What's new

Guide - Kung Jin Kung Jin Living Guide Thread

I know this has already been said, but d+b4 is a crazy good normal, especially against the ice clone. Also, u1 is great to stuff r1 NJP in the mirror or F/T match... F/T always NJP to begin r1, and the knockdown is a nice way to start the round... Aaand idk if it's practical, but the Bo flame (db1) shoots Mileena and kenshi's teleports outta the sky on a read, which is really satisfying...

wouter

Noob
I laugh at people trying to counter KJ with Sub Zero the nerf made this matchup pretty ez now, well online at least. Almost everything beats the clone.

kinda off topic but i main shaolin kung jin and am pretty good with him but i am looking for a solid secondary any suggestions from you fellow kung jin players?

beepboop

Noob
Not sure if anyone's found this yet (don't know what to search for in the thread to make it specific enough to get a hit), but I just found this:
@CoRzz Jin
Bojutsu
  • b214~mb bo swat~nj2~divekick~b21~bo swing = 37% 1 bar

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Was just checking the forum while in training mode and saw beepboop with some new potential :)
b214 - mb bo swat -run- 34 - divekick - 34 - swing (39%)
111 - mb bo swat - run - 34 - divekick - 34 - swing (38%)
The first run into 34 is hard to connect though (you have to hit the opponent when he's really low to the ground), the NJP one from beepboop is much more viable in real matches.

Lol, saw the OP and I didn't even know that there was a a f2d1 string:
Corner
f2d1 - db2 - 343 - swing (29%)
f2d1 - exdb1 - 343 - swing (35%)

Last edited:

Train

Noob
guys..I wanted to try Kung Jin bojutsu, but I can't find any updated practical BnB combo list.. can someone be so kind and write down current BnBs? thanks

EOTL

Non Launching Starter= b14/f24/111/b214/22/34/f3

guys..I wanted to try Kung Jin bojutsu, but I can't find any updated practical BnB combo list.. can someone be so kind and write down current BnBs? thanks

Midscreen

Starter~Bo Swat, nj2, divekick, b21~Bo Swing Easy Version/No Stamina version

Starter~Bo Swat, run 34, instant divekick, run 34~Bo Swing More damage

Starter~ Bo Swat, run 3/U1~Bo Swat, divekick, run 34~Bo Swing 1% less builds slightly more meter

Corner

Starter~Bo Swat, 4~Bo Swat ji3~divekick, 34Bo Swing

Eijiken

Noob
Figured Out a new shoalin combo 34% 1 meter for anyone interested
221xxmb db1 njp divekick b21 db4 d4

hopefully i noted it right

DHERO

Noob
Just picked up KJ couple days ago. In the process of reading all the threads on this forum and watching some recent matches, I compiled a list of pretty much every possible combo that I believe is useful.

I figure some people might find it helpful, so here you go:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12ojUeCfmU8ENzs_ZkEsS8LUBpeX62maqp3TRolgUboc/edit?pli=1
It's an awesome resource! Only critique is that the combos can be listed better. I tried editting it but wasn't allowed to and I didn't wanna make a new doc because that's just messed up.

Example:
Meterless Midscreen
111 Starter
111 bf4 RUN 34 jid4 RUN 34 db3 (35%)
(Insert all combos that start with 111)

Something like that. Just a food for thought. Again, it's awesome resource!

Qhris

Noob
Hey just wanted to pop in and mention that for your bojutsu corner combo, you can squeeze in a tiny bit more damage. Starter-Boswat- then add a quick 1,1 before your NJP. Nothing major, just looks a little flashier. Great guide by the way. Making me want to work on other variations.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
what are kung jins worst MU's?
Tempest Lao is the toughest matchup IMO. The reason is the EX spin on wakeup greatly weakens most if not all of our oki game (e.g., it would be way too risky to rush in after a hard knockdown with a B214 or F24 string as you will inevitably be caught by the yolo spin. Yes you can try to bait the spin and block it, but I find this reduces pressure and damage options even if you do correctly bait the spin.

The yolo spin also greatly reduces the viability of our NJP in many situations.

ferneo6

Rhizomes and moustaches
Tempest Lao is the toughest matchup IMO. The reason is the EX spin on wakeup greatly weakens most if not all of our oki game (e.g., it would be way too risky to rush in after a hard knockdown with a B214 or F24 string as you will inevitably be caught by the yolo spin. Yes you can try to bait the spin and block it, but I find this reduces pressure and damage options even if you do correctly bait the spin.

The combo of nerfs and tempest made me explore other characters. Since the hat nerf the mu might be better now.

KRYS9984

Noob

Which variation are you using?

As a Shaolin user, I find the match-up annoying (as do many others) but manageable (especially after the nerf).

Option #1: When ending combos with DB3 + D4 (Shaolin), you can throw out a standing 1 and block to bait a wake up attack (this works in other match-ups as well). If the Kung Lao player decided to delay their wake-up (after throwing out standing 1 + block) you can disregard their wake-up and attempt a mix-up or stagger into a tick throw.

Option #2: If your match-up goal is to out-zone Kung Lao (Shaolin), forcing him to make mistakes and capitalize with punishes (dive-kicking hat toss, punishing blocked dive-kicks, D1'ing teleports into combo conversions, etc...) one of your best tools is to end combos or land (in neutral) B2, 1, 2+4. This creates a HKD set-up and allows you re-start your zoning game from 3/4 of the screen away (removing any wake-up threats). Using this string in neutral also opens you up to the bigger damage option B2, 1, 4, MB low chakram (conditioning opponent to look for the overhead).

As for Bojutsu, you don't have many (threatening) half to full screen options outside of dive-kick so you have to use your long range normals / footsie tools and straight up fight the character. Bojutsu also doesn't have as many mix-up options / options that are safe so you're taking more risks in the up-close game which can be punished if blocked.

One important thing to remember is stay grounded; unless you have a guaranteed jump in or committing to a dive-kick, don't go airborne at close range because MB spin negates your options including NJ2 which works well in other match-ups.

Last edited:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
The combo of nerfs and tempest made me explore other characters. Since the hat nerf the mu might be better now.
Which variation are you using?

As a Shaolin user, I find the match-up annoying (as do many others) but manageable (especially after the nerf).

Option #1: When ending combos with DB3 + D4 (Shaolin), you can throw out a standing 1 and block to bait a wake up attack (this works in other match-ups as well). If the Kung Lao player decided to delay their wake-up (after throwing out standing 1 + block) you can disregard their wake-up and attempt a mix-up or stagger into a tick throw.

Option #2: If your match-up goal is to out-zone Kung Lao (Shaolin), forcing him to make mistakes and capitalize with punishes (dive-kicking hat toss, punishing blocked dive-kicks, D1'ing teleports into combo conversions, etc...) one of your best tools is to end combos or land (in neutral) B2, 1, 2+4 as much as possible. This creates a HKD set-up and allows you re-start your zoning game from 3/4 of the screen away (removing any wake-up threats). Using this string in neutral also opens you up to the bigger damage option B2, 1, 4, MB low chakram (conditioning opponent to look for the overhead).

As for Bojutsu, you don't have many (threatening) half to full screen options outside of dive-kick so you have to use your long range normals / footsie tools and straight up fight the character. Bojutsu also doesn't have as many mix-up options / options that are safe so you're taking more risks in the up-close game which can be punished if blocked.

One important thing to remember is stay grounded; unless you have a guaranteed jump in or committing to a dive-kick, don't go airborne at close range because MB spin negates your options including NJ2 which works well in other match-ups.
All very good points. I now primarily use Shaolin, after spending the first couple months w Bojutsu only. Option #1 sounds particularly useful - I often attempt to bait simply by holding block (without a standing 1 first) but this apparently doesn't contain the same mind game that your suggestion with standing 1 does. I will see if I can catch more fish with that method!

B21, 2+4 is also a good suggestion. I use that, but fairly sparingly, and rarely with the intention of avoiding a wakeup attack.

staying grounded is key, but I have an addiction that I can't overcome to our beautiful NJP. I will break that habit.

Do you typically just mash D1 whenever he teleports? Obviously blocking alone doesn't work given the teleport throw option that he has.

KRYS9984

Noob
All very good points. I now primarily use Shaolin, after spending the first couple months w Bojutsu only. Option #1 sounds particularly useful - I often attempt to bait simply by holding block (without a standing 1 first) but this apparently doesn't contain the same mind game that your suggestion with standing 1 does. I will see if I can catch more fish with that method!
It definitely works well; even if the opponent catches on and stops waking up, you'll have access to your post delayed wake-up game. If they decide to instantly get up off the ground (no wake-up / no delayed wake up) that's still a good situation.

B21, 2+4 is also a good suggestion. I use that, but fairly sparingly, and rarely with the intention of avoiding a wakeup attack.
B2, 1, 2+4 is one of my favorite strings; I use it quite a bit because it has a lot of mix-ups / options.

- B2, 1, 2+4
- B2, 1, 4, cartwheel drop (mb)
- B2, 1, 4, low chakram (mb)
- B2, 1, 4, up kick + shaolin drop (builds half a bar of meter and quite safe).
- B2, 1, throw (I start using this once the opponent respects my options).

The more you use one individual string (with various options), the more ambiguous your offence becomes; if you have one particular set-up off a specific string (and only use it at that time) the opponent will start to read it and you'll end up in trouble.

staying grounded is key, but I have an addiction that I can't overcome to our beautiful NJP. I will break that habit.
Against Kung Lao you should stay grounded because you have to look out for 3 of his options: 1- teleport 2- divekick 3- spin. This also applies to all match-ups where the opponent has a teleport (going airborne makes you vulnerable). In other match-ups where you can jump more freely, leaving the ground creates a mix-up / mind game; will he or will he not dive-kick.

Do you typically just mash D1 whenever he teleports? Obviously blocking alone doesn't work given the teleport throw option that he has.
You really have to read / anticipate the teleport and have your D1 punish ready. You actually want to hit him on the way up (animation of him coming out of the ground behind you) to negate his follow-up options.

Check out the video below of Ryan Hart at Fatal 8; if you forward to around 11:28 you'll see him whiffing D1's to clip Kung Lao's teleport (slow down the video to see exactly when you should hit Kung Lao out of it).

Bojutsu obviously doesn't have any special attacks that could bait this reaction so he was obviously reading / anticipating it and D1'ing beforehand for the attempted combo conversion. However, Shaolin does have low / high chakram animations that looks similar to a normal (Standing 1 / D1) attacks so whiffing these at 3/4 to full screen could be used as a bait.

Last edited: