag?
yes

do i notice kinda, some characters that have faster links, i do.. on reversals and when i try to make tight frame traps, i can notice the difference.

it feels like i have 2.4 frames of lag when im on my other one at 40 something.

and ill miss the timing of my frame links..

also i can not do B1 cancel with D'vorah, with the 40ms tv.. but on the 16.9ms i can with no problem.. it also seems that uppercut combos in corner feel like they have a slight bit more time to react after the uppercut.. maybe its in my head, cuz i know 2-4 frams is not that much of a diff but sometime i feel it can be.

MadeOfMetal

Maybe I should ask @ESG Jagged for help.
maybe you should.. ima run to the store then we can party chat doggie. maybe get another KOTH going, or run the BETA again.... either way im excited for the BETA release on the 1stOTM

lol that KOTH last night wants u to teach em johnny, LMAO.

i stayed and beat em with SONYA demo all night, and then beat the auzzies Quan with goro.

u know the one that was hella fake and obnoxious....

he was super sour bought u ;) but like i told him play him more and you will learn something, just like how every time i play your johnny i learn another tool to open up your pressure.

lol im a scrub i didnt know i could D1 dat bag, i just figured a MID is a MID and id get stuffed... but thanks for the tip ;)

Last edited:

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
All good, I was just going to say the display database had the best at 17, so when I saw 13 I was curious.

I'm planning to get a sony for my next TV as I get more into fighting games. My current TV is a samsung f6300 series, which is apparently at 40ms.

Do you notice a big difference when playing on your TV versus one with a higher level of lag?
Don't do that man, if it's just for fighting games get a proper monitor. 2ms. They run between 200-300$

What's your first name

This is the one true mystery
lmao my name is anviorix. it was my user name in mkd as well and i change it to Riu when mka came out because i realized nobody was using their real name to play online lol i did not speak English back in mkd which is why i used my first name anviorix as my gamertag. too much info you only ask for my name.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I play on my TV, unless they make 75 inch monitors....

I think the very best over at the display lag input database is 9s....which would be great, but 17 won't be that bad. Besides, I'm still playing primarily online for the near future, so I think it will be fine to practice and improve on.
well, im telling ya man thats a gigantic difference in fighting games. As good as the netcode is you wont experience it the way its meant to be going that route. But at least you'll be able to see it I guess lol

well, im telling ya man thats a gigantic difference in fighting games. As good as the netcode is you wont experience it the way its meant to be going that route. But at least you'll be able to see it I guess lol
TV/Monitor is honestly a huge difference. You may not be able to see it very well, but as soon as you change to a monitor, it feels very different. I never thought my TV was even that bad until I got a monitor. Don't get me wrong, you can practice and stuff on a tv, but getting a monitor helps so much. Also helps with rhythm games like Rock Band so you don't have to deal with all that calibration bullshit.

MadeOfMetal

TV/Monitor is honestly a huge difference. You may not be able to see it very well, but as soon as you change to a monitor, it feels very different. I never thought my TV was even that bad until I got a monitor. Don't get me wrong, you can practice and stuff on a tv, but getting a monitor helps so much. Also helps with rhythm games like Rock Band so you don't have to deal with all that calibration bullshit.
yeah my TV is at 1 frame of lag
16.9 of 16.66
id say that's ok.. its one frame, i can deal with that

but i see what everyone is saying monitors are great for Gaming. i just want a huge TV.

i have a 55" TV so having to down grade for a monitor, is kinda disturbing to me and my friends. who come and play.

But if i wasnt hosting at my house id get a Monitor at 3ms

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
lmao my name is anviorix. it was my user name in mkd as well and i change it to Riu when mka came out because i realized nobody was using their real name to play online lol i did not speak English back in mkd which is why i used my first name anviorix as my gamertag. too much info you only ask for my name.
I tried 20 times to try and pronounce that and I'm fairly certain I failed every time lol

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
There are no monitors with 2ms delay, not sure where you got that from.

If the worlds best can compete with 17ms then I'm sure I'll be fine.
Response time and input lag are two separate things. The response time can be 2ms but the input lag is 7ms which gives you a total of 9ms. If displaylag.com says the TV you want has 17ms of input lag, you should be fine. Generally, that's the price you have to pay for playing on a bigger screen.

If you want a gaming monitor cheap though, I'd recommend the Asus VH238H. It's got 11ms of total lag, and it's a reputable brand. It's really cheap too, only $135 and I see Amazon has free shipping and a $20 rebate right now.