What's new

General/Other - Dualist Liu Kang: Dualist General Discussion

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I'm curious to know what Dualist mains think about the variation at this point.
Is it worth learning when I've been playing DF since the game came out?

@AK L0rdoftheFLY
@FOREVER EL1TE
@Derptile
@Phosferrax
@XBlades
Dualist is extremely fun and satisfying to play as. He's obviously no where near Dragon's Fire's level but I think he's a little bit worse or just as good as Flame Fist, still every DF or FF player should give Dualist a chance. Those stance cancel and dark orb setups are hype.

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
@AssassiN Dualist is good. I was quick to dismiss it, and ultimately it doesn't do much that DF doesn't aside from hard to block-ables, but it is good.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I'm curious to know what Dualist mains think about the variation at this point.
Is it worth learning when I've been playing DF since the game came out?

@AK L0rdoftheFLY
@FOREVER EL1TE
@Derptile
@Phosferrax
@XBlades
For the fun of the game...learn it.

For winning tournaments...stick with DF.

Dualist is low tier in this game. Better than goro but worse than kenshi reptile and Ferra torr.

The hype is real though.

AssassiN

Noob
@Phosferrax
I was quick to dismiss it as well, just wondering if I made a mistake with that.

I'll hit up training mode and see what I can find with it. I've spent a little bit with it in training mode at the start of the game and felt gimmicky to me.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
  • Give EX red orb same block advantage as EX light ball (would give a massive advantage on wake up game);
  • Make his Yin buff not disappear after getting 1 hit (at least at level 1 and 2, but I think level 3 would be justified as well, because charging the buff takes forever and is impossible to do in a real match, like literally impossible to lvl 3 and even if you did, the risk isn't worth it, because you will loose the buff very quick because of grab, 1 hit or kombo breaker);
Then I think he might do well on tournaments. Of course I might add that his light balls should be as fast as Dragon's Fire fire balls, but that would be insane I guess.

AssassiN

Noob
Quick question, how many of you get the buff in a match and actually be able to use it?
Whether it is for pressure or damage, talking about playing against capable players not randoms.

Just doesn't seem worth trying to get the buff when it disappears so easily.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
Quick question, how many of you get the buff in a match and actually be able to use it?
Whether it is for pressure or damage, talking about playing against capable players not randoms.

This is exactly why it should be buffed, because right now it is absolutely pointless in real match, but imagine if the buff remained just like Shaolin Flame in FF, Dualist would be insane. If only...

OR AT THE VERY LEAST give him EX Yin buff charge that instantly gives him level 3 with recovery similar to EX Shaolin Flame.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash

Some one posted a video of where you could end combos with B33/B34 and charge it up for a decent amount(maybe 1/3 or 1/2 way). When I would play Dualist I'd end combos with B2 after FBF4, do an Orb and Charge, most of the time the opponent respects it due to the lack of MU knowledge which is fine for now.

Last edited:

AssassiN

Noob
Some one posted a video of where you could end combos with B33/B34 and charge it up for a decent amount(maybe 1/3 or 1/2 way). When I would play Dualist I'd end combos with B2 after FBF4, do an Orb and Charge, most of the time the opponent respects it due to the lack of MU which is fine for now.
In other words, a gimmick :p.
You can charge it like that a little bit, but as soon you block something it's gone. Whether they interrupt any attempts at orb setups or just wake-up with something.

I have this setup that lets me charge up to level 2 safely in the corner but the point is most people see 113 string coming so they block it, leaves me minus cause I have to think of not losing my buff. The other option is use the buff for pressure but f213 orb is not a block string. So, I don't really see the point or else u just believe it would work.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
One more thing why Yin buff should not disappear after getting 1 hit is not only because it takes forever to have an opporunity to get lvl3 in real match, but also because the entire point of Dualist is to play with DD1 as a pressure tool, which nullifies the buff once you switch back to Yang. That been said, you have to remain in Yin stance in order to give your charged buff the usage it needs and the massive damage it provides. So with all limitations the Yin buff already has would make it not disappear after 1 hit justice to this variation.

It would make Dualist a beast if the Yin buff remained with Yang stance as well, but that's a wishiful thinking. Just like dreaming about EX instant lvl3 charge or Yin buff not disappearing after getting 1 hit.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
-Fix his Yin and Yang charges. PPJ was talking about how both, especially Yang are aren't very good in their current state and with Stance Switches being so important for Dualist it only makes them worse.
-Make some of his Stance switch combos link easier(Why B12 xx SS F44 is a 1 frame link while DF has B12 FBRC being +5 on block I'll never know)
-Give him Bicycle kick MB like Dragon's Fire

Those are the changes I'd give him. He obviously isn't a typical MKX character so balancing him is kinda iffy.

Last edited:

I can get the buff in a match. Level 1 buffs are safe and should be used whenever. Level 2 buffs require setups. Between level 2-3 is a 50/50, because some/most characters can't punish level 2 but can punish level 3. So they have to guess which level you'll do. Like if Quan Chi woke up with trance, it'll catch a lvl 3 charge. But not a level two charge.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Most of the time, the damage buff is not my priority, but I might go for it after ending a launch combo into f213. Most people will throw a projectile and then I use ex flying kick to put them into the corner and deal 15% with full charge.

It is pretty hard to get, so it could use charging a little faster. Defintely should still disappear on hit.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Wish f1 stance change was easier to do. Nets much better damage for damage for tight punishes, but it's not going to happen on pad.

Mpizz10

Liu Kang and The Flash mains
I feel that dualist really needs light projectiles to be same speed as his other variations only benefit of the light stance is that ex projectile for pressure. Zoning is terrible. And yeah the healing and damage buff are completely useless as of now I agree with everything @GreatKungLao said. You can set up a slight damage buff but it goes away when you do your normal pressure with stance switch, however if these buffs were maid I think it could possibly be better than dragon fire

Hey guys, everyone is aware that f213 dd1 can be back-dashed and if u follow with another f213, the 3 hits giving Liu the opportunity cancel. BBBBBUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT what about double back-dash??? :( I only tested this against kotal and it equals death for Liu. Kotal can just f2 after the back-dashing and get his 44% 1bar. Sadly Dualist is not as strong as we all thing:(. I believe dualist's power lies in the corner(its demonic in the corner).

I have played a lot of people online that know they can back-dash but for some reasons they only try it once in a match. Also u can read the back-dash, run and 113. Dualist doesn't always guarantee pressure, Its sometimes based on reads.

Last edited: