What's new

Match-up Discussion Kitana Matchup Discussion Thread

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
How does kitana deal with people who just smoke away the whole match? I find it very hard to get in on him.
Push them to the corner. Instant air ass, even if they try to smoke towards. It hits them out of smoke away/towards unless they use ex. When you have the life lead and they smoke away the rest of the match, you fullscreen teabag.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Ass is your friend vs Smoke. You can also check them with a fan when you're within a range that they won't react to it in time. When they recognize you're throwing fans in certain situations, they'll shake in anticipation, in which case you can ass at them for free.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
Id argue Kenshi-Kitana is 8-2...u need a secondary in this game, its not BlazBlue but its still got its awkward matchups.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Id argue Kenshi-Kitana is 8-2...u need a secondary in this game, its not BlazBlue but its still got its awkward matchups.
It's not like "omg omg omg a day 1 kenshi can beat 16bit!"

If a Kitana player is smart she can exploit Kenshi's weaknesses very well but take Pig of the Hut for example, he had help from Mr. Mileena on how to handle her well.

Kenshi still beats Kitana but a master with a fan beats a rookie with a sword.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I have no problem with Kenshi in general. I don't think I've lost to a Kenshi player online for months. Except Pig. He pretty much 10-0's me....

It's a matter of knowing the matchup. I've been repeating for the past 2 months that Pig will NOT lose to a Kitana player at final round. Kitana players have beaten Kenshi players before because they don't know how to play it right.

NariTuba

disMember
Everybody needs to calm down. The Edenian sky is not falling just because CD and I got blown up at one tournament.
There was one point after you lost to Pig I saw you get up and start talking to CD (who had been watching closely) about the matchup or match itself (or so it seemed). I was dying to know what the top kitana summit conclusions were.

I also remember CD beating some Kenshi (on another tourney) by trading cancelled Exfan to get in as adviced by CDjr at the time. Do you think this is viable?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It is viable. Sit outside shoulder range and go for it sometimes. Didn't I do it twice to Pig but dropped the combo one time? :mad:

My biggest takeaway from playing Pig's Kenshi is that Kenshi having no answer for cross ups is bullshit. You cannot just work your way in taking damage, finally get a knockdown and then expect to blow him up with nothing but cross ups.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I also remember CD beating some Kenshi (on another tourney) by trading cancelled Exfan to get in as adviced by CDjr at the time. Do you think this is viable?
If they reflect an ex fan and it catches you, they get a combo on you or at least another tk move. It's not an amazing option against him, but it can occasionally work.

And 16bit is right about the crossovers. For some reason Pig is one of the only Kenshi players who has figured out that you can *omg* actually reverse input your wakeups. Plus, armoring it will kill you.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Watch Kenshi's meter carefully, once he runs out there is no more armor on him and he can't use Breaker if you can punish him heavily with a high damage combo. Kenshi's wake up attacks are very good, it's a guessing game jumping in because you can jip over his Spirit Charge and block his Rising Karma and punish.

Regarding crossovers, Kenshi has armor on his special moves which you can simply reverse the inputs. If he didn't have armor, Kitana would have a better shot at this tactic since Kenshi has a big hitbox. It's similar to when Rain can reverse the input for his Ex Roundhouse Kick, the armor will stop cross up attempts. I actually find Kitana's Ex Square Wave useful in the Kenshi slapping slashing field, you get a knockdown possibly bait a wake up attack or D1 then block because of his Spirit Charge.

Just like what 16Bit said before, know the spacing when to throw an Ex Fan on his move that misses on trade - it will make him respect her projectile since he would have to be super fast to reflect it back on reaction. I don't think Kenshi is bad as people think for Kitana although I hate that MU a lot myself but I still find Reptile the most difficult one full screen and up close - Forceballs ruin her zoning game, his Dash beats her Square Boost from point A to point B landing, Acid Spits knock her down, Dash has priority over her normals, his Forceball is an AA to prevent jump in punch/kicks, Air control is useless because he has no reason to jump, his long D4 make it difficult for her to approach him, Slide-Dash-Acid Hand mix up guessing game up close how to punish him correctly. I cover Kitana's Reptile bad MU with Cage/Sonya, they body him, contain him, close space fast where his Dash and Sliding is so risky he's up for big punishment if he makes the wrong move.

I would probably pick up Kung Lao or Kabal for Kenshi, there's nothing wrong having back up characters.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
rev0lver I really appreciate your support for me in this thread man, means a lot

Some things i wanna point out, just by picking kenshi does NOT mean you will be Kit. Up until FR CD beat Blackula, teef, cd jr and all other kenshi as well as 16 bit did w his kenshi competition

I devoted over 500 maybe 1000 games to the MU

Why?

Because at evo i lost to kit and and nec i lost to kit

I forbid that to ever happen again so i went hard and thus a new main was born for me

Mr mileena and i need to play and record matches and post them for all to see, it isnt 7-3 or 8-2...but it is very difficult

I have class now, so more later

THE KITANA SKY IS NOT FALLING

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Reptile is not one of Kitana's worst matchups. Not even close. Up close, Reptile really struggles. Her footsies kill him.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
rev0lver I really appreciate your support for me in this thread man, means a lot

Some things i wanna point out, just by picking kenshi does NOT mean you will be Kit. Up until FR CD beat Blackula, teef, cd jr and all other kenshi as well as 16 bit did w his kenshi competition

I devoted over 500 maybe 1000 games to the MU

Why?

Because at evo i lost to kit and and nec i lost to kit

I forbid that to ever happen again so i went hard and thus a new main was born for me

Mr mileena and i need to play and record matches and post them for all to see, it isnt 7-3 or 8-2...but it is very difficult

I have class now, so more later

THE KITANA SKY IS NOT FALLING
I never said it was falling, but I consider you the highest lvl of the character right now, and yes you know the match up well, it actaully kinda fucked me against hippo, because i was respecting his options against me too much, when I probably could have gotten away with alot, i didn't realize that till too late,

I think theres something with D3s instead of dash blocking, d3 lowers the hit box so then you just have to worry about the over head, then your in a better possition to try get ex fan to hit, or even random fans, or guess on a jump to get in for full kombo,

shit is still tough though,

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I never said it was falling, but I consider you the highest lvl of the character right now, and yes you know the match up well, it actaully kinda fucked me against hippo, because i was respecting his options against me too much, when I probably could have gotten away with alot, i didn't realize that till too late,

I think theres something with D3s instead of dash blocking, d3 lowers the hit box so then you just have to worry about the over head, then your in a better possition to try get ex fan to hit, or even random fans, or guess on a jump to get in for full kombo,

shit is still tough though,
Definitely appreciate it

I just want to point out that Pig killed lots of crossovers without armor. He dashes under the crossover and shoulder charges them.

I just want to point out that Pig killed lots of crossovers without armor. He dashes under the crossover and shoulder charges them.
This might be off topic, but you are my fav commentator, You need to be at more majors.

ON TOPIC: Pig is an amazing in General, he makes 6-4 look like 10 -0.

This might be off topic, but you are my fav commentator, You need to be at more majors.

ON TOPIC: Pig is an amazing in General, he makes 6-4 look like 10 -0.
Off topic: thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

On topic: I agree pig is amazing. Not just the Kenshi either.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Reptile is not one of Kitana's worst matchups. Not even close. Up close, Reptile really struggles. Her footsies kill him.
His poke is slow. In that sense she may get away with F2,1

He can D4 but Kitana steps back to F2,1 and he can slide before that happens >.>

I do know she can punish him much harder than he could.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
This seems to be a great way to stop crossups with lots of characters and I should implement it into my game.

"Yeah, it's really not hard to get projectile advantage on Kano. Jump over a knife, throw a fan, start doing iaf's and he has to come to you."

If Kano throws 2 knives in succession, the 2nd knife will hit you when you jump over the first knife and you may or may not get your fan out in time.

Btw, I laughed when I see how many posts Pig Of The Hut "liked" in this thread. Of course the top Kenshi player is liking what Kitana players are saying about Kenshi in the Kitana matchup thread lol.

THTB, I'm pretty sure my opinion on Kitana/Reptile is worthless because I've only played against reptiles online. Would you agree?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
If Kano throws 2 knives in succession, the 2nd knife will hit you when you jump over the first knife and you may or may not get your fan out in time.
It's all a matter of timing. If you're timing it right, you should be able to throw a fan and block even if he gets a second knife out.

I'm pretty sure my opinion on Kitana/Reptile is worthless because I've only played against reptiles online. Would you agree?
Actually, no offense but I would say that's true. Just the factor of the dash on block changes things more than you would think. I used to think Rep had like a 7-3 on Kit because I only played them online, and now I think it's closer to 5-5.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Actually, no offense but I would say that's true. Just the factor of the dash on block changes things more than you would think. I used to think Rep had like a 7-3 on Kit because I only played them online, and now I think it's closer to 5-5.
I used to think 7-3 as well, but it's not 5-5, reptile def has an advantage in this match, dash blows up some of kits strings right in the middle of them on block, 6 frames is a killer.

the spit and acid ball on the screen at the same time is just too much for kitty man, you can't square ass over because of dash, Reptile can control the whole match,

Optimal spacing for kitty in this seems to be just inside dash range, makes reptile uncomfortable, because they don't want you to block a dash and blow them up.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It's not even that. Reptile gets outpoked on block by Kitana all the time unless he uses elbow. If Kitana is in your face, doing 11, 33, f3, f21, whatever is -1 or better, Reptile HAS to elbow to deal with it. Trying to play footsies vs Kitana...forget it, Reptile won't even be able to touch her outside of whiff punishes. Too slow and not nearly enough range. And if elbow is blocked, bye-bye a lot of life.

The only saving grace is that Reptile does blow her up if she's too greedy on the advantage at -1, and even at 0, where random trade win takes over and at worst, Reptile's eating a d1. The knockdown can kill Kitana, though, because cutter can get blown up by forceball traps, and even if she fan farts out, Reptile can choose to make it hell to get back in or attempt to punish it. Luckily, Kitana can't just fan fart back in, either, because Reptile can just elbow before she goes over him and switch to the other side. Or if he's ballsy as all hell, just NJP the fuck out of her.

Yeah, don't let elbow online ruin you, because that's just online. Everywhere else, Reptile gets beaten pretty bad by Kitana up close. He has to risk his life to deal with her pressure...so what if elbow is 6 frames? It takes just 1 blocked elbow to put me down up to half my life, and the only big deal for eating one is the knockdown and dealing with his oki, which is all guesswork. I'm not gonna guess right 100% of the time if I knock you down, so none of my damage is guaranteed. You block elbow, it's all guaranteed damage.