What's new

Ladies and Gentleman...the hype is real! You know why?

Have you observed MK fans in public places getting FU*KING HYPE!

• yes

Votes: 39 48.8%
  • no

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • shut up and give me KTF

Votes: 25 31.3%

• Total voters

Hades

Noob
And here i am in new zealand where hardly anyone knows shit about mortal kombat... For some reason tekken is the biggest fighting game here by far,mshit everyone and there mother played tekken at one point here

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The Hype is indeed Real.
Old MK Trilogy players are hyped for the game as well, people who enter only on MK9 early events are keeping a close eye too the news and everything going on too.

I hear on the gaming circuit others players really interested in the game, and the most funny thing, they all are keeping tabs with me because i like to explain things into detail, they're calling me "The Professor" i can see the motivation and willing to learn, those first tournaments will be pretty hype, specially if i lose the earliest tournaments.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Like 8 of us are meeting tomorrow at 6pm there and if they are too busy (because they had 2200 people signing up to attend opening night I heard on Facebook) we will check out the place then head down the street to taco mac a mile away to all catch up w one another and discuss plans for MKx
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info.

And I plan on coming to as many MKX BnBs as I possibly can. I only got in at the tail end of MK9 (as far as coming to bnb) and I didn't care for injustice so... I'm planning on rectifying that and hopefully being better at MKX than I was at MK9.

Sgt Reed should be a regular there!

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Good stuff, Fly <3. I've been seeing and hearing a lot more friends than usual getting excited beyond usual compare and it's fantastic.

Think about this, friends and fellow Kombatants...we're about to have the spotlight of the scene, but this may be the time where we fight in force vast enough to keep us from ever having to giving it back.
Neither time nor change wait for any man. If ever there was a time to shift the paradigms of power for good, it'd be now.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
Well, since MK is banned in Germany no one really talks about it at all except like... two of my friends, but only because I showed them MK9 and now they wanna get into MKX. I wish it wasn't banned, I want a tournament scene for it so bad. :( But it's great to hear people are talking about it outside of the FGC and TYM.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Well, since MK is banned in Germany no one really talks about it at all except like... two of my friends, but only because I showed them MK9 and now they wanna get into MKX. I wish it wasn't banned, I want a tournament scene for it so bad. :( But it's great to hear people are talking about it outside of the FGC and TYM.
That's a major bummer.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
LOL this never happens to me. People either look at me like a nostalgic fan boy or they get afraid at how much I know about the series (lore wise) and scurry away. I've never had an in depth conversation with them.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
So our office staff got complemented with a new girl recently. During a break we all were discussing something about different people and I made a remark about some random person, basically along the lines of "she has a constitution of a fighter or at least of a bicycle rider, kinda reminds me of certain character from one Japanese piece of work". Well, the new girl instantly deduced that I'm talking about Chun Li.

Figuring out closet nerds in each other, we've had second round the next day during a break, discussing different topics about media and poking fun at hapless co-workers who had misfortune to be nearby.

Someone else: "I'm not sure what is this all about. Maybe we should talk about something else?"
Her: "Like, Mortal Kombat?"
Me: "New one is coming, by the way."
Her: "Yeah, MKX. When's release anyway?"
Me: "April, 14 apparently."
Someone else: "...aaand I still have no bloody idea what is this you two are talking about."

Well, now if MK topic arises, it's not me who starts it :D
Although to be fair, I prefer to spare people who aren't into the thing of listening to stuff like this, so don't look at me this funny ;)

Things have been happening lately in the world of MK if you haven't noticed. The hype building up to every MK game is always huge but this time, it feels different and I know why. Its not just a feeling...it IS different.

To show how it is different I will post two stories. One I mentioned in another thread but I'll tell it again anyways with more detail. The other happened just today and inspired me to make this thread.

Story 1:
I'm at work on a normal office day when the 40 year old we just hired asks a few of us if we ever heard of Mortal Kombat. I kind of laugh out loud which to him probably seemed rude but if he only knew my obsession, he would laugh at his question too. The other guys sitting around the same table all said

"yea that game is fun." "I played it as a kid."

I kept my mouth shut for fear of killing their hype. It was fun to talk about MK with guys in person that I normally only talk business with. It was more fun them not knowing how much I love this game.

The moment passes, we all get back to work, and later I walk past a completely different persons desk who wasn't even around the initial conversation we had earlier that day. I look at his screen and see no other than STEVE BROWNBACK. I did a double take as I watched him watch Steve talk about his love for Kitana. After the video ended, he noticed I was watching and started making fun of Steve a little for his obsession as he played it a second time. At that point I let the cat out of the bag and said

"Yea that guy is Steve Brownback and he is one of the most well know competitive MK players in the world."

He looked surprised as I spoke as if I actually knew this guy. I went on to tell him all about MK, tournaments, my history, and his mouth dropped open. He was super impressed that I knew him. I became the most popular guy in the office that day all thanks to @GGA 16 Bit

Story 2:
Its Saturday and I had a bunch of errands to run. I get dressed as I pound a cup of coffee and head to the gym. I do my workout, take a shower and get dressed in other cloths to go out and get stuff done. I had decided to wear a simple pair of jeans, and the "Keep Calm and Finish Him" shirt @Pig Of The Hut brought me back from the MK side tournament at EVO last year. (gracias amigo).

As I walk out of the locker room, someone heading in stops, reads my shirt out loud and says

"Is that a Mortal Kombat shirt?"

I replied

"yes it is! A new game comes out next month you know?"

He replies

"I know, I already preordered it and can't wait. Did you see Jason Voorhees is in it?

After a quick and fun dialogue, about Jason and Cassie Cage (lol) I get to the parking lot where someone else looks at my shirt and says to me

"Mortal Kombat...ALRIGHT!"

and gives me a fist bump. I have no idea who he was.

After a couple errands checked off my list, I get to Trader Joe's to pick up some last minute groceries and the best beef jerky that I love so very much. (Shout out to @flipkev 's home made stuff but their shit is great!). I get in line and a guy comes out from the back walks over to me and says

"come over here. I like your shirt. Where you get that? Here let me open up a new register so you don't have to wait in line. "

I swear to God. He didn't even let others in line behind me. We talked about EVO, Killer Instinct, Tournaments and then he called over his buddy to talk about it some more. Mean while one of them started to get super hype. He start jumping up and down saying how excited he was and just kept getting more and more hype.

story 2 in summary:
One day...4 MK references to my shirt
Characters mentioned...Cassie, Johnny, Jason, Freddy, cyborgs (i'll allow it),
Quotes said..."Get over here" "gotcha!"
Fist bumps...2 out of 4

You want to know why the hype is real? It's because it is not just us on the internet anymore. It's complete strangers coming up to you on the street, and its even your fucking grocer!

MK9 was hype but NOBODY was talking about it that way they are talking about MKX.

GET READY TYM.

P.S. Thanks for letting me share. I thought this was freaking awesome.

P.P.S Official announcement for Battle and Brew. They had there grand opening last night (I couldn't go but am going with Pig and others tomorrow night). They have a huge new bar and it is off the hook. In time this will mean more BnB tournaments like the old MK9 days. Atlanta is back baby!
Just shut up.

Geochron

Noob
I live in Columbus and I can definitely see way more interest in the local scene here than there was for MK9. There are a lot of players that are getting MKX that didn't even play MK9. Some of them even getting new consoles just to start playing. I'm seriously more hype about it than I've ever been for any game, and for the first time I seriously want to be the best at it. I'm gonna be training like it's a second job and going to way more majors.