What's new

[Jan 26, 2013] KombatNetwork Presents: Operation Wolf (Red Bank, NJ)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Edit with event info:

What: KombatNetwork Presents: Operation Wolf
When: Saturday - January 26th, 2013
Where: YesterCades - 80 Broad Street - Red Bank, NJ 07701
Time: 7PM to 2AM
Predicted attendance: 40+
Venue Fee: $15
MK9 Entry Fee: $10
Bonus: $Pending
Giveaways: Pending
Stream: KombatNetwork
Pizza: Free

Tournament Format:

2/3 matches until Winners, Losers, and Grand Finals which are then 3/5. I have to stick to this players. If we get 40+ players, we will run way over on 3/5. If we get 16 or less (I HOPE NOT) we can do 3/5 for the whole tournament with strict stream rules and aggressive use of the pool stations.

DQ Rules:

Everyone will be informed when the tournament begins. If you know someone wasn't there to be told this, please inform them but it is all your own responsibility to be proactive about participation. When you are called the first time and you don't show up, you will then be called one additional time towards the middle of your section of the bracket, until your match is officially holding up the tournament. When that happens, you get the 5 minute rule. When 5 minutes expires you are DQed to the Losers Bracket. If you no show again in Losers Bracket, 5 minute rule, automatic DQ. This means you would have been called 4 times and given 10 exclusive waiting minutes to show up. This is fair, we have a job to do. This is a relatively small venue compared to the hotels we're use to.

It's not hard to be there for your matches. If you're all over the place, please leave us your number to text you. This is as good as a call on the Megaphone. If you think your match may have been called, ask us as soon as you get back and if your opponent hasn't played their next match yet, you may still be able to play that match if we're feeling generous. Do not ask us when your match will be played in minutes or if you have time to go to a restaurant and eat. If you need to step out, let us know, but the rules still apply.

There will be no pools unless we get 49-64 players, otherwise, it'll be a straight bracket run, approximately 32 to 48 players. This makes losers bracket very interesting.

Local hotels for anyone staying Friday into Saturday or Saturday into Sunday:

(pricey but very nice)
Oyster Point Hotel - Red Bank (> 1 mile from YesterCades)
Molly Pitcher Inn - Red Bank (> 1 mile from YesterCades)

(cheaper generic)
Comfort Inn - Middletown, NJ (3.5 miles from YesterCades)
Courtyard Marriot - Lincroft, NJ (2.5 miles from YesterCades)
Extended Stay America - Red Bank (2.5 miles from YesterCades)

Sorry I can't get any deals right now on hotels, the event is not big enough for that but I might be able to swing something with Oyster Point to get the rate down closer to normal since my aunt's husband is one of the head people there. If anyone is staying the weekend let me know and I'll try. With the exception of the Canadian and Mass players showing up, this is a typical day run for most players so most likely staying overnight won't be necessary.

Tournament and casuals time frame will likely be 8PM to 1AM, with setup and breakdown occurring the hour before and after. Arcade access lasts until 2AM and access before 7PM will most likely be possible via the $15 venue fee.

Likely staff for this event:

Shock
Summoning
JamessMK

If anything changes, it'll be posted ASAP.

--- Original Post ---
January 2012 saw the KombatNetwork exclusive "Revolution X" tournament, and what now can officially be called a tradition, the YesterCades MK exclusive tournaments will carry the names of random classic arcade games that have a punny or code namish sound. I wanted to run more than just one MK tournament there this year, but due to conflicting schedules with majors, the inability to run on a Saturday, and running smaller Red Bank Rumble tournaments where MK was the headliner in multiple game events, I decided to hold off until the one year anniversary.

Next year I plan on doing seasonals around majors, so expect April, July and October tournaments next year as well. I promise to schedule those outside of East Coast majors, and anticipate gravitating towards MK/Injustice hybrid tournaments. I tried to put this one smack between NEC and Final Round.

Currently, I'm looking at January 26th as the date, which is more than 2 months away, so much planning can be made. I would like to see at least 40 paid players for this event, meaning 40 people without including any staff, myself 9.95 or summoning for example. Revolution X hit I think 28 paid, maybe 30, and had a 32 player tournament. YesterCades will also promote this event locally.

Due to the issues with Red Bank Rumble not turning out the interest we hoped, I have offered to pay out the night up front to make this event happen on a Saturday. This means the cost of 2 party events back to back, or $450. My goal would be to recoop that amount through venue fees. This would mean players who are participating in the tournament would not be paying the venue directly, but essentially, paying me back.

I do not have any goals to make profit on this event, but I would like to start at a $15 venue fee, and if there is an overwhelming reply to this event, I will consider dropping it to $10, but only if we get 40-50 confirmations. Remember this fee grants you access to the entire arcade. I will discuss with Ken how to deal with spectator fees. If we run a $10 fee, that will only apply to anyone actually playing in the tournament. Otherwise it will be at least $15 and I'd advise people to make the most of that and utilize the facility. There's plenty to do there.

If it is decided to stick with a $15 venue fee and the $450 up front 2 party block, then the extra cash made over the $450 will go directly towards KombatNetwork. If Ken decides to take the risk on venue fees and waive the $450 up front, it will all go to YesterCades, which I have no problem with either, as it means I won't have to front the $450 and risk 20 people showing up at $10 a head.

Once replies start coming in I will finalize this event date with them, hopefully by the end of the week. I don't see why a date 2 months away should be a problem, and it IS a Saturday so it should open up availability for many players who want to go to this great venue and never get the chance to due to traffic and work.

Also remember there are UMK3 and MKII arcade machines. I am going to see about adding PSX controller support to the UMK3 machine since it's technically ours, so we can run some side events on those. If not, it's stick only.

Event time frame will be 7PM to 2AM, but 8PM to 1AM will be for us to run the tournament and casuals. 7PM to 8PM will be for set up, 1AM to 2AM will be breakdown. For anyone attending, those two buffer hours can easily be burned in the arcade or helping out. I'm sure anyone who wants to get to the venue early, they won't have a problem letting you in under the tournament fee. Hourly is $8.75, and it tops out at $25 after 3 hours, which then turns into their typical day pass, so $15 is 40% off!

OK, so that's enough of that. Let me know if this date works for you guys. Please tag players accordingly to see this thread. I will add some as I go. Thanks guys.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Converted the tagged list into a guest list for now.

Shock
Summoning
JamessMK
Tom Brady
AC1984
LI Joe
Sweet Johnny Cage
Check
Claude VonStroke
SwiftTomHanks
Zaf
Jer
Cibernetico
Nathan Frost +1
Scoot Magee
Gamma
Insuperable
rev0lver
Lulzlou
ChrispyCream7
Lt. Box
scarsunseen
HGTV DrFlash44
HGTV Soapboxfan
HGTV Ermacio
OZZYGUITAR
Kazi
RIN
ChainAce
OC
CD Jr
Crazy Dominican
Maxter
REO
Styroteqe
Capital
J360
Jon Loor
Hitoshura
Big Stevie N
Pat the Enforcer
MikeMetroid
7L
Sackram
xKhaoTikx
LanceMonsoon
HazeJupiter
TheTetraSpirit
n9195v
DarkRob
Troy S
Miguel G
Thomas K
Rapzilla

Maybes

Alex Smith
SonicFox5000
NeoRussell
CptXecution
Edfig81
CRUM
crosstalk
Steve
Chris C
DarkNatas
STB GoldfishKeeper
Pherleece
David Tyson
Chris G
Connor T
FrankieBonez
Dan G
Paul M
Besteban

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I'll put in the request off for it the minute I get to work today.

Once the holidays are over, I'll finally be able to start making Red Bank regularly again, thankfully.
Christmas time + retail = no free time for Box.

Tagged in the signature. Let's start pushing this sexy dance party now :D.

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
Definitely sounds interesting. Which events would you be running? Just singles for MK9, UMK3, and MKII?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Send me a banner and I will run it during show
I'll make something tonight and get it to you during the show

Fox, anyone in the tristate area should make it to this event. Once I get an idea on the date being good I will get this front paged. This venue is the fantast.

Box, thanks for advertising already!

Alex, we can run arcade UMK3 and MKII during the event, both setups have new sticks and buttons but I'll make sure they are still good before the event.

Where is everyone else?!

I'm here. Jan 26th is a long ways away.

I made it out to Revolution X and have every intention of supporting Operation Wolf as well.

And Addams Family. I want my record back.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Shock any chance of doing it earlier in the month? Only reason i'm saying that is because college will start the second or third week in january. I may not be able to go if it's on the 26th since I will most likely have a saturday class next semester. If it's the 26th then so be it, i'll try my best to make it.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Earlier is not possible for me to run it. I really have this targeted for January, the week before is MLK weekend, and the week before that is my grandmother's birthday, the week before that is too close to New Years. Talking to Ken, this was the absolute earliest I could run this event. How late in the day will your class be?

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Earlier is not possible for me to run it. I really have this targeted for January, the week before is MLK weekend, and the week before that is my grandmother's birthday, the week before that is too close to New Years. Talking to Ken, this was the absolute earliest I could run this event. How late in the day will your class be?
probably end by noon.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Everyone who attends, remember you will likely be able to come to the venue as early as possible to take advantage of the town and $15 venue fee. 7PM is just the start of tournament setup.

You can add pad support to the MK arcade cabs? That's pretty damn cool! I'll most likely make it unless something comes up during the day of the actual event!

I've been playing a lot more MKAK so maybe I'll see if I can finally take a game off you Shock.

Cheers!

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Guys, please tag anyone I forgot, like I forgot poor MikeMetroid. Sorry man haha. I plugged you in earlier after I saw you post. Soon I'll make a guest list once I confirm the date through response. YesterCades has it penciled in unless I change it.

Edit: Also want feedback on the $15 venue fee. I personally don't think it's steep because Red Bank is a very expensive area to hang out, the venue's hourly rate is $8.75 and the all day pass is $25. They run $15 as a discount for our events, which they also extend to patrons the day of our events to avoid issues. Remember, this is a business that provides service, so it's not like a retail store with nothing going on. There will be regular paying customers there while the tournament is going on, and the place is loaded with fun to be had.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You can add pad support to the MK arcade cabs? That's pretty damn cool! I'll most likely make it unless something comes up during the day of the actual event!

I've been playing a lot more MKAK so maybe I'll see if I can finally take a game off you Shock.

Cheers!
We can take PSX or PS2 pads and directly fuse the inputs to the arcade machine wiring. Again, this would likely only be possible for UMK3 since the machine is technically ours.

Nathan Frost

Cybernetic Pyro Maniac
I haven't been to a tournament in a long while now, but I will come out for this shock. The venue fee of 15 bucks doesn't bother me at all and honestly it seems you get your moneys worth at the event anyway.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2