What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage Matchup Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
In the Sub GM MU, SD is just the way to go A list suffers a lot in that MU.
Have you ever played the Unbreakable MU with SDJC?

I played one guy online just got butt fucked. He negates chip and mimics...after that what does JC have left? Throws?

He only played me to 3 and then bailed out and never accepted my friend request. I really want more experience in that MU.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?

I played one guy online just got butt fucked. He negates chip and mimics...after that what does JC have left? Throws?

He only played me to 3 and then bailed out and never accepted my friend request. I really want more experience in that MU.
you have footsies

rafaw

#YouSuck

For SD thats horrible, bc he got everything to counter you pressure and chip, you got to win the mind games there, bait the parry and punish, but its in theyr favor i guess.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
The SD Johnny, Tempest Lao MU may very well be a 4-6. After picking up Lao and playing a couple very good TKL's in long sets...I'm finding he's at advantage almost the entire match.

Hell SDJC vs all top tier is starting to feel very up hill.

The SD Johnny, Tempest Lao MU may very well be a 4-6. After picking up Lao and playing a couple very good TKL's in long sets...I'm finding he's at advantage almost the entire match.

Hell SDJC vs all top tier is starting to feel very up hill.
Yeah originally I was thinking it was worse at 3-7 but it might just be 4-6 (in A-List). Cassie still feels like his hardest MU, regardless of the variation.

It does seem like he struggles against most of the top tiers, except Jax and Raiden. To me Cage can go toe to toe with them in the neutral, and his d4 gives both of those characters a lot of trouble.

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
Hahah it's exactly how i predicted it would be, everyone was uplaying cage and what not and then seeing michaelangelo and DJT in tournament really brought on the uplaying lol

The fact is JC is pretty bad, and it's mostly because of glitches not his toolset.

Not that he couldn't get a boost in the toolset department though. The fact is that everyone on TYM has the don't "whine for buffs attitude and get gud skrub" mentality which clouds judgment on certain things.

The kenshi players did not give a fuck about this mentality.

The Kitana players did not give a fuck about this mentality.

People made fun of them for whining all day and you know what happened? They said fuck you and still got what they wanted lol.

Now we are on patch 4 and not only did johnny cage pretty much NEVER get touched(they say they fixed his mids but this was not true) he got NERFED lol.

So much for pride right? Good on us! We JC players don't need buffs! We don't need anything HE IZ FINE THE WAY HE IS!

*switches to another character*
True af , can cage community be a little less humble please!!???

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Yeah originally I was thinking it was worse at 3-7 but it might just be 4-6 (in A-List). Cassie still feels like his hardest MU, regardless of the variation.

It does seem like he struggles against most of the top tiers, except Jax and Raiden. To me Cage can go toe to toe with them in the neutral, and his d4 gives both of those characters a lot of trouble.
I definitely agree with the 5-5 Jax MU. That's a fun MU, one of my favorites to play.

I've become so frustrated with JC. Good players know the MU, and they know how to block. I sometimes feel like the only way I can open anyone up is with a fucking armored nut punch. F2 combos hit maybe twice a match...I might be slightly biased due to the frustration.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
STUNT DOUBLE JOHNNY CAGE MU CHART

I went ahead and wrote this up last night. This is an early draft of the MU's I'm more comfortable showing. I have thoughts on others but I'm not sure about them. Hell, it's early and I'm not 100% sure about the ones posted. Let's just call this an early MU chart that is subject to change.

Jason
Relentless: 5-5
Slasher: 7-3
Unstoppable:

Kung Lao
Buzzsaw: 5-5
Tempest: 5-5
Hat Trick:

Jax
Heavy Weapons: 5-5
Pumped Up: 5-5
Wrestler: 5-5

Sonya
Covert Ops: 5-5
Demolition:
Special Forces: might be 4-6

Kenshi
Balanced: 5-5
Kenjitsu:
Possessed:

Kitana
Royal Storm: 5-5 (possible 4-6)
Assassin:
Mournful: 4-6

Scorpion
Ninjitsu:
Hellfire:
Inferno: 5-5

Sub Zero
Grand Master: 6-4
Cryomancer: 6-4
Unbreakable: In theory, this is the variation to use agains SDJC

Mileena
Ravenous: 5-5
Piercing: 5-5
Ethereal:

Takeda
Shirai Ryu: 5-5 (possible 6-4)
Lasher:
Ronin:

Cassie
Hollywood: 4-6 (would be 5-5 except all SDJC's normals whiff)
Brawler: 4-6 (same as above)
Spec Ops: 3-7 (should be 4-6...whiffing...)

Jacqui
Full Auto: 5-5
Shotgun:
High Tech:

Kung Jin
Bojitsu: 4-6
Shaolin:
Ancestral:

Tanya
Pyromancer: 5-5 (prepatch this was 3-7 if not 2-8. LoL)
Dragon Naginata:
Kobu Jutsu:

Predator
Hish Qu Ten:
Hunter:
Warrior:

Shinnok
Imposter: 4-6
Bone Shaper: 3-7
Necromancer:

Kano
Cutthroat: 5-5
Cybernetic: 5-5
Comanndo:

Johnny Cage
Stunt Double:
A-List:
Fisticuffs:

Erron Black
Outlaw: 5-5
Marksman: 5-5
Gunslinger:

Liu Kang
Dragon Fire: 4-6
Flame Fist: 4-6
Dualist:

Ermac
Master of Souls: 5-5
Mystic:
Spectral?: Couldnt even remember this variation

Kotal Kahn
War God: 5-5 (really want to lean to 6-4)
Sun God: 6-4
Blood God:

Reptile
All variations 5-5

Ferra/Torr
Lackey:
Vicious:
Ruthless:

Dvorah
Swarm Queen: 5-5
Venomous: Pretty sure it's 5-5
Brood Mother:

Raiden
Thunder God: 4-6
Displacer:
Master of Storms:

Quan Chi
Summoner: 5-5
Warlock:
Sorcerer:

Goro
Kuatan Warrior:
Tigrar Fury:
Dragon Fang:

Totals:

Wins: 4
Loses: 9
Even: 27

@Asodimazze @smokey @Mikemetroid .... I'm not even sure who to tag anymore
No sub goes even if with sd in gm and beats the rest its also arguable that sub wins

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
Fought a dragon fire player this morning and he made me salty as fuck by zoning me with high and low fireballs. He couldn't does his FB run cancel so when I won a round by constantly being in his face. Then it went downhill. I use stunt double btw. So round 2 rolls around and I tried closing the distant with mb shadow kick but wasn't having any success. Trying to trade projectiles isn't a possibility. This match up has gotta be Johnny's worst match up. Any tips?

rafaw

#YouSuck
Fought a dragon fire player this morning and he made me salty as fuck by zoning me with high and low fireballs. He couldn't does his FB run cancel so when I won a round by constantly being in his face. Then it went downhill. I use stunt double btw. So round 2 rolls around and I tried closing the distant with mb shadow kick but wasn't having any success. Trying to trade projectiles isn't a possibility. This match up has gotta be Johnny's worst match up. Any tips?
For sure its not his worst, cassie and SZ GM(this one for a list) is fucked up.
In the DF case, Ex shadow kick is good to get in his face if you are not hitting it its on you bc it should hit!

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
For sure its not his worst, cassie and SZ GM(this one for a list) is fucked up.
In the DF case, Ex shadow kick is good to get in his face if you are not hitting it its on you bc it should hit!
It was still hitting him and I could convert at times into f24 combos. Was looking for other tips. I don't mind the GM match up but I play stunt double and we don't play that clone bs.

rafaw

#YouSuck
It was still hitting him and I could convert at times into f24 combos. Was looking for other tips. I don't mind the GM match up but I play stunt double and we don't play that clone bs.
Against GM i use SD too, a list just suck against it.
Im having a hard time puting in words the liu matchup, in general i dont have that much problem against him.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Against GM i use SD too, a list just suck against it.
Im having a hard time puting in words the liu matchup, in general i dont have that much problem against him.
Honestly you don't have trouble because you're not playing good enough Liu's.

Cage 100% cannot escape his pressure unless he has meter, and he gets outzoned. Using meter to get in is just throwing away your only defenses against Kang's pressure.

rafaw

#YouSuck
Honestly you don't have trouble because you're not playing good enough Liu's.

Cage 100% cannot escape his pressure unless he has meter, and he gets outzoned. Using meter to get in is just throwing away your only defenses against Kang's pressure.
Yeah i know that, i fight a decent Liu sometimes, his pressure is good but not that hard to defend, and he can zone... its for sure in his favor this MU.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Yeah i know that, i fight a decent Liu sometimes, his pressure is good but not that hard to defend, and he can zone... its for sure in his favor this MU.
The problem isn't the defending, it's that you just have to sit and block it all if you don't have meter.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
The problem isn't the defending, it's that you just have to sit and block it all if you don't have meter.
In all reality, this MU should be marked at 3-7 if not 2-8 right now. The second it's his turn to make a move, you're boned. Better hope he messes up or something.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Your talking about fbDC?
After he has depleted his stamina, LK can do mb flying kick, and unless JC has meter he can't backdash/poke to beat a b1 follow up. So he's getting pushed towards the corner where LK can do the infinite on him.

rafaw

#YouSuck
After he has depleted his stamina, LK can do mb flying kick, and unless JC has meter he can't backdash/poke to beat a b1 follow up. So he's getting pushed towards the corner where LK can do the infinite on him.
Yeah, but this gonna be nerfed... cant keep it like that! for now we are fucked =D

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Tempest is broken, the more I play this matchup the more I'm sick of it.

How am I supposed to catch him if his jump back 2 covers half screen? Can't use projectiles because teleport punishes me on reaction

Why the hell his db1 is only -3? Any poke or other string into that might be dead for me if I tried to counterpoke and he cancelled it in db1. If I block nothing happens he can still jump back 2 or try something else, -3 is not enough to stop.

Is it fair that he can jump on me from half screen and I have to respect it no matter what? Can't do anything about that.

After a knockdown I might as well concede the round. when he has the orbiting hat active I can only block and he chips me to death obviously

I'm pretty upset, yes
Any tips other than changing character?

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
he can't teleport to beat your zoning on reaction, so bait and punish if it's a go to thing for the Lao. Jump back 2 in neutral it's dumb but you just got to throw fireballs. He can't jump back after any blocked orbiting hat because f3 catches him. Be ready to punish 44 if they drop the combo link. In neutral, orbiting hat run ins can be low profiled by d4. I believe this mu is even, despite getting bodied by foxy everytime we play. J2 from half screen is broke but it's like that against most of the cast.