What's new

MK9 Side Tournament GF Viewership trounces all other FG's (And how MKX COULD be the biggest FG ever)

Well, I don't remember their names but I remember reading posts about how NRS stop patching MK because WB and about how Freddy was a DLC because WB command NRS to do so but I think that's just people speculation, not the reality.
i think the patching thing might be true, but still the relation seems mostly healthy for NRS. they get a lot of money and freedom and pay back with quality.

Mst

Noob
Well, I don't remember their names but I remember reading posts about how NRS stop patching MK because WB and about how Freddy was a DLC because WB command NRS to do so but I think that's just people speculation, not the reality.
I dont think its wrong to cross promote games/franchise and its not like WB is the only Company doing that, Valve, Blizzard, EA and properly more did that in some fashion in the past as well. As long as it doesn't end up with 10 WB Characters as DLC instead of MK Characters i dont so that big of a problem. It might get some ppl to buy the Game because their are a fan of that specific Character and they might end up becoming a huge MK fan. Or someone who is a MK fan might become a fan of that specific Character and might end up buying games of this Characters franchise.

With the Patch problem WB most likely didnt want to invest more money into a game which dosent generate any kind of new money for them. Another Reason why a SF4 Style Update System would be good because they would make money everytime a new version gets released + potential Costume Packs.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
i think the patching thing might be true, but still the relation seems mostly healthy for NRS. they get a lot of money and freedom and pay back with quality.
See, I don't get why you think WB is to blame for the patching thing, it could be NRS that decide to keep their team to work for IGAU, or NRS thought there wouldn't be enough profits to take that route. Btw, I remember reading about how WB was responsible of Superman getting like a thousand of costumes and Sinestro only an alt, I think they also think that Black Adam exclusive costume for PS4 was WB fault and not NRS, but oh well I guess we won't know.

Good to hear but these people have to show up offline. Which most people don't really have the incentive to do.

I always feel that the accessibility of NRS games caters to people who only play and want to show "skills" online.

It'll be the biggest online game IMO. And considering NRS is doing something that no one has ever done with their net play the incentive to travel is going to be less, unless you really just love the game and want to play for real.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
With the Patch problem WB most likely didnt want to invest more money into a game which dosent generate any kind of new money for them.
I don't want to derail this thread so this is my last post. You say WB most likely, but that is just based on speculation, it could be NRS that manage its own budget and make decisions on it, obviosly the money is for WB but BRS could be the ones that manage it.

Mst

Noob
Yeah just saying this was most likely WBs standpoint to more patches. At the end even if WB was fine with more patches but NRS did not wanted to do more it was their call. And we can only speculate about what happend.

But if that was WBs standpoint i can definitely understand it. Most games which get support over a huge amount of time have a business model which generates money over time. Be it like SC2 which was developed in mind that there will be 2 additional addons or LoL/Dota2 with a F2P model which also only generates money with a active and big community.

Last edited:
See, I don't get why you think WB is to blame for the patching thing, it could be NRS that decide to keep their team to work for IGAU, or NRS thought there wouldn't be enough profits to take that route.
thinking "investing resources into patching a game that has passed its peak in sales long ago might not pay off in relation to the investment" seems more like publisher than developer thinking to me but in fact i dont know.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
Am not sure on the live numbers, but quite a few people saw the replays on IGN.
Most of them only played it casually, a lot of them seemed pretty excited about it.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
So MK 9=most viewed on streams? Check.

Highest selling fighting game or at least second(Smash Bro Melee may have highest not sure on that) but MK has to be up there. (more then Tekken and SF for sure) Check.

Best storyline and coolest characters in any fighter? Check.

Not afraid to get their hands dirty? Check.

The one fighting game that has tons of successful outside media from comics, side games, TV shows, movies and web series? Check.

:)

This is great news, personally as someone myself who would love to go to tournaments and tight budget I think one thing MK X needs to do and the offline guys too if they can, is promote more tourneys in perhaps more widespread areas. While I live in NYC, it's not that easy for me to go to Philly or Florida or L.I. there needs to be something with more tourneys in the Brooklyn, Staten Island area seriously. I mean I always see NJ, L.I. and Philly events so I really don't think this is asking for much. Just my honest opinion, I know about Next Level but they killed MK after what? Like one or two events? lol. At any rate, that's just my opinion as a competitive player and someone who has always loved MK since the first game through now(even the less fortunate or mocked MK games) I have always supported. Pretty much while all the bigger events are great, I can't afford nor make those however if there's more LOCAL events closer to everyone I think that can help the game grow in general. I even know two places where I live (think of it a combination of Gamestop and Next Level kind of joint) who would host them but I'd have to have support and a good amount of people interested since I called them up and this is what they told me. But I do hope Next Level supports MK X way longer than MK 9...

On a sidenote, I like this Claude guy he seems cool.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
"Top players" who didnt win, have their dicussion with tourney officials in a back back room be like...

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Pulling in a big crowd is a double edged sword though. With how TYM is now, especially during the early phases of the NRS cycle, imagine all the facepalming the veterans will be doing with a bigger loudmouth scrub crowd.

I know I'm being pessimistic but it's inevitable and it's why I wouldn't agree with something like NRS advertising TYM. It will only make them look bad.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The OP is super misleading. Mk9 had more archive views, not viewers during the actual GF.

That being said, it was really cool seeing the community come together like that, props.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
As most of you know we held a MK9 side tournament at EVO last minute because EVO felt like it wasn't worth a fourth year. @AK Pig Of The Hut of the hut and myself quickly did our best, put together a side tournament with a 2800$ pot and 80 entrants. The entire event was streamed and seemed to go well. We also did our best to make the community happy by running 3/5 with 4/7 GF and streaming every pool. This was in a way, us giving back to the game and community which really brought us all together and brought us so many great moments and hype.
And the people who donated to the pot bonus seemed to feel the same way. (Thank you so much, again!)

Looking at the IGN Evo grand finals here are the numbers of viewers..

1. Mortal Kombat 9 250k
2. Street Fighter 150k
3. Smash bros 110k
4. Injustice 100k
5. Marvel 90k
6. Killer instinct 90k
7. KOF 80k
8. BlazBlue 55k
9. Tekken 70k
10. Skull girls 50k

We already know that Mortal Kombat out sells every other fighting game and it seems that even after 4 years there is high interest in watching MK tournament play. Much higher than any other fighting game. With MKX coming out we have the potential as a community to really make this the biggest FG ever.

Personally I hope that NRS can incorporate the offline scene in MKX. Maybe in there "messages of the day" or something they could promote offline events, at least the big ones. I think the main problem is most people who bought the game don't even know this community exists. Imagine if we could pull in a small percentage of those people for MKX. A small percentage of lets say 5 million would make MKX the biggest FG ever. Personally I would LOVE to see this! @colt
This is the most positive and hopeful post ever made on TYM. I'm cautiously optimistic that MKX could be the catalyst this community needs to finally break through to the mainstream of competitive gaming. To the future, gents.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
That's an excellent idea. I think Pig would be brilliant as well, but it'd be a lot of work for one person. It would be good to have a group of people, maybe covering a few characters each and someone else doing general mechanics and strategies.
I think a solid group dividing where each takes on 4 characters would make sense

ill keep it in mind

JDM

Noob
Oh this is archive footage. I was about to say, Marvel had like 160k+ when it was live for EVO.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
I think MKX has the potential to be the biggest fighting game in yrs.

LBSH besides the Anime games that are getting bigger and bigger and KI (which will pick up after season 2 after this holiday IMO) & ultra street fighter IV is probably the last street fighter till 5 (maybe 1 balance patch)

Marvel Vs Capcom is on its last legs. Besides Justin @EVO we see the same characters almost every top 8. Its no difference then the people who said every tournament for MK9 was kabal. I won't even get started IMO of how broken Marvel is. One wrong read and your FUCKED. Talk about broken. I cant front i do enjoy playing casually but I will never take it serious. Um thats another story :p

MKX will drop at a time where it may be the newest fighting game on the block for like a yr or more unless Tekken 6 drops next yr.

MKX is being released on all current consoles and xbone & ps4 (sorry wii/wiiu guys) which will maximize IMO the user base. Shit is even dropping on PC on launch which is a good thing.

I also feel the experience NRS has got from making MK9 & Injustice will only approve how MKX is.

I hope MKX can take the current FGC throne for next yr but IMO it won't. To many people have some unatural hate for anything Mortal Kombat sadly. I think MKX can & should be the top game fighting game next yr and again IMO the stars are aligned for this!

I am also greatfull for both @AK Pig Of The Hut & @G4S Claude VonStroke for organizing this last minute side tourney that IMO was one of the best tournaments for evo. Also I am hyped that i see how many people watched it on youtube and the general hype (IGN you guys are now hollywood). I even have some friends that watched it and thanks to @SonicFox5000 actually want to play now again because they didn't see Cyrax or Kabal owning everyone. I honestly don't care whos played top 8 i love MK9 :p

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
@colt @hecterrific
Are you seeing this?! The idea purposed in the OP has worked for other games like doa. Having messages on fgc in mkx would be suuuuuuuuch a great idea. Mortal Kombat is the Call of Duty of fighting games! The casuals just eat it up!

If the online is smooth and this idea is proposed this could be a milestone not only for MK but for the Fgc! This could be the next biggest fgc boom since 2009 SF4 release.

Those ign viewer numbers don't lie. This is very telling information. Non-fgc people like MK and like seeing it played competitively.