What's new

Kitana Mirror: Cutter

In a Kitana mirror, if the opponent performs a cutter and you crouch block it, who has the advantage? Is it neutral? Can it be punished?
Was wondering after I faced aj1701.

The second hit of cutter whiffs on crouch block. Cutter whiffs completely on neutral crouch. Either way, you're at advantage if you crouch.

aj1701

Noob
Ya, I've been going a bit much with cutter, lol. Mainly trying to do 11~cutter or 112 cutter to build meter. The ex-cutter is safe on block though right? I've been using that alot on wakeup to take back the offensive if i think my opponent is going to continue to try and pressure. Seems like the armor lasts though the first hit and it covers a good distance. Any reason not to do ex-cutter on wake up sometimes?

From my tests, a well timed D1 can beat out any wake up attack Kitana does. This especially applies to Kitana's ex cutter because even if the first d1 whiffs to invincibility, you can get a second D1 off in time to snuff it out. This is AI on wake up though, so maybe invincibility was inconsistent. Either way, people are most likely going to low poke on wake up.

aj1701

Noob
While I don't remember if it's happened to me yet, you can duck the first hit and poke/uppercut before the overhead. But the recovery is safe, yes.
From my tests, a well timed D1 can beat out any wake up attack Kitana does. This especially applies to Kitana's ex cutter because even if the first d1 whiffs to invincibility, you can get a second D1 off in time to snuff it out. This is AI on wake up though, so maybe invincibility was inconsistent. Either way, people are most likely going to low poke on wake up.
Hmm, that's not what I expected. I'm pretty sure at least there's some armor, as I've gone though projectiles and the second hit knocks the opponent down. maybe the armor doesn't start right away? A delayed projectile or poke does knock you out of it though for the second hit. Or am I just crazy? lol

Hmm, that's not what I expected. I'm pretty sure at least there's some armor, as I've gone though projectiles and the second hit knocks the opponent down. maybe the armor doesn't start right away? A delayed projectile or poke does knock you out of it though for the second hit. Or am I just crazy? lol
Probably invincibility on wakeup if you used ex cutter. Only square wave has armor and it's not even on all frames. It's still possible to snuff ex square wave.

EDIT: just tested square wave and it only has armor on active frames. If it's on start up (jumping up) or recovery (landing) then it has no armor.

This is what I was thinking, I thought it had armor.

aj1701

Noob
Probably invincibility on wakeup if you used ex cutter. Only square wave has armor and it's not even on all frames. It's still possible to snuff ex square wave.

EDIT: just tested square wave and it only has armor on active frames. If it's on start up (jumping up) or recovery (landing) then it has no armor.
I thought there was some armor on non-wakeup too for ex-cutter, but I am probably wrong. I use it mainly as a wakeup anyway.

Ex wave has armor during the horizontal motion? I wish startup had it, it'd be helpful to escape corner pressure. Of course the armor is more insentive to try to learn ISB. :)

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
EX Cutter has no armor, only wakeup invincible frames.

Low pokes blow up all of her wakeup moves, even Ass if they time it correctly(it's possible to d+4 into a float juggle). Basically against smart players you gotta block hella d+4s when you're knocked down until they get bored and start trying other stuff and you're free to do wakeup cutters or EX Lifts again.

Full armor on activation for EX Ass would be sweet.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade

Low pokes blow up all of her wakeup moves, even Ass if they time it correctly(it's possible to d+4 into a float juggle). Basically against smart players you gotta block hella d+4s when you're knocked down until they get bored and start trying other stuff and you're free to do wakeup cutters or EX Lifts again.

So Kitana has no armor on her Ex special moves? I know Ex Square Wave has armor but not enough, I use it to get past Kabal air fireball spammers. I thought her Pretty Kick has armor on it? I never use it anyway, it's such a useless move outside of combos. I do know Ex Cutter has no armor because I get poked out of it.

SLy

Noob

I agree..kitana getting knocked isher wekness..d4 keeps her on lockdown and keeps her in check and at times its very annoying (kabal)...and its a universal thing so every body can apply d4 pressure on her wakeup the same way

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So Kitana has no armor on her Ex special moves? I know Ex Square Wave has armor but not enough, I use it to get past Kabal air fireball spammers. I thought her Pretty Kick has armor on it? I never use it anyway, it's such a useless move outside of combos. I do know Ex Cutter has no armor because I get poked out of it.
Nope, pretty kick doesn't have armor. Ex squarewave is hard against Kabal... if you're anywhere outside midscreen it seems like he'll always be able to get 2 fireballs in before you reach him.