What's new

General/Other - Shaolin Kung Jin (Shaolin) Discussion Thread

Parasurama

Dragon
It's a combination of a bad habit because its unsafe and fear of d4 not hitting and losing the hard knockdown. If d4 whiffs you're vulnerable. Also in that video he didn't block it once so I kept doing it haha.
And you can get that brutality ;) Thanks, great video, I knew you Shaolin were hiding somewhere. I had trouble getting in on takeda shirai ryu, with his long double overheads, could not get in with dive kick, or b2 (out prioritizes) , I think there is supposed to be a gap after the double overhead into his mix up. Also the zoning of Shaolin is not all that great, the recovery and start up feels long, had trouble with his Kenshi but my liu kang's zoning did the job. Actually I should have gotten in with the flying up kick against Takeda and Kenshi!

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
When I zone I alternate low chakram and straight arrow. That way there's no recovery time and the pattern is harder to get through (different heights and speed). Then you look cool as shit when you read their jump and hit em with the almost full screen upkick (That is safe).

The only character that temps me to go to my pocket Imposter is Quan. A good Quan can have multiple projectiles on screen at same time and now has better pokes. And all the other shit that makes him good (broken).

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
And you can get that brutality ;) Thanks, great video, I knew you Shaolin were hiding somewhere. I had trouble getting in on takeda shirai ryu, with his long double overheads, could not get in with dive kick, or b2 (out prioritizes) , I think there is supposed to be a gap after the double overhead into his mix up. Also the zoning of Shaolin is not all that great, the recovery and start up feels long, had trouble with his Kenshi but my liu kang's zoning did the job. Actually I should have gotten in with the flying up kick against Takeda and Kenshi!
Takeda just anticipate the low kunai, block and punish. Bait the wake-up. ShaoJin beats him. You can play full screen.

Kenshi, mb low chakram from full screen goes under most of his zoning options. Get in and stay in.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
When I zone I alternate low chakram and straight arrow. That way there's no recovery time and the pattern is harder to get through (different heights and speed). Then you look cool as shit when you read their jump and hit em with the almost full screen upkick (That is safe).

The only character that temps me to go to my pocket Imposter is Quan. A good Quan can have multiple projectiles on screen at same time and now has better pokes. And all the other shit that makes him good (broken).
Mb lunge kick to get in. b1, f2 mix-up combos and stay in. Quan can't wake up. Has to guess right every time. End everything with alternating raw up kick and drop to stay safe and continue pressure by counter poking or catching them respecting it too much.

JesterSMX

Yeah it's doable. I just feel like a lot of things have to go right and once control is lost... that's all she wrote. Also my bias comes from W2GL_CarnaG3. His Quan makes me want to quit MK and become an adult.

JesterSMX

When I picked up Shaolin it was difficult to find info other than match footage of Corzz, Slayer, and SomeCubanGuy. Corzz uses great spacing, Slayer has adderall like reactions, and SomeCubanGuy had the resets where you couldn't tell it was 2 different combos. Yall should collaborate on a guide that's post bojutsu era.

I feel like i have not been playing my part in the shaolin community (mostly because i been playing erron black a lot more) but now i want to improve with Shaolin even more. I need to get together with yall some days and run some sets. We can play, share tech, work on strategies, etc. Im on PSN, ID is Omgblaze1995.

Edit: Oh btw im a student so the times i play might be a little weird lol. But if im online i can usually play at that time.

Parasurama

Dragon
Thanks guys. Yes a guide is on order and would be nice. Also if people can please post Shaolin matches. I just see slayer matches, nice to see some other footage and get some ideas and strategies.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Wassup Shaolin users. I don't see a combo thread anywhere so I was wonder what his BnB's are? Mainly after the 50/50 and after 221 punishes. I'm only getting like 31-32% for one bar. This can't be right can it?

JesterSMX

Wassup Shaolin users. I don't see a combo thread anywhere so I was wonder what his BnB's are? Mainly after the 50/50 and after 221 punishes. I'm only getting like 31-32% for one bar. This can't be right can it?
ji2 221-MB db2 ji2 221 db3+d4 mid thirties

JesterSMX

You can squeeze out an extra percent for doing a bunch of extra stuff but you'll hit that 10/10.

I"m going to upload some match videos tonight.

JesterSMX

Thanks guys. Yes a guide is on order and would be nice. Also if people can please post Shaolin matches. I just see slayer matches, nice to see some other footage and get some ideas and strategies.
I'm not trying to call anyone out in this video. Most, if not all, have beaten me before and sometimes badly. Just a video of match footage because there is nothing out there for Shaolin. Also, I would like feedback and if you have any questions let me know. I'll tell you frame data, decision making, etc.

JesterSMX

The laggy rc's, and ji attack to dive kick got me to go to the other one. You're right its optimal but the one I use is a dial combo with no timing needed. Netcode full proof 10/10. That and they never leave the ground to setup for reset. Save my muscle memory for something else.

I know exactly what you mean. I usually go for the 33% corner combo online because the 40% is too hard to do with this dogshit online. It's really a shame, i can not stand losing damage or dropping something i can consistently do offline because of NRS netcode.

JesterSMX

Yeah it sucks. I've never hit the corner one online. If you drop a combo you lose damage and your turn. Guaranteed hard knockdown is what its about. You'll get chip damage and meter building with oki.
Reminds me of Kilik or Maxi in Soul Calibur. "He can't hit you until you stop moving."

Parasurama

Dragon
I'm not trying to call anyone out in this video. Most, if not all, have beaten me before and sometimes badly. Just a video of match footage because there is nothing out there for Shaolin. Also, I would like feedback and if you have any questions let me know. I'll tell you frame data, decision making, etc.

Thanks for the video and footage. Awesome resets and mixups. I have to add the resets to my game since usually I just use the db3 then d4 to finish combos. One question..... you go for the db4 or cartwheel at the end of strings a lot, but you do not enhance it a lot, I noticed it was blocked a few times in the matches and it was not punished, how often are you punished? I usually enhance the cartwheel or low disc to get a safe mix ups but since Shaolin needs as much meter as possible, is this something you do purposefully and get few or no punishes? or is it something that might just work online?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew

God I love this character. so much fun to play

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Thanks for the video and footage. Awesome resets and mixups. I have to add the resets to my game since usually I just use the db3 then d4 to finish combos. One question..... you go for the db4 or cartwheel at the end of strings a lot, but you do not enhance it a lot, I noticed it was blocked a few times in the matches and it was not punished, how often are you punished? I usually enhance the cartwheel or low disc to get a safe mix ups but since Shaolin needs as much meter as possible, is this something you do purposefully and get few or no punishes? or is it something that might just work online?
yeah I've only recently started adding the standing resets into my game and it has made all the difference in the world. if you land 221, 111, 112, etc., you can continue with df2 for the reset. I like to follow that up with stuff like b14 upkick d4 or ji2 (if they end up a bit further away after the reset)

TamedLizard

Buff George
I just picked up Shaolin a couple of days ago and am having a lot of fun with it. Gotta love those mixups.

I can hit 37% fairly consistently, but that's a corner combo. Other than that, BnBs and punishes range from 30-34%. Still learning him though. B21xxDB4 usually catches a lot of people expecting that last low hit off guard. As does 112 cancelled into DB4 before the low hits. And it gets ya one step closer to that brutality.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I just picked up Shaolin a couple of days ago and am having a lot of fun with it. Gotta love those mixups.

I can hit 37% fairly consistently, but that's a corner combo. Other than that, BnBs and punishes range from 30-34%. Still learning him though. B21xxDB4 usually catches a lot of people expecting that last low hit off guard. As does 112 cancelled into DB4 before the low hits. And it gets ya one step closer to that brutality.
imo doing B21, 2+4 also has the same effect as using db4 at the end (in terms of throwing them off when they are expecting the low), but I believe it is safer

Parasurama

Dragon
yeah I've only recently started adding the standing resets into my game and it has made all the difference in the world. if you land 221, 111, 112, etc., you can continue with df2 for the reset. I like to follow that up with stuff like b14 upkick d4 or ji2 (if they end up a bit further away after the reset)

Hi bro, why do you use b14 when b12 is better? I was trying to implement the resets today but just too used to combo'ing.

JesterSMX

To be honest, it varies on how well they know the matchup. Those videos were pretty much best case scenario. Part of my game plan is to figure out what he knows and I do it until I'm blown up. Although the d4 after up kick is an overhead, it doesn't really count and the cartwheel makes the opponent have to respect the option. The matches in the video were ft1 in ranked but if it was a longer set it conditions them. They'll adjust and block high and then you go low and they're fucked. Getting blown up a couple times is almost worth it to open them up in the future. F243 MB db1 on block when they expect the overhead has won many games. Shaolin with 2-3 bars against someone that doesn't know the reset means round over. Huge comeback factor.