What's new

Mileena is fun but doesn't have what it takes to win a major, here's why

Gankula

Noob
So I now discredit everything REO says, and consider everything else he says from here on out a facade. I'm watching Mileena sweep the finals at evo, so I guess she CAN win majors.

aj1701

Noob
Then why would he say his on main can't win a major while he's a few wins away from reaching that goal.
To get everyone that read that thread and was going to Evo to underestimate his Mileena, tell them how he wants them to play her.. and then crush them.

RamenO

It Stinks!
Mileena is fun but doesn't have what it takes to win a major....but she'll get you second at EVO.

or

Mileena is fun but doesn't have what it takes to win a major but Cyrax does.

Either way, good shit at EVO REO. Definitely 7-3 and 8-2 matchups.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
I don't want to take anything away from REO, because he played well, but I don't necessarily think people should be rushing in here with torches screaming "he's a fraud, he's a liar!"

The fact is, REO was pretty fortunate. Barely anyone he played on stream knew anything about fighting Mileena. There were a lot of extremely punishable things used frequently throughout his matches that hardly anyone was capitalizing on. Granted, I never believed Mileena couldn't win a major, she's a fantastic character; she's just different in that she relies so much on risks and reading. It isn't typically seen as ideal considering several characters can attack more consistently and more safely.

So, while I disagree with REO's initial stance (which I outlined in my first post), I doubt REO was trying to troll or psyche someone out because when you're playing against people who know Mileena, it can feel a little lopsided if your guesses are off. The thing is, he just wasn't playing against people that seemed to know Mileena. As a result, Mileena seemed far more dominant than she normally is. I repeat though, I'm not by any means saying she's a mediocre character. She is still great and more than able to win majors. I'm just trying to clarify and explain the unusual difference between his initial post and REO's performance.

Dark Rob, being a Mileena player myself, I understand how others can view your fighting and say "wow, how did that work?"; however, there's a difference between something like using a roll successfully to stop OTG pressure (good read, despite how punishable it is) and having people consistently fail to punish things that net full combo. There was a lot of divekick abuse and more missed punishes all around than I've ever seen. It just genuinely seemed like many players simply did not understand the proper punish for her moves. Kudos to REO for picking out what his opponents are and aren't punishing, because that's what you need to do with Mileena, and that's what you abuse.

So, all in all, I'm not trying to take anything away from REO, he played one hell of a game, as strange as it sounds I'm actually trying to defend him against people who would come in and call him a liar. Mileena still has some issues (although I don't feel they're grave enough to exclude her from viability), it's just that a lot of them weren't necessarily showcased on stream.

Mileena is just so high risk high reward that sometimes she can appear awful and other times she just appears godlike. I mean, sometimes you flip a coin and it lands heads 10 times in a row. An oversimplification, yes, but it's something Mileena players probably understand quite well.

Danno

Noob
Captain has to go down with his ship. Switching to another character as a last minute desperation isnt going to win you EVO. Especially in this match up, he did beat Perfect Legend in best of 5 with Mileena. Its really tough to win 6 games against an opponent without them figuring you out. But You have to fight through it. PL fought through it, made adjustments and was able to pull it out. If your mind and focus all weekend was Mileena and her moves are all second nature, cant change it up last match. He definitely would have put up a better effort with Mileena.

Thanks REO for showing us that Mileena is definitely worthy of winning a major. If REO was in winners going into today, we could be singing a different toon right now about Mileena.

Kung Lao is just too tough for any character in the game. You just got to straight out beat your opponent.

First, MAD props to Reo. Dude is a boss. Second, not to take anything away from PL (who is an amazing player), but I think the grand finals outcome was primarily the result of two factors:

1. Reo having to fight his way out of losers bracket.

2. Hat tier.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Reo had some intense battle before finals against JOP and Chris G, it's so hard to outcome such amount of good players in the same night, sometimes we cannot win all .......... he is a hero already to face everyone with Mileena !! XD

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
Barely anyone he played on stream knew anything about fighting Mileena.
This was my impression, too. Think back to the Perfect Legend VS Jim match Friday. Jim came within 10% of a lifebar of sending PL into losers. Jim is a good Mileena, but there's no way he should have been a threat to Perfect Legend. He was wasting a bar of meter nearly every time he did a combo for, what, 24%?

That being said, I do think REO overestimated KL's advantage over Mileena, and that Mileena is fully capable of taking a major, even if it wasn't this one.

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
First, MAD props to Reo. Dude is a boss. Second, not to take anything away from PL (who is an amazing player), but I think the grand finals outcome was primarily the result of two factors:

1. Reo having to fight his way out of losers bracket.

2. Hat tier.
At least we can finally retire that old "bringing a knife to a gunfight" expression now that Evo 2011 has given us a 21st century replacement: Bringing a sai to a hat fight. :)

You would have won with Mileena if you had gotten your punishment right in the last set. You kept missing your dash up and string after the blocked spin. Should have just rolled. Anyway, its clear Mileena can win a major.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Well....IMO reptile is much harder to beat than Kung Lao.
...Why would Reptile be harder to beat when he is the only character who gets jailed if he standblocks a telekick? He can't do anything about the followup sai if it's instant. Reptile has to burn meter to really do anything about it, and in this matchup he has trouble doing so.

In a nutshell, Mileena gets past his projectiles very safe when he has zero meter (even if he has meter, he has to anticipate), and not only that, is at advantage on block for the move that gets her in. It's bad for Reptile for that specific reason.

AIBOSTON

Don't be mad!
...Why would Reptile be harder to beat when he is the only character who gets jailed if he standblocks a telekick? He can't do anything about the followup sai if it's instant. Reptile has to burn meter to really do anything about it, and in this matchup he has trouble doing so.

In a nutshell, Mileena gets past his projectiles very safe when he has zero meter (even if he has meter, he has to anticipate), and not only that, is at advantage on block for the move that gets her in. It's bad for Reptile for that specific reason.
With Kung Lao there are only 3 moves i need to watch 4 to beat him. With Reptile...I have to watch his speed. I can beat more Kung Lao's than experienced Reptiles. I dunno why. And to show you, you would have to play me with both characters.

xenogorgeous

KL demands more patience to fight against than any other character, is a true "chess game" when playing against him .....

KL put you in certain situations , as a true "paper scissors rock" mental game, where you have to try to foresee/guess what option he will do, and pay a lot of attention if he will do a mistake while executing it.

KL is good in various areas in this game, having a answer for a lot of situations : AA, zoning, rushdown pressure, mix up, etc .....

I think lacking of patience and anxiety work hard against players that face KL ..... sometimes

Maybe a good advice : whatever character you main as your favourite, try to use KL as much as possible in training mode and in boot camping training, to get used and familiar with his gameplay, and try to plan and build "anti-Kung Lao" strategies, lol !! XD

It's a good stuff, since, if in tourneys you know that soon or later you will meet some Kung Lao along the way, you know you tried to study his gameplay before, and, theorically, you know what he can do, despite, even this way, will be a hard fight and you know that ..... hehe

I don't want to take anything away from REO, because he played well, but I don't necessarily think people should be rushing in here with torches screaming "he's a fraud, he's a liar!"

The fact is, REO was pretty fortunate. Barely anyone he played on stream knew anything about fighting Mileena. There were a lot of extremely punishable things used frequently throughout his matches that hardly anyone was capitalizing on. Granted, I never believed Mileena couldn't win a major, she's a fantastic character; she's just different in that she relies so much on risks and reading. It isn't typically seen as ideal considering several characters can attack more consistently and more safely.

So, while I disagree with REO's initial stance (which I outlined in my first post), I doubt REO was trying to troll or psyche someone out because when you're playing against people who know Mileena, it can feel a little lopsided if your guesses are off. The thing is, he just wasn't playing against people that seemed to know Mileena. As a result, Mileena seemed far more dominant than she normally is. I repeat though, I'm not by any means saying she's a mediocre character. She is still great and more than able to win majors. I'm just trying to clarify and explain the unusual difference between his initial post and REO's performance.

Dark Rob, being a Mileena player myself, I understand how others can view your fighting and say "wow, how did that work?"; however, there's a difference between something like using a roll successfully to stop OTG pressure (good read, despite how punishable it is) and having people consistently fail to punish things that net full combo. There was a lot of divekick abuse and more missed punishes all around than I've ever seen. It just genuinely seemed like many players simply did not understand the proper punish for her moves. Kudos to REO for picking out what his opponents are and aren't punishing, because that's what you need to do with Mileena, and that's what you abuse.

So, all in all, I'm not trying to take anything away from REO, he played one hell of a game, as strange as it sounds I'm actually trying to defend him against people who would come in and call him a liar. Mileena still has some issues (although I don't feel they're grave enough to exclude her from viability), it's just that a lot of them weren't necessarily showcased on stream.

Mileena is just so high risk high reward that sometimes she can appear awful and other times she just appears godlike. I mean, sometimes you flip a coin and it lands heads 10 times in a row. An oversimplification, yes, but it's something Mileena players probably understand quite well.
Pretty much this. Mileena absolutey can win majors. I could not believe the amount of missed punishes I saw.... from everyone in the top 8. Being a Mileena player, I was pulling for REO to win in the end. And he absolutely could have. I was at times sitting there wanting to pull my hair out thinking, "no... no.. no... that's not how Mileena punishes that!" But it's easy to be critical when I'm not the one sitting in front of thousands of people playing. The window for a Dash 42 punish is SO much smaller on a blocked spin than simpley rolling into a U4. I couldn't belive how many timers I saw that one.

On the other side, PL was missing punishes on blocked regular teleport kicks.

There were tons more than that, but the one s that blew my mind, again, were missed punishes from blocked spins... That should be one of the first things you figure out when you decide to play a character...... you have to figure that you'll always have to go through a KL player.

Other one was either right before or right after the sets were reset. 3rd round.. juggle in the corner, PL had a breaker and a shred of life, REO had a full meter and and let his juggle get broken instead of X'ing and taking the match.

Like I said though, easy to be critical when I'm just watching... I guess that's why they play and not just run matches on auto pilot though. Congrats to PL and REO. Very well played.

cyke_out

Noob
Hindsight is 20/20, I know when ever I watch my recorded matches, I see countless mistakes, missed punishment oppertunities and bad reads. You can bet all the pro will be watching the EVO footage and seeing what they need to fix. I'm sure Reo and PL knows they dropped some oppertunites, and will be working on ways to fix it. We can sit here and say so and so should done this, but it's nothing so and so aren't going todo anyway.

regardless, both PLl and Reo did enough to get them in the grand finals, they were better than 500 something other players. Some no one else can say. It was an amazing set of matches and I hope Reo sticks with Mileena for next years EVO too.

xenogorgeous

Pretty much this. Mileena absolutey can win majors. I could not believe the amount of missed punishes I saw.... from everyone in the top 8. Being a Mileena player, I was pulling for REO to win in the end. And he absolutely could have. I was at times sitting there wanting to pull my hair out thinking, "no... no.. no... that's not how Mileena punishes that!" But it's easy to be critical when I'm not the one sitting in front of thousands of people playing. The window for a Dash 42 punish is SO much smaller on a blocked spin than simpley rolling into a U4. I couldn't belive how many timers I saw that one.

On the other side, PL was missing punishes on blocked regular teleport kicks.

There were tons more than that, but the one s that blew my mind, again, were missed punishes from blocked spins... That should be one of the first things you figure out when you decide to play a character...... you have to figure that you'll always have to go through a KL player.

Other one was either right before or right after the sets were reset. 3rd round.. juggle in the corner, PL had a breaker and a shred of life, REO had a full meter and and let his juggle get broken instead of X'ing and taking the match.

Like I said though, easy to be critical when I'm just watching... I guess that's why they play and not just run matches on auto pilot though. Congrats to PL and REO. Very well played.
yep, man, that's it .....

What is done, it's done. Both players, PL and Reo, when watching the finals video, maybe will even laugh, thinking "Jesus, how I could do that mistake ? Lol, this kind of stuff normally doesn't happen !!" and so, when you analyze calm , without pressure, what you did, you are able to figure out how to do better next time.

Be cool under pressure, being cold blood, knowing 100% how to respond to an attack, and, having the very minimum percentage of error during all matches, this, this is very hard to accomplish ...... the finals was played in very fast pace way, both players having to think and make decisions A LOT fast, so, this plus having a crowd watching, and knowing that thousands of people are on streams links too, it's tough to deal without none emotion (fear of losing, anxiety, frustration, concern, etc .....) ..... so, major props for both players for putting a very decent and nice finals, with good gameplay to watch.