What's new

Kano strategy

cyke_out

Noob
Interestng. I really hope we get some patch notes so we can have actualy hard facts and not just going off of rumors.

b112 is completely safe. In fact - its so safe, that an up kano ball is uninterrupt-able by normal attacks afterwards. After a blocked b112, you can check your opponent with an up ball(preferrably only do this if you have breaker). Once they start respecting it and blocking after b112, you should start a mixup with jump in, sweep, or overhead.
Oh shit, it was you in that tournament against Raiden, dude that was a solid gameplay, I just wondered why you didn't attempted some Air Ball punishes, other than that it was really nice.

Oh shit, it was you in that tournament against Raiden, dude that was a solid gameplay, I just wondered why you didn't attempted some Ir Ball punishes, other than that is was really nice.
Thanks. I played that matchup pretty poorly against Jop. I should have thrown more knives and forced him to teleport. If you can control Raiden's teleport - I'm pretty sure Kano can hold his own in this fight.

Raiden's Teleport is inherently unsafe. Like Tom Brady say's, "If you're a jedi, you can punish it." Kano's knives are relatively safe(from certain distances). From my experience, if you can make Raiden block after he teleports instead of attacking - Kano can win this matchup.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I've been playing Kano a lot lately, and I'm very happy with him. He's got some great tools if you spend the time to learn how to use them, for instance, if you're playing against SZ then Kano is extremely formidable against him.

The strat I use against SZ is to stay near the opposite side of the screen, use knives, and punish with air balls once SZ starts the animation for freeze. You can also punish his slide with ease by either using an airball, timing your x-ray correctly which the armor will go through, hopping the slide and punishing with a 2,1,2 x3 or hop the slide and use the x-ray immediately after.

SZ is forced to attempt to slide into you since he cannot compete with Kano's projectiles, making this match up very easy.

GNG Iniquity

Thanks. I played that matchup pretty poorly against Jop. I should have thrown more knives and forced him to teleport. If you can control Raiden's teleport - I'm pretty sure Kano can hold his own in this fight.

Raiden's Teleport is inherently unsafe. Like Tom Brady say's, "If you're a jedi, you can punish it." Kano's knives are relatively safe(from certain distances). From my experience, if you can make Raiden block after he teleports instead of attacking - Kano can win this matchup.
I've found something interesting as well, when testing against Smoke on expert in the trainer. If you're spamming knives , once they teleport to the other side of the screen, you'll do his upward ball and punish the teleport. I would anticipate that this would apply to Raiden, as well.

This is a simple way to punish the teleport since the input changes upon different sides of the screen and doesn't require any actual thought!

GNG Iniquity

It seems that, as long as you invest the time learning how to punish properly, that Kano can easily win matches. I play Kano essentially the same way I play Bison, I think it's safe to say that he feels a lot like a charge character in that he does his best away from his opponent and punishes them for their mistakes. Though, his up ball makes me think of Ryu as well - so he's kind of a hybrid of the two.

He's got some great low pokes, a great sweep and if you're opponent is doing a crouch block then you should use his B+2, F+1 mid launcher to send them away from you and revert back to the other side of the screen.

It seems that, as long as you invest the time learning how to punish properly, that Kano can easily win matches. I play Kano essentially the same way I play Bison, I think it's safe to say that he feels a lot like a charge character in that he does his best away from his opponent and punishes them for their mistakes. Though, his up ball makes me think of Ryu as well - so he's kind of a hybrid of the two.
He is actually Guile. :p

also, may I recommend you to edit your posts instead of do a triple post? you know, to keep things clean and easy to read.

Alcarion

Gym rat
I'd like to thank everybody here on the Kano forums, this is my first post and i feel like i have to give some props to all of you. I'm strictly a Dudley only player back in Street Fighter third strike and SSFIV played some Mortal Kombat when i was very young but MK9 is definitely my first competitive Mortal Kombat.

Coming into the game i really loved it, played Reptile a little also played a little bit of Noob but 2 days ago i found Kano and it all clicked for me. The info that you guys put out and the community here has really helped me learn and love Kano for that I'm really appreciative. Big ups to the Kano forums.

I'd like to thank everybody here on the Kano forums, this is my first post and i feel like i have to give some props to all of you. I'm strictly a Dudley only player back in Street Fighter third strike and SSFIV played some Mortal Kombat when i was very young but MK9 is definitely my first competitive game.

Coming into the game i really loved it, played Reptile a little also played a little bit of Noob but 2 days ago i found Kano and it all clicked for me. The info that you guys put out and the community here has really helped me learn and love Kano for that I'm really appreciative. Big ups to the Kano forums.
Glad you find the awesomeness of Kano, the more players we get the better. :D

cyke_out

Noob
People hate "zoning" Kano on PSN. I was in a KoTH room and was getting all zero's from all 4-5 players at once. just by using knife and up-ball, with the occassional very basic bnb juggle off of a punish.

I know this post is useless info. but i'm just glad to have PSN back no matter how much it sucks.

People hate "zoning" Kano on PSN. I was in a KoTH room and was getting all zero's from all 4-5 players at once. just by using knife and up-ball, with the occassional very basic bnb juggle off of a punish.

I know this post is useless info. but i'm just glad to have PSN back no matter how much it sucks.
I don't have PSN back yet, it seams "Americas" don't include South America (since I use an US account and I cant log in).

Other than that, who cares, just keep owning noobs with knifes and balls, make them suffer and feast upon their tears.

cyke_out

Noob
Oh believe me, i took great joy in the fact that they were giving me zero's, I even began to play as lame as I could just to hear them bitch more. and soon the entire room was emty.

Again, I'm just happy to have online back.. ignore me.

GNG Iniquity

Yeah, I find people to be very salty in regards to Kano and Kabal. Kano's balls are extremely punishable, I don't see what the complaints are about.

Mutton

Noob
Pretty much all the hatemail I get is whining about my knives; it's not like you can dashblock or jump in this game...

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
b112 is completely safe. In fact - its so safe, that an up kano ball is uninterrupt-able by normal attacks afterwards. After a blocked b112, you can check your opponent with an up ball(preferrably only do this if you have breaker). Once they start respecting it and blocking after b112, you should start a mixup with jump in, sweep, or overhead.
Yeah, after a bit of testing a couple days ago to make sure, I'm 100% sure it's + on block lol. Not by much, but d1 should at least beat all normals and jump-outs. You can cancel that into chokeabitch and it'll at combo if they attempt to jump out at the very least (Can't remember if it does grounded, but if they're pushing buttons then they won't block it in time anyways). The only risk there is if they crouch (But don't block) so they eat the d1 and df1 whiffs.

GNG Iniquity

I think I'm just gonna start spamming nothing but knives when I fight Scorpion players. I'm so sick of seeing Scorpion that I'll be as cheap as possible to hopefully get some people to STOP playing him. Considering most people only spam teleport then knives are a perfect solution to that, since you'll just counter them with an upball immediately upon teleport.

Fuck it.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Let´s talk about punish options...
Yesterday i tried to punish Mileena tele with B1,1,2.... but the last 2 allways whiff... I did B1,1,upball for 17%, is there other option?
In general, i think B1,1 is quicker than other strings, what do you prefer?

http://www.justin.tv/s1lent1/b/285987360

@ 11:00, Tom said Kano is getting buffed today, and his Kano ball will only be 2 frames slower than Cage's flash kick, and will no longer be punishable by full combo.

He didn't specifically state if it was up, air or horizontal ball, so I'm assuming he means all balls.
I'm pretty sure it's only for Up Ball. At least from what I heard.

Horizontal balls and air balls should still be punishable on block. Would be crazy if they couldn't punish any ball lol.

cyke_out

Noob
You are most likely right, unfortunately.

Does anyone have experience in the Noob match-up? According to Tom Brady, no one can outzone Noob, so don't even bother trying. How should Kano approach this fight? Are knives useless?

You are most likely right, unfortunately.

Does anyone have experience in the Noob match-up? According to Tom Brady, no one can outzone Noob, so don't even bother trying. How should Kano approach this fight? Are knives useless?
Might be because the people here are still fairly new to the game, but baiting his teleport have been my go to so far (knives, safe jumps during his projectiles)