What's new

Li Mei General Discussion

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Is there a secret to making multiple lanterns happen because I can’t seem to make it work in convos with scope or sub
So we can only get two lanterns in a combo since Beta. But the trick is usually to already have one out and then cancel a string into another one.

So for instance, if you're doing B34 you want to immediately go into db2. Don't add a pause and separate the inputs.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Is there a secret to making multiple lanterns happen because I can’t seem to make it work in convos with scope or sub
The first lantern has to have left your hand before hitting the opponent. Otherwise, there’s a 2-3s cool-down before you can call another lantern.

After two lanterns, the third lantern has a different hit reaction that causes a knockdown.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
I'm a kung lao kameo loyalist because I love what he does for the neutral game. I use him with cage, li mei, lui kang, mileena. However, i see the value in scorpion kameo because he increases Li Mei's damage off of b3 from around 22% to around 40%, and increases damage off every combo using ex fireball.

because she's plus up close on so many strings i use, i find myself rarely using lao hat on block string. its basically a security blanket / zoning tool for me. Given that her neutral game/zoning is great without lao hat, she may be in the unique position to still have an effective neutral game without low hat, unlike many other characters in the game.

i'm still torn, but i think im going to switch to scorp kameo for the time being and see if i can make due in the neutral without low hat.

thoughts?

edit: was getting out zoned by sub/sareena and shao/kung lao when i used scorpion kameo lol. low hat is just too good

Last edited:

Syzoth

thoughts?
I'm a big fan of Kung Lao as a Kameo choice. He gives you a plus option on a blocked 124, has a little mixup check with f4, low hat and when you hold the low hat you get a mostly safe lantern on screen. He's probably the best option. I'm also a big fan of Sektor. Using his missiles on people who love to poke or armor through gaps.

Hitting a second lantern in this specific sequence causes some weird camera glitch where it like zooms in for a second. But anyway the point is Scorpion d+k can combo off backthrow with lantern up. Works anywhere on the screen if the spacing is right but they can't walk away from lantern if they're cornered so lantern is much more likely to get them to sit still. Scales pretty hard but could be a decent okie doke to end a round.

rifraf

Noob
I've been wondering about this for quite some time. Is Ashrah a better Li Mei?

They're both mid-range zoners but Ashrah can control the space much more effectively. Li Mei has lantern for air control which is an amazing tool and she also gets a slightly better close-range game due to her b34. Ashrah on the other hand, has amazing mid-range tools for days and most of them have pushback. Put it simply, you won't get in on Ashrah unless she allows you to.

Now that some time has passed since the game is out, I feel Li Mei is missing some oomph. I would love to see her mid-range game buffed to Ashrah's level. They could start by giving some pushback and staggers in some of her moves. Seeing all the nerfs lately, I'm not holding my breath though :(

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I've been wondering about this for quite some time. Is Ashrah a better Li Mei.
There may be some resemblances, but Ashrah is clearly designed to dominate the mid range game. Li Mei, on the other hand, is not, which is why she has stubby buttons. She does have a full-screen projectile and a mid yet unsafe version of Ashrah's f+2 in b,f+4.

While I do believe that Ashrah is the superior character, Li Mei players should watch RIF Scorpion's performance at Blink Respawn, a tournament that happened in the Dominican Republic over the weekend. He placed third and made Li Mei look like a top 10 character with his zoning, pressure, and conversions. Li Mei/Scorpion seems like the go-to team because of the damage output, which must be the highest that I have seen in this version of the game. I am motivated to try this team again.

rifraf

Noob
There may be some resemblances, but Ashrah is clearly designed to dominate the mid range game. Li Mei, on the other hand, is not, which is why she has stubby buttons. She does have a full-screen projectile and a mid yet unsafe version of Ashrah's f+2 in b,f+4.

While I do believe that Ashrah is the superior character, Li Mei players should watch RIF Scorpion's performance at Blink Respawn, a tournament that happened in the Dominican Republic over the weekend. He placed third and made Li Mei look like a top 10 character with his zoning, pressure, and conversions. Li Mei/Scorpion seems like the go-to team because of the damage output, which must be the highest that I have seen in this version of the game. I am motivated to try this team again.
If she's not a mid-range zoner then what is she? The next thing that comes to mind, considering her kit, is an all-rounder that can play everywhere on screen but excel nowhere. It's true that she can dominate during matches if you let her. She's not a weak character, but I feel she could benefit from some extra sauce, especially in her mid-range game.

Syzoth

If she's not a mid-range zoner then what is she? The next thing that comes to mind, considering her kit, is an all-rounder.
Well she's plenty stubby for a zoner but you can certainly control the opponent with lanterns and Nova blasts on occasion.

I would describe her as a versatile character. She has more plus frames on block than most characters though she lacks much to do with it. She has great conversions. Options for most situations. Shame there's a gap in everything that matters with her honestly.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
She's not a weak character, but I feel she could benefit from some extra sauce, especially in her mid-range game.
I would say that the damage output with Scorpion is the "extra sauce". Currently, she is arguably the most damaging character in the game.

Beeides, if Li Mei had Ashrah's normal attacks, she would easily be the best character in the game.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!

I mean I think Li Mei is verrrry underated. Have been saying for ages she’s super strong.

If you want zoning/space control, Li Mei/Lao is the way to go. I think I prefer scorpion kameo though because of the conversions you get.

Li Mei scorpion is hitting 400+ for one bar and kameo and that’s not using the optimals.

If they just closed some of her gaps (not the ones leading to plus frames, but the random ones in strings; ie. 4321, 124, b21) she would be so much better.

Regardless, she has amazing damage, good 50/50s, decent space control, good projectile, fastest punish in the game (almost the most damaging); I think she’s being slept on.

BKV2

BloodRayne for MK1
I mean I think Li Mei is verrrry underated. Have been saying for ages she’s super strong.

If you want zoning/space control, Li Mei/Lao is the way to go. I think I prefer scorpion kameo though because of the conversions you get.

Li Mei scorpion is hitting 400+ for one bar and kameo and that’s not using the optimals.

If they just closed some of her gaps (not the ones leading to plus frames, but the random ones in strings; ie. 4321, 124, b21) she would be so much better.

Regardless, she has amazing damage, good 50/50s, decent space control, good projectile, fastest punish in the game (almost the most damaging); I think she’s being slept on.
What are you using to whiff punish the most ? I feel like it’s situational. Sometimes I try DB3 but I get hit out of it. F4 is okay but the range is iffy

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
How do you do EX d,b+3 to Scorpion's far flame?
I play on a leverless controller so it might be a bit different.

The input is essentially
down, back, 3+block+kameo+up

I posted a video not that long ago when the cyrax nerf patch came out. I’ll find it.
What are you using to whiff punish the most ? I feel like it’s situational. Sometimes I try DB3 but I get hit out of it. F4 is okay but the range is iffy
iadb4(ex) or bf4 or db3

b2/b3/f4 are also good.

EDIT:

It’s really consistent, even in neutral not off a reversal. For a reversal the timing is even easier.

Last edited:
Lantern can stop any kameo call where they come down from the air and non-ambush calls can get punished. From my brief testing this is what it can hit:

Goro-gets dumpstered because he comes from the air for all his moves
Sektor-tele punch and missile
Frost-neutral kameo and hold neutral kameo
Sonya-if they make a really bad square wave call she'll get hit
Jax-back breaker can jump into it however useful that is

rifraf

Noob
Following NRS' stream today, they proved willing to introduce new moves post launch. In this occasion, Darius got a new move.

Now, I thought in a what if scenario; what move would you give Li Mei if you had the chance?
For me it would be EX Lantern. Costs 1 bar, it does more dmg than regular lantern and explodes before disappearing, launching the opponent if hit. Could be good for pressure and would do more dmg in combos.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I would rather have them just close some of the gaps in her stings. Her moveset is already pretty complete IMO.

rifraf

Noob
String gaps are good for counterplay and provide interesting gameplay. If anything, I wish more characters had string gaps. If JC had more string gaps for example, there could be more counterplay to his pressure. Instead, he dashes forward mindlessly and forces his strings.

Let's say we remove all string gaps from the game. Where would that lead us? Would it really be fun spamming b34, 124 and 214?