What's new

Mileena General Discussion

I don't know why people are getting butt hurt by the retcon
Because people don't like change, and take ownership over the things they like, even when they don't actually own them. It's different than what they expected and for many people, this equals bad.

For me, I'm excited to see where they go with things.

Also, it's not a retcon as this is a whole new continuity. It is, however, a change.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Because people don't like change, and take ownership over the things they like, even when they don't actually own them. It's different than what they expected and for many people, this equals bad.
I don't think that's fair. People aren't annoyed because "change bad", I think they're annoyed because, for a lot of people, these characters that they've been a fans of are more than just a name and a moveset. These characters have had established personalities, stories, arcs, etc., so when a studio goes, "Hey, it's that character you like only totally different", I think it's understandable that some people don't like it.

You're right in that this isn't a retcon, but I think it's barely a step above it. Keeping the same character designs, but changing almost everything else about them gets a D- for effort. Bottom line is I'm interested to see where it goes, but asserting that people reacting negatively to the changes is just people saying "change bad" and being entitled is an unfair assessment of the situation.

People aren't annoyed because "change bad",
While the above is generalized and obviously doesn't cover everyone, I find such is often the truth. Not just in Mortal Kombat, but across any franchise.

these characters that they've been a fans of are more than just a name and a moveset.
I've been a fan of these characters since the original game first hit arcades. I love them all. Change is going to happen though, as it does with all things in life.

"Hey, it's that character you like only totally different"
They gave a public heads up saying things would be very different. It's not an unknown.

... but changing almost everything else about them gets a D- for effort.
Strongly disagree. This is, again, change = bad thinking. The product isn't even out yet and we haven't seen how it's all played out!

... and being entitled is an unfair assessment of the situation.
No, it's an observation that continues to demonstrate itself. Being entitled is complaining about the game's marketing and "not getting anything," when we just got a bloody playable build of the game.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
That's OK, they are keeping the classic traits and characteristics for her, just changing her background source origin ; anyway, I like that they are getting out a little bit of the "comfort zone" and changing some stuff here and there

Would be boring just repeating the same old thing that we already saw in previous games, over and over again ..... :D

Since is a new timelime, make a lot of sense to change some stuff, otherwise, would not be logical to change time in the first place .....

Mileena look fabulous and I cannot wait to see her participation in the story mode, and also, her gameplay breakdown ! :)

Would be boring just repeating the same old thing that we already saw in previous games, over and over again ..... :D
Bingo. From a developer and creative standpoint, re-hashing the exact same thing (or close enough) would get frustrating for the designers.

Fun fact: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon was supposed to actually kill everyone off, and Mortal Kombat 8 was going to be something with almost an entirely new roster. That obviously didn't happen, but showed even back in the mid-2000's, the developers wanted to do something new and fresh.

Doing the same thing over and over for decades burns you out.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
About the retcons, I'm more curious about how the whole Tarkat disease than anything else. Maybe Baraka will be patient zero for an epidemic that gives origin to the whole Tarkatan race? Or maybe Tarkatans are vampires now? There's so many questions.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Bingo. From a developer and creative standpoint, re-hashing the exact same thing (or close enough) would get frustrating for the designers.

Fun fact: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon was supposed to actually kill everyone off, and Mortal Kombat 8 was going to be something with almost an entirely new roster. That obviously didn't happen, but showed even back in the mid-2000's, the developers wanted to do something new and fresh.

Doing the same thing over and over for decades burns you out.
yep, that is a reason why, I'm think will be great to the see , if really true, a bunch of the 3D era characters, just rebuild, overhauled, and just coming now to interact with the classic characters, in a new timeline .....

This can open up room for new friendship, new alliance, new rivarly , new struggle, new conflicts and new social interactions among these characters that were not considered in the past of this franchise, I'm very excited to see if the writers can surprise us with this new proposal !

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I know they’re part of her design, I mean I’ll be disappointed if she has no attacks or cinematics etc using her teeth if the story means she hides them from sight at all times.
People who got to play a behind the scenes build of the game and see some new stuff said Mileena uses teeth in her fatality.

LeoMK29

Noob
About the retcons, I'm more curious about how the whole Tarkat disease than anything else. Maybe Baraka will be patient zero for an epidemic that gives origin to the whole Tarkatan race? Or maybe Tarkatans are vampires now? There's so many questions.
I get vibe that she might have been bitten by a tarkatan and it’s like you said a vampire like situation where she is turning into one. Seems kinda rude to call the tarkatans a disease but ‍♂ Lol

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah

For me, I'm excited to see where they go with things.

Also, it's not a retcon as this is a whole new continuity. It is, however, a change.
Thats a big over-generalization. They finally validated the Tarkatans in MKX by making them actual people. They weren't mutants anymore, they weren't demon fusions, but an actual race that had a realm. They had culture, customs, language.

And it feels like all of that is being forgotten, just so they can think of a new way for Mileena to get her teeth.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
They say the disease is lethal, very important detail. They all die from it, if we're meant to take that literally.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
as much as i don't want to sound rude, i like karen strassman more than kari wahlgren when it comes to kitana's & mileena's voice work.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Yeah I interpreted "lethal" to mean it makes them deranged and gives them lots of weaponizable mutations. They described her as being impulsive probably a bit unstable from the disease similar to the mental deterioration effects of Rabies or Syphilis. Unless Mileena devolves into looking just like Baraka, which I doubt, they could actually make the Tarkatans different and unique in designs as opposed to ALL looking exactly like Baraka. It could just be a nasty genetic mutation that gets labeled a "disease" by those without it. X-Men style. Everyone always looking for a "cure" for Mutants. They are exiled to Outworld's wasteland (here probably just a really awful desert since the world is "pretty") and forced to survive by becoming savage nomadic raiders. Baraka is their leader and Mileena joins them and becomes their Queen. In an intro with Liu Kang, Sub-Zero mentions Shang Tsung's experiments. Maybe Tsung intentionally infected/altered her as an infant to explain why she has a deformity/psychosis mutation while her biological twin does not. Turn the heir to the throne into a psycho with fangs to cause conflict and instability in a bid to seize power?

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Yeah I interpreted "lethal" to mean it makes them deranged and gives them lots of weaponizable mutations. They described her as being impulsive probably a bit unstable from the disease similar to the mental deterioration effects of Rabies or Syphilis. Unless Mileena devolves into looking just like Baraka, which I doubt, they could actually make the Tarkatans different and unique in designs as opposed to ALL looking exactly like Baraka. It could just be a nasty genetic mutation that gets labeled a "disease" by those without it. X-Men style. Everyone always looking for a "cure" for Mutants. They are exiled to Outworld's wasteland (here probably just a really awful desert since the world is "pretty") and forced to survive by becoming savage nomadic raiders. Baraka is their leader and Mileena joins them and becomes their Queen. In an intro with Liu Kang, Sub-Zero mentions Shang Tsung's experiments. Maybe Tsung intentionally infected/altered her as an infant to explain why she has a deformity/psychosis mutation while her biological twin does not. Turn the heir to the throne into a psycho with fangs to cause conflict and instability in a bid to seize power?
This. It would also not only NOT retcon anything (Tarkatans were always mutants/hybrids in the lore), but show how the Tarkatans come to be - either born from infected parents due to genetic heritage or made infected while living - while ALSO giving a new coat of paint to Kitana/Mileena rivalry.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
That’s a good point for sure. But the fact that the word lethal is attached to the disease specifically, and not what it does, kind of has me on the fence still. We’ll see soon enough though.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
This. It would also not only NOT retcon anything (Tarkatans were always mutants/hybrids in the lore), but show how the Tarkatans come to be - either born from infected parents due to genetic heritage or made infected while living - while ALSO giving a new coat of paint to Kitana/Mileena rivalry.
In MKX Tarkatans were retconned to be their own people. Baraka directly mentions, in the story mode, that Shao Kahn conquered his realm long ago.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
You know what would be sick?
If we kept getting trailers with Milly in it, but never got a breakdown for her, and then when the game finally came out, she was just an unplayable NPC that dies in the first 30 minutes to Dvorah.

God I should apply to NRS as lead writer.

They finally validated the Tarkatans in MKX by making them actual people. They weren't mutants anymore, they weren't demon fusions, but an actual race that had a realm. They had culture, customs, language.
The mentioning of a Realm was an error/retcon. We didn't see proper customs and culture until Mortal Kombat 11, after Kronika brought them back because Kotal went and genocides them. Not exactly what I'd call validation.

And it feels like all of that is being forgotten...
Perhaps Liu wasn't a big fan. He's not exactly innocent, and this is his timeline now.