What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

P.F.

Noob
Cage is pretty much the same, we just got to wait for the patch and see what they fixed and what still whiffs.
Stunt double was buffed a bit since F34 is now totally safe, but that's all. We will probably benefit more from the general fixes and the new meta than from Johnny particular changes.

I predict a decent mid tier placement for A-List and Stunt Double, but better forget that fisticuff exist.

Edit: A-List F34 is NOT the same as the general F34. It is listed at -11 on block and the animation is different, I doubt the patch affected it
I heard aerials are being nerfed in general. What does this mean exactly? Are bullshit hitboxes like Kotal/Sub's JIP being fixed?

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I had dropped Cage for Erron due to his whiffing issues. Although Erron's my main guy now, I'll be switching him up with Cage a lot more often now.

Frosted 57

Reforming Lurker
From my minimal testing I can say that 11, 114, 12 and 21 hit consistently on the small hitbox crouching characters. However b3 appears to be the same or slightly better. His high attacks 1 and 3 still whiff against the same crouch blocking characters. Ex Forceballs still whiff randomly on these characters as well. 113xxUpShadow is the same as far as I can tell. His jump attacks appear to be exactly the same as they were.

*Edit; f24 into 12 seems much easier now. I am getting combo's that used to be tough for me almost 100% of the time. Also Speed Bag push back seems different... but I can't really quantify it yet.

Last edited:

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Not sure if the actual frames were changed but inputs on run cancels seem much more strict for JC.

Edit: if I had to guess, seems like you can't buffer run. Not sure if it's cage specific or a change to the input system (all run cancels)

Last edited:

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
IS CAGE BASICALLY DONE FOR NOW THAT PEOPLE CAN POKE HIS FRAME TRAPS?
Whats up with the caps? Jeeez
Cant Talk about the Patch yet, PC and shit ;(

//Edit:
@GGA Dizzy
The timings could maybe have changed because they killed the option selects, just a wild guess

Last edited:

zoofs

bless
its not the character for anyone unaware, its literally the run cancel mechanic in general for everyone. There is an issue with not being able to buffer/input run immediately, not sure if it was intentional or not but I seriously hope it wasn't.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
It's up in the air right now as I have found out it is happening to other characters as well.

All of the run cancels are fucked up and near useless now, we are not sure if this is a bug or universal change.
yeah I'm sure they will fix this. Even nrs wouldn't universally rape all run chars

Right?

Killer Xinok

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015
Yeah guys.. it seems we faced our first nerf on Cage.. but it doesn't seen to kill him.. we just have to adapt to the timing.. some friends of Brazil said that the combo is a little harder now, and they couldn't connect 2 sk run cancels.. I will try it today to ser what I get.. when the psn update

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Yeah guys.. it seems se faced our first nerf on Cage.. but it doesn't seen to kill him.. we just have to adapt to the timing.. some friends of Brazil said that the combo is a little harder now, and they couldn't connect 2 sk run cancels.. I will try it today to ser what I get.. when the psn update
Sorry but is not like that, it is not just a question of timing. You'll see it for yourself

Killer Xinok

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015
That's pretty bad D: It's time to train goro lol .. But.. with only 1 run cancel, things will get a little harder for us.. they gave the pretzels and took out the pizza :'(

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
First impressions.

Base JC Report:

114, 11, 12, B34, S4, 21 all seem to "mostly" work. The mids in the strings land now. Against small hitbox characters the first move in the string, which is usually a high, still whiffs on crouch blocking opponent.

We still arent super strong in the anti air department. I did a lot of testing against jump ins and cross overs against characters with OP jump ins. I actually feel it's a bit easier to anti air them with S1, S2, D2, and even D1. I still wouldn't recommend it without tons of practice against every jump in. However EX Nut Punch feels a bit easier to do as well, along with NJP. So those are still options...I guess...

Stunt Double Report:

F3,4 buff is welcome. It's a tool I think I'm going to use a lot to get in now.

Clones still go away if you're parried, or if an X-Ray is landed. So I guess that was intended??? I actually dont believe it was, and still believe it's an oversight.

113~MRS still whiffs on all small hitbox characters, and many male characters when your back is turned. That's pretty fucking stupid. This still needs fixed.

EX-Forceballs still oddly whiff on low hitbox characters. If you stand right next to the opponent with no gap between you, the first forceball will always miss. I think this is because the forceball becomes active behind the opponents head. Sometimes the 2nd hits, sometimes it doesn't. I can only infer that it's because of breathing hitboxes. Against Sub Zero I wasnt able to use EX-Forceballs right next to him, but if I backed up, both forceballs hit him. Against Cassie if I back up sometimes both miss, sometimes just one...Ridiculous.

Lone

KHAOTIC
I'm sure the 4f change they applied to Liu's fire ball cancel window was also applied across the board, just have to wait for official word on when it'll be reverted for the other run characters. Sigh, DF got that double whammy, you guys will be ok come a hotfix.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
That's pretty bad D: It's time go train goro lol .. But.. with only 1 run cancel, things will get a little harder for us.. they gave the pretzels and took out the pizza :'(
Maybe I'm not clear enough....forget about the double cancel, we don't get anything out of SKRC in general lol. Our pressure is non existent and on hit we don't get our combo anymore.

From what I can see after a fast testing, F2SKRC and 4SKRC don't combo anymore and lost a billion frames of advantage on block.
F3SKRC can combo, but it's a much slower cancel. I don't think you get advantage on block.
113SKRC doesn't have any advantage on block, is probably punishable. Combo out of it seems possible with 12, but extremely though. I don't think you can combo it into f2, not sure about f3 or f4.
F34SKRC has much less advantage, might be minus. D4SKRC surely isn't +7 lol

We lost waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Better hope for a fix but the character looks pretty much dead. I'll test more later.....I hope I'm wrong.