What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang Liu Kang 8-31-2015 Patch Notes

• Liu kang - Reduced the cancel advantage Towards+BP,FP,FK on block by 5 frames
  • Liu kang (Flame Fists) - Removed a gap before the last hit for Windmill Flurry and reduced its cancel advantage by 4
  • Liu kang (Dragon Fire) - Must be in the Dragon Fire held loop for 4 frames before you can dash cancel out of it when opponent is in block stun
  • Liu kang (Dualist) - Solar Flare, Low Solar Flare, & Air Solar Flare no longer trigger autoblock
  • Liu kang (Dualist) - Removed 5 recovery frames from Solar Flare and Low Solar Flare and 10 recovery frames from air Solar Flare
  • Liu kang (Dualist) - Removed 7 recovery frames on Light / Dark Metamorphosis
Source: http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Latest-Updates/Patch-Notes-8-31-2015/ba-p/756091
Thoughts?

Dualist is now viable, I guess.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
So Dragons Fire pressure was slowed down, and dualist (My main and FAVORITE variation in the game by far) was sped up.

Hopefully there are some hidden buffs to go along with the changes too, like some of his normals hitting more consistently.

Lone

KHAOTIC
In combination with the advantage from F213 being lessened, I don't know the reasoning for adding more frames to dash cancel out of the fireball.

Also, does that 4 frame hold affect the run cancel in any way? Going to test all the run cancels worth doing when the patch drops vs Cassie's Flipkick and other fast reversals.

Last edited:

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
Yeah that 4f hold mixed with the 5f decrease of f213 has the potential to be detrimental now that I have time to think about it.

Think about it like this -

Foxy actually clarified the frame data for me in another thread but you are essentially losing 9-10f right off the top on your f213 pressure. 4f hold for dash (remember you technically dash before running so unless NRS figured out how to truly separate the two, this will affect all RC's too) and 5f patch nerf to f213.

You figure f213 fbrc is roughly, what, +20ish? So it'll end up being in the neighborhood of +10-12 now...which pretty much hamstrings his main pressure tool pretty severely if this plays out the way I'm thinking. Any 9f poke would break pressure, as well as any fast armor string.

And since it's a 4f universal hold, you basically need to chop off 4 frames from every fbc string right off the gate. Which would mean bye bye f44 fbrc f44 :(

***EDIT: only 4f hold when in block stun so you can still combo with fbrc and build meter which is still good I guess.

I really hope I'm just being paranoid. This is a dealbreaker. Only silver lining was that on the stream Paulo was saying that "this doesn't mean LK doesn't have his pressure strings, they're still all there we just eliminated the dash cancel loop."

The notes project otherwise...

Last edited:

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
i hope it doesnt take a 1 frame link to jail the opponent with f213 dfrc f213
i hope they fixed his fbf4 (shaolin fist) to not whiff in ducking opponents (against ducking kano almost every hit of fbf4 whiffed)

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
DF is still good after this. F44 FBRC looks like it will still plus but doesn't jail into a followup, f213 fbrc may still jail, f213 fbdc is not plus anymore thank god so the bullshit is gone.

Nearly all of his run cancels look like they'll still be plus, so you won't have to change your game up too much. Just adjust your timing and understand your options to counter backdashing/armour.

DF now will have to think during their pressure.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
So are they taking out the easy looping/guaranteed blockstrings in the game? I can get behind that. It'd still be scary to be put in a mind game where I might have to spend meter to get out.

If LK does any of his usual normals after any of his usual cancels is there a certain speed that an opponent can poke out of? Or is it only armor?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
DF is still good after this. F44 FBRC looks like it will still plus but doesn't jail into a followup, f213 fbrc may still jail, f213 fbdc is not plus anymore thank god so the bullshit is gone.

Nearly all of his run cancels look like they'll still be plus, so you won't have to change your game up too much. Just adjust your timing and understand your options to counter backdashing/armour.

DF now will have to think during their pressure.
It's actually on par with dualist pre patch...in fact dualist pressure might even be better but with a worse projectile.

Ahhhh and the force had balance

Really there is no telling how good dualist is yet. They took off 7-8 frames of recovery off his cs combos. All that extensive research I did and I only wanted like 2-3 frames but they gave us 7. That could be huge!

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
It's actually on par with dualist pre patch...in fact dualist pressure might even be better but with a worse projectile.

Ahhhh and the force had balance

Really there is no telling how good dualist is yet. They took off 7-8 frames of recovery off his cs combos. All that extensive research I did and I only wanted like 2-3 frames but they gave us 7. That could be huge!
Dualist could be fucked after the patch. 7f is huge!

Interesting to see how it all pans out... Needing to have frame perfect execution to make b12 fbrc plus in DF is a bit rough.

The thing with Dualist's pressure is that out of his SS plus strings he'll only get small damage on a right read midscreen, so DF could still have the edge on it there. DF should hopefully expand with the use of stagger pressure into meterless confirms still, and it still has it's get in for free card with flying kick mb.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Dualist could be fucked after the patch. 7f is huge!

Interesting to see how it all pans out... Needing to have frame perfect execution to make b12 fbrc plus in DF is a bit rough.

The thing with Dualist's pressure is that out of his SS plus strings he'll only get small damage on a right read midscreen, so DF could still have the edge on it there. DF should hopefully expand with the use of stagger pressure into meterless confirms still, and it still has it's get in for free card with flying kick mb.
Yea your right but b12 ss f44 bk is a game changer mid screen. He was only +6-8 after f213 pre patch and they took away 7 frames of recovery on SS. It's (in theory) still the same pressure then but now he can also hit confirm way better.

Omg omg omg dualist bandwagon starts in 3...2...1 go.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
Hmm, well Stance Switching is much easier to execute than Fireball Canceling, so if Dualist becomes the go to variation I guess it's whatever. Kind of sad to think of all the time I spent getting down Liu's FBRCs, but on the upside Dualist may open up in options and all of us that grinded the FBRCs hardcore can always hop onto Johnny and D'Vorah if we want great pressure that way.

Silver linings.

Dualist actually might be really good without being as broken as DF was. Yeah, I'm sad DF is pathetic in this patch but whatever, TYM asked for the nerfs.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Hmm, well Stance Switching is much easier to execute than Fireball Canceling, so if Dualist becomes the go to variation I guess it's whatever. Kind of sad to think of all the time I spent getting down Liu's FBRCs, but on the upside Dualist may open up in options and all of us that grinded the FBRCs hardcore can always hop onto Johnny and D'Vorah if we want great pressure that way.

Silver linings.
dualist gonna have insane pressure. possibly better than pre patch df
DF still has that low fireball and iafb plus that insane damage. Dualist is the pressure / set up version. DF is jack of all trades and FF is jack of all trades but chip focussed/zoning with a buff. They finally got it right.

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
Yeah if DF is nerfed as bad as it sounds then I'll for sure be looking at dualist after these changes. Still holding out hope that DF will only lose dash cancel advantage because of how adamant the guys sounded on the stream saying he retained all his pressure tools in DF minus the dash loops after f213. I'm totally okay with taking away dash cancel advantage, as that was 100% unfair.

The fbrc's take execution to pull off too so it's not braindead by any stretch. Hell more often than not I wouldn't even go for a second one, I would use the cancel pressure to mix up my attacks. Without it, then, what is Dragon's Fire? Iafb's and low fireballs? Can get that with Flame Fist plus crazy buff damage. Also Dragon's Fire doesn't have Lao type meter less damage either. Any combo worth its salt requires at least one bar and that's where the fbrc's come in most handy - to build back meter.