What's new

MK1 Tier List Discussion Thread

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Wow. It's pretty wild to see that you have literally 99% of the same list that I do. Even down to the order placement wow what are the odds LOL. The only true differences are that I have Sindel near the Top of A+ and Liu at the Top of A. Everything else is the same haha.
Great minds think alike! I’m just glad people are starting to agree that Smoke isn’t all that great. People kept saying I was downplaying and it’s like, I would LOVE for Smoke to be top 5 I would be ecstatic! But if you know the MU, there’s really not a whole lot he can do other than invis setups. Which his invis stuff is good don’t get me wrong, but having to rely on it so much isn’t a good sign.

And yeah Sindel could be placed higher on mine but I just find like 6 or so of those characters in that area could all be changed around. Meaning they’re all relatively equal imo.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
You know I have to say it, that Sindel placement. Explain yourself lol.
I mean she could maybe go up with Liu Kang and above Kitana, but I feel sub zero Kameo invalidates her zoning, and while she’s strong there are better characters.

Looking at the characters I’ve placed above her, I think they have better/more tools. I’ll be interested to see how the meta game develops.

Again this is waaay too early, and I haven’t really played many Sindels so I’m open to having my mind changed.

Sub is a lot better online because it’s harder to react to B2 which is pretty much a no brainer offline. A lot of online Subs have success with B2 or B3 into Sareena for a safe “50/50”. Tom Brady calls it “fools gold” because B2 would never hit that often offline, and Tom is a subject matter expert on fooling people for gold, so he’s definitely correct in this case.
Sub is my second character and I understand this- however this is the case for most characters, online i land b2 with Smoke more often than i would offline because people can just interrupt it with d1, i get away with cancelling on block sometimes, nothing smoke does is a true 50/50 unless theres a kameo trick i dont know of, yet online the mix works- sub zero should get higher damage and a few tweaks but the fact that the “worst” character is still viable is a great sign, and kameos have made it so theres ways to compensate

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Here’s my early Kameo tier list. Again, don’t have a TON of experience with this game, and it’s still very early, so take this tier list with a grain of salt! Also, this is just an overall Kameo tier list. It’s hard to do an overall separate Kameo tier list since how strong a lot of the Kameos are depends on the character they’re assisting.

Anyway, here’s mine:

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Here’s my early Kameo tier list. Again, don’t have a TON of experience with this game, and it’s still very early, so take this tier list with a grain of salt! Also, this is just an overall Kameo tier list. It’s hard to do an overall separate Kameo tier list since how strong a lot of the Kameos are depends on the character they’re assisting.

Anyway, here’s mine:
View attachment 21165
Is Jax that good? I mean, the extra damage is great with some characters, but the ground pound is mostly gimmicky, and he has no use in neutral...

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Sub is my second character and I understand this- however this is the case for most characters, online i land b2 with Smoke more often than i would offline because people can just interrupt it with d1, i get away with cancelling on block sometimes, nothing smoke does is a true 50/50 unless theres a kameo trick i dont know of, yet online the mix works- sub zero should get higher damage and a few tweaks but the fact that the “worst” character is still viable is a great sign, and kameos have made it so theres ways to compensate
I don’t think Sub or Smoke for that matter are truly viable, or at least these versions of them won’t be a few months down the line for a certainty. But I definitely agree that if these are our low tiers, and considering the game was pushed out the door early, they did a great job with the balance. And on the flip side, if Kenshi truly is #1, I’m fine with that. You actually have to learn him and have a brain to play him, if you’re caught in sento and lose the puppet, you’re fucked. He is extremely good but he’s no day 1 MKX Tanya or Alien where you can just pick up and play instantly, NRS have come a really long way. I’m pissed over the un-needed nerfs to Sub, but the fact these are some of the worst characters in the game and they’re not just joke characters like MK9 low tiers or the Joker, it’s awesome. There’s still merit to these characters to a degree and I’m certain things will improve.

The Sub-Zero nerfs concern me for the game’s future though, if they nerfed beta Sub, what are they gonna do to the 10 or so characters in the game already that are better than beta Sub was? I’d rather see Sub, Nitara, Shao, Smoke, Rain, etc get some help than watch Baraka be gutted. In MKX when they just obliterated Johnny and Kotal it killed a lot of my fun.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

Anyway, here’s mine:
View attachment 21165
I think Sonya is better than Shuninko on average but otherwise agree

Shunjinko, as designed, is in an awkward spot where even if you master him, he's counter pick only. He might be a godly counterpick in some matchups, or he might be insane if the meta settles certain ways, but if the meta is remotely open there's no way you can game 1 him and not feel hobbled vs certain characters.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah I have Sonya in front of Shujinko. Shujinko can be very good but he’s really more of a counterpick Kameo as @Eji1700 said
Ah, didn’t realize it was ordered. I meant better to the point of she that shouldn’t share a tier with him, but it’s really just a nitpick, I like your list and I think based on what we’ve seen in tournaments and just anecdotal experience, it’s a good starting place for judging the kameos.

rifraf

Noob
The Sub-Zero nerfs concern me for the game’s future though, if they nerfed beta Sub, what are they gonna do to the 10 or so characters in the game already that are better than beta Sub was? I’d rather see Sub, Nitara, Shao, Smoke, Rain, etc get some help than watch Baraka be gutted.
I completely agree with this. Let's hope NRS will make a course correction here because it is concerning. This is a fast paced, high dmg output game similar to MK9. Let's normalise the concept of buffing up instead of nerfing down. Buff weaker characters up, nerf only when necessary.

I completely agree with this. Let's hope NRS will make a course correction here because it is concerning. This is a fast paced, high dmg output game similar to MK9. Let's normalise the concept of buffing up instead of nerfing down. Buff weaker characters up, nerf only when necessary.
The only nerfs i'd like to see at this point are on some kameo attacks, and even then I could live with them being missed so long as they buff others. And if i had to pick between the two, i'd want the buffs.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The only nerfs i'd like to see at this point are on some kameo attacks, and even then I could live with them being missed so long as they buff others. And if i had to pick between the two, i'd want the buffs.
Yeah, I just wish they’d buff and then if they believe something needs to be nerfed, only very slightly nerf it. For instance with Cyrax, just make his spinny spin cost more Kameo meter. Like make it cost 70% or so, or make it recharge really slowly after using it. This makes it so you can still use it, just can’t use it as often. I really hope they do nerfs this way instead of completely making whatever the good move is useless.

NHDR

Noob
I would actually balance the kameos before the characters. There are some characters I feel that go from strong to busted with the right kameo setup. Cyrax is a great example: he gives Kenshi a safe sento on block, Baraka crazy chip damage, and so forth.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I'm looking forward to the ECT related tier discussions. Like "This guy nearly beat/won against a Raiden player with General Shao so Shao must be top 5!"

Edit: I made this comment and like seconds later this crazy Patient-Impulse (Raiden/Crax) vs Dylock (Shao/Kano) set. I must be psycho... I mean psychic.

Last edited:

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
@Juggs. Hey I keep seeing people talk about SonicFox saying Scorp is bottom 1 not Sub but cannot find the source or full statement. Have you heard it?

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
Damn this discussion is dead. Post patch thoughts:

Definitely top tier: cage, ashrah, kenshi, reiko
Possibly top tier: Raiden, rain, Tanya, Liu Kang, kitana, kung lao

Not top tier but def high tier and underrated: li Mei