What's new

MK1 Tier List Discussion Thread

Great post. I didn’t know that about UMK3. It’s interesting how things change as people get better.

Which is why I’m not a big fan of huge nerfs and buffs early on. But that’s a different conversation.
It's a different conversation but a great one especially early on in MK1 before any major balancing takes place.
I think many feel a certain way vs matchups and are naturally pushed towards nerfs but they shouldn't. The meta evolves and things change drastically. In the first 6 months of a fighting games life you discover so much tech, tech that makes bottom tiers S and tech that makes the most annoying S++ tiers junk.
I'm even this way when it comes to feeling Johnny is OP or insert character matchup. It's very possible we are wrong about Johnny.
We 100% know every Top 30 player was dead wrong about Rain in the first two weeks. He went from Bottom 3 to Top 5 then to currently Mid Tier in A/A+ on everyone's list in just a 1-½ months time.
Imagine what happens after two majors and how much the last patch effected the meta. People will start using other Kameos and this will lead to discovered tech

M2Dave

Zoning Master
View attachment 21201

My tier list. It's not in any particular order. I think li Mei and Tanya are better than people think.

S- characters that can win tournaments and feel stronger than the rest of the cast

A- characters that can go top 8 in tournaments. Feel very strong but they're just not quite as strong as S tier.

B- Viable characters. Can definitely beat characters above them, but will notice a difference in character strength against the top tiers. Probably not making top 8s.

C- if you're looking to make it out of pools, do not pick these characters.
Just some thoughts and feedback.
  • I agree that Raiden is still S tier, albeit likely no longer number 1. Goro's up punch is a valid replacement for Cyrax's kopter chopper.
  • The word is officially out on Ashrah, huh? I think she is the best space control character in the game.
  • Rain is no longer S tier in my opinion. He is a flawed character who happened to synergize perfectly with pre-patch Cyrax.
  • Reiko does not deal sufficient damage to be S tier while the zoning is not sufficiently strong to compensate. I believe he is somewhere in the middle of A tier.
  • I would place Kung Lao as the final S tier character. He has access to the most damaging safe, launching armor in the game. He is also solid otherwise.
  • Tanya should be at the top of A. She is a complete character with the second best safe, launching armor in the game.
  • Mileena is also A tier with Kung Lao as the kameo because he fixes 1,2 being flawless block punishable and addresses the fact that she has no full-screen presence. Ball is arguably the second best special move in the game after storm cell.
  • Speaking of A tier, Liu Kang has to be at the top of A tier. He is almost certainly better than characters like Rain and Reiko and even Mileena. He has perfect synergy with the best kameo in the game.

I want to address something I've seen said about MK1 tiers. I don't think any character is below B+ Tier in this game. Obviously characters like Sub Zero and Scorpion are far from S and feel like they are playing a different game but it's mostly lack of Top Tier dirt. An example of this is characters like Rain with lack of range from his strings in D3 distance. Gaps in his only Mid and Armor move Geysers.
Then you have Li Mei which is obviously strong if used right but has more gaps than Sub Zero, swiss cheese and NRS balancing strategy.

I don't think A+, A or B+ is incapable of placing top 8 in majors. From what I've seen those using Sub Zero, Nitara, Reptile, Smoke and Scorpion didn't get knocked out of pools because character flaws but more because of player mistakes and lack of capitalizing on options vs S/A+ Tier character they was facing.

I want to address something I've seen said about MK1 tiers. I don't think any character is below B+ Tier in this game. Obviously characters like Sub Zero and Scorpion are far from S and feel like they are playing a different game but it's mostly lack of Top Tier dirt. An example of this is characters like Rain with lack of range from his strings in D3 distance. Gaps in his only Mid and Armor move Geysers.
Then you have Li Mei which is obviously strong if used right but has more gaps than Sub Zero, swiss cheese and NRS balancing strategy.

I don't think A+, A or B+ is incapable of placing top 8 in majors. From what I've seen those using Sub Zero, Nitara, Reptile, Smoke and Scorpion didn't get knocked out of pools because character flaws but more because of player mistakes and lack of capitalizing on options vs S/A+ Tier character they was facing.
I'm not so sure about sub taking top 8, at least at a major.

The thing about sub is that some of his biggest flaws don't really show that much until you start hitting higher tier players. Even in KL the average player doesn't know which stings have gaps or often react to clone/overhead in the way that you can if you're really drilling it. Sorta like how people still keep eating sareena knives on the comeback even though most of the cast has some sort of punish that goes under the returning knives and is better than just d3.

In that top level environment, sub has precious few tools that aren't just gimmicks, and is extremely reliant on Lao hat for any real pressure. I'd be curious to see someone try it, but I'd be comfortable betting he never makes a top 8 showing at a major, except I suspect he's going to be buffed/changed before we get a chance to really test that.

I'm not so sure about sub taking top 8, at least at a major.

The thing about sub is that some of his biggest flaws don't really show that much until you start hitting higher tier players. Even in KL the average player doesn't know which stings have gaps or often react to clone/overhead in the way that you can if you're really drilling it. Sorta like how people still keep eating sareena knives on the comeback even though most of the cast has some sort of punish that goes under the returning knives and is better than just d3.

In that top level environment, sub has precious few tools that aren't just gimmicks, and is extremely reliant on Lao hat for any real pressure. I'd be curious to see someone try it, but I'd be comfortable betting he never makes a top 8 showing at a major, except I suspect he's going to be buffed/changed before we get a chance to really test that.
I agree that he's basically the worst. I know if Sonic was to go full on Sub he could place top 8 but I seriously doubt any top 30 player is going to use Sub Zero at any majors. He has very limited options and dirt and is mainly used reactionary with no real offense as a base character.
I do believe he needs buffs, that should be glaringly obvious to most. Just saying you could place top 8 because he has tools just not what any previous Sub Zero gameplan was. No corner oppression, no S Tier rushdown shutdown tools like previous Clones (MK9)

I definitely won't be someone in favor of preventing low tier buffs. I'm of the opinion the game would benefit far more with mid to low tier buffs than nerfing the top tiers to mid.

I agree that he's basically the worst. I know if Sonic was to go full on Sub he could place top 8 but I seriously doubt any top 30 player is going to use Sub Zero at any majors. He has very limited options and dirt and is mainly used reactionary with no real offense as a base character.
I do believe he needs buffs, that should be glaringly obvious to most. Just saying you could place top 8 because he has tools just not what any previous Sub Zero gameplan was. No corner oppression, no S Tier rushdown shutdown tools like previous Clones (MK9)

I definitely won't be someone in favor of preventing low tier buffs. I'm of the opinion the game would benefit far more with mid to low tier buffs than nerfing the top tiers to mid.
I get what you're saying, just disagree that "he has tools". He is seriously lacking in real tools. I'm not talking dirt either, i'm talking "what do i do when they block my string" basic level stuff.

Your strings all have gaps, and clone can be punished on reaction with armor, and they're all negative on block, some full combo punishable.

A smart opponent just crouch blocks the string (because your overhead is also super reactable) and reacts appropriately, sometimes armoring through a gap. Even at lower tiers where people can't react, since clone doesn't hit low pokes, you can just d1/3/4 and pretty safely end subs pressure/check him. If he clones it won't freeze you, if he pokes you'll probably beat him, you'll recover before he can punish the poke, and in general he can't do much to you for it.

IF you get a hit into a combo, you probably end with slide, annd then what? As we just established, you have no real pressure game.

So of course you say "well with lao..." and yeah, with lao he gets to be + and can do some setups. With sareena he's got a really slow (and i think gimmicky) runaway game. And so on. But that's the kameo's having tools, not sub, and even with just those tools, I don't think it's really enough.

Now granted sub is clearly supposed to be defensive, but when you can't even enforce a gameplan from ANY blocked string unless your kameo can, something is very very wrong with your character.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
I get what you're saying, just disagree that "he has tools". He is seriously lacking in real tools. I'm not talking dirt either, i'm talking "what do i do when they block my string" basic level stuff.

Your strings all have gaps, and clone can be punished on reaction with armor, and they're all negative on block, some full combo punishable.

A smart opponent just crouch blocks the string (because your overhead is also super reactable) and reacts appropriately, sometimes armoring through a gap. Even at lower tiers where people can't react, since clone doesn't hit low pokes, you can just d1/3/4 and pretty safely end subs pressure/check him. If he clones it won't freeze you, if he pokes you'll probably beat him, you'll recover before he can punish the poke, and in general he can't do much to you for it.

IF you get a hit into a combo, you probably end with slide, annd then what? As we just established, you have no real pressure game.

So of course you say "well with lao..." and yeah, with lao he gets to be + and can do some setups. With sareena he's got a really slow (and i think gimmicky) runaway game. And so on. But that's the kameo's having tools, not sub, and even with just those tools, I don't think it's really enough.

Now granted sub is clearly supposed to be defensive, but when you can't even enforce a gameplan from ANY blocked string unless your kameo can, something is very very wrong with your character.
Coughs in General Shao

Some General Shao players did really well at ECT. There wasn't a single Sub-Zero. He and Scorp need help they likely won't get because NRS will be too busy nerfing everything.
I really do hope NRS will do the minor nerfs and buff the bottom approach for once.
They should have learned from the trainwreck that was MK11 balancing. Everything for the most part got balanced but nobody wanted to play it. It was already watered down and it destroyed the potential of learning new things with characters down the road.

I should know better, but I do have some hope with players like Forever King giving advise on balancing. And the fact almost every notable top player is stating they want buffs not nerfs. To only do minor adjustments to characters like Johnny and buff the ones struggling vs him.
It's actually shocked me seeing tons of pro players that hate the Johnny matchup doing minor adjustment suggestions stating they don't want him gutted.
It sounds like some of the pros know a balance patch is coming for Johnny. Maybe they got ears inside NRS.
Before on MKX and MK11 they would have asked to NERF Everything but their characters into the ground.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
In MK11 we said they should have learned from MK10. In MK10 we said learn from 9. It's just how they do things. And Forever King, Dragon, etc. are CLEARLY not Sub-Zero and Scorpion fans, lmao.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I really do hope NRS will do the minor nerfs and buff the bottom approach for once.
They should have learned from the trainwreck that was MK11 balancing. Everything for the most part got balanced but nobody wanted to play it.
One thing that I'm hoping for our community is that people learn to say that they just don't like a game.

It's fine for a game to not be someone's personal taste. But when people say that nobody played MK11, I'm not sure what they were watching.

Mk11 was a big test for the scene.. We had to survive the pandemic which briefly killed the offline scene. And it went for four years, with support ending after just two of them. So the scene could have easily fallen apart.

Instead, a lot of people played through all 4 years. I would log onto Twitch even earlier this year and see Foxy, Tweedy, and a bunch of other good players playing. I'd turn on online tournaments and see Unjust, Gambler, 2EZ, Fullauto, Biohazard, Honeybee in The Kolosseum or whatever. In 2022 we had Rewind, the chilean twins, Han Rashid, and a bunch of other people put on a show at EVO, and 2023's EVO with Ninja winning was probably the most memorable of the whole 4 years.

So yeah.. Even with how the divisive the game was, plenty of people still played it and did so for a long time. It made me proud of our scene.

I hope that people don't try to prematurely kill MK1 if it's personally not their game.

One thing that I'm hoping for our community is that people learn to say that they just don't like a game.

It's fine for a game to not be someone's personal taste. But when people say that nobody played MK11, I'm not sure what they were watching.

Mk11 was a big test for the scene.. We had to survive the pandemic which briefly killed the offline scene. And it went for four years, with support ending after just two of them. So the scene could have easily fallen apart.

Instead, a lot of people played through all 4 years. I would log onto Twitch even earlier this year and see Foxy, Tweedy, and a bunch of other good players playing. I'd turn on online tournaments and see Unjust, Gambler, 2EZ, Fullauto, Biohazard, Honeybee in The Kolosseum or whatever. In 2022 we had Rewind, the chilean twins, Han Rashid, and a bunch of other people put on a show at EVO, and 2023's EVO with Ninja winning was probably the most memorable of the whole 4 years.

So yeah.. Even with how the divisive the game was, plenty of people still played it and did so for a long time. It made me proud of our scene.

I hope that people don't try to prematurely kill MK1 if it's personally not their game.
Oh I agree, you are right, definitely a big scene which is great. Sad they didn't pay pros well at majors. But that's here nor there.
What Foxy was saying was MK11 was stale at the end because of the Poke Throw Meta with Krushing Blows making you get 30-35% off a couple inputs but foxy is definitely someone to abuse the meta and there's nothing wrong with that, adapt or die. Definitely catered more towards casuals with the overall design.
My post about it was referring to the majority of players dropping from online and even lower numbers at majors after year 2.
It felt like there wasn't any tech to discover because of NRS deciding to go down the route of nerf the tops to mid and make it more balanced. It was very balanced at the end but just killed it for me and from what I hear many pros.
I definitely have respect for the pros at the highest level in the world showing how to still show skill with such a simple meta. Even watching them in poke/throw they still showed skill.
But I do greatly favor MK1 gameplay to MK11. For me it's a middle ground between MKX speed and insane mix to chip/blockstring pressure with a mixture of 50/50, shimmy(wiff punish characters) and frametrap mix. Assist games have always been my favorite just from the sheer number of possibilities. I believe the accepted current meta of pressure chip mix will change over time. Isn't there more than 400+ matchups if you count every Kameo available now. Not including DLC.
Tremor with variations can potentially blow up the meta. I feel a Characters gameplan can change drastically with different Kameo applications and if they add multiple Kameo variations or just DLC having Kameo Variations, it's still a lot to lab.

I think MK1 releasing with an incomplete single player and online experience with several standard QOL features missing kind of killed casual user base which are the large majority.
If not for that I think MK1 would beat Tekken Beta, MK11 and SF6 in user base. I believe MK1 did outsell several of them.
I do have hope for MK1

I do agree with you, I don't like the people who want to change MK1 because they like a older MK. I want what they promised pre-release.

NHDR

Noob
Is Geras that good now? What was the balance change that shot him up so much? That list is solid overall though I would move Cage to "S". Also, I don't think there's an "S+" tier but I am open to being convinced otherwise. I would also change the "A-" tier to "B" and "B" to "C".

Yeah, S is meant to mean "broken", like Vergil in Marvel, not just the best, and I'd argue that only thing that fits that now is Kung Lao Kameo, and sure, Johnny's Fatal but not the character as a whole, so no need for S+. But, if everyone is using S to mean best, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Also, you all are putting Sub too low. Obviously, his damage is low, but so is Tanya's, but people realized she had solid tools so she's still good. It's the same for him. To the top 8 comment I saw about him earlier, check out some of the other tournaments TNS has covered, like First Attack. Maybe not a full on major, but decently close.

Yeah, S is meant to mean "broken", like Vergil in Marvel, not just the best, and I'd argue that only thing that fits that now is Kung Lao Kameo, and sure, Johnny's Fatal but not the character as a whole, so no need for S+. But, if everyone is using S to mean best, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Also, you all are putting Sub too low. Obviously, his damage is low, but so is Tanya's, but people realized she had solid tools so she's still good. It's the same for him. To the top 8 comment I saw about him earlier, check out some of the other tournaments TNS has covered, like First Attack. Maybe not a full on major, but decently close.
S tier doesn't and has never meant broken. It's referring to Japan's standardized grading system for academics, the highest grade being an S. The letter beside the grouping is pretty arbitrary, regardless.

Nitara has made it deep into a major as well, but comparatively, she's still a week character and the game is still new, lots of MU knowledge lacked. Sub doesn't just have low damage, he has no neutral aside from YOLO slide or dive kick, he's unsafe on a lot of his best tools, and he's just simply worse than most characters.

You mentioned Tanya, which is funny. They both have low damage, so what's the difference? Certainly not a safe armored launched. Lmfao.

Is Geras that good now? What was the balance change that shot him up so much? That list is solid overall though I would move Cage to "S". Also, I don't think there's an "S+" tier but I am open to being convinced otherwise. I would also change the "A-" tier to "B" and "B" to "C".
Nothing new, I've always thought Geras was a monster, tbh. Rewind is nuts. Full screen time stop, too. Him, Johnny, and Kenshi all seem to have just a little more to do than the rest of the cast.

The naming is insignificant, I think I did have A- as B and B as B- at one point.

S tier doesn't and has never meant broken. It's referring to Japan's standardized grading system for academics, the highest grade being an S. The letter beside the grouping is pretty arbitrary, regardless.

Nitara has made it deep into a major as well, but comparatively, she's still a week character and the game is still new, lots of MU knowledge lacked. Sub doesn't just have low damage, he has no neutral aside from YOLO slide or dive kick, he's unsafe on a lot of his best tools, and he's just simply worse than most characters.

You mentioned Tanya, which is funny. They both have low damage, so what's the difference? Certainly not a safe armored launched. Lmfao.
That's not the evolution of tier lists I've seen over the past 10+ years, but I suppose it's just semantics or whether you want certain grades to have set meanings across games. For example, a lot of people aren't using anything below B in their tier lists for MK1 because C and D can mean unplayable. I'd argue that S can have a set meaning at the opposite end of the spectrum, but if the only goal of the tier list is to order characters and not show how narrow the banding is for a particular game, then again, it doesn't matter.

Sub with no neutral tools? Random slide? He has a solid mid string, a good low string, his dive kick is great, his mid projectile is very powerful with the right spacing, and his Klone has multiple uses of course. There's no reason to play randomly with him unless you are looking to establish that worry in your opponent. I've seen a few people make this "no neutral" claim on posts here and am mystified. Perhaps people are only comparing him to his beta version or are trying to play him like he did in MK 11 or MK X and haven't changed their style to his current tools? I've been playing him since release and haven't had that struggle.

Also, Tanya only has a safe armored launcher with Goro, same as Sub can. So that wouldn't count as a distinction between them. Hers is multi hitting and can go over characters, which are big pluses, but his is farther reaching and a low, so they both have positives. Neither is as good as Kung Lao's of course, but they're both amazing.

That's not the evolution of tier lists I've seen over the past 10+ years, but I suppose it's just semantics or whether you want certain grades to have set meanings across games. For example, a lot of people aren't using anything below B in their tier lists for MK1 because C and D can mean unplayable. I'd argue that S can have a set meaning at the opposite end of the spectrum, but if the only goal of the tier list is to order characters and not show how narrow the banding is for a particular game, then again, it doesn't matter.
This is why i've been doing what sajam/lordknight do and actually have descriptive names rather than arbitrary letters. Too much variance in what everyone thinks, and if you start comparing between games you get games like this where S to B is "ok" or older games where C was "literally should never pick vs an S".

Sub with no neutral tools? Random slide? He has a solid mid string, a good low string, his dive kick is great, his mid projectile is very powerful with the right spacing, and his Klone has multiple uses of course. There's no reason to play randomly with him unless you are looking to establish that worry in your opponent. I've seen a few people make this "no neutral" claim on posts here and am mystified. Perhaps people are only comparing him to his beta version or are trying to play him like he did in MK 11 or MK X and haven't changed their style to his current tools? I've been playing him since release and haven't had that struggle.

Also, Tanya only has a safe armored launcher with Goro, same as Sub can. So that wouldn't count as a distinction between them. Hers is multi hitting and can go over characters, which are big pluses, but his is farther reaching and a low, so they both have positives. Neither is as good as Kung Lao's of course, but they're both amazing.
Slide is the worst it's ever been. There are multiple projectiles in this game you cannot slide on reaction and have to guess, and it's death on block. It's hardly a major neutral tool, and it's main purpose as an anti projectile threat has been gutted. Oh and guess what, the most common projectile is lao hat...which it wouldn't work against even if sub didn't have mandatory standing frames.

His mid string is slow, minus on block, and death if you do the full thing, with gaps to armor through. It does advance nicely.

His low string can't be combo'd out of without an ambush or setup style kameo, and he's got no real overhead threat once you get better at recognizing the animation so you always block low anyways. Oh also has a gap.

Dive kick and clone punch are good.

His clone is the weakest it's ever been (if you don't count MK11's bullshit). It can be armor punished ON REACTION, and even if you don't have armor, again it's an "on reaction" thing. It also has a trash hitbox, a zillion recovery frames, an EX that was almost buffed by being made literally unusuable so people wouldn't accidentally use it and waste 2 bars, and a stupid high cooldown before you can use it again (fucking both his offense and combos).

The hitbox is especially bad because you can basically always d1 a sub string and if he didn't commit to the 3rd hit, then the D1 will beat whatever he does after, be safe vs clone/anything else he'd do. Some characters and some spacing's can also get D3/D4 for basically free to check him as well.

Oh and I believe geras can meterless punish clone on reaction.

So much of sub is currently just knowledge checks. It feels like 4 different people designed him, all wanting one tool to be really good (vapors, dive kick, clone, overhead), but nerfed the other aspects to keep it fair, but all we're left with is the nerfs. His whole kit screams "well we don't want this to be too powerful" as if it's compensated by some busted ability or tech, but that doesn't actually exist.

As for goro, the big issue is he doesn't solve sub's aforementioned issues. He gives some easier combo routes for basic damage and yes an armored launcher, but that doesn't matter when your entire offense evaporates vs someone who's good.

Last edited:
Smoke is between low and mid tier, and if they nerf the best kameos he will be truly low tier. I found a hack to fight against invisible set ups that im worried will make things hard for him so i cant release the information

This is why i've been doing what sajam/lordknight do and actually have descriptive names rather than arbitrary letters. Too much variance in what everyone thinks, and if you start comparing between games you get games like this where S to B is "ok" or older games where C was "literally should never pick vs an S".

Slide is the worst it's ever been. There are multiple projectiles in this game you cannot slide on reaction and have to guess, and it's death on block. It's hardly a major neutral tool, and it's main purpose as an anti projectile threat has been gutted. Oh and guess what, the most common projectile is lao hat...which it wouldn't work against even if sub didn't have mandatory standing frames.

His mid string is slow, minus on block, and death if you do the full thing, with gaps to armor through. It does advance nicely.

His low string can't be combo'd out of without an ambush or setup style kameo, and he's got no real overhead threat once you get better at recognizing the animation so you always block low anyways. Oh also has a gap.

Dive kick and clone punch are good.

His clone is the weakest it's ever been (if you don't count MK11's bullshit). It can be armor punished ON REACTION, and even if you don't have armor, again it's an "on reaction" thing. It also has a trash hitbox, a zillion recovery frames, an EX that was almost buffed by being made literally unusuable so people wouldn't accidentally use it and waste 2 bars, and a stupid high cooldown before you can use it again (fucking both his offense and combos).

The hitbox is especially bad because you can basically always d1 a sub string and if he didn't commit to the 3rd hit, then the D1 will beat whatever he does after, be safe vs clone/anything else he'd do. Some characters and some spacing's can also get D3/D4 for basically free to check him as well.

Oh and I believe geras can meterless punish clone on reaction.

So much of sub is currently just knowledge checks. It feels like 4 different people designed him, all wanting one tool to be really good (vapors, dive kick, clone, overhead), but nerfed the other aspects to keep it fair, but all we're left with is the nerfs. His whole kit screams "well we don't want this to be too powerful" as if it's compensated by some busted ability or tech, but that doesn't actually exist.

As for goro, the big issue is he doesn't solve sub's aforementioned issues. He gives some easier combo routes for basic damage and yes an armored launcher, but that doesn't matter when your entire offense evaporates vs someone who's good.
Thank you for the detailed reply, and I agree that what you describe can be a clearer way to do tier lists.

As for some of the points you mention on Sub:
  • Slide being worse in this game doesn't mean it's a bad tool. The fact that it's a nearly full screen armored launcher low with the right Kameo is amazing. He had the same in X of course, but only if you set it up. So, while the Slide now has some minuses, it also has a huge upside. Also, if this was his only way to counter zone I'd agree it's unfortunate, but divekick lets him full combo punish many projectiles, including low hat when it's used in a pressure string. But, you've already said divekick is good, so it sounds like we're on the same page there. Lastly, I wouldn't suggest using slide as a neutral tool, just a punish. He has other things for neutral.
  • 15 frames for a mid, though not Johnny's dizzy knee, isn't bad, especially not when it lets you meaty perfectly after a slide, which is how you end almost all combos. This also sets up armor breaks on many characters' wake ups. If the gap was in between the first and second hit like Reptile, it would be tragic, but it's at the end, which you're correct, you usually shouldn't end with anyway since it's unsafe. Also, being negative after a string is normal. Yes, it's sucks that Johnny can D1 punish and that LK can full combo punish, but that's where mixing in a Kameo, klone, or going for a different string can help.
  • The point of his low string isn't for mix, just its speed and forward advancement. True, you need a Kameo that picks up that combo, so it isn't available for all styles of Sub play, but that's the great part about the Kameo system, letting the same character play various ways. If you want to increase your combo potential and the power of your stings, going with Sonya, Goro, or Scorpion is best, as opposed to the more zoning or space control route you get with Sareena or Frost. Assuming you do have a Kameo that can pick up, the range of the low string is great. True, there is an armorable gap--that's one of the few buffs I'd ask for--but thankfully beyond Kung Lao and Tanya, not a lot of people play with armored launcher combinations, so someone spending a bar to interrupt isn't that bad a trade. Plus, since you're only -5, you can enhanced slide after the string to steal your turn back, and if it hits, you get a full combo in this configuration.
  • Klone definitely has a lot of weaknesses, and it would be nice if it was better, but it still has uses in poke wars or to catch forward advancing strings or jumps--basically as a parry where you can tell it's guaranteed.
So, with a mixture of his mid string, low string, divekick, projectiles, a bit of klone, and slide punishes, he has multiple options from many ranges.

I'm not saying that people need to like this version of Sub or stop calling for buffs, but compared to some other characters who are really lacking in tools, like Nitara, Scorpion, Reptile, and Shao with an ax, and potentially some others, Sub has a lot going for him. Of course, I'm sure many won't agree, but if anyone out there stopped playing Sub because they heard it was a struggle, I'd suggest giving him another go. It's a fun ride using the tools he has in this game, especially the divekick.

NHDR

Noob
Thank you for the detailed reply, and I agree that what you describe can be a clearer way to do tier lists.

As for some of the points you mention on Sub:
I'm not a good Sub player so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I sincerely believe his clone is pure ass. The active frames are so bad.

Having a no kameo mode would be so easy, the kameos are there for throws/fatal blows only, you remove assist and make breakers only meter dependent.