What's new

Guide - Dragons Fire Liu Kang Guide: Dragon's Fire variation breakdown. (Outdated)

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Liu kang's dragon's fire variation IMO is hands down the best variation Liu has. He's got practically a safe fly kick, late MB specials that are great for combos and chase downs, and fireballs that recover pretty quick

Footsies/play style:
In this variation liu kang can control the neutral very well with low fireball. Its got pretty decent recover and could pressure the opponent enough to jump.

Liu Kang can bait jumps and anti air uppercut. IMO Liu Kang has one of the best uppercuts in the game. You can also make jump ins whiff and then punish them with a f44, OH b2 or grab. Armored moves like armored double kick are good for anti airs as well. Stay away from using armored dragons roar for anti airs because sometimes it whiff them and leaves you vulnerable for a punish. One unique asset to this variation is Liu's fireball cancels. Liu has ALOT of cancel strings that are plus on block. I'll get into which ones to use when and how to pressure later on.

Liu Kang does not have Kung Jin mixups with OH and Lows but he does have pressure mixups that are incredibly good and prolly on the same level of intensity as the 50/50s other characters have. Between his neutral strings like f21, b34, 111 and some of the cancels, liu can put crazy pressure on you and force you to press buttons or mash out armor moves which he can stuff for full combos.

Liu Kangs pressure and how to apply mixups:

First off let me give you the liu of fireball cancel strings that are plus on block. Note: every string I'm about to list grants at least a b34 followup afterwards. B34 is ~12 or 13 frame startup I believe? Its pretty slow but point is these cancel strings leave you at a significant advantage on block.

List of plus on block fireball RUN cancel strings:
B3
B34 (after second hit)
B34 (after third hit)
F213
F44
B33

I tested f4 after the 1st and 2nd hit but completely forgot if they were advantage.... I'll update this when I retest.

String that is advantage after a normal fireball DASH cancel:
F213

Now f213 is really special. It is the only fireball run cancel that is a true blockstring and also the only normal dash cancel that is plus on block.

Fireball run cancel strings that combo on hit:
F44
B12
B1
B3
B34 (after second hit)
F1
F12

Strings that are neutral on block:
F21
B34
If anymore I may have forgotten, I will update.

Now how to apply this pressure you may ask? Well Liu kang has a really really great normal that breaks pretty much every 1 hit absorbing armored moves. Key is to pressure them to death so you can get them to armor out and then when they attempt to do so, break it with b12 and get your combo. You can also pressure them on knockdown because b12 eats up their armored wakeup attacks

Pressure applications:

Like cage in MK9, liu pressure with lots of normals that are neutral on block and staggers some to bait players that react slow to mixups. However liu has meterless frame traps that can lock your opponent down.

Examples of pressure/mixup w explaination:

B34, f44 or b34 fireball cancel f44
How does this mixup work? You use a neutral on block string like b34 to pressure your opponent. It is fast on recovery and if your opponent hesitates, you can get the f44 off.

If they decide to try and interrupt you after b34 and you read them, you can fireball run cancel into f44 and you will stuff out any sort of poke or normal attack.

NOTE: When you condition your opponents on the frame traps, you can start grabbing or throwing out the overhead.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
NIce stuff curbo

also i dont know if anyone has realized this yet but it seems like Forward throws have weird properties and / or is slower than backthrow.. im not sure which it is but ive tested it with a few ppl. for whatever reason the forward throw is slower or the active hitbox on it is glitchy for whatever reason. also if you do f213 fb rc FThrow to fast it will wiff, whereas backthrow wont

Last edited:

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Liu kang's dragon's fire variation IMO is hands down the best variation Liu has. He's got practically a safe fly kick, late MB specials that are great for combos and chase downs, and fireballs that recover pretty quick

Footsies/play style:
In this variation liu kang can control the neutral very well with low fireball. Its got pretty decent recover and could pressure the opponent enough to jump.

Liu Kang can bait jumps and anti air uppercut. IMO Liu Kang has one of the best uppercuts in the game. You can also make jump ins whiff and then punish them with a f44, OH b2 or grab. Armored moves like armored double kick are good for anti airs as well. Stay away from using armored dragons roar for anti airs because sometimes it whiff them and leaves you vulnerable for a punish. One unique asset to this variation is Liu's fireball cancels. Liu has ALOT of cancel strings that are plus on block. I'll get into which ones to use when and how to pressure later on.

Liu Kang does not have Kung Jin mixups with OH and Lows but he does have pressure mixups that are incredibly good and prolly on the same level of intensity as the 50/50s other characters have. Between his neutral strings like f21, b34, 111 and some of the cancels, liu can put crazy pressure on you and force you to press buttons or mash out armor moves which he can stuff for full combos.

First off let me give you the liu of fireball cancel strings that are plus on block. Note: every string I'm about to list grants at least a b34 followup afterwards. B34 is ~12 or 13 frame startup I believe? Its pretty slow but point is these cancel strings leave you at a significant advantage on block.

B3
B34 (after second hit)
B34 (after third hit)
F213
F44
B33

I tested f4 after the 1st and 2nd hit but completely forgot if they were advantage.... I'll update this when I retest.

F213

Now f213 is really special. It is the only fireball run cancel that is a true blockstring and also the only normal dash cancel that is plus on block.

F44
B12
B1
B3
B34 (after second hit)
F1
F12

F21
B34

Now how to apply this pressure you may ask? Well Liu kang has a really really great normal that breaks pretty much every 1 hit absorbing armored moves. Key is to pressure them to death so you can get them to armor out and then when they attempt to do so, break it with b12 and get your combo. You can also pressure them on knockdown because b12 eats up their armored wakeup attacks

Pressure applications:

Like cage in MK9, liu pressure with lots of normals that are neutral on block and staggers some to bait players that react slow to mixups. However liu has meterless frame traps that can lock your opponent down.

How does this mixup work? You use a neutral on block string like b34 to pressure your opponent. It is fast on recovery and if your opponent hesitates, you can get the f44 off.

If they decide to try and interrupt you after b34 and you read them, you can fireball run cancel into f44 and you will stuff out any sort of poke or normal attack.

NOTE: When you condition your opponents on the frame traps, you can start grabbing or throwing out the overhead.
My concern is - what if your opponent is super patient and just keeps blocking low until you run out of stamina? You may get an overhead or throw in there but that's paltry damage compared to the 50/50s in this game. Seems like Liu's offense doesn't stack up that well against the truly strong characters?

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
My concern is - what if your opponent is super patient and just keeps blocking low until you run out of stamina? You may get an overhead or throw in there but that's paltry damage compared to the 50/50s in this game. Seems like Liu's offense doesn't stack up that well against the truly strong characters?
They take chip, You are safe, you build a bar. He just mauls you on hit or not.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Liking the guide, although have to disagree with your statement about his d2. It is quite unreliable in my experience and often gets stuffed. It doesn't have a very big hitbox and I've had it whiff on some jumpins before.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
They take chip, You are safe, you build a bar. He just mauls you on hit or not.
Yeah and I agree that's nice / not bad at all. Just arguably not as strong as a lot of other offense in the game. I'd take safe unseeable 50/50s over this pressure any day.

But I guess it's fine, not everyone can be top tier. Just wish we had some top tier characters that didn't rely on safe 50/50s in this game.

Again I'm not saying Liu is bad, he may even be high tier. I just wish there was a pressure or pure zoning character in the *top* tier that didn't rely on 50/50s. Be nice to have more diversity of play style. Say what you want about injustice but at least it's top 5-8 characters all had dramatically different play styles, strengths, and weaknesses. For example we had a defensive footsie base character w no mix ups, a counter zoning in your face 50/50 character, a zoning character w full screen mix ups but bad normals and wakeups, etc.

Last edited:

Lone

KHAOTIC
Yeah and I agree that's nice / not bad at all. Just arguably not as strong as a lot of other offense in the game. I'd take safe unseeable 50/50s over this pressure any day.

But I guess it's fine, not everyone can be top tier. Just wish we had some top tier characters that didn't rely on safe 50/50s in this game.

Again I'm not saying Liu is bad, he may even be high tier. I just wish there was a pressure/pure zoning character in the *top* tier that didn't rely on 50/50s. Be nice to have more diversity of play style. Say what you want about injustice but at least it's top 5-8 characters all had dramatically different play styles, strengths, and weaknesses. For example we had a defensive footsie base character w no mix ups, a counter zoning in your face 50/50 character, a zoning character w full screen mix ups but bad normals and wakeups, etc.

I think that's a fair assessment as of now. Pointing out the stamina usage is very true. The evolution of the game will tell how good he is. Imo, Liu and others are knives vs swords so to speak, but that's just how I see it now. Still a cool, solid character though.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Then you'll eat chip. And liu will gain meter.

AssassiN

Noob
Flame fist has pretty decent zoning. Prolly better then dragons fire. Idk who I'd use flame fist for tho Tbh. Dragons fire fireballs are still really good and his cancels make him crazy.
Well, Flame Fist's low fireball goes under certain projectiles while you can't do that in Dragon's Fire(Dragon Fire will go underneath Reptile's spit, but that's the only one I know off). For example against Kano's knives in Commando you can't go under his knives with Dragon's Fire, while you can do that in Flame Fist.
I think it's a good idea to learn Flame Fist as well, will be useful in certain MU's.

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
Hey bro i have a few questions about the frame traps.

From my testing, i have not been able to get the run cancels to be THAT plus other than F213. Because if what your are saying is true then after any one of those strings into FB RC the opponents cannot even armor if your follow up is within those plus frames. Ive set the cpu to reversal and they armor through. So i figured maybe they are in the range of +1-+3ish.

So is there something im missing? Is it that you have to maybe do a perfect RC to get those frames?
Id like to think im am pretty good but i have not been able to get that much plus frames frim anything other than F213.

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Hey bro i have a few questions about the frame traps.

From my testing, i have not been able to get the run cancels to be THAT plus other than F213. Because if what your are saying is true then after any one of those strings into FB RC the opponents cannot even armor if your follow up is within those plus frames. Ive set the cpu to reversal and they armor through. So i figured maybe they are in the range of +1-+3ish.

So is there something im missing? Is it that you have to maybe do a perfect RC to get those frames?
Id like to think im am pretty good but i have not been able to get that much plus frames frim anything other than F213.
F213 fb rc is the only thing that jails. Any other string that is plus on block is only about +2.

XAlcarazX

"Death will reveal the truth"

Footsies/play style:

B3
B34 (after second hit)
B34 (after third hit)
F213
F44
B33

F213

F44
B12
B1
B3
B34 (after second hit)
F1
F12

F21
B34

Pressure applications:

if your on x1 we should do a couple of matches, only other good liu I've played so far was superiormagik