What's new

Match-up Discussion KILLER FROST - Official Community Match-Up Discussion

He didn't say don't mention it - of course the trident punish is relevant. He just said we don't treat it like it's the end of the analysis, and we don't. I don't think anyone has stopped there, even at the very beginning of the matchup discussion.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
He didn't say don't mention it - of course the trident punish is relevant. He just said we don't treat it like it's the end of the analysis, and we don't. I don't think anyone has stopped there, even at the very beginning of the matchup discussion.
I think it is funny when our community is attributed to blanket statements like "KF can punish trident with iecberg, KF wins..." It gets on podcasts and that is what people just assume when they make general statements or talk about the character.

I think it is funny when our community is attributed to blanket statements like "KF can punish trident with iecberg, KF wins..." It gets on podcasts and that is what people just assume when they make general statements or talk about the character.
I'm glad one of us finds it funny. I hate having to deal with strawmen. Tom Brady is the king of them. Think about how much more productive he'd be if he spent half a damn minute to actually understand what people say instead of raging about something that no one said for two hours straight.

RiBBz22

I'm glad one of us finds it funny. I hate having to deal with strawmen. Tom Brady is the king of them. Think about how much more productive he'd be if he spent half a damn minute to actually understand what people say instead of raging about something that no one said for two hours straight.
Yes, funny in the most un-funny way

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
RiBBz22
I think you explained it perfect. She has the tools to counter AM and the meterless vortex is HUGE in this MU because we can bait out his punishable wake ups and the guessing game is in our favor (after conditioning them NOT to wake up, of course). If I were forced to label this MU I'd say she wins it...but only by an ice sickle.

I know you said NOT to mention the ice berg punish for trident, but I LOOOOVE this punish...it's easier to punish on reversal than DS's low guns. Also, I feel so comfortable playing the keep away/zoning game against AM...our projectile is better than his...

I agree with Khao...she wins this.
@MylesWright_

yeah... i figured it out.

RiBBz22

What about the DS and Batgirl matchup, any tips ?
DS you can slide quickshot and punish the non-MB version of low gunshot on most of the screen. The reversal timing on the punish is a little weird, so go into training mode and learn it because it helps a ton in the MU. D2 is an easy punish on sword flip. If you are having trouble working your way in against him, then my advice would be to go into training mode and record DS doing about 60 seconds of a variety of high, low, MB/non-MB gunshots mixing in some backward movement to keep him full screen. That way you can start full screen and work on your punishes, dashing, and general movement during the MU.

Batgirl has to respect slide when you are a few steps inside of max range. Bola spam at that range gets beat out by slide because of it's long startup animation. Also, a lot of Batgirls like to dash to get inside of her b1 and b2 range, so don't let them do it for free...(I like to d1 d1~slide). Batgirl's d1 is now parry-able so make sure after a blocked slide they respect your parry option. Most Batgirl players wake up with cartwheel, and again since parry beats that for a combo...MAKE THEM RESPECT IT. Once you have conditioned your opponent to stop doing wake-up cartwheel then the meterless vortex and the threat of it becomes a mind game heavily in KF's favor. This is why the MU shifts 6-4 KF's favor IMO. Make sure you are blocking Batgirl's 50-50 overhead option HIGH to LOW in case they mix in the B2D3 string which will just lead to more pressure on hit if you are being lazy with your blocking. Lastly, go into training mode and work on punishing the low and overhead options of her cartwheel, the teleport, B2U3 string, and flying uppercut.

gabesena

PSN: uB-Sena
about the DS matchup i've been doing pretty well against him, and i think that the matchup is defnitely in KF favor.

Espio

Kokomo
Thoughts on Cyborg match up? I know it's listed as 6-4 Frost, but curious about how this match up plays out.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Thoughts on Cyborg match up? I know it's listed as 6-4 Frost, but curious about how this match up plays out.
Very very frustrating for Cyborg. Up close or afar, Killer Frost can handle him well, and essentially whenever you do feel that the Cyborg player is getting one over on you, it's due to impatience.

From upclose:
Cyborg's wakeup punch the sky is parryable and punishable. Super punishable. Just about all his strings are parryable, so expect the Cyborg to mix up nova cancels for applied pressure. Most they might end up running away with here and there is a free grab into what have you. D1 vaccum is only annoying if you're impatient, and.....yeah pretty much that's about it. Up close Cyborg isn't going to make you sweat, unless he gets you in the corner, and that is not due to being unable to get out, or crazy set ups that make you dread such: it's mainly because he can get some high damage off in the corner.

From afar, ground projectiles will stop your slide. However a wakeup slide will go through it at point blank (obviously) and even a little ways away. A smart Cyborg will time their shots to catch your WU slide, so again, lack of patience will cause you to eat unnecessary shots but that's about it. You can trade/punish his ground novas with iceberg. Iceberg also punishes target acquired, but typically you can just slide out of harms way and punish him due to its recovery.

I personally think what makes this MU annoying for Cyborg isn't actually slide and parries. It's daggers. From full screen, it's obvious what Cyborg's design lends itself to: IA fireballs and MB air fire balls mixed with ground fireballs and maybe a target acquired here and there to trap you are what the player will go for. Simply chucking a dent in the proverbial gear of the Cyborg's pattern (a random dagger that catches him in the air) makes all his work for naught. You can duck both the ground AND air fire ball, so getting in isn't ever a big deal if you're patient. Trying to slide in CAN be stuffed by repeated ground fireballs, but if the Cyborg mixes in air fireballs and you react with varying paces of dagger tossing you can catch him in the air, combo into iceberg, MB it, land another iceberg and then spam daggers from full screen to start YOUR zoning rhythm. I like to intentionally trade icebergs with ground novas to get the Cyborg to take to the air. A slide or dagger will catch him when he does so. If he realizes this I continue my dagger spam, and if he inevitably does a ground nova, the meter built from spamming (most people neglect the admirable level of meter whiffed, blocked and landed daggers build) and simply punish him from fullscreen with super. Grappling around the place as Cyborg seems to sound like it would be annoying/ the right way to deal with this MU, but honestly if you've played as many Cyborgs as I have you'll notice it never turns out this way. I think Cyborg's design is one that makes him a good character don't get me wrong, but one that lacks in versatility. In this MU he has to work overtime for you to just lol randomly slide and catch him at the max distance that your slide can go through the projectile or randomly anti air him with daggers lolcancelled into an iceberg. Punishing his wakeups and meterless vortexing him like there's no tomorrow, I can't say that Cyborg players enjoy this MU. But I sure as hell do.

Here's my take. Relaxedstate's connection sucks, but P2Ws is fine if you want practice. Jailhouse's connection is also fine, but he hasn't played in a while.

From Long Range
- Cyborg wins - goal is to get closer
- KF has three options to get in
* Guess two air fireballs in a row and slide. If cyborg does air fireball then normal fireball, KF gets hit and put in a lot of hitstun.
* Guess a normal fireball and jump over it. A wrong guess pushes you very far back.
* Throw daggers to get him to stop doing shit for one damn second to move in. Gotta watch out for a very high MB fireball which keeps the pressure up. You can also try a spike if you think he'll use ground ball but that's pretty YOLO.

From Mid Range
- Slide punishes air fireball
- Slide loses to jumping normals
- Watch out for MB b3s/f3s. The way to beat these is to not act immediately. Wait a second and see if he tries that - if he does, he just wasted a bar.

Close Range
- Don't let him d1~leafblower you even on block, it pushes you to an awkward range. Parry whenever you expect a poke.
- His best strings don't do a lot of damage but leave him at massive frame advantage. We all know by now that KF blows up that type of play.
- Know how to parry the gaps in his strings and he's toast up close.

Oki
- His only decent wakeup is that punch move. Parryable.
- In meterless vortex, crossup j3 makes the punch whiff which gives you a punish.

Last edited:

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
He can mb b3 slide on reaction as well as up-forward grapple 40% punish ice daggers/iceberg. The speed of his fireballs gives Killer Frost difficulties when trying to get in due to the recovery and travel distance of her forward dash 4-6 cyborg

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I played Relaxedstate a lot offline before the patch and I had it 6-4 frost then. I havent played a good cyborg or relaxed since the patch so I can't really comment. I can't imagine the MU being any different now tho. Yea, he got some buffs but I dont think it was enough to change the MU. Plus, KF got some indirect Buffs as well.

But I would go based on what these guys are saying. They explained the MU pretty well

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
ApocaLips its because your not playing at the highest-level of play. Slide is fairly easy to mb b3 on reaction or jump back for a meterless punish

Last edited:
ApocaLips its because your not playing at the highest-level of play. Slide is fairly easy to mb b3 on reaction or jump back for a meterless punish
I've played Relaxedstate, P2W, and Jailhouse's cyborgs and none of them could do it on reaction. They're the highest level cyborgs around.

Your slides are predictable as hell, so you're getting bopped every time. If you wait half a second you can get them to start a MB b3 and waste the meter or jump backwards into daggers. Neither jb2 or mbf3 is on reaction, and you can punish each of them if you have even a sliver of patience.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Here's my take. Relaxedstate's connection sucks,.
Hey now! This is true for the most part lol, but I finally got comcast to come out and upgrade my shit. As of friday ill be hardwired into 75Mbs!
xKhaoTik NEC, we need to have a nice long set for old times sake haha

Also, KF should never wake-up slide vs cyborg when he has missles out otherwise you are being set-up to be pushblocked for tons of damage

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Hey now! This is true for the most part lol, but I finally got comcast to come out and upgrade my shit. As of friday ill be hardwired into 75Mbs!
xKhaoTik NEC, we need to have a nice long set for old times sake haha

Also, KF should never wake-up slide vs cyborg when he has missles out otherwise you are being set-up to be pushblocked for tons of damage
Will we finally be able to connect again?!

Has anyone had any Grundy experience since our last conversation about him?

I ran into LordoftheFly a couple times on XBL and raped his asshole hard. Both sets weren't even close to close, and he seemed to know what he was doing. MBf3 blows up all of his WC cancel shenanigans - he has to cancel it into block to not eat a full combo. Other than WC, he has no approach options at all, and KF wrecks him at range as long as your daggers aren't so predictable that he MB hands through them. His vortex and damage is good, but not as good as KF's vortex.

I'm thinking 7-3 at worst, with a very slight chance of being an 8-2.