What's new

MK9 Side Tournament GF Viewership trounces all other FG's (And how MKX COULD be the biggest FG ever)

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Personally I hope that NRS can incorporate the offline scene in MKX. Maybe in there "messages of the day" or something they could promote offline events, at least the big ones. I think the main problem is most people who bought the game don't even know this community exists.
I agree with this, that is a great idea. I don't think the responsibility lies entirely with NRS though. For years I used to watch tournaments, back in the MK9 days, and used to visit this site, as a few tournament players I followed on twitter talked about it, but for years I thought this site was pretty much exclusively for those who were competing in tournaments and I'm sure others must think the same.

There is a certain elitism in this community, with the way people talk about "casuals" for example, I feel that's something that also needs to change by MKX. I'm not saying everyone here is like that at all, but there are a lot of people who are which may put some people off.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
This idea may be way out there but there's a shooting game by Bethesda called Brink which blended online and offline play. I want something like that in MK.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
I agree with this, that is a great idea. I don't think the responsibility lies entirely with NRS though. For years I used to watch tournaments, back in the MK9 days, and used to visit this site, as a few tournament players I followed on twitter talked about it, but for years I thought this site was pretty much exclusively for those who were competing in tournaments and I'm sure others must think the same.

There is a certain elitism in this community, with the way people talk about "casuals" for example, I feel that's something that also needs to change by MKX. I'm not saying everyone here is like that at all, but there are a lot of people who are which may put some people off.
I agree, I think the guys who play at the highest level just get annoyed when online casuals start posting match up charts and arguing with them about stuff.

Mst

Noob
I totally agree with you! I've been saying (to myself) for ages that NRS need to take on Capcom's update model. It would work even better for NRS as well, because where as SF re-releases have a hard time appealing to casuals (after Super), MKX would do fine because it can add more fatalities, other -alities and additional story.

Surely this would make them more money than releasing a brand new game every 2 years, as well.

Also, the first revision could be called MKXR. It's perfect!
Would buy Ultra/Hyper/Super/Arcade/Ultimate/whatever the newest version of the game is called if the game has good support/good online.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I agree, I think the guys who play at the highest level just get annoyed when online casuals start posting match up charts and arguing with them about stuff.
Yeah I completely understand. To be honest I wish any reference to match up numbers was banned and instead only match up strategies were discussed. The numbers are only there for ego boosts in my opinion

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Yeah I completely understand. To be honest I wish any reference to match up numbers was banned and instead only match up strategies were discussed. The numbers are only there for ego boosts in my opinion
Couldn't agree more.

But should they get annoyed? I'm happy for any additional community members, no matter how ignorant to the finer details they might be. Responding with the right attitude will gradually educate them. After all, we were all scrubs to start with.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
An online tournament mode that advertises offline events in a "daily message" fashion would be huge for this community. How many times do you play an online tournament and 80 randoms flood the room because they see the lobby is named "STB Online tourney"?

A healthy online scene which keeps ppl interested in the game for a long time would be good. So ppl can transition from casual players to a more competitive/tournament oriented player even without a local scene.
I hope online is captivating and playable. There is no scene anywhere near me so It would be great to play online

I dont think they would do that because that would favor a specific community site. But they could still put up links and schedules for tournaments. Would kinda like if that would do something like the Capcom Cup with online qualifiers (if the netcode is good enough) especially with the entire Mortal Kombat Tournament background i think that would be great. But will most likely not happen because of WB.
Valve does this with the subreddit for CS:GO

Mst

Noob
Valve does this with the subreddit for CS:GO
Are they advertising/linking the subreddit ingame havent played csgo in forever? Because there was the same discussion for SC2, Dota2 and LoL and Blizzard, Valve and Riot all gave basically the same answer that they dont want to prioritize any community site over another.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
You know what I know how ed boon loves the offline scene if he could advertise these communities he would single handingly make one of the biggest differences

MK9 is braindead, broken, lame, gimmick, not deep as other fighters.
Classic comments. Even in here.
Now, 250k views proved that MK9 is an AMAZING game. The black sheep stole the show...
You people need to stop whining everyday about Kabals and Cyraxes and finally accept the fact that even broken, it's fuckin' Mortal Kombat. All the competition and cries made you forget what a huge impact this game has in our hearts :)

@G4S Claude VonStroke @AK Pig Of The Hut

Super ultra huge props for what you did there. Keep it up

Are they advertising/linking the subreddit ingame havent played csgo in forever? Because there was the same discussion for SC2, Dota2 and LoL and Blizzard, Valve and Riot all gave basically the same answer that they dont want to prioritize any community site over another.
Yeah, they have linked it in the game and in patch notes before. It's one of the larger and more civil communities for CS:GO so I think they have chosen it as their favorite.

What if a community member started a series before or immediately after the launch of the game about walking players through the basics, starting from movement and blocking, and so on? Have the series include tags like "Mortal Kombat, how to play, MKX, Mortal Kombat X how to play, how to play D'Vorah" and so on. The series should teach from the absolute bottom and up from there for every character. It'd be up there on the search results and attract new members. Hopefully a lot of people who don't know what they're doing will hopefully find these videos and hopefully it'll add good numbers to the community.

I'd nominate Pig to do the series, just because when I was starting out with fighting games he was really clear, helpful, funny, and presentable.

Mst

Noob
Yeah, they have linked it in the game and in patch notes before. It's one of the larger and more civil communities for CS:GO so I think they have chosen it as their favorite.
Yeah i know they referred to ppl making suggestions for new features in the patch notes (Valve did that also for TF2 and Dota2) but i didnt know they linked the subreddit directly in the game.

Personally i feel it would still be better to just list the Tournament Streams.. and they could still add the known Community Sites to a list in the official MK forums. If someone looks for other MK Communities/Sites he would find all the information there.

What if a community member started a series before or immediately after the launch of the game about walking players through the basics, starting from movement and blocking, and so on? Have the series include tags like "Mortal Kombat, how to play, MKX, Mortal Kombat X how to play, how to play D'Vorah" and so on. The series should teach from the absolute bottom and up from there for every character. It'd be up there on the search results and attract new members. Hopefully a lot of people who don't know what they're doing will hopefully find these videos and hopefully it'll add good numbers to the community.

I'd nominate Pig to do the series, just because when I was starting out with fighting games he was really clear, helpful, funny, and presentable.
Something like the VesperArcade Guides for MKX would be great i think for new ppl and adding short videos about the basics for each Character.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I dont think they would do that because that would favor a specific community site. But they could still put up links and schedules for tournaments. Would kinda like if that would do something like the Capcom Cup with online qualifiers (if the netcode is good enough) especially with the entire Mortal Kombat Tournament background i think that would be great. But will most likely not happen because of WB.
Why do you think WB wouldn't allow it? I read lot of posts about how WB is the bad guy and NRS is the victim but never read any reason about why they think that.

Mst

Noob
If they would do such a series with either online or offline qualifier + a final, they would have to invest money for prizes (if offline even into a location) and everything else you need and i dont see WB doing that or willing to do i see them rather invest that money into a new game. Even through it has the potential to turn out amazing for them like it did for Riot and Valve with LoL and Dota2. I wouldnt say NRS is the victim i just dont see that as a business move WB is willing to do.

Why do you think WB wouldn't allow it? I read lot of posts about how WB is the bad guy and NRS is the victim but never read any reason about why they think that.
who says that? WB pretty much rescued NRS/Midway and MK. while they for sure will have some "big Company behaviour", this does not look like some EA/Bioware shit, more the opposite.

That's an excellent idea. I think Pig would be brilliant as well, but it'd be a lot of work for one person. It would be good to have a group of people, maybe covering a few characters each and someone else doing general mechanics and strategies.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
who says that? WB pretty much rescued NRS/Midway and MK. while they for sure will have some "big Company behaviour", this does not look like some EA/Bioware shit, more the opposite.
Well, I don't remember their names but I remember reading posts about how NRS stop patching MK because WB and about how Freddy was a DLC because WB command NRS to do so but I think that's just people speculation, not the reality.