What's new

General/Other - Shaolin Kung Jin (Shaolin) Discussion Thread

Using two bars in one combo is not recommended at all. He can do 36% off of 221 mid screen with one bar and 39% in the corner. He's not about high damage anyway he's about keeping your opponent guessing using various resets into fast 50/50s and then utilizing keep away and hit and run pressure using upkick.

After seeing how well I did at CEO this past weekend in casuals/team tournies/tournament itself, I can safely say Shaolin is by far his best variation. Overall it just has more tools to deal with more situations than Bojutsu.
Small world after all man, my homie was just telling me about someone that he watched on twitch playing the shaolin variation of jin at ceo this past weekend....crazy that I run into you here man lol...yeah and that's why I've mainly started to run with this variation over bo-jin... I'm still in the lab though trying get as much tech out of him as possible...and I see you did pretty well against a kitana I happened run into to one and she is annoying as hell to fight...lemme know if you find some more sneaky tech with him.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Y

You can armor through, but it's distance related and unreliable. Usually better to block the whole thing since it leaves you at 0 anyway.
No, you can just mash armor while blocking and if there is a gap Kung Jin get's punished (super heavily) 100% of the time; if there isn't you are still totally safe because your character is still blocking and nothing comes out.
The gap is present very often when using MB low chakram on block, pretty rarely when using MB chakram.
We all should be very careful: it's pretty dumb that I have to spend a bar to MB my projectile and randomly die if the opponent blocks, I hope NRS fixes it....this is something that potentially kills the variation in the future.

It is not range dependent I tested it. It can form at any distance...and it is not related to the character stance too. Looks very random.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
No, you can just mash armor while blocking and if there is a gap Kung Jin get's punished (super heavily) 100% of the time; if there isn't you are still totally safe because your character is still blocking and nothing comes out.
The gap is present very often when using MB low chakram on block, pretty rarely when using MB chakram.
We all should be very careful: it's pretty dumb that I have to spend a bar to MB my projectile and randomly die if the opponent blocks, I hope NRS fixes it....this is something that potentially kills the variation in the future.

It is not range dependent I tested it. It can form at any distance...and it is not related to the character stance too. Looks very random.
Do 111~MB Low Chakram or 4~MB Low Chakram and lemme know if you can blow it up.

Asodimazze

Do 111~MB Low Chakram or 4~MB Low Chakram and lemme know if you can blow it up.
I'm happy to say that from close distance looks like the low chakram can't be armored through.
I had it happen a few times when I was pretty far and only the last hit of 111 string connected, or when I tried 4xxMB Low Chakram in the corner.
B1xxlowchakram looks pretty safe too, it gets blown very rarely.

I'm liking this variation so far, looks pretty good!

\
Using two bars in one combo is not recommended at all. He can do 36% off of 221 mid screen with one bar and 39% in the corner. He's not about high damage anyway he's about keeping your opponent guessing using various resets into fast 50/50s and then utilizing keep away and hit and run pressure using upkick.

After seeing how well I did at CEO this past weekend in casuals/team tournies/tournament itself, I can safely say Shaolin is by far his best variation. Overall it just has more tools to deal with more situations than Bojutsu.
Exactly man thats what ive been trying to tell people about Shaolin you took the words out of my mouth, however i have never thought of using a combo into ending with up close df2 with 10f of adv reset. That my friend is just genius thank you for new tech :D .

Asodimazze

@Omgblaze1995 Nice videos! I'm going to steal your corner combo ;)

To end a combo into a standing reset use 34 instead of 11, it does more damage and leaves you at +22, enough for a 50-50.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
@Omgblaze1995 Nice videos! I'm going to steal your corner combo ;)

To end a combo into a standing reset use 34 instead of 11, it does more damage and leaves you at +22, enough for a 50-50.
Believe it or not 11 is better. If you end in 34, F2 can be backdashed or armored. Ending in 11, both options are guaranteed and you only lose out on 1% damage.

Just a couple from our local. Havent found the vid of my pool's Winner's Finals match against DJT on YT yet. We have a local that's streamed every Wednesday at twitch.tv/vsgc if you wanna check out more of me using Shaolin.
Good stuff. I shall look at it. I've been looking for some Shaolin vids. I plan to play Shaolin Kung Jin as my secondary.

any other high level Shaolin footage ?
Some videos i made i didnt link in the forum so just clicked on my video up above and check out my youtube. There are alot of short videos instead of complied together since im new to uploading videos and i just do it directly from my ps4 lol. Sorry in advance :).

Hi guys, so are there any standard updated BnBs for Shaolin Kung Jin in notation form? The videos are great but the inputs are harder to understand for a newer player.

Edit: Also is there any way to describe the general strategy behind Shaolin Kung Jin? How aggressive should one generally be, should the player keep their distance and maximize the range of the combo starter strings or get right up to another player? Or is this something that isn't possible without going into individual matchups? I guess what I'm asking is whether or not someone can describe how Kung Jin should be played style-wise.

Last edited:
Thats the freedom of Shaolin, can be played like Bojitsu or Ancestral for the most part...Kung Jin in general you always want to move in and out of range fo your best normals to bait things such as jumps or whiffs in any variation since he is a strong character that strieves mostly on his strings, great pokes and conversions.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Thats the freedom of Shaolin, can be played like Bojitsu or Ancestral for the most part...Kung Jin in general you always want to move in and out of range fo your best normals to bait things such as jumps or whiffs in any variation since he is a strong character that strieves mostly on his strings, great pokes and conversions.
what are you guys mainly using for a wakeup attack in shaolin given that the Bojutsu MB DB3 is not available? I have pretty much only been using MB BF3 as a GTFO mechanism, but it sometimes feels like a waste of bar. I haven't really tried MB up kick as a wakeup

Ex db3 is a get out of jail free card. Just dont use it all the time because you dont want to get baited. Id use EX db4 your at least safe so thats another option and is a good anti air. Honestly sometimes its just better to block on wakeup and wait to bust out, shaolin is very meter dependent so im not a fan of using meter on wakeup alot. 221 is 7f so if they do something unsafe 221 into ex low chakram and punish them for 36%.

Last edited:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Ex db3 is a get out of jail free card. Just dont use it all the time because you dont want to get baited. Id use EX db4 your at least safe so thats another option and is a good anti air. Honestly sometimes its just better to block on wakeup and wait to bust out, shaolin is very meter dependent so im not a fan of using meter on wakeup alot. 221 is 7f so if they do something unsafe 221 into ex low chakram and punish them for 36%.
Yeah 221 is great. I'm an ever bigger fan of 112 - it is a clean 16% by itself (which almost always connects on the last hit at least) and great for cancelling into low chakram

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
what are you guys mainly using for a wakeup attack in shaolin given that the Bojutsu MB DB3 is not available? I have pretty much only been using MB BF3 as a GTFO mechanism, but it sometimes feels like a waste of bar. I haven't really tried MB up kick as a wakeup
I mainly only ever wake up with EX DB3 when Im in the corner. If I have a life lead I wont even bother doing the D4 ender and just let it fly if it whiffs. Most of the time EX DB4 is your best bet. Even doing raw BF3 can be good sometimes if your opponent is overzealous and trying to hit you with slow nonmeaty normals.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Yes indeed i think -6 so even cassie cant punish :D
Technically it's -7, so characters like Cassie and Kung Lao can punish, BUT there's a way to time the D4 ender to make it totally safe against the whole cast. If you don't do the D4 ender, Cassie and KL can full combo punish it.

Technically it's -7, so characters like Cassie and Kung Lao can punish, BUT there's a way to time the D4 ender to make it totally safe against the whole cast. If you don't do the D4 ender, Cassie and KL can full combo punish it.
How long must you delay the d4 input so its completely safe?

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
How long must you delay the d4 input so its completely safe?
Kind of a weird timing but you can make it safe by doing it instantly, or by landing on the other side while theyre still in blockstun from the first hit. Seems kind of random at times as well. I play Gross's Cassie all the time and he basically stopped trying to Reversal punish it since it's inconsistent.