What's new

MKX Comic Plot Discussion & Speculation Thread

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
With Shang Tsung dead MKDA can't happen which was half the reason most of the characters went to Outworld, which means MKDe can't happen.

Shujinko can round up all the Kamidogu for Damashi, but Onaga will never be reborn to reclaim them and his army will never be revived. Hell, without Scorpion's constant ass whooping, Quan Chi will never even find the army or the runestone.
I think the non-Shao Kahn(kind of) and Liu Kang killing parts of DA can still totally happen.

Quan Chi can still stumble upon Onaga's army, and if Shang Tsung is indeed dead(though I still want to believe he somehow survived) Quan has access to his soul and can bring him back as a "minion" rather than a partner. The reason he teamed up with Shang in DA was so that he could soul transfer to bring back Onaga's army. As far as Onaga goes, Shujinko and Reptile are still alive and kicking as far as we know so things can fall into place, though not exactly like they did before, and give use a pseudo-DA & D story.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
With the emergence of Kung-Lao, who is apparently not an evil wraith and assumably a good guy, it might be safe to say that Raiden managed to reclaim some of the lost souls.

I think this Sub is Kuai and the one in the game is Bi-Han.

I think Raiden was able to get him a new body(which explains the lack of robot parts or scars), seeing as how he is working with Raiden and is also dressed like Kuai circa-MK3, and he's getting a very similar scar again as a sort of call-back(and possibly hint for us).

I also think Kano is working with Quan-Chi, and he captures/kills Kuai for him, which is why Quan tells the Sub in game in an intro quote that he has his brother's soul, and why Sub-Zero in game seems a bit more hostile toward Raiden.

haketh

Noob
I disagree with people bashing the first issue, the pacing's fine, the gore as Shawn said isn't just "there" because of MK, it's justified due to the plot. Haters need to stop hating or just stop reading now. The comic will last a while, no doubt about it and love the artwork and writing.
No point blank peroid, the comics pacing was awful. The gore was whatever but this issue hopped around so much & didn't focus on anything. It was just random name drops & stuff just happening with no rhyme or reason. This was pure amateur work, if it wasn't MK related this shit would be getting slammed for the crap it was. I'm looking forward to the rest but this was not a good start.

trufenix

bye felicia
I think the non-Shao Kahn(kind of) and Liu Kang killing parts of DA can still totally happen.

Quan Chi can still stumble upon Onaga's army, and if Shang Tsung is indeed dead(though I still want to believe he somehow survived) Quan has access to his soul and can bring him back as a "minion" rather than a partner. The reason he teamed up with Shang in DA was so that he could soul transfer to bring back Onaga's army. As far as Onaga goes, Shujinko and Reptile are still alive and kicking as far as we know so things can fall into place, though not exactly like they did before, and give use a pseudo-DA & D story.
well, i mean, this is all fiction they could write whatever they want and just say a wizard did it, but why pretzel up their story just to paint themselves back into the same corner? NRS set the standard for fighting game stories with MK9. I hope they don't waste that opportunity on fucking Onaga.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Don't get me wrong, I want you to be right, I just don't feel like this has the legs to go as long as Injustice does. Injustice the game made no effort to fill in the 5 year gap and the DC universe has a nigh infinite amount of room for stories in there. MKX is going to tell stories during the 25 year gap, and the MKU only has about 60 people to spare, 30 or so of whom have to make it to MKX intact without their faces punched off.

It would be pretty baller if the comic kept going AFTER the game, since I suspect it will be a while before NRS goes back to canon MK games after this.
Yeah, it is all speculation, but I think the MK base is pretty big, and thus it should do very well.

On top of that, the MKU has infinite room to grow as well, just like a DC or a Marvel. Just becaue MK hasn't been around as long as those other guys, that doesn't mean the possibilities are as endless. Keep in mind that the stories that Kittleson says he is going to tell in these first few run have mostly only to do with Outworld and Earthrealm, but as you know, there are MANY more realms and worlds to tell stories about too. And also remember that MK has only had about 60 or so fighters in the games that have been realized, but there are many more that are only in the lore that have never had their time to shine.

Characters like Jataaka and Kia, or Tremor and Gemini, are wholly unexplored and aren't typically counted as characters in the MKU proper, and even whole factions like Lin Kuei, or the Brother of Shadow, even the Clerics of Chaos, can be dived into and blown out as they have never been blown out in terms of details (may the Lin Kuei have, though I'd argue they can go deeper). And this doesn't even take into account that Kittleson and team are creating new characters as we go, as we've already been introduced to Takeda and Suchin (though she is dead), and we know we'll have Forrest Fox to look forward to, as well as the new characters being introduced first in MKX.

This MK as a comic universe is wholly unexplored, and that should be held against it at all. The MKU is HUGE and expansive...it just needs the right people behind it to really make it shine. I hope Kittleson and the people behind him are those people.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
well, i mean, this is all fiction they could write whatever they want and just say a wizard did it, but why pretzel up their story just to paint themselves back into the same corner? NRS set the standard for fighting game stories with MK9. I hope they don't waste that opportunity on fucking Onaga.
Revisiting isn't the same as "fucking" something up. If this were a straight reboot i'd advise against it, but this is just the MK timeline altered.

They obviously went in with the reboot knowing that they wanted some things to still happen, and I think many things will happen again regardless of some of the changes.

My speculation of what I think should happen shouldn't be use to measure the quality of the way things might actually happen. I'm sure if they did an altered MKDA, MKD, or MKA they would know how to present it in an interesting way.

I don't get what you mean by painting themselves back into the same corner because they were never painted into a corner, Armageddon didn't happen because there was no other place to go, that's just where they chose to take it.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I see...

So the comics take place 5 years after Deadly Alliance? Which was what in relation to Deception?
Whether or not the comic is exactly 5 years after DA is up in the air, but that is presumably the case. And MKDA and Deception were one story told in 2 parts. The DA begat Onaga, so who knows what will happen since Shang Tsung is dead (we think) as he and Quan Chi were the catalyst for pretty much everything that happened after MK4.

@trufenix Another thing, since Quan Chi is still around, anything can happen. Though Shang was needed by Quan Chi in the DA era for soul manipulation, Quan seemingly learned some stuff in MK9 and could manipulate souls to a small degree in that game. There is also the theory that Quan Chi has his own time maniputlation scheme going on that spans the old and new timelines where he, similar to Raiden, knows things changed, and is further manipulating things as they happen.

Remember, in Quan Chi's Armageddon ending it was revealed that Quan could be the root of all disruption in the realms...

"The defeat of Blaze enhanced Quan Chi's already powerful sorcery beyond his imaginings. The surge of energy was so great that it shattered his medallion. In his arrogance, Quan Chi ascended from Edenia to assault The Heavens. There he confronted me, with the Elder Gods at my side. The quest had been an elaborate trap designed to pinpoint the true source of disruption in the realms. As punishment, Quan Chi was transformed into a Kamidogu - the very medallion he had carried with him for so many years. The Elder Gods cast the magical item back in time, at the exact point where Shinnok had first discovered it. "

If Quan's MKA ending is even half true, Quan Chi possibly could be a paradox in himself, on top of being the master manipulator we know him to be.

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
This prologue is only few years after the last game, so i wonder when it gets to the 15 year mark if Takeda is still around. I can't see him being just canon fodder.

Slymind

Noob
One interesting detail is that Sonya is alive, and given that this comic happened after the Netherrealm invasion it ups her chances of being in the next game.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I think Daegon's design was fine, it's no worse than Shao Kahn or Reiko's and is in the same style. I'm really interested to see what the new design will be, but if it stayed the same I wouldn't be upset.

That said, i'm glad he's going to have a chance to blossom this time around, maybe.

I do have a sneaking suspition he'll be the big bad of the comics and die in them in the end, which is bullshit in my opinion because I think he has potential.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
No point blank peroid, the comics pacing was awful. The gore was whatever but this issue hopped around so much & didn't focus on anything. It was just random name drops & stuff just happening with no rhyme or reason. This was pure amateur work, if it wasn't MK related this shit would be getting slammed for the crap it was. I'm looking forward to the rest but this was not a good start.
I disagree, even comicvine gave the issue 5/5 and that site is the world's most known and overall accurate comic book site. Anyone who follows MK mythos can't possibly be not satisfied with this unless their standards are ridiculously high or just one of those people that go out of their way to look for more negatives to them than positives. The gore was perfectly aligned with the story element, it didn't feel forced and the pacing was fine. It's not like they did what some MKL shows did and waste half the episode with flashbacks, they were brief and to the point here. How was it random? The name drops had purpose behind them, clearly Kano knows that Sub-Zero worked for or with Quan-Chi at some point so that's just kano's witty personality to mock him for it then doing something good hence why Sub mentioned "Lord Raiden" implying allegiance clearly to Raiden. Same with the other examples.

So ultimately I'd have to disagree, the start is great and while you're entitled to your opinion you are also in a huge minority based on everything I've read so far today on various sites talking about this MK X comic and the feedback. Most sites I go to be it comic book, ign or mk sites I'd say 98% of people loved it...even on comicvine as I said that site is a hard sell so for it to have 5 stars on there and fans interested tells me they did something right.

I also have to say your name badge point can be said about tons of things such as Marvel's AOS, the show is average at best and first season was shit as far as I'm concerned but due to "hey watch us we have same continuity as the movies and Marvel" badge to save them, it was renewed....but the fact is it has nothing on shows like Flash. MK comics had been in demand for YEARS, period. This is a great series starting out to be, it's what fans have wanted most true MK fans as one myself who's been following MK since MK 1 through now I'm very pleased with this. I don't think it's crap at all... I think it's awesome. Also, for a buck you can't go wrong here. I go to my shop weekly and have bought books for 4 bucks that were shitty or very disappointing, this is at least worth my money to me. Cheers. I do hope you enjoy the series as it progresses.

I disagree with people bashing the first issue, the pacing's fine, the gore as Shawn said isn't just "there" because of MK, it's justified due to the plot. Haters need to stop hating or just stop reading now. The comic will last a while, no doubt about it and love the artwork and writing.

I just wonder who this Sub-Zero is, because he didn't have the scar in MK 9(neither Sub-Zero had any) Kuai Liang didn't in the new timeline. This is still throwing me for a loop, I know it's gotta be a relative the Zero's. On the other hand, Bi-Han worked for Quan-Chi well got the amulet more or less for him but who knows maybe Quan-Chi resurrected Kuai Liang to normal form, then at some point he was released by his control? Then got his original canon scar? Maybe that IS him in the MKX timeline but older and maybe the medallion healed his scar? Just some possibilities throwing out there.

Good to see some things haven't changed like Kenshi working with the Special Forces(he was an ally to them originally btw) Deadly Alliance and Deception he was helping them and working with Sub-Zero(Kuai Liang) in Outworld or I should say OIA group. They just kind of write him as a spy/undercover currently. Either way he's still a good guy.

Hsu Hao lol, I knew he was going to die but the way he died was fucking epic! Another nice feat for Scorpion. Scorpion at least so far in this book seems to be similar to The Spectre in DC comics, with him battling Scorpion side of himself while retaining Hanzo's humanity. Very cool concept.

On the contrary I think this series will last a while ;)

10/10 great first issue, look forward to more!!
Pfft, so what we feel went wrong with the issue automatically equates to hating? It's our opinion on the comic, and obviously we wouldn't be on this website if we didn't like Mortal Kombat. Dismissing dissenting opinions as "hating" instead of critiques gets people nowhere. Not saying my opinion is any more valid than anyone else's, but outright lumping every negative opinion about something as being a "hater" leads to no discussion at all and is the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ear going "lalala." Sorry I'm not a person who thinks Netherrealm and Shawn Kittelson can do no wrong. Sorry for having an opinion that's not quite shared with you.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Pfft, so what we feel went wrong with the issue automatically equates to hating? It's our opinion on the comic, and obviously we wouldn't be on this website if we didn't like Mortal Kombat. Dismissing dissenting opinions as "hating" instead of critiques gets people nowhere. Not saying my opinion is any more valid than anyone else's, but outright lumping every negative opinion about something as being a "hater" leads to no discussion at all and is the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ear going "lalala." Sorry I'm not a person who thinks Netherrealm and Shawn Kittelson can do no wrong. Sorry for having an opinion that's not quite shared with you.
You can have, I just feel in my opinion some of the few bashing comments or "hating" or "not liking" the comic, whatever you want to call it are silly. I'm not saying you have to love everything about it but just saying at least the guy writing it is an actual MK fan for one and knows his shit, two. You seem to have taken offense to my comment, it's just my general statement. Try not to be THAT bothered by it please. I get it you and the other dude didn't like it, fine I'm merely saying I disagree and majority enjoyed it clearly as this thread proves.

I also just want to point out I don't recall anyone saying "Shawn Kittelson can do no wrong" but just saying these guys and NRS didn't have to give us a prequel comic so I as a loyal MK fan will be appreciative of their efforts at least. Perhaps you'll like future issues. :)