What's new

MKX "3-styles" - good or bad?

cyke_out

Noob
Sorry I completely disagree about removing character roles or archetype in favor of every character being more well rounded.

I'd like a game to have some Chuck Liddell's, and some Matt Hughes as opposed to everyone being GSP.

The contrasting styles is what makes things interesting. The tug of war between keep away and rush down is my favorite part of a fighter. The match up can be balanced if each style wins as long as it can impose it's gameplay and loses when taken out of it's element.

When every character has the same well rounded style then every character plays the same and that sounds awful to me.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Another huge problem of NRS games I've already brought up before - movelists are 90% useless which create Kabal 23 or Superman f23 spam. The rest of movelists are trash. This also has to be adressed somehow b/c this is the reason characters lack versatility too and thus 7-3 and worse MU's are born.
This. Many characters have some really cool moves that are completely useless. They should really work on that

d3v

SRK
Another huge problem of NRS games I've already brought up before - movelists are 90% useless which create Kabal 23 or Superman f23 spam. The rest of movelists are trash. This also has to be adressed somehow b/c this is the reason characters lack versatility too and thus 7-3 and worse MU's are born.
This is because Boon has such a hard on for turning the game into 2D Tekken.

They really should just get rid of strings and give us a more freeform system based on links, chains or even just targets.

Hm, never really thought about it this way--it's definitely an interesting argument. I do foresee variation counter picking for sure, but at least the person can stick with a character rather than character counter picking.

I do see what you mean though about making it roles by character--hopefully they make it so that the variations are pretty close together...what I mean is that if a character is a zoner, do not have a rushdown variation. Make each variation a little different but not too far apart. I don't know, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Sorry I completely disagree about removing character roles or archetype in favor of every character being more well rounded.

I'd like a game to have some Chuck Liddell's, and some Matt Hughes as opposed to everyone being GSP.

The contrasting styles is what makes things interesting. The tug of war between keep away and rush down is my favorite part of a fighter. The match up can be balanced if each style wins as long as it can impose it's gameplay and loses when taken out of it's element.

When every character has the same well rounded style then every character plays the same and that sounds awful to me.
he wants MK Trilogy

This is because Boon has such a hard on for turning the game into 2D Tekken.

They really should just get rid of strings and give us a more freeform system based on links, chains or even just targets.
Sincere question: how are targets different than strings?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
This doesnt make gameplay any better.. Blind pick is not a fix to bad balance it only makes game more random as you now have to play rock/paper/scissors game at character select screen. And if you guess wrong you have to play 7-3 or worse MU which is pretty much unwinnable.
I wasn't talking about balance.

You pulled your point into my statement...... which wasn't what I was referring to.

I simply stated that counterpicking wouldn't happen if you allowed the winner to change and blind picks happened more.
The whole notion of winner stays locked makes no sense in reality anyway.

d3v

SRK
From what I gather, most of what people fear for is: having a Variation for their character that they will not want to play (the boring variation) but might have to due to necessity or having one variation outclass the rest of the variations (the best).
This has never been a problem once a community became serious/mature enough about competition. People just learned to adapt pick based on which character/style gave them the best chances for their preferred playstyle.
Sincere question: how are targets different than strings?
You have to hitconfirm targets. They're basically a more limited form of chains.

KHAOTIC_BLAZE

Kickass squad aka razorblazemcg
Having 3 styles is a great thing cuz I don't want to be force to have a secondary cuz of counterpicks they should add a feature not allowing us to see who our opponents is picking without doing hidden curser like how SF has it or allow us to hide our curser picking styles.

Belial

Noob
Having 3 styles is a great thing cuz I don't want to be force to have a secondary cuz of counterpicks they should add a feature not allowing us to see who our opponents is picking without doing hidden curser like how SF has it or allow us to hide our curser picking styles.
You dont realize this IS forcing secondary, do you?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Paulo confirmed hidden cursor will be available on the variation select screen.
This I did not know as I can see some others didn't as well. But now that I do I cannot express how happy I am about it. It was a must imo.

As a compromise what I would like to see with MKX is a rule along the lines of: if the loser wants to change character they can do so, and the winner is locked into their character. However, the winner always has the choice of switching variations AND always has the choice of using the hidden cursor. The loser can try to counter-pick the character but they'll still need to know all variations of the MU in depth and play variation-chicken with the winner.
This would be by far the best tournament standard for picking characters ever.

SirRaven

Teleport tickle fail
If you have 3 styles covering every MU,then you don't have to pick a different character you just need to choose a different style.
Exactly...I don't know what all the fuss is about. This basically just allows people to avoid choosing a new character as a counter pick and instead just change style for the same effect.

I do think it would be a lot more fun and higher level play if you could switch styles mid-match at the expense of bar.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I do see what you mean though about making it roles by character--hopefully they make it so that the variations are pretty close together...what I mean is that if a character is a zoner, do not have a rushdown variation. Make each variation a little different but not too far apart. I don't know, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
This is what I forgot to touch on in my earlier post. Like every fighting game ever, some characters are better than others. In this game, other than the usual deciding factors that make up quality of the character, I can see this being a main point in both maining a character as well as how well they do against the cast.

For example, Raiden has variations that play completely different from each, looking like two separate characters, while Torr/Ferra and D'Vorah look like adjustments of their style already in play. Raiden would seem to be much more equipped to handle all situations and characters than those two are.

Belial

Noob
If you have 3 styles covering every MU,then you don't have to pick a different character you just need to choose a different style.
No, actually you DO have to pick different character. B/c its done at character select screen. This is not "style" this is a clone character with different special moves and different gameplay. Somehow most people fail to realize that.

Pyronn

Noob
Exactly...I don't know what all the fuss is about. This basically just allows people to avoid choosing a new character as a counter pick and instead just change style for the same effect.

I do think it would be a lot more fun and higher level play if you could switch styles mid-match at the expense of bar.
Ultimately this allows people to pick and stick with a particular character longer & "enjoy" that character. Picking up a second character just b/c of MU numbers is common, but makes people lose interest over time. Look at the people who are loyal to mid / lower tier - they will have more fun now :joker:

Hopefully most of the characters get such tools in all three styles that allows such based on zoning and etc.,...

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
What I think is that it's a ballsy decision, it has a pretty big chance of being a mess, but it's ballsy and I want to see what will come out of it. And it's MK, who cares about balance #...

cyke_out

Noob
No, actually you DO have to pick different character. B/c its done at character select screen. This is not "style" this is a clone character with different special moves and different gameplay. Somehow most people fail to realize that.
It's no where close to being a completely different character. Each variation shares strings and normals and walk speed and jump arc and even some universal specials. All variations does is adds two or three unique special moves or a slight altering of a few key strings. And yes, it does alter how a character functions but it's not as big of a jump to a whole new character.

And besides, even if variations makes things so different, who cares? So switching variation is the same as switching characters, it's not a big deal. Counter picking happens in fighting games, especially 2d fighters where characters have more defined roles. It's part if the game.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
May I ask how are you certain of this when the game isn't even out yet?

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
I don't know how to feel about these variations. I was hoping for styles like in 3D MK games.

Belial

Noob
It's no where close to being a completely different character. Each variation shares strings and normals and walk speed and jump arc and even some universal specials. All variations does is adds two or three unique special moves or a slight altering of a few key strings. And yes, it does alter how a character functions but it's not as big of a jump to a whole new character.

And besides, even if variations makes things so different, who cares? So switching variation is the same as switching characters, it's not a big deal. Counter picking happens in fighting games, especially 2d fighters where characters have more defined roles. It's part if the game.
May I ask how are you certain of this when the game isn't even out yet?
Well b/c this is done at CHARACTER SELECT SCREEN.
This is changing character, thats it, no arguing about it. WTF, how can you deny the obvious.
Even if character shares 99% of moves with the other it is still different character as long as they're no identical in everything. If they all were named differently and looked differently there would be a shitstorm "WTF NRS trying to sell us army of clones" but "styles" are perfectly accepted and loved. Unbelievable.

As far as NRS games (as well as other FGs) go they are defined by special moves, it is not very hard to learn superman f23 or lanterns b13 or Kabals f23 etc, most chars have 1 or 2 usable stings its special that make them. Specials affect combos (you can already see it in Raiden reveal) so its not a matter of "not having to learn new combos" etc. Even though IMO anyone unable to learn character in NRS game should be considered mentally challenged b/c they are so easy.
In SF there are tons of similiar characters like Ruy, Evil Ruy or Akuma. Would be a good example of "variation". These characters although sharing 90% or moves still are played completely different b/c of "two or three unique specials"

The rest of your points already been adressed by me.