What's new

MK9 Most Current Tier List Thread: Updated 9/1/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last thread has been run over with patch after patch after patch and all of the comments in that thread are moot. This thread will hold the most current list and be updated after the next and hopefully final balance patch.

these tier groups are listed in no order...

Tier: S
Kung Lao, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Kabal, Kitana, Cyrax, Reptile

Tier: A
Mileena, Sub-Zero, Kano, Scorpion, Liu Kang, Nightwolf, Sektor, Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain, Smoke, Shang Tsung, Sonya

Tier: B
Cyber Sub-Zero, Ermac, Noob, Jade, Jax

Tier: C
Quan Chi, Baraka

Tier: D
Sindel, Stryker, Sheeva

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I pretty much agree with everything on here. Kind of surprised that CSZ is tier B when he is talked up to be an A or higher tier character. I wonder how the next patch will affect things, heard Jade is supposed to get a a good buff or something and I hope it gets released soon.

More characters in S and A tier than the rest of the tier positions (B, C, D). You certainly don't see that in most other fighting games.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
S tier means overpowered and broken. No char in this game meets those qualifications. A tier and below, this game can't have S tier with so many different chars in tournaments, its just not possible

lol tom you got jade and tier b and c makeup your mind

i see sonya moving up in the tier list as well as skarlet

The last thread has been run over with patch after patch after patch and all of the comments in that thread are moot. This thread will hold the most current list and be updated after the next and hopefully final balance patch.

these tier groups are listed in no order...

Tier: S
Kung Lao, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Kabal, Kitana, Cyrax, Reptile

Tier: A
Mileena, Sub-Zero, Kano, Scorpion, Liu Kang, Nightwolf, Sektor, Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain, Smoke, Shang Tsung

Tier: B
Cyber Sub-Zero, Ermac, Noob, Sonya, Jade, Jax

Tier: C
Jade, Quan Chi, Baraka

Tier: D
Sindel, Stryker, Sheeva

Best and most accurate list thus far. I was upset with other lists because scorpion and mileena were ridiculously low.

S tier means overpowered and broken. No char in this game meets those qualifications. A tier and below, this game can't have S tier with so many different chars in tournaments, its just not possible
s tier stand for super tier but i do agree with you no character in this game is a s tier character and we should not have a s tier

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
You're getting hung up on semantics. He's broken the roster up into five separate tiers. It doesn't really matter what they're called.

Jade's there twice

I got ninja'd :congrats:

Thanks for the list, things always get switched around but Sheeva and Stryker always remain the worst lol

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
think list pretty much hits nail on the head, baraka no longer s%*" tier, yeay! nice work tom

For all I care, he could have P tier, Z tier, U tier, O tier or Gwakalama tier. It just shows advantages of characters.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
I think this list is very accurate however i still believe NW to be up there with KL and Raiden especially if Cyrax is.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Hey Tom, could you explain CSZ's placement? I remember you putting him as S-tier before.

Otherwise, I do think this is a pretty accurate list. The only thing I have a gripe with is Kitana in S-tier. She's A-tier for sure, but I really think those who know matchups vs the upper tiers have an easier time against her than other chars. IMO, it's the simple fact that her 2 starters are 17 and 18 frame attacks, so against most good players she needs a JIP or ex fan setup when not punishing a blocked teleport or w/e. You can argue the fact that she's 4th in the matchup chart, but there has been legitimate disagreement in many of her matchups. I mean, I love Konqrr, but I do feel his Kitana chart is a bit biased. You also have to factor in the big negative matchup (possibly 7-3) against Kenshi that I don't think was updated.

Another thing: I can't say this enough. Sonya will be put in A tier very soon.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Nori said:
The letters are arbitrary. The characters listed under S tier are the most frequent and successful characters as seen in tournaments.

Ether

Noob
Yeeeeaaah, I really should have dedicated myself to Cage or Kitana instead of deciding to go all CSZ for EVO, hoping to gimmick people out.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
In my opinion a Tier list for this game should only consist of 3 branches.

- Characters that do well against the whole cast.

- Characters that can be competitive but have bad match ups

- Characters that struggle with a majority of the cast

I say this because there is not much in this game that differentiates one character from another. You learn one character in this game at a high level and you can easily move on to another character and become great within a couple of days just because you understand the fundamentals of this game now.

I have have some disagreements with some of the characters that made S-Tier but I understand why Tom put them up there.

This looks like a solid list. The only thing that is taking me by surprise is B-tier because I didn't realize that CSZ and Ermac were so low on the list, and I feel like Sonya and Jax have good potential.

SZSR

Noob
Nice list, I wish Smoke was higher, because he can compete with the top tier, but A is fine anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.