What's new

Guide MK9 Top 10 of all time

I'd swap REO and PL aside from that the list is pretty good. My reasons for swapping the two is I've only seen them play each other twice in tournament once was in 2011 when PL won and the most recent was this past weekends Evo when REO won. My logic here is that in 2011 the level of play did not come close to what we have now in 2013 (Just watch the top 8, you'll see what I'm talking about) and now that the game has matured and played almost entirely at a high level Reo took a 2-0 victory. The resume of victories gish listed above is also quite impressive and favors Reo, though I think that's probably in part to the fact that PL didn't travel much.

A bit long winded with the reasoning but I don't want to be accused of hating on PL or dickriding Reo. In the end they are both at the very top.

coolwhip

Noob
In before "EVO is just another tournament."

Also, in before Menoutis (who I think what hurts him is his lack of top 8 finishes at EVO, and the fact that he didn't participate at MLG's).

I love this thread and so should everyone else.

coolwhip

Noob
I'd swap REO and PL aside from that the list is pretty good. My reasons for swapping the two is I've only seen them play each other twice in tournament once was in 2011 when PL won and the most recent was this past weekends Evo when REO won. My logic here is that in 2011 the level of play did not come close to what we have now in 2013 (Just watch the top 8, you'll see what I'm talking about) and now that the game has matured and played almost entirely at a high level Reo took a 2-0 victory. The resume of victories gish listed above is also quite impressive and favors Reo, though I think that's probably in part to the fact that PL didn't travel much.

A bit long winded with the reasoning but I don't want to be accused of hating on PL or dickriding Reo. In the end they are both at the very top.

They played at last year's EVO too. PL also won. Here's the video:

I think it's quite fitting that they faced each other in each of the three EVO's, especially since they don't play against one another all year long.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
REO is #1, no one else's record even comes close. Most consistent and talented MK player, and won almost everything he entered after a certain point. Universally the most feared player in the game and has defeated more top players than anyone else.

Longest winning streak, most tournaments won, highest win percentage.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I'd like to make an argument for forever king

2 Evo medals
UFGT 2013 2nd place
Top 8 power up 2012
WB top 8

I'd give him the 10th spot

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Definite Bias. You do the top like 8 of the list without listing major tournaments, and then when it hits you and dizzy you list them.

If you are going to count Majors I am sure Tom has more than enough top 8's to be considered.

I don't understand what this first part means. I list everyone's EVO/MLG placings and then the their most notable wins. How are me and Dizzy different?

Tom never placed at an EVO or MLG. He won PowerUp in 2011 and placed at CEO 2011, Devastation 2011, Season's Beatings 2011, PowerUp 2012 and NEC 2012. That is a good resume but not enough to be in contention for this list. Tom will go down as probably the best player to use a mid tier character though.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I don't understand what this first part means. I list everyone's EVO/MLG placings and then the their most notable wins. How are me and Dizzy different?

Tom never placed at an EVO or MLG. He won PowerUp in 2011 and placed at CEO 2011, Devastation 2011, Season's Beatings 2011, PowerUp 2012 and NEC 2012. That is a good resume but not enough to be in contention for this list. Tom will go down as probably the best player to use a mid tier character though.

Because you don't list Guys like REo's tournament placings at majors, but list your own to inflate.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
They played at last year's EVO too. PL also won. Here's the video:

I think it's quite fitting that they faced each other in each of the three EVO's, especially since they don't play against one another all year long.
The amount of people that try to pretend this never happened and/or it was just a KL mirror is hilarious.

In each set they played, PL beat REO, and REO beat PL. Human footsies and human mistakes. Nothing to do with the characters.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Because you don't list Guys like REo's tournament placings at majors, but list your own to inflate.

I said in the post the resumes are not complete. I listed everyone's EVO/MLG placings and their most notable wins. For guys like REO, Carl and CD Jr their most notable wins are MLG or EVO level and they're listed. For guys like myself, Tyrant and Dizzy they're SCR or UFGT level tournaments. Which while great wins are obviously are not as as prestegious as winning an MLG, hence us being at the lower end of the list. This is biased? Who should be in the top 10 instead of us?

STRYKIE

Also for clarity's sake, I see a lot of cherry picking from both sides as to what majors are. I guess we should put Forever King at #1 and masquerade his 20,000 Console Combat wins as majors.

I will say this however, it's up for debate if REO is the best MK9 player per se, but it's hard to argue that he's the greatest pure MK player across all NRS/Midway games of all time. Nobody has been a top player in all of them. People seem to get that confused.

If FOREVER KING was able to make it out to more tournaments he would absolutely be on this list.
This case can also be made for a lot of West Coast guys, especially DJT and MIT.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Yeah, and? The overall record is still 2-2 (if you count REO resetting against PL in the 2011 grand finals)
Well I guess there is always VXG to settle it once and for all. But by looking at the CrimsonShadow post, REO is the best.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I might have to go w Reo on this one

2 time MLg champ, 2 Evo medals vs 2 time Evo champ and 1 top 8 MLG ...?

It's sorta a tie

Matix218

Get over here!
I would say forever king should take dizzy's place. Not to take ANYTHING away from Dizzy but I think kings resume is slightly more complete than Dizzy's

Either way the list is essentially spot on with the possible king/dizzy switch.

All of these guys are awesome though and have proven themselves

STRYKIE

Well I guess there is always VXG to settle it once and for all. But by looking at the CrimsonShadow post, REO is the best.
CrimsonShadow also said Maxter was better than PL for making various winners finals at East Coast locals (the funny thing is IIRC he did actually win FV2012 with Sektor). Think about that for a minute, lol.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Also for clarity's sake, I see a lot of cherry picking from both sides as to what majors are. I guess we should put Forever King at #1 and masquerade his 20,000 Console Combat wins as majors.

I will say this however, it's up for debate if REO is the best MK9 player per se, but it's hard to argue that he's the greatest pure MK player across all NRS/Midway games of all time. Nobody has been a top player in all of them. People seem to get that confused.

This case can also be made for a lot of West Coast guys, especially DJT and MIT.
DJT is on the list lol