What's new

Guide - Kung Jin Kung Jin Living Guide Thread

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
It definitely works well; even if the opponent catches on and stops waking up, you'll have access to your post delayed wake-up game. If they decide to instantly get up off the ground (no wake-up / no delayed wake up) that's still a good situation.

B2, 1, 2+4 is one of my favorite strings; I use it quite a bit because it has a lot of mix-ups / options.

- B2, 1, 2+4
- B2, 1, 4, cartwheel drop (mb)
- B2, 1, 4, low chakram (mb)
- B2, 1, 4, up kick + shaolin drop (builds half a bar of meter and quite safe).
- B2, 1, throw (I start using this once the opponent respects my options).

The more you use one individual string (with various options), the more ambiguous your offence becomes; if you have one particular set-up off a specific string (and only use it at that time) the opponent will start to read it and you'll end up in trouble.

Against Kung Lao you should stay grounded because you have to look out for 3 of his options: 1- teleport 2- divekick 3- spin. This also applies to all match-ups where the opponent has a teleport (going airborne makes you vulnerable). In other match-ups where you can jump more freely, leaving the ground creates a mix-up / mind game; will he or will he not dive-kick.

You really have to read / anticipate the teleport and have your D1 punish ready. You actually want to hit him on the way up (animation of him coming out of the ground behind you) to negate his follow-up options. You can also try to bait a teleport if you notice that that the opponent likes / wants to react to chakram. To do this, throw out a standing 1 / D1 from 3/4 to full screen and see what happens; the start-up animations look kind of similar to chakram (high and low) but recover in time for you to punish him.
Good stuff - let us continue our noble mission of destroying Lao!

KRYS9984

Noob
I think Tempest Lao is the Unanimous decision. He Takes away most of our options and his ex spin has priority. I feel like we have trouble vs anybody with great advancing strings
Good stuff - let us continue our noble mission of destroying Lao!
Kung Lao doesn't impose anything on (particularly) Kung Jin that he doesn't impose on the rest of the cast. He's obviously a very good character with many options and we have to deal with him the same way others do; however, our options are not rendered useless in the match-up.

If you look at the characters tool for tool, you'll see that a lot of the options have a counter / punish attached to them and neither character actually takes anything away from the others game. After the patch, Kung Lao lost his ability to lock down any opponent so there are escape / reversal options, it all comes down to reads / baits (will he or will he not do it).

This match up is more annoying than anything; it's nowhere along the lines of Kabal vs Sub-Zero, Kenshi vs Jade, Zod vs Lex Luthor or Bane vs Catwoman; those were match-ups where tools were actually removed and characters were left with almost nothing to work with.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Kung Lao doesn't impose anything on (particularly) Kung Jin that he doesn't impose on the rest of the cast. He's obviously a very good character with many options and we have to deal with him the same way others do; however, our options are not rendered useless in the match-up.

If you look at the characters tool for tool, you'll see that a lot of the options have a counter / punish attached to them and neither character actually takes anything away from the others game. After the patch, Kung Lao lost his ability to lock down any opponent so there are escape / reversal options, it all comes down to reads / baits (will he or will he not do it).

This match up is more annoying than anything; it's nowhere along the lines of Kabal vs Sub-Zero, Kenshi vs Jade, Zod vs Lex Luthor or Bane vs Catwoman; those were match-ups where tools were actually removed and characters were left with almost nothing to work with.
Our dive kick, nj2, Shaolin dive bomb, and other important footsie tools that we can use on most of the cast is punished by spin in my experience. And we can't zone because tele is so fast that he can punish on reaction. We literally just have to block, take chip and hope we can punish. Kung Lao has better pressure, higher damage, better punish, better wakeup, better anti-zoning.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Can I ask why? Does Kung Jin want him at a range or up close and end with b3,4 (I believe that's the input) I'm not trying to argue, I just wanna know the pros and cons
You can also do b3,4. I saw REO do that a few times when he was using KJ. I even end a combo in F3 sometimes for the hard knockdown and oki follow up.

In shaolin, I like to end in 3,4 db3 (upkick), d2 (midscreen or corner) and sometimes B123 (usually an ender in the corner)

How do you guys find Run combos online? Been messing around with Run 34 in BnB combos but I'm afraid to try them online. I know internet connections are different for every person and even dependent on who you're playing against, but do you guys even bother with adding Run 34 into BnB combos online?

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
How do you guys find Run combos online? Been messing around with Run 34 in BnB combos but I'm afraid to try them online. I know internet connections are different for every person and even dependent on who you're playing against, but do you guys even bother with adding Run 34 into BnB combos online?
Yes sir! Added damage is important for Kung Jin and run cancel 34 is not hard to land after practicing.

Just keep at it bro! You'll find yourself landing it consecutively!

Darth Rambo

GT:DarthxXxRambo PSN:Darth__Rambo
No sir. Life happens and I get side tracked. I'll try to fix it soon man.
Lol your good, i started off with the rc combos and was just wondering if those were the most optimal or what, ive watched previous matches of bojutsu and everyone was doing the combos listed but they werent getting the same dmg or were ending them differently. Real life always comes first, give me a tag if you get around to updating it if you dont mind.

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
What are Kung Jin's options in the post delayed wakeup up game? I find that alot of opponents delaying their wakeups to somewhat avoid the f3 armour break or mixup game.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
What are Kung Jin's options in the post delayed wakeup up game? I find that alot of opponents delaying their wakeups to somewhat avoid the f3 armour break or mixup game.
Yeah delayed wakeups can be very annoying if you are accustomed to just rushing in and trying to get some oki in right off the bat. I will often run in as if I'm going to immediately start with the pressure and instead just block. this is good both for baiting wakeups and waiting the second or two for their delayed wakeup to end - you can then block the attack they attempt after their delayed wakeup and perform the mixup you would otherwise have done right away. I suppose this is a universal thing, not really just a Kung Jin thing, but delayed wakeups are arguably most annoying for Kung Jin since he relies so much on oki.

With regard to specific combos to do after a delayed wakeup, I most often use B12, mb low chakram in Shaolin. I find it has the highest success rate in that context.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Meaning you can just spasm and press buttons and combos come out.

I don't think there has been an easier execution character ever.
That's a dated claim, especially taking all Kung Jin's variations into account. Many would now agree that Boneshaper Shinnok is the easiest character execution-wise. And even if Bojutsu combos are easy to learn, it doesn't mean that it is a cakewalk playing the character against top players at a high level. He still has many difficult matchups, which is probably why we are seeing very few Kung Jins in top 8s anymore.

In any case, who do you play that requires such godlike execution? Let me guess - Kung Lao? give me a break, with that braindead YOLO spin, Kung Lao mains are more common than freckles on a ginger.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
That's a dated claim, especially taking all Kung Jin's variations into account. Many would now agree that Boneshaper Shinnok is the easiest character execution-wise. And even if Bojutsu combos are easy to learn, it doesn't mean that it is a cakewalk playing the character against top players at a high level. He still has many difficult matchups, which is probably why we are seeing very few Kung Jins in top 8s anymore.

In any case, who do you play that requires such godlike execution? Let me guess - Kung Lao? give me a break, with that braindead YOLO spin, Kung Lao mains are more common than freckles on a ginger.
I use Kotal Khan as my main. I also play Jax, Jason, Ermac, and Quan Chi.

Kung Jin is a brain-dead character. He enjoys high priority - and pulling off his most difficult combos is easy for even the most novice of players. Kung Jin is easy mode in MKX.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I use Kotal Khan as my main. I also play Jax, Jason, Ermac, and Quan Chi.

Kung Jin is a brain-dead character. He enjoys high priority - and pulling off his most difficult combos is easy for even the most novice of players. Kung Jin is easy mode in MKX.
Your contribution to this thread is braindead. All you are doing is parroting what countless people squawked during the first week the game was out. Take your broken record troll ass to another thread you unoriginal bastard

GAV

Your contribution to this thread is braindead. All you are doing is parroting what countless people squawked during the first week the game was out. Take your broken record troll ass to another thread you unoriginal bastard
I'm not trolling here. What I'm saying is the truth. If you can't play a grown-up's character, how is that my fault?

I practiced Bojutsu Kung Jin for 20 minutes on a Sunday. Then, I went online - and won nearly every match - consistently hitting for 40+ percent combos. Everything with him combos and the motions are super-easy. Even the timing isn't strict. Then, I practiced the other 2 variations - for about 15 minutes each. Then, I went back online and I was only landing 29-34 percent combos, but now I had more tools to keep my opponents off-balance. The wins kept coming. You would think I found my character.

Sadly, no - because it was just entirely too easy. It felt completely empty to me. I would rather struggle than skate like this. You stuck with him and good for you, but understand that Kung Jin is the game's easiest character. Those that spoke up early didn't change their tune. They just gave up trying to reason with those that just think its hate - even though its not. Its just the truth.

You're alright with me. I've spoken my mind and I'll let it go. I'm not trying to alienate anyone.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I'm not trolling here. What I'm saying is the truth. If you can't play a grown-up's character, how is that my fault?

I practiced Bojutsu Kung Jin for 20 minutes on a Sunday. Then, I went online - and won nearly every match - consistently hitting for 40+ percent combos. Everything with him combos and the motions are super-easy. Even the timing isn't strict. Then, I practiced the other 2 variations - for about 15 minutes each. Then, I went back online and I was only landing 29-34 percent combos, but now I had more tools to keep my opponents off-balance. The wins kept coming. You would think I found my character.

Sadly, no - because it was just entirely too easy. It felt completely empty to me. I would rather struggle than skate like this. You stuck with him and good for you, but understand that Kung Jin is the game's easiest character. Those that spoke up early didn't change their tune. They just gave up trying to reason with those that just think its hate - even though its not. Its just the truth.

You're alright with me. I've spoken my mind and I'll let it go. I'm not trying to alienate anyone.
I'm not immune to reason or simply going to dismiss everything as hate. The part that annoys me is the suggestion that anyone can win with Kung Jin at any level because he is easy execution wise. That is simply not true. Amongst beginners, I think you are correct - a beginner that picks up Kung Jin against other beginners with different characters will arguably have a leg up. However, that is not the case at higher levels. The point I made above is that we are really not seeing many Kung Jins in top 8s at tournaments anymore. I think the reason for this is that he has many difficult matchups when other characters are used by very good players. This is why I am sticking with this character, because there is still a challenge in showing that he can compete with top Kung Laos, Raidens, and other top tier opponents.

GAV

I'm not immune to reason or simply going to dismiss everything as hate. The part that annoys me is the suggestion that anyone can win with Kung Jin at any level because he is easy execution wise. That is simply not true. Amongst beginners, I think you are correct - a beginner that picks up Kung Jin against other beginners with different characters will arguably have a leg up. However, that is not the case at higher levels. The point I made above is that we are really not seeing many Kung Jins in top 8s at tournaments anymore. I think the reason for this is that he has many difficult matchups when other characters are used by very good players. This is why I am sticking with this character, because there is still a challenge in showing that he can compete with top Kung Laos, Raidens, and other top tier opponents.
I just can't feel good about anything done by anyone with a character that takes no execution skill. I'm also not going to give props to anyone who does anything with him. If anyone uses him in a tournament, I'll root against that player - or I'll walk away and do something else. If I run into Kung Jins online, I don't care how good they are. In my mind, they stink. In my mind, execution should be a part of the game.

Now, I'm not one to blame the game for anything. Kung Jin is the one exception because I feel like his move-set was designed to be entry level - so that newcomers could jump right in. That's why he doesn't fly at the game's highest levels because he's not designed to. At least they did that right.

I think you're a really good poster and I respect what you say, but we can't agree on this unless you're able to see Kung Jin as he is.

I'll admit my hate might be a little much, but execution should take talent or practice and skill.