What's new

MK9 vs MK10 gameplay mechanics: what they should keep, change, take out etc.

RoGE

Noob
This is sort of like the wishlist but more focused on the gameplay mechanics of MK9 and what you liked or hated about them. This way, if NRS decides to read threads like these, it'll be easier on them. I am going to make a list of things they should keep, change and get rid of. (imo)

Keep
-The meter management: best meter in any fighting game period, it makes the game more consistent it seems with the way breakers work
-X-ray attacks: They are perfect the way they are in this game, not an annoying inconsistent comeback mechanic that hurts a good player but something a player can use without worrying about a breaker. And easy enough for a casual player to enjoy
-Tag team and tag team online: Good for casual players to screw around.
-DLC characters should carry over to the next MK fighting game

Change:
-Button Config: There should be a way to change your buttons at the character select screen
-Training Mode: Waaaaay too many things to list here, but I think the most important thing is options, you should be able to record something your opponent does so you can practice against it. Also it needs to save the changes you do to it.
-Option screen should give you you the ability to turn off the blood, turn on tournament mode etc. Basically, give us options to turn on and off kombat codes without actually using them at the vs screen.
-HITBOXES having 3d hitboxes in a 2d playing field just doesn't work out.
-Online play netcode is very very bad
Take out:
-Toasty boost: I don't think this has happened in a tournament yet (thank goodness) but its a mechanic that can make the game more random so take it out.
-Random shaking and other distractions on stages that may make a player lose concentration. (kratos stage sucks)
-Console exclusive characters (unless its on a portable system because fighting game tournaments don't use portable systems)

Yes, there should be some sort of indicator, probably like a mark on the wall of a background, or something.

Past

Noob
Fix the wakeup system please. It is absolutely ridiculous that tech rolling is invincible and your character's ability to get out of wakeup pressure is completely dependent on your special moves. MK needs to have dedicated moves with invincibility that will always be unsafe.

Add a footsie game: In MK, if you whiff a poke, you can get punished from full screen. From mid range, you are going to eat or block a jip from your opponent. By allowing players to combo off of their pokes and reducing its recovery, it stops players from mindlessly jumping around, fishing for jip and actually respect the poke.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Keep everything the way it is, but remove the input bug, negative edge, and upgrade the netkode. Also wake up attacks need to be more persistent, meaning it shouldn't be so easy to stuff them.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Fix the wakeup system please. It is absolutely ridiculous that tech rolling is invincible and your character's ability to get out of wakeup pressure is completely dependent on your special moves. MK needs to have dedicated moves with invincibility that will always be unsafe.

Add a footsie game: In MK, if you whiff a poke, you can get punished from full screen. From mid range, you are going to eat or block a jip from your opponent. By allowing players to combo off of their pokes and reducing its recovery, it stops players from mindlessly jumping around, fishing for jip and actually respect the poke.
This, definitely.

Console exclusive characters probably won't change because it's a selling point. In general I think they just need to test the game way more thoroughly instead of bogging players down with excessive patching, which still can't fix every problem.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

this isn't SF. I really enjoy the fact that people don't rapid fire d1's. I like that you have to time your AA. whether it is a standing 1, d1, or d4. I wish they had a trade system... so that Air - to - air wasn't such a crap shoot.

Wakeup system is fine. Most of the attacks that are considered wakeup attacks aren't safe on block unless it is an EX version. It was even dumber that Lui Kang could just constantly run up on me and b3,1,2 on my wakeup attack. The point of the wakeup attack was to keep stuff like that from happening.... and it consistently failed. Now it doesn't.

aj1701

Noob
Why so that some characters can get out for free for 1 meter? I thought in fighting games you are supposed to have the advantage when you knock your opponent down?
Makes comebacks a bit easier. There's thinking in the game, instead of "first one to knock down wins." My opponent having meter means I actually have to think and can't just mindlessly pressure.

Past

Noob
Makes comebacks a bit easier. There's thinking in the game, instead of "first one to knock down wins." My opponent having meter means I actually have to think and can't just mindlessly pressure.
You can't mindlessly pressure because some characters can get out no matter what you do. Where is the thought in that?

aj1701

Noob
You can't mindlessly pressure because some characters can get out no matter what you do. Where is the thought in that?
The wakeup system ensures all characters can get out. The thinking is what to do to neutralize whatever they might try.

Past

Noob
this isn't SF. I really enjoy the fact that people don't rapid fire d1's. I like that you have to time your AA. whether it is a standing 1, d1, or d4. I wish they had a trade system... so that Air - to - air wasn't such a crap shoot.

Wakeup system is fine. Most of the attacks that are considered wakeup attacks aren't safe on block unless it is an EX version. It was even dumber that Lui Kang could just constantly run up on me and b3,1,2 on my wakeup attack. The point of the wakeup attack was to keep stuff like that from happening.... and it consistently failed. Now it doesn't.
What does SF have to do with this? Read my post again. When you whiff a poke at mid range, you either have to block the incoming jip or eat the 35% percent combo. Add in the fact that you can't combo off of them on hit and you have a jump happy game. By slightly reducing the recovery and allowing players to combo off of them, it stops retards from jumping up and down until they get a jip punch, where you are jailed and open for frame traps/mixups.

What's dumb is slapping invincibility on every special move when used on wake up, insuring that the characters with the best special moves, also have the best wakeup attacks as well.

What's even dumber is that you are allowed to block when you are laying on your ass and avoiding 90% percent of your opponent's moves.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
What does SF have to do with this? Read my post again. When you whiff a poke at mid range, you either have to block the incoming jip or eat the 35% percent combo. Add in the fact that you can't combo off of them on hit and you have a jump happy game. By slightly reducing the recovery and allowing players to combo off of them, it stops retards from jumping up and down until they get a jip punch, where you are jailed and open for frame traps/mixups.

What's dumb is slapping invincibility on every special move when used on wake up, insuring that the characters with the best special moves, also have the best wakeup attacks as well.

What's even dumber is that you are allowed to block when you are laying on your ass and avoiding 90% percent of your opponent's moves.
because the ability to combo off of a jab poke is a SF thing. It would also further the rushing down proponent of the game. If JC could combo off of a d1, or d3 on a grounded opponent... some characters would never get away from his frame traps... ever. Tons of fun.

You obviously don't play high level players... because you wouldn't really worry about jumpers. a standing jab or a d1 leads to an Anti-air combo... and some characters encourage.... nay... dare you to jump in on them.

Do you not know how to punish wake up attacks? I mean... 99% of the normal wake up attacks are block punishable. If your opponent wastes a bar to do an exwakeup and you block it... you are in a much better position to win. I think you really need to analyze high level play... not your own.

If we made your changes.... it would encourage using only characters that have close in frame traps and quick jabs... zoners wouldn't stand a chance.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
The only things I would like to change are:

- 3D hitboxes

- Stages where is impossible to play a good game (I really hate when Kratos stage gets randomly selected online)

- Broken stuff, like Cyrax, Smoke, Jax stupid resets

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Needed :

DELAY INPUT MUST BE REMOVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kunglao must have a cap instead of the hat ! :D

A better practice mode (IA could make a move we set up before to practice against) and an online practice mode with 2 players (especially if there is still that delay) !

DLC with Tremor ! Babality ! Brutality ! Friendship (for friends !) ! TAG fatality (NRS said that should probably be in next mk). Hitbox should be totally in 3D (mixed 3D and 2D stuffs wasn't a good idea, now we have bugs) ! Level switching like MK3 (if no lag) ! Motaro boss ! Cyber-ShaoKhan (ok.. nevermind..) !
More gothic music !
Remove online pass ! Make some done sentences for online when we're already ingame (like "be right back", "you good", "good game gotta go" etc...

Keep all the rest ! It rocks !

Past

Noob
Do you not know how to punish wake up attacks? I mean... 99% of the normal wake up attacks are block punishable. If your opponent wastes a bar to do an exwakeup and you block it... you are in a much better position to win. I think you really need to analyze high level play... not your own.
Raiden's EX teleport
Scarlet's EX dash into slide
Jade's EX glow
Sheeva's EX telestomp
Kung Lao's EX teleport
Smoke's EX smoke away
Sector's EX teleport

These can't be punished but you're still missing the point. The wakeup system has problems; the biggest ones being tech rolling being invincible, making it an artificial way of creating space and delayed wakeups giving you both the ability to block and avoid 90% of attacks.

If we made your changes.... it would encourage using only characters that have close in frame traps and quick jabs... zoners wouldn't stand a chance.
This was not my idea. This was a rumored change that NRS was going to make some time ago. They were going to allow players to combo off of their pokes using only fast specials like shadow kick.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Raiden's EX teleport
Jade's EX glow
Sheeva's EX telestomp
Kung Lao's EX teleport
Smoke's EX smoke away
Sector's EX teleport

These can't be punished but you're still missing the point. The wakeup system has problems; the biggest ones being tech rolling being invincible, making it an artificial way of creating space and delayed wakeups giving you both the ability to block and avoid 90% of attacks.

This was not my idea. This was a rumored change that NRS was going to make some time ago. They were going to allow players to combo off of their pokes using only fast specials like shadow kick.
I'm not missing the point at all. You want to change the mechanic of the game that keeps rush down characters from relentlessly pressuring an opponent. That doesn't seem very smart at all. tech rolling nullifies any wakeup attack invincibility... and delayed wake-up stops again stops rush down characters from just taking over a match after they knock you down.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Having your wakeup defense be heavily dependent on your special moves is something that exists in basically every 2D fighter. Also, the idea of a universal WUA invincibility window is really unique, and probably one of the best mechanics inside MK9. It adds a lot of depth to the wakeup game because you sometimes have to find ways to cover not just 1 wakeup attack, and forces you to make good reads and play smart.

Footsies exist in MK9 for sure. I sure as hell don't play Baraka trying to get in, but rather play a poking game and force whiff punishes, which I do have success with. ATL_REDD plays Smoke with straight up footsies. So on and so forth.

punish

Raiden's EX teleport
Jade's EX glow
Sheeva's EX telestomp
Kung Lao's EX teleport
Smoke's EX smoke away
Sector's EX teleport

Some of those moves dont make sense, spending a meter to escape is something painful to do. they should indeed improve the wakeupsystem as it is right now. The 4 frames did not help teleport characters getting stuffed at all, but did buff some other characters that didnt need it.

wakeup system is supposed to be a guess situation, somebody pressuring with low attacks on wakeups mindlesely is not smart at all and its not a good gameplay system.

What I dont like is that some characters succesfully wakeup attack with one succesful hit while other characters can wakeup for full combo. Examples: kabal, kitana, kung lao. they should make all meterless wakup attacks one hit. and spend one meter to land a combo after a succesful wakeup attack.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Stance Change should be dropped in favor of Draw Weapon, i.e. I want Raiden to have dat hammer from MK4.