What's new

Kano strategy

Sooooooo... anybody have any thoughts about Kano yet? I've been playing him a bit, and while I'm no pro, here are some initial thoughts:

- Fast startup and recovery on his knife. It seems to be a very good projectile, even at close ranges.
- His various cannonballs are very, very fast. The diagonal air cannonball can punish opponents from practically all the way across the screen.
- The standing and diagonal rising EX cannonballs help Kano's already-good cannonball mix-up game. Cannonballs also make him extremely mobile.
- Knife + cannonballs make Kano an incredibly formidable and annoying turtler. It seems like a Guile-ish basic strategy might be Kano's cup of tea.
- His super is a grab, and is thus unblockable. In my experience so far, this tends to make it especially dangerous.
- His BP-FP-BP combo launches, and he can follow it up with any of his specials. And he can tack a few more hits on in the corner for some really beefy damage. I'm sure he has some more advanced combo techniques that I haven't discovered, but even his basic strings are pretty brutal.

Kano seems like a pretty strong pick. What do others think, and how have you been using him?

justim

Shingo Kick!
- His BP-FP-BP combo launches, and he can follow it up with any of his specials. And he can tack a few more hits on in the corner for some really beefy damage. I'm sure he has some more advanced combo techniques that I haven't discovered, but even his basic strings are pretty brutal.

Kano seems like a pretty strong pick. What do others think, and how have you been using him?
You can actually follow up his BP-FP-BP combo midscreen with Dash BP-FP-BP. Yesterday I was messing around with BP-FP-BP, [Dash, BP-FP-BP] x 2, 236FP and it does 30%.

hjs-Q

Noob
Sooooooo... anybody have any thoughts about Kano yet? I've been playing him a bit, and while I'm no pro, here are some initial thoughts:

- Fast startup and recovery on his knife. It seems to be a very good projectile, even at close ranges.
- His various cannonballs are very, very fast. The diagonal air cannonball can punish opponents from practically all the way across the screen.
- The standing and diagonal rising EX cannonballs help Kano's already-good cannonball mix-up game. Cannonballs also make him extremely mobile.
- Knife + cannonballs make Kano an incredibly formidable and annoying turtler. It seems like a Guile-ish basic strategy might be Kano's cup of tea.
- His super is a grab, and is thus unblockable. In my experience so far, this tends to make it especially dangerous.

he's really cool.

Knives are spammable and can build meter. I love his d,f+2 for AA and normal ball to keep pressure.

I'm not 100% sure about that but his 2,1,2 seems completely safe. you can walk up and do whatever, not just special. With the MK9 lag I usally go for just 2,1,d,f+2

has anyone been able to find any combos that have a mid/overhead in the string? I've been messing around with kano midscreen and can't seem to find anything that does more than 10-15% that also includes a mid/overhead.

could be a major weakness for him later on, but im pretty bad at this game so maybe someone else can figure something out?

overall though, kano is awesome so far, he does seem like a very strong zoning character, his knives recover fast and its hard to get in on him without a teleport.

Found something interesting: Though the cannonball's motion is listed as F,D,B,F,2, it's also triggered by a lot of other 3/4-circle motions. For instance, these all work too:

F,D,B,U,2
D,B,U,F,2
B,U,F,D,2

This leniency makes execution much easier, as you can just do a 360 motion and pretty much guarantee it comes out.

Yes! first post is a helpful post, here is some basic stuff:

You can add about 3% damage if you add a jump in punch as a combo starter

:bp:fp:bp, Dash, :fp:fp, :d:r:bp / :en:d:r:bp - 6 Hits - 22% / 17% :)en do way less damage)

:bp:fp:bp, Dash, :fp, :d:r:fp / :en:d:r:fp - 5 Hits - 19% / 24%

So, Kano seems like he's fairly dominant at a Ryu-esque fighting style -- that is, well-executed knife barrages, with cannonballs to punish jump-ins. Unexpected teleports and other really long-range punishers can trip him up pretty bad, but basic "fireball/dragon punch" space-control tactics seem pretty solid for him. Prevent the opponent from closing in at all costs, and then when they do come in, try do do his 2-1-2-Cannonball combo, or his X-ray grab.

Also: Sheeva and Skeletal Boosted Quan Chi are the only fighters who do more damage with their normal projectiles. So, at worst, Kano usually trades evenly in fireball fights.

kano's overhead easily can be chained/canceled into a special

However, I haven't figured out if there is a way to combo into his overhead.

Jobe

Noob
I've been using b+1,1,2 as a launcher instead of 2,1,2 because it has more range, hits crouching opponents, and does more damage. j.1,b+1,1,2 dash 2,1,2 dash 2,1,2 ball does 36% and it's pretty easy to pull off. b+2,f+1,d,f,2 is what i've been using as an overhead combo.

awesome, will try those when i get home.

his command grab DOES NOT work against someone blocking high or low AND it can be crouched

so basically it sucks. and its not a grab.

Hey, Kano players are alive. I got the game today and spent most of the time in story mode, so almost no Kano play for me today. The little time i had with him in practice i used on

212 dash 212 dash 212

and variables. I found it easiest to let the last BP drop and replace it with a cannonball or command grab, to do around 30% damage.

:x XRAY:
The X ray seems to only be a grab so it's not combo-able as i've tried many things and havent found anything. The best thing we can do with his xray is find set ups for it.

Also, if anyone is having trouble with his new Kano ball configuration on pad (as opposed to MKDC); what I do is just swipe the all :r :d: :l :r in one quick movement on the D pad instead of pushing each direction individually.

Most of his attacks hit high even his :r :fk which is extremely odd because it is physically hitting so low. On the other hand, he does have his Overhead Smash :l :bp (hits medium) which can lead to juggles and from what I have discovered so far, mainly in the corners.

BNB Combos:
*Coming soon*

Important notes:
  • Downward Kano Ball does not crossup. (wish it did lol)
  • Downward Kano Ball can be used to escape from the corner.
  • Kano has a pretty fast leg sweep that works good for corner traps. Also, it has pretty long reach. (can reach about 2 steps distance)

Jobe

Noob
I just discovered kano's x ball is unblockable if you charge it for a couple seconds. Another thing I noticed is that cr.2, knife wiffs on a low blocking opponent while a cr.1, knife will cause blockstun...good to know for frame traps.

Also, if anyone is having trouble with his new Kano ball configuration on pad (as opposed to MKDC); what I do is just swipe the all :r :d :l :r in one quick movement on the D pad instead of pushing each direction individually.

The motion is really easy for me since I played a lot of Guilty Gear back then and there are a lot of "half circle forward/backwards + forward/backwards" commands.

You really can link :bp:fp:bp three times? damn I suck then. D:
For me the third time is easier than the second, because i have to wait a little bit before doing the second :bp:fp:bp, or Kano will miss the last hit. For the third :bp:fp:bp i just dash in and do it right away, and it almost never misses. So, for me, the "hard" part was getting the timing for the second :bp:fp:bp right

For me the third time is easier than the second, because i have to wait a little bit before doing the second :bp:fp:bp, or Kano will miss the last hit. For the third :bp:fp:bp i just dash in and do it right away, and it almost never misses. So, for me, the "hard" part was getting the timing for the second :bp:fp:bp right
Gonna try it later man, thank you... damn and I was so proud of my little combo. D:

Gonna try it later man, thank you... damn and I was so proud of my little combo. D:
LOL i was tripping out about linking out 3 times too! but i just tried it and it is definitely possible.

I've been using b+1,1,2 as a launcher instead of 2,1,2 because it has more range, hits crouching opponents, and does more damage. j.1,b+1,1,2 dash 2,1,2 dash 2,1,2 ball does 36% and it's pretty easy to pull off. b+2,f+1,d,f,2 is what i've been using as an overhead combo.
I like this idea very much about starting with :l +1, 1,2 it really does add a good amount of damage. You can even add a kano ball after :l +1, 1,2 if ure quick enough with them. However, I put the dummy on crouching low and it does not hit crouching opponents. Also tried it under human setting and it is still not hitting crouching opponents. Could u be doing something different?

Well, the :bp:fp:bp x3 isn't that hard, the timing is lenient enough which is nice, but I still miss some times the cannonball, would it be too stupid to replace the last :bp for a :d:r:bp? it come out instantaneously after the :fp but you lose 2% of damage.

Also, any more damaging use of :l:bp:fk outside of the corner beside ending it with :d:r:bp?

cyke_out

Noob
It seems to me like he has a few different strings that puts the opponent into a stager state on hit, f+1,1 f+1,2 and b+1,2. Can anyone with access to another person test to see if these allow for a safe jump, or enough stagger to land his X-ray without the opponent being able to escape?

It seems to me like he has a few different strings that puts the opponent into a stager state on hit, f+1,1 f+1,2 and b+1,2. Can anyone with access to another person test to see if these allow for a safe jump, or enough stagger to land his X-ray without the opponent being able to escape?
I don't have access to other player to test with someone jumping out of stagger state as soon as posible "BUT" I did notice that :fp:fp:x, :r:fp:fp:x, :r:fp:bp:x and :bp:fp:x have a 1% scaling on the :x even when they don't really combo into it, thing that don't happen with other inputs that give a stagger state.

That's a nice corner combo.

cyke_out

Noob
I noticed the same thing Arcade-Fever, about the x-ray only doing 40% instead of 41%. so I'm led to beleive that maybe it is being scaled becuase it's a set-up into the X-ray.