What's new

MKAK: first impressions

I've only tinkered around with umk3 on the ps3 release.

The Good:
-Mileena, Ermac, Classic Sub unlocked for online play
-Stage level changes! (no more Scorpion's Lair on repeat)
-Interesting ranking system

The Bad:
-Laggy as hell, but it's launch day, that is expected
-Can't input combat codes (yet?)
-Lobby can only support 2 players. Hope they change this
-Can't change screen size. But looks good on 46' LED

MKAK: first impressions (ps3)

JOHNNY ERMAC said:
I've only tinkered around with umk3 on the ps3 release.

The Good:
-Mileena, Ermac, Classic Sub unlocked for online play
-Stage level changes! (no more Scorpion's Lair on repeat)
-Interesting ranking system

The Bad:
-Laggy as hell, but it's launch day, that is expected
-Can't input combat codes (yet?)
-Lobby can only support 2 players. Hope they change this
-Can't change screen size. But looks good on 46' LED
you forgot the paint job in MKAK lmao. That shit is some photoshop shit. Haha There faces get all smudged. Its either pixelated or smudged. Choose your settings. HD my ass. xD

jesse89202 said:
you forgot the paint job in MKAK lmao. That shit is some photoshop shit. Haha There faces get all smudged. Its either pixelated or smudged. Choose your settings. HD my ass. xD
This release isn't supposed to be true-HD. I agree with you that those graphics filters are absolutely garbage.

Tim Static

Adminerator

The arcade filter on cabinet screen is godlike. just how its like on a cab. to a T.

i just played around 8 ranked matches of mk2 and now I'm in the top 5 on the leader boards. lol. pretty disappointed to be honest. gameplay is really shotty. graphics blow. sound sucks hard. and in ranked matches there is no option to rematch??? wtf?? i figured theres no way it couldn't be better than the mk2 that was already out on ps3 and I'm not so sure.

This game keeps freezing my ps3 up, umk3 mainly. Mk2 is garbage , lag, and even the physics of the game seem different from the other ps3 version. The sound is terrible, the announcer says shang tsungs name wrong wtf? Random select doesn't work for p2 in mk2. This is the sped up version of mk2 not rev 3 .

It looks a little silly but I like the sound-it reminds me more of the arcade than the ps3's orig version

Lag issues will be fixed, I have no doubt.

I hope they will update the leaderboards to include data like wins-losses like xbl does.

Tim Static said:
The arcade filter on cabinet screen is godlike. just how its like on a cab. to a T.
Oh yeah, I actually like the scanlines, so that filter is good. All the other ones like "paint" and "smooth" are ughh..

Beside the novelty factor, is there any purpose to the look of the "cabinet" mode? I've seen this mode in recently downloaded SF3 as well.

btbb99

Noob

the lag absolutely needs to be fixed because it is unplayable and disgraceful, shao kanhs voice sounds kinda corny imo and i dont care if thats how he sounds in the arcade, he sounds way better on the original psn mk2, i even think the lag is soo bad its effecting the way the game sounds im not sure,, i'm EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED that there is no spectator mode or room where more then 2 players can be in, heck even street fighter third strike has that SMFH.. i was really looking forward to hooking up with atleast 2 other players and playing because as kailerra showed me that can be a ton of fun,, as of now this game is dogshit

NoDoubt

nasty

btbb99 said:
the lag absolutely needs to be fixed because it is unplayable and disgraceful, shao kanhs voice sounds kinda corny imo and i dont care if thats how he sounds in the arcade, he sounds way better on the original psn mk2, i even think the lag is soo bad its effecting the way the game sounds im not sure,, i'm EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED that there is no spectator mode or room where more then 2 players can be in, heck even street fighter third strike has that SMFH.. i was really looking forward to hooking up with atleast 2 other players and playing because as kailerra showed me that can be a ton of fun,, as of now this game is dogshit

I think kaillera/Mame will definately remain the best way to play these games. Unfortunately people are sorta stupid so many refuse to set it up properly or know how, so it wont ever have as many players as these half-assed NR studio creations that are tested and advertised by idiots who just want quick cash.

Regardless if this AK gets patched and the online plays nicely, the features are a bit atrocious and not being able to do combat codes during play, or have 4 players in a room is complete garbage.

I wish for once MK released something where we dont go "wtf..."

btbb99

Noob

ten-peace-show said:
So btbb, would you suggest I wait to get this for psn?
NoDoubtArion said:
I think kaillera/Mame will definately remain the best way to play these games. Unfortunately people are sorta stupid so many refuse to set it up properly or know how, so it wont ever have as many players as these half-assed NR studio creations that are tested and advertised by idiots who just want quick cash.

Regardless if this AK gets patched and the online plays nicely, the features are a bit atrocious and not being able to do combat codes during play, or have 4 players in a room is complete garbage.

I wish for once MK released something where we dont go "wtf..."
yeah tell me about it dude
ten-peace-show said:
So btbb, would you suggest I wait to get this for psn?
it's only ten bucks but yes i would wait and see if they fix this unplayable lag

iammud

Noob

Did they bother to include a button config for this one?

edit - just downloaded and got it going, button config is added.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

Pretty much everything you said is true.

On the plus side, everyone playing ranked games sucks right now. Jump in and get your ranking up now while it's easy, lol

I just downloaded and played the MK Arcade Kollection for myself, and to be honest I was a little disappointed. I feel that the best thing that I can do is write up a list of pro's and con's...

Pro's
1) You can play MK's 1 through 3.
2) It will bring more players onto the MK scene, instead of the typical lobby MK2 player.
3) You can Mic-chat in online matches.

Con's
1) In a unanimous decision, lagg prevails. I'm hoping Netherealm Studios correct's this soon.
2) Ranked match's end after just one match, forcing players to go back into the lobby and create a new one.
3) When players quit during, or just after a ranked online match, it does not count as a loss to them, or does it increase your rank. This is a horrible error by Netherealm, and god know's they know about horrible error's...
4) No Spectator Mode... In MK9 you have "King of the Hill", well, how come wasn't this concept added into the MK Arcade Kollection. It would have brought back in some small way the ARCADE feel of Mortal Kombat we have all loved. Hey, on Kaillera MK you can spectate, why can't you on the MK Arcade Kollection?

isamu

Noob

After playing this fucking ABOMINATION, I can't help but feel compelled to post a link to the following thread, in hopes that you guys will read it and understand that MAME Hub is still the absolute best way to experience the MK games and play them online with no lag.

http://classicmk.com/index.php?topic=1648.0

AC1984

Kaballin!

The online is a joke, just played like 6 ranked matches and almost fainted from the lag and blinks....horrible....Also you dont get points from rage quitters....I ran into a couple of them.

btbb99

Noob

so after playing this dogshit a little more i realize its more of a joke then i first thought, almost everytime i won a ranked match the other guy would immediately quit so his points dont down and mine dont go up,, ed boons retarded ass has alot of fixing to do and i dont think that numbskull is capable

AC1984

Kaballin!

However those games run very well offline with the arcade filter....

VA380

Noob

The fact you can't rematch a ranked game is good, prevents scrubs from boosting they rank up.

* Lag is unbearable
* Sound is shitty
* Rage quitters don't get penalized for quitting at the end

COMBOTIME AND GINGERMAGIC, ya'll pussies both on blast for that bullshit. Take ur L cuzzos!

AC1984 said:
The online is a joke, just played like 6 ranked matches and almost fainted from the lag and blinks....horrible....Also you dont get points from rage quitters....I ran into a couple of them.
Thank You!!! I faced two guys tonight in ranked matches, when I won each match, they quit and I didn't receive my rank points, and my oponent's did not receive a loss. WTF is up with that! You would think that the people at Netherealm Studios have created a penalty for quitter's, and they didn't.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

VA380 said:
The fact you can't rematch a ranked game is good, prevents scrubs from boosting they rank up.

* Lag is unbearable
* Sound is shitty
* Rage quitters don't get penalized for quitting at the end

COMBOTIME AND GINGERMAGIC, ya'll pussies both on blast for that bullshit. Take ur L cuzzos!
You nailed it VA. BTW, vggs tonight. If not for that reverse roll, you woulda won that last game :)

After one night of play, I ranked my way up to 3rd on the leaderboards. Take that for what you will, I know it's not much given the lag. The only two people above me are jussef and ComboKing (pretty sure that's bucktown1)