What's new

General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Okay so the 11212 hat spin 44 combo only works on male characters, it won't work on any female characters.
I just 11 hat spin into 4 . Works and scales less In combos.

I been having fun with tempest. But honestly thing buzz saw is the better version still.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
if they made his Tempest MB hattoss plow through other projectiles and be less negative on block from a distance that'd be a good buff to that ability to make it not crap. lol

I just 11 hat spin into 4 . Works and scales less In combos.

I been having fun with tempest. But honestly thing buzz saw is the better version still.
I like the pressure and the possibility to cancel 112124 into ex hat spin for more pressure. Imo I only really miss the low hat for the neutral game and as a tool to force people to do things, it has so many uses but I can miss it as a pressure tool. Ex spin has nice damage in this variation but in buzzsaw you have a lot more opportunities to land the ex spin. The low hat and buzzsaw ex spin are a really great combination.

I think tempest will be useful against characters where you can't afford to take the risk to challenge the opponent with the ex spin and where the opponent has a way around low hat in the neutral. You also have characters who don't really need to be opened up, because they already want to take the fight to you. In the end it depends on the matchup and the opponent. Some characters and players will play more risky and I think tempest will be useful in those matchups. Tempest could also be useful in matchups where buzzsaw just gets outdamaged by a lot.

@Cat Also I think everybody is more comfortable with buzzsaw now because the low hat and ex spin moving forward has so many uses. Maybe as the game evolves we will have better defense and know what common habits are against kung lao. Because to me it feels like you always have to do something in this game and who gets his dirt in first will have the upper hand.

I don't know if this has been posted yet but I was messing around and noticed in the corner you can hat spin and B4 on their wake-up and get a full combo. Don't know how useful that is but just thought I'd mention it.

lmx17

Noob
Does anybody know if they fix the ex hat spin were sometimes you dont lose a bar of meter?
Ignore what the guy is saying in the video look at Perfect Legend bars.

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
So I've been messing around with tempest after finally getting the xb1 patch, and I'm starting to think b3 isn't his best whiff punish anymore. f2 reaches farther and can get 40% off one combo, and f3 with its half screen reach now combos into hat shield and can lead to 40% also. The highest I've gotten off a raw b321 is 33% meterless. Anyone else find a better combo to use b3 to whiff punish?

Wasted

Noob
B3 was never a good whiff punish. It's not that slow, but it's slow enough to be unreliable.

F2 is the go-to now, dont bother with b3 unless you absolutely know its your only option.

Don't know if your are being sarcastic or not but people like Pig of the hut and others have him bottom 8 in the game. Maybe my Kung Lao Buzzsaw is just that good because I feel he is top 10 in the game. He has the best pressure. Yeah he has no low starter but mixing strings up with low hats and teleports really opens the opponent up plus our wake up is Sooo goood. I just don't see him being bottom tier like people are suggesting.
mk was always about pressure. if you just stand there and block and let people chip you,you are dead for sure.
but right now laos pressure against people who know how to play against him is mediocre. sure if you know chars you can shut them all down, but agains lao all you need to do is block high and wait for f23 for low.

my biggest problem with him is how much high risk low reward he is right now.

Wasted

Noob
never. I dont have problems in lab but online no way. cant even connect hatspin into f23 df1.

to me tempest is really good on paper but not so much in real fight.
BWAHAAHAAAAAA

You can't even perform a cancel and you want to tell us Tempest is worthless, despite it having some of the highest damage in the game and safest pressure right now.

BWAHAAHAAAAAA

You can't even perform a cancel and you want to tell us Tempest is worthless, despite it having some of the highest damage in the game and safest pressure right now.
i cant do it ONLINE. prolly do to the shit servers and lag. offline yes. and I never said he is worthless, just he is so much better on paper.

but if you are such a master of mk cmmon hit me up and go kl tempest against me.

Last edited:

Wasted

Noob
i cant do it ONLINE. prolly do to the shit servers and lag. offline yes. and I never said he is worthless, just he is so much better on paper.

but if you are such a master of mk cmmon hit me up and go kl tempest against me.
Excuses. I already have a local scene, thanks. You can't do a simple link, which is easier than hat spin into 44.

Last edited:

delbuster

hungry
since no one is really labbing it up, i did a bit

hat spin is not a constant hitbox around him, it actually rotates... but it's at a set timing. i can't visually see it, but w/ that set timing it lets you do some things consistently at least. need to see if it works the same way on the p2 side.

so sometimes it hits immediately after teleport sometimes it doesn't, due to the rotation around KL

if it doesn't, and you grab, the hat will interrupt the grab, leaving them standing, and it knocks kung lao down. so i would never do that. lol

you can combo the hatspin teleport into the 3 followup, into 44 and a full combo etc. does a lot of dmg. will have a vid up of it tonight.

can't tell if the rotation is changing how i can followup b4 or not

kunglaogod

www.Twitch.tv/drunkenshotgg
If you hatspin teleport you can combo with 44 or f23 but you can't hatspin a end time during that combo unless you drop it to a reset which a lot of people should for the extra 10 to 14% combo damage and = it to 45% 1 meter but you have to be smart about it