What's new

Ladies and Gentleman...the hype is real! You know why?

Have you observed MK fans in public places getting FU*KING HYPE!

• yes

Votes: 39 48.8%
  • no

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • shut up and give me KTF

Votes: 25 31.3%

• Total voters

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Things have been happening lately in the world of MK if you haven't noticed. The hype building up to every MK game is always huge but this time, it feels different and I know why. Its not just a feeling...it IS different.

To show how it is different I will post two stories. One I mentioned in another thread but I'll tell it again anyways with more detail. The other happened just today and inspired me to make this thread.

Story 1:
I'm at work on a normal office day when the 40 year old we just hired asks a few of us if we ever heard of Mortal Kombat. I kind of laugh out loud which to him probably seemed rude but if he only knew my obsession, he would laugh at his question too. The other guys sitting around the same table all said

"yea that game is fun." "I played it as a kid."

I kept my mouth shut for fear of killing their hype. It was fun to talk about MK with guys in person that I normally only talk business with. It was more fun them not knowing how much I love this game.

The moment passes, we all get back to work, and later I walk past a completely different persons desk who wasn't even around the initial conversation we had earlier that day. I look at his screen and see no other than STEVE BROWNBACK. I did a double take as I watched him watch Steve talk about his love for Kitana. After the video ended, he noticed I was watching and started making fun of Steve a little for his obsession as he played it a second time. At that point I let the cat out of the bag and said

"Yea that guy is Steve Brownback and he is one of the most well know competitive MK players in the world."

He looked surprised as I spoke as if I actually knew this guy. I went on to tell him all about MK, tournaments, my history, and his mouth dropped open. He was super impressed that I knew him. I became the most popular guy in the office that day all thanks to @GGA 16 Bit

Story 2:
Its Saturday and I had a bunch of errands to run. I get dressed as I pound a cup of coffee and head to the gym. I do my workout, take a shower and get dressed in other cloths to go out and get stuff done. I had decided to wear a simple pair of jeans, and the "Keep Calm and Finish Him" shirt @Pig Of The Hut brought me back from the MK side tournament at EVO last year. (gracias amigo).

As I walk out of the locker room, someone heading in stops, reads my shirt out loud and says

"Is that a Mortal Kombat shirt?"

I replied

"yes it is! A new game comes out next month you know?"

He replies

"I know, I already preordered it and can't wait. Did you see Jason Voorhees is in it?

After a quick and fun dialogue, about Jason and Cassie Cage (lol) I get to the parking lot where someone else looks at my shirt and says to me

"Mortal Kombat...ALRIGHT!"

and gives me a fist bump. I have no idea who he was.

After a couple errands checked off my list, I get to Trader Joe's to pick up some last minute groceries and the best beef jerky that I love so very much. (Shout out to @flipkev 's home made stuff but their shit is great!). I get in line and a guy comes out from the back walks over to me and says

"come over here. I like your shirt. Where you get that? Here let me open up a new register so you don't have to wait in line. "

I swear to God. He didn't even let others in line behind me. We talked about EVO, Killer Instinct, Tournaments and then he called over his buddy to talk about it some more. Mean while one of them started to get super hype. He start jumping up and down saying how excited he was and just kept getting more and more hype.

story 2 in summary:
One day...4 MK references to my shirt
Characters mentioned...Cassie, Johnny, Jason, Freddy, cyborgs (i'll allow it),
Quotes said..."Get over here" "gotcha!"
Fist bumps...2 out of 4

You want to know why the hype is real? It's because it is not just us on the internet anymore. It's complete strangers coming up to you on the street, and its even your fucking grocer!

MK9 was hype but NOBODY was talking about it that way they are talking about MKX.

GET READY TYM.

P.S. Thanks for letting me share. I thought this was freaking awesome.

P.P.S Official announcement for Battle and Brew. They had there grand opening last night (I couldn't go but am going with Pig and others tomorrow night). They have a huge new bar and it is off the hook. In time this will mean more BnB tournaments like the old MK9 days. Atlanta is back baby!

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I've heard people talking about it in public as well. Your post reinforces my belief that this game will be huge. I honestly expect MKX to have great numbers at tournaments, even after SFV's release.

EDIT; I know MKX has went gold now..how long did it take for MK9 to achieve that?

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I get it a lot but it has picked up considerably recently...
I have some shirts and such but the majority of it comes from my daughter (Kitana).. Teachers, her friends parents, people who just over hear me say her name... All the time everyone is like that's so cool I love that game... I have to avoid saying her name in game shops or its a 20 minute conversation everytime...

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Yeah I was at College and people were in my class talking about MKX and then they came and started talking to me about it because they saw me watching old Tourney footage from MK9 and we were all talking about it. I wonder if MKX can be on the main stage for many years to come, like ssf4 or smash. That would be hype as fuck.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I talked about this in a private convo we had the other day.. I think that both this game and the FGC's piece of it will be bigger than ever before. Wishing the whole NRS crew well; and this is a big opportunity for the guys on the competitive end if they're willing to take advantage of it.

Plus, 10 is a great number :)

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Things have been happening lately in the world of MK if you haven't noticed. The hype building up to every MK game is always huge but this time, it feels different and I know why. Its not just a feeling...it IS different.

To show how it is different I will post two stories. One I mentioned in another thread but I'll tell it again anyways with more detail. The other happened just today and inspired me to make this thread.

Story 1:
I'm at work on a normal office day when the 40 year old we just hired asks a few of us if we ever heard of Mortal Kombat. I kind of laugh out loud which to him probably seemed rude but if he only knew my obsession, he would laugh at his question too. The other guys sitting around the same table all said

"yea that game is fun." "I played it as a kid."

I kept my mouth shut for fear of killing their hype. It was fun to talk about MK with guys in person that I normally only talk business with. It was more fun them not knowing how much I love this game.

The moment passes, we all get back to work, and later I walk past a completely different persons desk who wasn't even around the initial conversation we had earlier that day. I look at his screen and see no other than STEVE BROWNBACK. I did a double take as I watched him watch Steve talk about his love for Kitana. After the video ended, he noticed I was watching and started making fun of Steve a little for his obsession as he played it a second time. At that point I let the cat out of the bag and said

"Yea that guy is Steve Brownback and he is one of the most well know competitive MK players in the world."

He looked surprised as I spoke as if I actually knew this guy. I went on to tell him all about MK, tournaments, my history, and his mouth dropped open. He was super impressed that I knew him. I became the most popular guy in the office that day all thanks to @GGA 16 Bit

Story 2:
Its Saturday and I had a bunch of errands to run. I get dressed as I pound a cup of coffee and head to the gym. I do my workout, take a shower and get dressed in other cloths to go out and get stuff done. I had decided to wear a simple pair of jeans, and the "Keep Calm and Finish Him" shirt @Pig Of The Hut brought me back from the MK side tournament at EVO last year. (gracias amigo).

As I walk out of the locker room, someone heading in stops, reads my shirt out loud and says

"Is that a Mortal Kombat shirt?"

I replied

"yes it is! A new game comes out next month you know?"

He replies

"I know, I already preordered it and can't wait. Did you see Jason Voorhees is in it?

After a quick and fun dialogue, about Jason and Cassie Cage (lol) I get to the parking lot where someone else looks at my shirt and says to me

"Mortal Kombat...ALRIGHT!"

and gives me a fist bump. I have no idea who he was.

After a couple errands checked off my list, I get to Trader Joe's to pick up some last minute groceries and the best beef jerky that I love so very much. (Shout out to @flipkev 's home made stuff but their shit is great!). I get in line and a guy comes out from the back walks over to me and says

"come over here. I like your shirt. Where you get that? Here let me open up a new register so you don't have to wait in line. "

I swear to God. He didn't even let others in line behind me. We talked about EVO, Killer Instinct, Tournaments and then he called over his buddy to talk about it some more. Mean while one of them started to get super hype. He start jumping up and down saying how excited he was and just kept getting more and more hype.

story 2 in summary:
One day...4 MK references to my shirt
Characters mentioned...Cassie, Johnny, Jason, Freddy, cyborgs (i'll allow it),
Quotes said..."Get over here" "gotcha!"
Fist bumps...2 out of 4

You want to know why the hype is real? It's because it is not just us on the internet anymore. It's complete strangers coming up to you on the street, and its even your fucking grocer!

MK9 was hype but NOBODY was talking about it that way they are talking about MKX.

GET READY TYM.

P.S. Thanks for letting me share. I thought this was freaking awesome.

P.P.S Official announcement for Battle and Brew. They had there grand opening last night (I couldn't go but am going with Pig and others tomorrow night). They have a huge new bar and it is off the hook. In time this will mean more BnB tournaments like the old MK9 days. Atlanta is back baby!
This is awesome! And this time, I'll definitely be coming to BnB, Yomi, and whatever else ATL does for MKX!

ramy_92

http://instagram.com/ramysoli
my friends think I'm weird cause I play MK (because Egypt, they only play Fifa) and my family think that someday I'll kill them and no one will know cause I'm too quite as a person and violence doesn't match my personality lol anywho I'm thinking of legally getting married to MKX

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I kept my mouth shut for fear of killing their hype.
Haha, I know that feeling. I was watching some of my friends play MK9 on PC at a casual level and it took so much willpower not to try and correct everything they were doing lol. "Don't use spear point blank" "Stop jumping so much" "You need 3 bars for X-Ray". They asked me to play and I didn't know whether to go HAM or act like I'd never played before.

I went ham, and I regret nothing :cool:.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
The same thing happened with a friend of mine recently! He started telling me about how he'd just seen the trailer revealing Kitana, and said that even though he didn't know who any of the characters were that he'd seen for MKX he was still really excited for it and didn't know why. I was like "Dude. Yes.". He said he thought "the guy with the razor hat" looked cool and when I said it was Kung Lao he was like "Yeah him!" all excited and shit. Even some of my friends who didn't really play or were as interested in MK9 or Injustice are excited for MKX, having even watched some of the streams and texted me about it after to my surprise and delight :)

Even with Injustice, there are friends of my friends that have asked me to play so they can watch me play their favourite character in a way they've never seen or thought possible before. The way they shake their head in awe at even the simplest stuff is satisfying and pretty funny :D

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
my friends think I'm weird cause I play MK (because Egypt, they only play Fifa) and my family think that someday I'll kill them and no one will know cause I'm too quite as a person and violence doesn't match my personality lol anywho I'm thinking of legally getting married to MKX
You should kill them all with a football because that would be funny...