What's new

Kevin Tancharoen Nerd Reactor Interview -- In Talks For Mortal Kombat Legacy Season 3

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Kevin Tancharoen is best known as the director who brought Mortal Kombat Legacy to the forefront of Youtube game adaptations. After following up his initial success with a second season, Kevin is back with a new web series entitled "Gable 5", shot by the same crew and featuring some popular personalities among the cast. In an interview with Nerd Reactor, Kevin discusses his current work and gives a little bit of insight into his thought process.

Although the article is light on details, the biggest news for Kombat fans is the announcement that he is in discussion with Warner Bros. about a 3rd season of the MK Legacy series:

"We are starting to talk about it [Legacy Season 3] literally this week (knock on wood). I’m starting to talk to Warner Bros. and the video game creators, so hopefully we can see it through."

For more details, check out the full interview here:
http://nerdreactor.com/2014/03/27/the-gable-5-premieres-plus-interview-with-director-kevin-tancharoen/

Source: MKWarehouse (@MKWarehouse on Twitter)

Attachments

Last edited:

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
I thought he left the MK franchise? Wasn't it him who said he won't be doing the movie due to creative differences he had with WB? Either way I'm always down for season 3 even after season 2. Season 2s always seem like the worst seasons in shows IMO. TWD, Shameless, GoT, SOA for example. All in my opinion of course.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Honestly, I don't mind him doing MKL but not the reboot movie. I honestly want someone like Zack Snyder or Nolan to do MK reboot, for obvious reasons...

I thought he left the MK franchise? Wasn't it him who said he won't be doing the movie due to creative differences he had with WB? Either way I'm always down for season 3 even after season 2. Season 2s always seem like the worst seasons in shows IMO. TWD, Shameless, GoT, SOA for example. All in my opinion of course.
I believe he said he was done with any "MK movie" connections since I think WB and Boon rejected his pitch for the movie(the script)

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Oh please no. The Legacy series was mostly a failure. Just do us all a favor and stay away from our beloved Mortal Kombat.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Well I found legacy season 2 to be disappointing, I still want him to do season 3.

Mostly because of the blue ball cliff hanger with Liu and Kung Lao.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
I wish "Rick Grimes" was Raiden again. And Sub vs Scorp fight scene in season two compared to season one was terrible. Bring Michael Jai White back as Jax. Let's get a Sonya who doesn't exactly fall into the cougar category but a few years younger.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Honestly, I don't mind him doing MKL but not the reboot movie. I honestly want someone like Zack Snyder or Nolan to do MK reboot, for obvious reasons...

I believe he said he was done with any "MK movie" connections since I think WB and Boon rejected his pitch for the movie(the script)
Well judging on how season 2 went... I can't blame them for saying no to an MK movie script from him. I wish him the best with season 3 though.

MKF30

Well judging on how season 2 went... I can't blame them for saying no to an MK movie script from him. I wish him the best with season 3 though.
Yeah, I admit second season could have been better but I enjoyed it. I just want the script for the movie to be accurate to the game and not stray off like previous scripts for the reboot were.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I honestly want someone like Zack Snyder or Nolan to do MK reboot, for obvious reasons..
God no. Nolan would turn MK into some REALISM nonsense and it would suck.

KTanch needs to give MK up. He tried but ultimately failed. Some episodes were good but he has no consistency or structure whatsoever. I liked Legacy somewhat but it's not the direction MK needs to take.

MKF30

God no. Nolan would turn MK into some REALISM nonsense and it would suck.

KTanch needs to give MK up. He tried but ultimately failed. Some episodes were good but he has no consistency or structure whatsoever. I liked Legacy somewhat but it's not the direction MK needs to take.
Ok, perhaps not Nolan for that perspective that's true...but I do like his talent and atmosphere, definitely Zack Snyder thought. He has a good record.

Sami

Noob
I think the main problem with season 2 was that he tried to have a continuous story running through mini webisodes. Season 1 worked because each episode (or at most two episodes) were pretty much stand-alone prologues of a couple of characters. I hope he goes back to the isolated shorts in season 3 as that's the bit that really worked for the series, not multi-episode story arcs.

Showing us the "tournament" part is daft because that's the bit we play in the games every time, and seeing it in movie form kinda shows just how bad of a story that part is. What most MK fans seem to love (me included) are all of the character back-stories and side-events happening at the tourney. Focus on that and leave the actual tourney with the games, especially if you're going to try and change it from an organised event to MK vs. Battle Royal/Hunger Games.

zaf

professor
What were your favorite characters/episodes/battles from s.2? God, I remember September 26th like it was yesterday... Tuning in Machinima, waiting for "relax... don't do it!". :)
i love everything to do with ermac obviously lol.
i loved that the host of iron chef america is kung lao hahaha
i loved everything about it, i feel so alone when it comes to legacy loloolol

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
i love everything to do with ermac obviously lol.
i loved that the host of iron chef america is kung lao hahaha
i loved everything about it, i feel so alone when it comes to legacy loloolol
In the beginning I felt weird about Ermac's zombie appearance but then, after a while, I figured "hey, he's a corpse with a whole lot of souls running around in there so it makes sence!" and liked it. I loved the Kenshi-Ermac fight, the bar fight, the fatalities, didn't like the fact that in spite of hiring Dacascos, they only utilized his martial arts experience by having him do katas in the shaolin gym :( instead of kicking some butt and LOVED Kang... But I'm a Kang fan so what did you expect?

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?

Damn! That's exactly what I want! Since my brother told me Snyder should direct a Mortal Kombat movie I can't help but loving the idea! And Nolan is my favourite director.