What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage Matchup Thread

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
My opinion on A-List MUs

Vs Tanya Kobu 4-6, maybe 3-7
Vs Kotal Sun God 6-4/ War God 6-4/ Blood God ?
Vs Erron Black 5-5 all variations
Vs Kitana Royal Storm 5-5
Vs Mileena 5-5
Vs Tremor 6-4
Vs Sub Zero GM 3-7/ Cryomancer 5-5
Vs Scorpion 6-4
Vs Cassie 4-6, might be worse
Vs Reptile 5-5
Vs Kano 5-5
Vs Liu Kang Dualist = 5-5/ Flame Fist 4-6/ Dragon Fire 3-7
Vs F/T Ruthless 5-5, don't know about the others
Vs Ermac Mystic 6-4/ Master of Souls 5-5, maybe 4-6
Vs Raiden Thundergod, Teleporter 5-5
Vs Takeda Shiray Ryu 6-4
Vs Quan Chi 5-5
Vs Jax 5-5
Vs Shinnok Impostor 5-5/ Boneshaper 4-6/ Necromancer 5-5
Vs Kung Lao Tempest 4-6/ Buzzsaw 3-7
Vs Predator Hunter 6-4/ Hish Qu Ten 4-6
Vs Jacquie Full auto 5-5, don't know about the rest
Vs Goro 6-4
Vs Jason 6-4
Vs Sonya Covert Ops 5-5, not sure about the other variations
Vs Dvorah 4-6
Vs Kenshi 5-5
Vs Kung Jin 5-5
Pretty reasonable MU chart I must say, good job. From my experience I'll chime in on a few. Assuming this is all A-List:

LK dragon's Fire - 3-7 seems a bit harsh, I don't know if I can agree with that until I experience it first hand lol, I need experience against top level DF because I don't see it being a 3-7 in theory.

Buzzsaw lao - I personally think this is not a bad match. 5-5 probably, idk exactly. Buzzsaw damage is so low and the zoning is upplayed. The damage from the hats it's really low. Sure it controls space but if you trade with FB your projectile does more damage and causes a longer hit stun on trade. I have experience in this match and don't think it seems bad in theory or experience.

Jason - I think JC beats relentless 7-3, slasher 6-4. Not totally sure about unstoppable but many of the same tools as relentless so likely 7-3.

Tremor - I have a lot of experience vs all of tremor variations, my opinion at the moment is crystalline 5-5, aftershock 4-6, metallic 6-4. If you have any tips/experience that makes you think he beats aftershock and crystalline, let me know

GM Sub zero does indeed seem like a horrible match. Not sure yet if I think it's 3-7 but yeah I'd say it's his worst MU for sure.

Killer Xinok

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015
All right. I get your point. That makes sense.. I'll watch out for that..
But I really think this is 6-4 in cage's favor, about the zooning, I think that in the worst case scenario we will eat 10% chip damage until reach him.. When in close combat, liu options are very bad against cage.. f3 into 12 beats his armors and pokes if you want, and also it's true blockstring if you want, d4 beating all his armors, and you have to outfootsie him against his d3, that has a very slow recovery

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Pretty reasonable MU chart I must say, good job. From my experience I'll chime in on a few. Assuming this is all A-List:

LK dragon's Fire - 3-7 seems a bit harsh, I don't know if I can agree with that until I experience it first hand lol, I need experience against top level DF because I don't see it being a 3-7 in theory.

Buzzsaw lao - I personally think this is not a bad match. 5-5 probably, idk exactly. Buzzsaw damage is so low and the zoning is upplayed. The damage from the hats it's really low. Sure it controls space but if you trade with FB your projectile does more damage and causes a longer hit stun on trade. I have experience in this match and don't think it seems bad in theory or experience.

Jason - I think JC beats relentless 7-3, slasher 6-4. Not totally sure about unstoppable but many of the same tools as relentless so likely 7-3.

Tremor - I have a lot of experience vs all of tremor variations, my opinion at the moment is crystalline 5-5, aftershock 4-6, metallic 6-4. If you have any tips/experience that makes you think he beats aftershock and crystalline, let me know

GM Sub zero does indeed seem like a horrible match. Not sure yet if I think it's 3-7 but yeah I'd say it's his worst MU for sure.
DF isnt 3-7 but its pretty harsh. Liu d3 vs cage is karma bitch slapping us for our d4 in basically every matchup going. Its faster than your mids and goes under your highs, is + on block if you choose to bait reversal and stop pushing buttons its favour to him. When you play a strong DF main you think hes taking the piss out of you with d3,d3,d3 on block/hit/whatever just to check your patience, but its really not funny when he low profiles EX Nut and EX Shadowkick, beats out f3/f2/d3/d4 and recovers fast enough that you cant whiff punish it by stepping back. The actual block pressure and stuff is cool and he has good mixups and tick throws, but there are plenty of times where he can push d3 for a free opening no matter what you are doing.

Dja_Homies

Kaz...... I'm already a Fiddle.
Okay I just did an on the spot MU chart for SD as how I'm feeling now, good chance a lot is wrong and I'm still not sure on certain mu's the one I put ?? On means I have really no idea
I'm sure there is some controversial stuff here but that's the fun ay :p

In no order
Stunt Double Mu

Vs Tanya Kobu 4-6
Vs Kotal 6-4 (potential 5-5)
Vs Erron Black 5-5 (6-4 potentially)
Vs Kitana 6-4
Vs Mileana 5-5 (6-4 potentially)
Vs Tremor 6-4 (Crystalline 5-5)
Vs Sub Zero GM 5-5
Vs Scorpion 6-4
Vs Cassie 5-5
Vs Reptile 5-5
Vs Kano 5-5 ( I think Cyber could beat JC but since I only played it online and other SD players disagreed I leave at 5-5)
Vs Liu Kang 4-6 (6-4 Dualist)
Vs F/T 6-4
Vs Ermac 5-5
Vs Raiden 6-4
Vs Takada 5-5?
Vs Quan Chi 5-5
Vs Jax 5-5 (potentially 4-6)
Vs Shinnok 4-6 (potentially 5-5)
Vs Kung Lao 4-6
Vs Predator 5-5
Vs Jaqcui full auto 5-5 (the rest 6-4)
Vs Goro 6-4
Vs Jason 7-3
Vs Sonya 5-5
Vs Dvorah 5-5
Vs Kenshi 6-4
Kung Jin 5-5?

I feel ant char that can has better and faster Footsies tools that give using D4 or F3 a problem.
Also accompanying the chars that force JC to use his biggest weakness, to jump.

So basically any char that can keep SD out and can give him trouble up close since he had no room to play his biggest strength the neutral game

SD zoning can work with him or against him, as when you hit them with a MSK you are knocking them away which works good against Cassie and Kotal but against a char like Lui Ksng you are just knocking them away so they can zone you again

Again don't take this as official I could change it next week lol

Going by my list He has a lot of winning MUs
I agree with most of this and I say the same on your reasoning. Mus I'd change are
Kotal 5-5 but if anyone wins it it's Johnny. Kotals footsies can compete with johnnys spacing.
Kitana is a 5-5 her zoning can be annoying if you're not patient and maneuvering around her could be tough. If you try jumping and get hit it's back to square one but stunt double gets his way once he gets in and baiting one of her wake ups will result to her death. So I can see sd favor.
Aftershock tremor is either 4-6 or 5-5. His air ground pound is very annoying for Johnny since stunt double only has straight balls but d4 is a blessing for this mu ever since the s2 becoming high nerf.
I've played liu kang quite a bit I think it's 5-5 but most of you say it's 4-6 so I'm not sure.
Takeda is. Definitely 5-5 and I could post a set between me vs raptor. Johnny literally has free reloads against takeda even from 333 reload.
I think hqt could beat Johnny but I need to run that mu more offline.
Sonya is tricky due to her air attacks but I can see 5-5 I prefer alist for that mu but I can win the mu with SD
Goro is 5-5 from what I've played with armor due to punchwalk and punchwalk punishing ex nutpunch on block. They're footsies and armor are also equal and punch walk seems like a good threat in the neutral
Shinnok is 5-5 for me atm. I've played nubcakes and wound and so far it seems 5-5
Overall good list and I agree with most of it. Glad someone has the same up playing views as me :)

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Cage vs Liu is somewhere between a 4-6 and a 3-7. Liu completely controls the pace of the game. His walk speed is so good that he can stay just close than fullscreen and low fireball to low profile any forceball attempts. Then I'm pretty sure his B2 out ranges F3, and a good liu will use B2 a lot. This then opens up opportunities for F4 which leads to full combo on hit and pressure on block. Once Cage gets momentum then he can pressure Liu for sure, but Lius neutral seems like a perfect counter for Cage's. Low fireball, F4 and B2 control space so good vs Cage.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
See SZ D4 and B2 out footsie JCs D4 F3, JC jump is really bad if Sub clone in the corner your force to just block as jumping is not an option I'm not sold on this in JCs favour yet
Plus with Ice clone You can be as wild with F3 as we comfortably are.
Yeah i agree, i said it is losing for cage. F3 will likely beat b2, and both characters have great d4s. The klone does hurt johnny tho, eclipse kick is our best choice but its a high so its definitley a bad matchup. Plus slide shits on forceballs.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
That is too outdated, I have very different numbers now
ty

Yeah cage beats balanced kenshi for sure. I'd also say he is 4-6 vs grandmaster and even with cryo. Those are just the characters I have the knowledge to speak on. I'd say it's slightly out dated.
i agree sub is hard mu for him = @I Am The LK

Okay I just did an on the spot MU chart for SD as how I'm feeling now, good chance a lot is wrong and I'm still not sure on certain mu's the one I put ?? On means I have really no idea
I'm sure there is some controversial stuff here but that's the fun ay :p

In no order
Stunt Double Mu

Vs Tanya Kobu 4-6
Vs Kotal 6-4 (potential 5-5)
Vs Erron Black 5-5 (6-4 potentially)
Vs Kitana 6-4
Vs Mileana 5-5 (6-4 potentially)
Vs Tremor 6-4 (Crystalline 5-5)
Vs Sub Zero GM 5-5
Vs Scorpion 6-4
Vs Cassie 5-5
Vs Reptile 5-5
Vs Kano 5-5 ( I think Cyber could beat JC but since I only played it online and other SD players disagreed I leave at 5-5)
Vs Liu Kang 4-6 (6-4 Dualist)
Vs F/T 6-4
Vs Ermac 5-5
Vs Raiden 6-4
Vs Takada 5-5?
Vs Quan Chi 5-5
Vs Jax 5-5 (potentially 4-6)
Vs Shinnok 4-6 (potentially 5-5)
Vs Kung Lao 4-6
Vs Predator 5-5
Vs Jaqcui full auto 5-5 (the rest 6-4)
Vs Goro 6-4
Vs Jason 7-3
Vs Sonya 5-5
Vs Dvorah 5-5
Vs Kenshi 6-4
Kung Jin 5-5?

I feel ant char that can has better and faster Footsies tools that give using D4 or F3 a problem.
Also accompanying the chars that force JC to use his biggest weakness, to jump.

So basically any char that can keep SD out and can give him trouble up close since he had no room to play his biggest strength the neutral game

SD zoning can work with him or against him, as when you hit them with a MSK you are knocking them away which works good against Cassie and Kotal but against a char like Lui Ksng you are just knocking them away so they can zone you again

Again don't take this as official I could change it next week lol

Going by my list He has a lot of winning MUs
thanks alot
@I Am The LK

My opinion on A-List MUs

Vs Tanya Kobu 4-6, maybe 3-7
Vs Kotal Sun God 6-4/ War God 6-4/ Blood God ?
Vs Erron Black 5-5 all variations
Vs Kitana Royal Storm 5-5
Vs Mileena 5-5
Vs Tremor 6-4
Vs Sub Zero GM 3-7/ Cryomancer 5-5
Vs Scorpion 6-4
Vs Cassie 4-6, might be worse
Vs Reptile 5-5
Vs Kano 5-5
Vs Liu Kang Dualist = 5-5/ Flame Fist 4-6/ Dragon Fire 3-7
Vs F/T Ruthless 5-5, don't know about the others
Vs Ermac Mystic 6-4/ Master of Souls 5-5, maybe 4-6
Vs Raiden Thundergod, Teleporter 5-5
Vs Takeda Shiray Ryu 6-4
Vs Quan Chi 5-5
Vs Jax 5-5
Vs Shinnok Impostor 5-5/ Boneshaper 4-6/ Necromancer 5-5
Vs Kung Lao Tempest 4-6/ Buzzsaw 3-7
Vs Predator Hunter 6-4/ Hish Qu Ten 4-6
Vs Jacquie Full auto 5-5, don't know about the rest
Vs Goro 6-4
Vs Jason 6-4
Vs Sonya Covert Ops 5-5, not sure about the other variations
Vs Dvorah 4-6
Vs Kenshi 5-5
Vs Kung Jin 5-5
thank you so much guys great shit. helps alot:)
@I Am The LK

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I agree with most of this and I say the same on your reasoning. Mus I'd change are
Kotal 5-5 but if anyone wins it it's Johnny. Kotals footsies can compete with johnnys spacing.
Kitana is a 5-5 her zoning can be annoying if you're not patient and maneuvering around her could be tough. If you try jumping and get hit it's back to square one but stunt double gets his way once he gets in and baiting one of her wake ups will result to her death. So I can see sd favor.
Aftershock tremor is either 4-6 or 5-5. His air ground pound is very annoying for Johnny since stunt double only has straight balls but d4 is a blessing for this mu ever since the s2 becoming high nerf.
I've played liu kang quite a bit I think it's 5-5 but most of you say it's 4-6 so I'm not sure.
Takeda is. Definitely 5-5 and I could post a set between me vs raptor. Johnny literally has free reloads against takeda even from 333 reload.
I think hqt could beat Johnny but I need to run that mu more offline.
Sonya is tricky due to her air attacks but I can see 5-5 I prefer alist for that mu but I can win the mu with SD
Goro is 5-5 from what I've played with armor due to punchwalk and punchwalk punishing ex nutpunch on block. They're footsies and armor are also equal and punch walk seems like a good threat in the neutral
Shinnok is 5-5 for me atm. I've played nubcakes and wound and so far it seems 5-5
Overall good list and I agree with most of it. Glad someone has the same up playing views as me :)
Yeah I updated The Kotal, Shinnok and somebody else which I forget, atleast we have something to work off :D

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
Yeah I updated The Kotal, Shinnok and somebody else which I forget, atleast we have something to work off :D
Basically this, after playing alot of Kotal, Goro and Shinnok last night at WNF. I can see all 3 being 5-5. Goro can probably slightly be moved over to 6-4 (the fact that you have to delay your combos is obnoxious, and his footsies can compete with yours)

IrishMantis

Basically this, after playing alot of Kotal, Goro and Shinnok last night at WNF. I can see all 3 being 5-5. Goro can probably slightly be moved over to 6-4 (the fact that you have to delay your combos is obnoxious, and his footsies can compete with yours)
Wow Goro can SD trouble interesting I'll put it 5-5 I guess since I have 0 knowledge but thanks for the input you play SD too?

Death

Noob
Some MUs I've played that feel like are disadv for A list would be Shinnok, Quan Chi, Tanya, Sub, Predator. These MUs imo are 4.5-5.5 or 4-6. So not to bad.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
Wow Goro can SD trouble interesting I'll put it 5-5 I guess since I have 0 knowledge but thanks for the input you play SD too?
I play A-list, I mess with SD for match ups where it is necessary (for me its just been kenshi and sub) but a list gives johnny trouble just because of his d3/d4(I forget which one it is, but its really f'n good) and in the tigrar fury match up if you dont have armor its like(correct me if im wrong i havent looked at the numbers) a 1-2f window to d1/1 him out of string xx flame breath. its kinda dumb

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
Some MUs I've played that feel like are disadv for A list would be Shinnok, Quan Chi, Tanya, Sub, Predator. These MUs imo are 4.5-5.5 or 4-6. So not to bad.
idk quan chi isnt that bad for a list i feel, fisticuffs is still the go to in that mu i feel. Shinnok Sub and Maybe predator are not so annoying with SD. Knockdown with SK is so nice

IrishMantis

So I cleaned out the tier list to make it easier to read, still welcome for input

Stunt Double Living MU Chart

7-3
Jason

6-4
Tremor - Metalic
Scorpion
Ferra/Torr
Raiden
Jacqui - High Tech and Shotgun
Mileana - Ravenous and piercing
Kenshi
Liu Kang -Dualist

5-5
Mileana - Ethereal
Tremor - Crystaline and Aftershock (potentially 6-4)
Kitana
Jacqui - Full Auto
Jax
Erron Black
Shinnok
Ermac - MoS
Takada
Sub Zero
Reptile
Kano
Kotal
Quan Chi
Dvorah
Predator
Sonya
Kung Jin
Cassie (Potential 4-6)

4-6
Kung Lao
Tanya - Kobu
Liu Kang - Flamefist and Dragon Fire

You may notice I list some variation and then most I don't, this is based on 2 reasons;

1 - I have no idea about these variations

2 - I judge it from the whole char if the other variations are not notable and it would take all day.

I'm not way claiming this is an official match up chart but with enough input from credible SD players I'm confident it can act as the foundation of a MU Chart :D

Last edited:

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Maybe I should state Wargod in the MU maybe since I wouldn't be too sure on the Sun God, but for Wargod You can Fuzzy all of his mix ups and full combo punish both Kotals options, Kotals Staggers are crazy but as you say he cant stagger forever and eventually he's going have to comit to something, even if he does stagger EX SK if you got the meter if it's hits take out the clones and it's time for him get in, I know you also co main Kotal and I respect that you could be right, or maybe you speaking about SunGodwhich I don't have too much exp with, I'm just going with my Eco with the Wargod which doesn't mean I'm right I think DJA also thinks SD beats Kotal , but you never know I'll could be back soon saying you where right along

I'll add potential 5-5
@Dja_Homies @Name v.5.0
I'm thinking I can adjust it too what the majority think, I have Cassie 5-5 but i have yet to play a really scary Cassie so do you guys really think it's in Cassies favour?
I'll believe it's 4-6 until an SDJC proves me wrong.

Dja_Homies

Kaz...... I'm already a Fiddle.
So I cleaned out the tier list to make it easier to read, still welcome for input

7-3
Jason

6-4
Tremor - Metalic
Scorpion
Ferra/Torr
Raiden
Kenshi
Liu Kang -Dualist

5-5
Mileana (potentially 6-4)
Kitana
Jacqui - Full Auto
Jax
Erron Black
Shinnok
Ermac -MoS
Takada
Sub Zero
Reptile
Kano
Kotal
Quan Chi
Dvorah
Predator
Sonya
Kung Jin
Cassie

4-6
Kung Lao
Tanya - Kobu

You may notice I list some variation and then most I don't, this is based on 2 reasons;

2 - I judge it from the whole char if the other variations are not notable and it would take all day.

I'm not way claiming this is an official match up chart but with enough input from credible SD players I'm confident it can act as the foundation off of MU Chart :D
Just got some time to post my opinion of this. Great list and its very close to mine. #potentialupplayingforlife

My only changes would be aftershock being a 4-6 since tremor can zone really well and keep cage out well since cage can't counter zone with arched projectiles. D4 does help a lot so who knows potential 5-5. 4-6 imo atm.
Other than that the other 4-6s I see are most likely 5-5. Great list man. I'll add some more when I expand more on mus.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch

7-3
Jason

6-4
Tremor - Metalic
Scorpion
Ferra/Torr
Raiden
Mileana - Ravenous
Kenshi
Liu Kang -Dualist

5-5
Mileana - Ethereal and Piercing (potentially 6-4)
Kitana
Jacqui - Full Auto
Jax
Erron Black
Shinnok
Ermac - MoS
Takada
Sub Zero
Reptile
Kano
Kotal
Quan Chi
Dvorah
Predator
Sonya
Kung Jin
Cassie (Potential 4-6)

4-6
Kung Lao
Tanya - Kobu

I'm not way claiming this is an official match up chart but with enough input from credible SD players I'm confident it can act as the foundation of a MU Chart :D
This is really accurate but i would put Mileena piercing as a 6-4, Ethereal is so much better as fade has invincibility frames and make her slippery enough to avoid a lot of our shit and also can be used as a pressure tool. If she teleports away you can shadowkick after her but with clones up its a ball ache, so that variation is her best for cage. Also she can roll pretty much anything you do into clones, as she low profiles the shadowkick which can trade other character. Its not a losing matchup for us, but its not a winning one either when she knows how to fade properly.

IrishMantis

This is really accurate but i would put Mileena piercing as a 6-4, Ethereal is so much better as fade has invincibility frames and make her slippery enough to avoid a lot of our shit and also can be used as a pressure tool. If she teleports away you can shadowkick after her but with clones up its a ball ache, so that variation is her best for cage. Also she can roll pretty much anything you do into clones, as she low profiles the shadowkick which can trade other character. Its not a losing matchup for us, but its not a winning one either when she knows how to fade properly.
Just got some time to post my opinion of this. Great list and its very close to mine. #potentialupplayingforlife

My only changes would be aftershock being a 4-6 since tremor can zone really well and keep cage out well since cage can't counter zone with arched projectiles. D4 does help a lot so who knows potential 5-5. 4-6 imo atm.
Other than that the other 4-6s I see are most likely 5-5. Great list man. I'll add some more when I expand more on mus.
Thanks for the input guys, I play @1man3letters Mileana and Tremor but it be more against Erhereal and Cystalline but Aftershock could be I guess, I'll slap in potential

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Thanks for the input guys, I play @1man3letters Mileana and Tremor but it be more against Erhereal and Cystalline but Aftershock could be I guess, I'll slap in potential
mileena vs stunt double at the moment id put
vs piercing unsure on 5-5 or 4-6
vs 5-5 vs ethereal
vs 4-6 vs ravenous
when f34 changed from -8 the mu changed a good bit thats why im still unsure on piercing, plus her b12 also got better, especially on whiff.

vs tremor feel same way that you do, kinda feel crystalline does bit better than aftershock because of flex/crystalline shatters.
its good to have a extra tool to keep cage out but hes just safer in that variation that cage can punish aftershock straight/low shatter on block & his d4 will low profile db2/db2u/db1 it limits his reversal game bit more to db1d or slower db2d,which isnt ideal. it is nice up shatter hits cage on crouch block though.
prefer using aftershock over metallic in the mu for sure though

IrishMantis

Just a heads up

JCs B3 is a really reliable aa for Kotal on reaction, you can combo off it too

I also got a bit gimmicky tech
It only works on standing male chars, if you do a jump 4 into nutpunch at 11-1 o'clock, it OS's because of the change of direction, if they block the nutpunch won't come out and if they get hit it does, it's s nice option for when you take the risk of cross jumping .
The Ex whiffs though.

It's not gonna change his game or anything but I thought I might as well post it.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I think Stunt Double is seriously fucked vs Mileena

She can do a regular roll under out of any mimic setup. She can roll under both the shadowkick and uppercut (and the EX versions).

@Dja_Homies @Name v.5.0
I wonder if their community knows about it...

I guess with her we'll have to change the normals we use before launching EXMRS and MSK.So instead of F24~EXMRS, just do F2~EXMRS or 33 instead of 333. That kinda shit. Then she wont know when to input the roll. I never did this much anyway. Due to her propensity to hang herself, I generally save MRS for combos. You can basically touch her twice and kill her.

Edit: You know that her teleport kick is completely punishable right? The sai throw doesnt save her.