What's new

mkx online beta a small complete review the good and the bad

the mkx online beta is great, is something we been waiting for a long time. there is hardly any input delay or no input delay at all. but does it play just like offline?

the answer is no as simple as a yes or no. the easiest way to explain this is by talking about the "ping " between the connections. the smaller the pin number is the closer to an offline experience you will get but only connection with a 60 or lower ping will give you a true like offline experience. lets point out that any conection with a ping under 200 will give you a no input delay or very small input delay experience. so if this is the case what change to make a connection with a ping greater than 100 no as close to offline as a connection with a ping lower than 60?

i notice that as the ping increases the game start to skip frames in a very smart way which still allow you to have a smooth and no delay experience. this is great but as we know playing under a bad connection always come with something bad attached to it. in this case you will find that some moves are now safer online or moves that are -3 on block may be 0 now. you will elso find that moves like kano knive are harder to block on reaction at mid range even when you are not having any input delay.

now this is a beta and improvements are still been made however if this was the final product which nrs will give us i can say that i would be very pleased with it. the experience of no delay it is great even if under a bad connection moves become safer.

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
1. "hardly any input delay "

2. " lets point out that any conection with a pin under 200 will give you a no input delay or very small input delay experience."

3. "this is great but as we know playing under a bad connection always come with something bad attached to it. in this case you will find that some moves are now safer online or moves that are -3 on block may be 0 now. you will elso find that moves like kano knive are harder to block on reaction at mid range even when you are not having any input delay."
im glad you made this post

but i would like to clear up a few things here, so others are not mistaken.

1. there is 0 input delay, they are not using that method of netcode anymore. we have no more than 3 frames of input delay on a good connection.

2. this implies that there is input delay and there is not, the delay is visual, and it all depends on what TV you are using as well. a frame in MS is 33.3 @30FPS and 16.67ms @60FPS, so if your tv does 75MS delay then you have almsot 4.4 frames of lag from tv ALONE on MKX which is 60FPS and 2.2 on MK9 up to 4.4 frames of lag since MK9 fluctuated from 30FPS to 60FPS at different buffewr frames to compenste for visual display issues

3. the current version of Mortal Kombat X has Input Delay Netcode, which allready has at best connection possible, 6 frames of lag. and on ping spikes, up to 80Frames of lag. for an online FG 3 frames of lag is expected, but note here its not Input delay it is Visual delay, you are seeing the screen 3 frames late, thats causing you to press your button 3 frames late.. i can account for games with Zero input delay at 200MS connections because i have a TV at 13ms display.

the small amount of input delay we actually have is near inhuman to actually detect.

all in all Very good job NRS greatest netcode you have ever made.

game can be played online, just choose the best connection in MS 100 or below and you should be fine.

and yes when you ping spike 300+ it is hard to see moves coming at you cuz the visual delay.. but im completely fine with this, its 1000X better than normal MKX

Last edited:
I agree the netcode is better with the beta but I still don't think it can compete with KI's or SF's. It's still light years better than the original MKX version. Hopefully it will improve. I definitely would like to know NRS's next move as far as if they're going to update the standard version via internet or how they plan on implementing the new netcode altogether. On a side note, I've had a lot of games desynch and I'm hoping that improves. I still applaud the effort and listening to their fans.

champdee

Noob
TL;DR

The netcode is godlike, and higher ping makes it not as good.

Makes sense no?
yeah basically, I've had a few times where the ping would jump up and you'd see this red icon at the bottom pretty much informing you of lag spikes, but that's only been a few times other than that it's been good. One thing I want to say is everyone should still keep (or pls try) your stuff wired (cat 5e ethernet cord minimum)

But yeah it's good :)

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Will the ggpo get worse when its installed in the main game? I feel like the more people in the beta the worse it gets. Or am I wrong?

MadeOfMetal

Will the ggpo get worse when its installed in the main game? I feel like the more people in the beta the worse it gets. Or am I wrong?
no it wont get worse because there is more people, but you will definitely have hella WIFI connections on there at 300ms and above.. but now we have the Ping indicator, to view before match. and during.

if they using WIFI it will potentially double thier Ping vs Wired.

and with wireless there is tons of ping spikes..

easy way to tell weather ot not you are playing a WIFI or Wired in BETA is to, look at ping at botom.. BOTH Wired will usualy stay the same all match, with minimal MS climb. 60 to 80 ms on average connection.. but with WIFI on one end, you will see that number double at times to even Quadruple 60 to 350 to 1000ms at times...

even though Ping indicators is a good thing, we really need a WIRED vs WIFI indicator as well, because only accepting 120ms connection's and below don't grantee it will stay that way all match...

what they are doing is good, but its not enough.

like i said in another thread i would like the game to recognize WIFI connections and disable online function untill they set thier Console to WIRED Connection. but like another User on here said, "make a WIFI indicator" that would show who is WIRED and WHO is WIFI, pre-match!

that way the lazy users or incapable users can use thier twice as slow fluctuating WIFI connection that is possible boucing off every wall in thier house, while i never have to play them with an EMD certified twisted CAT Ethernet connection (hard wired).

this way all those who care about having a good competitive match, can do so, lag free, while the ones who do not care and don't take the cost effective simple steps to make thier rig more effecient for them selfs and others, can play with eaqchother and have thier Obnoxious Lag filled matches, while the rest of us can Play lag free and have fun.

Great Job NRS for making this BETA it is A billion times better, but there are some small adjustments that need to be change like the Above, implement a WIFI indicator that shows pre match for those who use Wireless connections for thier online Console. its about as simple as the ping indicator, in fact would be even more simple than that.. the ping indicator has to refresh every second, this just needs to be displayed once prematch.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
So far the beta is great. On fios with 150mb up and down and all matches I have played I haven't experienced desync and it feels as smooth as ki so far.
When the beta goes live or even in the beta I want to see how KOH is handled with a full room etc...

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
2. this implies that there is input delay and there is not, the delay is visual, and it all depends on what TV you are using as well. a frame in MS is 33.3, so if your tv does 75MS delay then you have almsot 2.5 frames of lag from tv ALONE.
A frame is actually 16.6 Milliseconds. So any ping higher than 30 will cause discrepancies.

What nobody is mentioning in these reviews is the rollbacks. Right now, I think NRS is doing a good job handling the rollbacks. Once the ping gets to about 150ms, the rollbacks can have a bigger affect. It can change hit confirms into block confirms. Certain moves come out faster (visually) making them unreactable. It's not necessarily NRS fault though. I think the netcode is near perfect.

Online is never going to be perfect 1:1 with offline, but this is really close.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Let me make this clear: The multiple frame skips and rollbacks during higher ping connections only happened in the first version of the beta. Since then, what they did to limit the skips and rollbacks were to adjust the input delay so the higher the ping, the more likely it'll be to pre-rollback online.

Also don't fool yourselves into thinking that there is 0 input delay, that's only a placebo effect. There definitely is, just not as much as the horrible online that we suffered from for the past 4 years.

MadeOfMetal

Let me make this clear: The multiple frame skips and rollbacks during higher ping connections only happened in the first version of the beta. Since then, what they did to limit the skips and rollbacks were to adjust the input delay so the higher the ping, the more likely it'll be to pre-rollback online.

Also don't fool yourselves into thinking that there is 0 input delay, that's only a placebo effect. There definitely is, just not as much as the horrible online that we suffered from for the past 4 years.
thats a more correct way of saying what i did, they might have thought from my post that, there was absolutely no input delay when there is, what i was stating that the lag was causing it. the lag would cause visual input delay instead. this time when your ping skyrockets above 1000k in amatch, all buttons are unresponsive untill caught up, ime

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
UMM no not on 60FPS games like MKX,

BF3 and MK9 had 30fps and that would be 16.6, but you double that number on 60FPS games, when directly related to a time interval of frames per second and the base is 60 in that time frame your number will be 33.3

even though the amopunt of a frame is 16.6ms on a 60FPS FG you would use 33.3 in your calculations to figure out how many Frames of lag you are experiencing.

at least thats what ive been told by a few techs..... either way we will be educated from this.

im sure they are right, but if they are wrong on this spicific game then my bad ;)
1000/60=16.66

MK9 is 60fps and so is MKX. Battlefield is 30 fps so 1000/30=33.33

It's pretty simple math when you look at it...

but now we have the Ping indicator, to view before match. and during.
Do we think that the ping indicator will be standard in the final release? I was under the impression that it may only be there while the beta was running. But having the option would be good. I don't think it needs to stay on screen during play though.

MadeOfMetal

Do we think that the ping indicator will be standard in the final release? I was under the impression that it may only be there while the beta was running. But having the option would be good. I don't think it needs to stay on screen during play though.
yes it does, and its in final release, it better be, thats the only thing keeping me playing that game, the fact i can check pre match before i play them.

it displaying shows us when we are having ping spikes, they even implamented a caution sybol to appeare when inputs are unresponsive, at very high ping where system is unable to establish connection between the teo.. about 600ms to 3000ms

Last edited:

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
People keep saying there is 0 input delay, but that simply isn't true. The more they cutback on rollback the more input latency there will be. For example, on Skullgirls, it gives you the option to pick your input delay from 0 and up. However, the lower you choose the more rollback there can be.

MadeOfMetal

1000/60=16.66

MK9 is 60fps and so is MKX. Battlefield is 30 fps so 1000/30=33.33

It's pretty simple math when you look at it...
wait you are right..lol my bad like i said i woul,d admit it..

but MK9 was 30fps, it fluctuated between 60FPS and 30 at different times, which is generally the 30FPS standard

i had my shit wrote out ass backwards lol....
\

ill edit above, see i learened something like i said it would educate us some how :)

MadeOfMetal

People keep saying there is 0 input delay, but that simply isn't true. The more they cutback on rollback the more input latency there will be. For example, on Skullgirls, it gives you the option to pick your input delay from 0 and up. However, the lower you choose the more rollback there can be.
its basically close to none, compared to Input Delay Netcode that the current version has. like 3 second input delay on your worst match, and half a second on average wifi connections. to 14 frame lag on solid ones that might possibly be wifi.

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
Sounds like a bit of sugar coating being done here on another failed attempt by NRS to really improve the netcode.

ScorpXL

Goro?
Sounds like a bit of sugar coating being done here on another failed attempt by NRS to really improve the netcode.
Have you even tried the new netcode yet? It's not perfect, but nothing ever is. The general consensus is that the new netcode is a huge improvement over the current one. Or are you just going to conveniently ignore all the positive feedback, and only take into account the few cases where there have been issues. At least try it first before you write it off as a 'failure'.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Lol

Failed? Do you see anybody in here saying "failed"

WTF you talking about, explain yourself I'm genuinely curious how you think this is a failed attempt?